Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

All the same grade. What is it? ANSWER REVEALED IN 1ST POST

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 13, 2020 1:11PM in U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS assigned the same grade to all of these bust halves. What grade is it?

ANSWER
Here are slab shots of one. Thoughts? I have some, and some questions.

One is not all MS61's are "ugly or otherwise impaired coins that if they had a small touch of wear they would not likely grade AU58..." (a quote from another thread by a very well respected member and excellent grader). Many of us share this view.

Another is that some of these have obvious rub PCGS couldn't have missed. Technical AU's. Were they market graded? Why as 61's, a grade many of us run from? AU58+ seems a better fit.

Are low grade MS bust halves viewed differently by graders than, say, low grade MS Morgans?

Thanks for all the guesses, fellas!
Lance.

Comments

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

58+

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to say 58+. 58 maybe +. Adding a + in GTG is playing long odds.

• Options
    ilmcoinsilmcoins Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭

Yikes... I was thinking MS

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

58+?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

However, they look almost 68, very nice!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thread. I’ll go with 63.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2020 6:26PM

58...I love them all.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll guess 58.

• Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

Like the 1823 double chin!

• Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2020 6:42PM

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll guess 62.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think these are probably in the 58+ group you have Lance. But as we know, 58s can be 62s or 63s on any given day in the grading room, and the 28, 29, and 30, at least in your images, sure are looking MS......

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough call, I’m going to err on the high side and say 62.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

The 33 looks so much better than the 23 which reminds me that I don’t know much about these. I must be one or two clicks too high.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - never seen such a wide range in a GTG post. I'm feeling better about my total inability to ever get these right.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2020 7:22PM

LOL! Lance, we all know what you collect! Nice ass group of coins!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say 63. If they're AU, you'll need to send them to me so I can study why. :)

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

While there are a couple I might go with AU-58....as a whole, I really think MS-(something). If they were Frankies, or Kennedys, I might go with the ever popular AU-62. But given the age of this series, and the quality of the coins....

MS-63

(I really want to say 64, but I want to pretend I'm a conservative grader). :blush:

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS61

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55,,,, but what do I know about Bust Halfs? Not much,,,,, :o

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't read any guesses yet, but will state that I would be shocked if PCGS gave them all an AU grade. They are too nice for MS60-62, but not moose enough for MS64 or higher, so I will go with MS63.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the way, thanks for the generous giveaway and I hope you pick my post!!! >:)

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

58+

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2020 9:53PM

Beautiful coins and outstanding photography. They’re not 60, 61, or 62s. That leaves 58+ and MS63 or possibly MS63....... possibly even 64, but I’d think they be a bit more lustrous. Forced to choose, I’d be in at MS63.

Editted to add:

I just look at these on my desktop monitor. I think I see actual wear on a couple, and therefore I'm changing my answer to 58+, which is a tempting guess anyhow, as I know you have many nice examples at that grade. AU63 sounds better, but I haven't actually seen that on any labels (yet).

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Agree with St. Feldini and TomB--63.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Commencents said:

Like the 1823 double chin!

Reminds me of one of my Aunts. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    crump41crump41 Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking it's sort of a trick question because they all look ms63/64, but they may turn out to be au58.

I'll go with my first gut reaction and say ms63.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put me in the 58 camp.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, Lance, is that a Large Letter 1830 Bust? Wow. Regardless of grade given by our hosts, those are a beautiful grouping of coins and truly show your taste completely, thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins... I will guess MS62.... Though if I were grading them...They would range from 58 to 63....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oldUScoinsoldUScoins Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

I'll go with MS-62.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Lovely half dollars.
  • Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. As always, excellent coins Lance thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome + GOLD.

Or, 63.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭

Since we have to go with the lowest common denominator, I'll go with 58 and say you really have a great eye for conservatively graded coins.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

58+. Pretty coins!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-63 ... if you prefer an objective number.

DANG! ... if you prefer a subjective response.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put me in the trick question camp, and since all the numbers have been pretty much spoken for I'll guess 53....😅

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the 58 camp.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file