Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Forum rules guidance please

Hello all,

Can anyone lend advice as to who (and how) I should contact to inquire about rules for the forum? I've attempted to contact Mrs. Boyd several times but get no response. My ignorance got me in trouble once...I don't want to do so again.

Thank you for your anticipated help! :)

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2020 6:16AM

PCGS Forum Rules and Guidelines

Third thread from the top of the US Coin Forum. Since she's not answering you if you have a specific question (without violating the rules) ask it here.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EScott83.... Excellent question (and answer provided)... It would be great if all new members take the time to read these rules. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heather has better things to do than baby sit us on her weekend. Ask your question here and perhaps we can help you. Usually you'll be okay if you avoid controversial topics such as politics and keep it focused on coins. Read the rules and use common sense.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    EScott83EScott83 Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

Derryb, Thank you!

ricko, Thank you! I read the rules long ago. I had a question that isn't covered in the rules.

I was inquiring here with fellow collectors in wondering if there was someone other than Mrs. Boyd I should be trying to connect with.

PerryHall...LOL! Thanks for your unilateral incorrect assumption that I asked her on a weekend. Regardless of that, thank you for notifying me of her agenda and priorities. You must be very close with her, eh? As far as implying I need "babysat" well, of course I read the rules long ago so in the spirit of no bad language let me just say.....nothing. I also love "perhaps" and "Usually", those are good to bank on...lots of common sense in doing so! I wish I'd used common sense in my decision to start by asking exactly where I should have (Mrs. Boyd).

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EScott83 said:
    Derryb, Thank you!

ricko, Thank you! I read the rules long ago. I had a question that isn't covered in the rules.

I was inquiring here with fellow collectors in wondering if there was someone other than Mrs. Boyd I should be trying to connect with.

PerryHall...LOL! Thanks for your unilateral incorrect assumption that I asked her on a weekend. Regardless of that, thank you for notifying me of her agenda and priorities. You must be very close with her, eh? As far as implying I need "babysat" well, of course I read the rules long ago so in the spirit of no bad language let me just say.....nothing. I also love "perhaps" and "Usually", those are good to bank on...lots of common sense in doing so! I wish I'd used common sense in my decision to start by asking exactly where I should have (Mrs. Boyd).

You can also PM a question to one of us. You can't get in trouble for a private message.

It's worth noting that not all the rules are written down. In the end, it is the judgment of the moderators.

Keep your sarcasm flying! It doesn't bother me and I could use the alternate target. ;)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

As has already been suggested, if you’re certain that in doing so, it wouldn’t be a rules violation, you could post your question here. And in many cases, asking someone via a private message can be an excellent option. However, keep in mind that some people don’t always treat a “private” message as such.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@EScott83 said:
    Derryb, Thank you!

As far as I know, it’s Ms. (not Mrs.) Boyd. If I’m correct, hopefully you won’t be suspended for your transgression. And if I’m wrong, hopefully I won’t be booted for mine.😉

Actually, shouldn't it be Director Boyd?

[I believe I should be rewarded for the correction!]

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@EScott83 said:
    Derryb, Thank you!

As far as I know, it’s Ms. (not Mrs.) Boyd. If I’m correct, hopefully you won’t be suspended for your transgression. And if I’m wrong, hopefully I won’t be booted for mine.😉

Actually, shouldn’t it be Ms. (Director of Marketing) Boyd?

I owe you a reward, but you owe be a better one.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@EScott83 said:
    Derryb, Thank you!

Actually, shouldn’t it be Ms. (Director of Marketing) Boyd?

I owe you a reward, but you owe be a better one.

I think Director trumps Ms.

You refer to him as President Trump not Mr. President Trump. Speaker Pelosi, not Mrs. Speaker Pelosi.

Now, if we drop the Boyd, I think we can refer to her as "Madam Director".

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2020 10:05AM

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't see the question
    What did I miss???

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2020 1:34PM

the specific rules question has yet to be publicly asked.

it is a plus your transgression was not large enough to warrant the "forum slammer." (jail bars on avatar and posting restrictions)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Transgression? WOW! That speaks volumes. My apologies for incorrectly stating my question in accordance with public opinion.

I'll ask again (hopefully) properly this time: Can/would anyone here please advise me as to a person of authority I can contact to privately ask a forum rules related question that's not covered in the publicly available post of the forum rules? I attempted several times to contact Mrs./Director/Heather Boyd and received no response. Therefore I wonder if she's still the person to contact or (maybe) she's been promoted and there's been a shift in personnel and/or positions thus rendering my previous attempts misguided and feeble?

My goal here is to be respectful to the forum rules.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

why don't you just ask your question here?

• Options

Because nobody "here" has an ounce of authority! I don't understand why that's so hard to grasp?

If I told you you can go to Fairview Ford tomorrow and pick up a new Mustang for free do you think they're going to give it to you? Do you think you could just say "well, Eric said so" it'll change their decision? The real weirdness here is how (sadly) no fellow collectors want to lend any actual advice. Everyone just wants to bash me for trying to do the right thing and everyone just wants to know the question. What does that say?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EScott83 said:
    Hello all,

Can anyone lend advice as to who (and how) I should contact to inquire about rules for the forum? I've attempted to contact Mrs. Boyd several times but get no response. My ignorance got me in trouble once...I don't want to do so again.

Thank you for your anticipated help! :)

If I was troubleshooting this, I would start with what seems unlikely but is possible. How did you try to contact her? Maybe she didn't get your message.

I have nothing but praise and appreciation for the work of moderator @AFLfan over in Sport Talk . I'll tag him here, maybe he can help.

• Options

thsistheshow:

THANK YOU! I attempted to contact her through the link to her here on the forum and through private email (which was successful long ago). I also tried to get guidance from Mr. Peielago but was directed to customer service which yielded a generic response. Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

• Options

Oh...and my apologies for using Mrs. vs. Ms. My error. I often get the two mixed up. Certainly no disrespect intended, in fact just the opposite.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd hang fire until the mods get back to you re: a potentially problematic post.

I don't see any of the posts to your thread as bashing. and good for you for 'trying to do the right thing'.

• Options

Respectfully: "Sometimes if you have to ask if it's okay, maybe the best answer is to not post it." (aka give up) is the direct path to nowhere. There's the 'ol saying "if it were easy everyone would do it". I'm not a "look for easy" personality. I'm a passionately pursue opportunity personality. Comfortable sucks! I want to progress!

I appreciate "sound advice" when "advise" is appropriate and, as such, have found a lot of it here from fellow collectors...thank you all for that! Right now I need the word of authority....or at least to express that I'm diligently seeking it as I should.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

EScoot83, You're not back to asking why many here have FIVE Stars, and yet you only have three, are you?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2020 11:32PM

...keep it U.S. coin related.
    And Heather enforces rule. You may want to contact someone higher. You can private message me. I'll get the message to her.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EScott83 said:
    Respectfully: "Sometimes if you have to ask if it's okay, maybe the best answer is to not post it." (aka give up) is the direct path to nowhere. There's the 'ol saying "if it were easy everyone would do it". I'm not a "look for easy" personality. I'm a passionately pursue opportunity personality. Comfortable sucks! I want to progress!

It's only a "path to nowhere" for one thread idea.
    It still leaves you with infinite opportunities.

My advice is not to create extra work for the moderators, including posting something that is questionable under your understanding of the rules.
    Moderators already have a difficult job that is not very fun; give them a break.
    In some forums they have to deal with a few people who are determined to "push the limits" of the rules,
    possibly because they enjoy challenging authority.
    Don't be that guy, if you enjoy posting here.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EScott83 - You can DM me your question.

@HeatherBoyd is the moderator here, but I may be able to help.

@thisistheshow - thank you for the kind words. It's an interesting gig, but I try my best...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o

Ken
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Friday morning entertainment :D .... Moving along now... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EScott83 said:
    Because nobody "here" has an ounce of authority! I don't understand why that's so hard to grasp?

If I told you you can go to Fairview Ford tomorrow and pick up a new Mustang for free do you think they're going to give it to you? Do you think you could just say "well, Eric said so" it'll change their decision? The real weirdness here is how (sadly) no fellow collectors want to lend any actual advice. Everyone just wants to bash me for trying to do the right thing and everyone just wants to know the question. What does that say?

Is that the Fairview Ford on North G Street?

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post count +1 >:):D

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just be nice. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gosh I’m curious now with all the drama from our OP to learn about what his concern that requires urgent attention. The forum rules sticky thread is pretty straightforward, easy to comprehend, and easy to follow. I could see a non response being an answer in itself.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    Gosh I’m curious now with all the drama from our OP to learn about what his concern that requires urgent attention. The forum rules sticky thread is pretty straightforward, easy to comprehend, and easy to follow. I could see a non response being an answer in itself.

I didn’t see him write that he required urgent attention. And there are grey areas in many rules - here and elsewhere. Maybe he’d rather be safe (In asking) than sorry (in not).

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just be nice.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Catbert said:
    I could see a non response being an answer in itself.

I had the same thought.

same

could be something with a judgment call

@MFeld said:

@Catbert said:

I didn’t see him write that he required urgent attention. And there are grey areas in many rules - here and elsewhere. Maybe he’d rather be safe (In asking) than sorry (in not).

but

looks like we won't know

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EScott83 said:

I think you are selling your fellow forum members short.

As has been suggested, some of the rules are essentially unwritten or at least quite subjective. Many members have been here long enough to generally understand the limits, because we've seen lots of people banned.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EScott83, are you also the ALT Hello123?

• Options

@CoinHoarder said:
    @EScott83, are you also the ALT Hello123?

Let's hope not since having an alt is itself a rules violation.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if he is trying to get permission for another CAC standards thread

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

solid thread, solid thread 👏

• Options
    AttumraAttumra Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

Wow Happy holidays everyone! OP you don't deserve the some of the comments here. It's shameful that some people jumped on the negative bandwagon. Its been a hell year for most of us and maybe a little kindness/understanding would be nice for a change? I used to be like they are , then life through me a curve ball and I learned what's its like to suffer and have questions you don't know the answer to. Most people here want to help and do.

There are no stupid questions just stupid answers!

Enjoy a song that's sure to move your soul to a tranquil place?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg-Qdrr3XSk

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Attumra said:
    ...then life through me a curve ball and I learned what's its like to suffer and have questions
    you don't know the answer to. Most people here want to help and do...

Enjoy a song that's sure to move your soul to a tranquil place?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg-Qdrr3XSk

I'm not sure if his question was in fact answered,
    but I must say this comment hit home...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
This discussion has been closed.