Home U.S. Coin Forum

Pour yourself a drink and watch the Simpson II sale.

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing stuff! A stiff drink will help you hit the bid button. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck to all!

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, and be sure to post your purchases!

• JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I am not even signing in to make sure there are no inadvertent clicks on that bid button!

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

I essentially deleted my Heritage account. They ticked me off!

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

A quick glance at the bids, lowest first, are still out reach of my slush fund.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder how Simpson is doing compared to what he paid?? Too many coins for me to try and track.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other expenditures on my mind at this time.... Good luck to those bidding...Cheers, RickO

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 3:07PM

His 20 D Walker went for $32,400 in MS 66. His 23 S in 65+ will sell at the FUN show this January. I’m not a player, as I like my 64s but it’s still interesting to note the prices. The same coin last sold for $21,850 in 2010. The record price for a 20 D in 66 is $87,000, which was ex Cajun Collection and ex Duckor-This coin was stunning and original, whereas, the Simpson coin was not original. Most recent one sold for $37,600. Simpson did ‘OK’ but not fantastic.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

No stiff drink for me, but I did just fine with a bottle of Cabernet!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • shortnockshortnock Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Wow! Some collectors live their whole lives, and never even see such specimens...and now you have 'em. Congrats!

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2020 7:21PM

@Nic said:

They second finest draped bust coin I have ever seen. Congrats to new owner.

I LOVE that coin! Which one were you speaking of that you thought was finer? There’s a 1796 dime and quarter that are right up there in my book.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka Those patterns are stunning! Congrats!!

P.S.-I was drinking a chocolate porter.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nic said:

Didn't Stewart Blay used to own that coin at one time?

@CoinJunkie said:

@Nic said:

Didn't Stewart Blay used to own that coin at one time?

Yes.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Dang it Andy.......we need to talk ...... you got me on a cut bid...... :D

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll make sure I drink some DUFF.

• PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PhilLynott said:
    Not sure this was even part of the Simpson sale or just someone else consigning a former Simpson coin but regardless I'm happy to add this upgrade love the skin

Nice pickup. I had my eye on this one, saved it, simply got mixed up about the auction. I thought it ended Sunday.

Looks like you got a great deal, I would have bid higher, congrats.

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said:

@PhilLynott said:
    Not sure this was even part of the Simpson sale or just someone else consigning a former Simpson coin but regardless I'm happy to add this upgrade love the skin

Nice pickup. I had my eye on this one, saved it, simply got mixed up about the auction. I thought it ended Sunday.

Looks like you got a great deal, I would have bid higher, congrats.

Thank you and THANK YOU for the mix up too! :smile:

I had several more bids in me as well when I heard the hammer my first thought was "uh oh what did I miss" because I didn't think it had a chance that low always a great and scary feeling at the same time.

Strange the 1901 is same priceguide and similar sales as the much more common 1901-S guess just the fact that not many collect these by year/mm I'll gladly take the rarer one still.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 2:18AM

@Lakesammman said:
    Wonder how Simpson is doing compared to what he paid?? Too many coins for me to try and track.

I don't know about overall, but this one went for $504K, or about half of the $1M paid in 2012.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the patterns I bought went for around 38% of the price realized in the Newman sale about (7) years ago.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    @wondercoin said:
    One of the patterns I bought went for around 38% of the price realized in the Newman sale about (7) years ago.

Wondercoin
    Mitch, could you be more specific regarding the percentage? How about to the nearest 1/10th percent?😉”

Mark. My apologies. I am so used to talking to my wife now at this point about why I bought yet another coin and another and another. I seem to do better with her when I report that I got 62% off etc. it’s obvious you don’t have my problems! Wondercoin

You could also bring it home by stating what you “saved” in dollar terms to make it sound more like a “deal”! After all, isn’t that the language of most female shoppers? 😉

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

@TheMayor said:
    I was happy to walk away with this one after being the underbidder on three coins in part one of the sale.

She's a beaut!

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TheMayor said:
    I was happy to walk away with this one after being the underbidder on three coins in part one of the sale.

@trueblood said:
    She's a beaut!

Indeed she is. Heck of a first post here as well! Welcome @TheMayor

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • RedCopperRedCopper Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I think Simpson did just fine.
    To get $500,000 for a copper 1943 S Copper Lincoln cent in auction
    is darn good .The last time it sold in
    auction it only brought about $100,000 .
    My former 1807 quarter is IMO
    the finest draped bust silver coin of any denomination with total original skin still on the coin .I owned it for
    25 years having obtained it out of the Eliasberg sale .

edited November 22, 2020 9:59PM

@RedCopper said:
    I think Simpson did just fine. To get $500,000 for a copper 1943 S Copper Lincoln cent in auction is darn good. The last time it sold in auction it only brought about $100,000.

My former 1807 quarter is IMO the finest draped bust silver coin of any denomination with total original skin still on the coin. I owned it for 25 years having obtained it out of the Eliasberg sale.

To each their own, but at first blush it doesn't seem fine to me. It reminds me a bit of a major dealer saying it's okay to lose 30% because some stocks lose even more. Of course, it could be that Simpson knew he was overpaying because he simply wanted to pry it from strong hands. If he knew he was overpaying and could take a loss, it would be okay, like enjoying a depreciating Ferrari or McLaren.

An issue with the auction price only approach is that the PCGS Price Guide lists it at $1M, so perhaps the price guides shouldn't use private treaty prices?

capturing 50% of the guide on that 43-S Cent might be just fine. Remember, I bought one of my High R7 (former R8) pattern coins in this sale for 0.38297872340425531914893617021276595744 Cents on the dollar. I trust Mark is impressed with the math now?

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    edited November 23, 2020 12:07AM

@wondercoin said:
    capturing 50% of the guide on that 43-S Cent might be just fine. Remember, I bought one of my High R7 (former R8) pattern coins in this sale for 0.38297872340425531914893617021276595744 Cents on the dollar. I trust Mark is impressed with the math now?

Wondercoin

I keep telling myself I should participate in this sale!

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

Mitch, I am and I’m not even going to double check your number(s).😄

Zion’s - Simpson knew he overpaid on the 43 s copper and the 43 D copper. He wanted a complete set of 43 copper
    Cents. He was the 1st person to do so ! He had a lot of passion when he chased coins.
    It is a bad policy IMO when PCGS lists prices for coins selling in private treaty unless they state so.It is also a bad policy to list prices for coins that have not sold in a particular grade . It can be both positive and negative.

@RedCopper said:
    Zion’s - Simpson knew he overpaid on the 43 s copper and the 43 D copper. He wanted a complete set of 43 copper
    Cents. He was the 1st person to do so ! He had a lot of passion when he chased coins.
    It is a bad policy IMO when PCGS lists prices for coins selling in private treaty unless they state so.It is also a bad policy to list prices for coins that have not sold in a particular grade . It can be both positive and negative.

Pretty much agreed, but I have a question. Does anybody buying 500K+ coins actually pay any real attention to price guides?

Andy Lustig

edited November 23, 2020 6:17PM

@MrEureka said:

@RedCopper said:

Pretty much agreed, but I have a question. Does anybody buying 500K+ coins actually pay any real attention to price guides?

Only chatroom weenies ;)

They are referenced a lot in the Hansen thread.

edited November 23, 2020 6:58PM

@RedCopper said:

Nothing wrong with knowingly overpaying for something you enjoy. Sometimes the enjoyment of the hobby is worth that much. I just overpaid for a Pittman piece.

Zion’s - Simpsons 43D will sell in January. He paid $ 1,700,000. What is your guess for the over under ?
    I say under $ 1,000,000 with the juice

If I am not mistaken, I was in the auction room the last time the 43-D Cent made an auction appearance. I seem to recall it selling for around $250,000, give or take? If it hammers for 3x-4x that amount, it would appear to me Heritage / Simpson did very well on the coin. Meanwhile, I am trying to study up on the other 400+ pattern coins that are soon to be open for bidding!

Wondercoin

Simpson losing $500K on a coin is the same as me losing $1K - no big deal.

The 43D copper last sold for $ 205,000 in a Goldberg’s auction.
    Simpson chased the coin for almost 5 years. The $ 1,700,000 he paid for it went to charity .

@RedCopper said:
    The 43D copper last sold for $ 205,000 in a Goldberg’s auction.
    Simpson chased the coin for almost 5 years. The $ 1,700,000 he paid for it went to charity .

Do we know what the chasing entailed here? Was it mostly passive waiting? Or was it more active, like making unsolicited offers?

edited November 24, 2020 9:07AM

@RedCopper said:
    Zion’s - Simpsons 43D will sell in January. He paid $ 1,700,000. What is your guess for the over under ?
    I say under $ 1,000,000 with the juice

I'm in the under camp as well.

I'm curious if these will end up with the same new owner?

@wondercoin said:
    If I am not mistaken, I was in the auction room the last time the 43-D Cent made an auction appearance. I seem to recall it selling for around $250,000, give or take? If it hammers for 3x-4x that amount, it would appear to me Heritage / Simpson did very well on the coin. Meanwhile, I am trying to study up on the other 400+ pattern coins that are soon to be open for bidding!

Wondercoin

Ready to start a few more pattern sets?

Andy Lustig

Coins - He had Laura chasing the coin , so use your imagination .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file