Home U.S. Coin Forum

1935 Arkansas half dollar Discussion Closed

Matthew17Matthew17 Posts: 76
edited November 21, 2020 8:39PM in U.S. Coin Forum

__****__

Just picked this up for $80 I thought it was a fair deal. What do y'all think.

Comments

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure whether or not the price was good or bad, but I’d be afraid to purchase it because it will be hard to sell it to someone else with the “cleaned” noted on the slab like that if you ever want to sell it.

Mr_Spud

• I like it, especially the reverse’ I don’t really care if comments are cleaned because I collect them for the designs, not to flip..

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2020 10:58AM

@Quincyboy12 said:
    I like it, especially the reverse’ I don’t really care if comments are cleaned because I collect them for the designs, not to flip..

Everything has a price. If you like it at that price, not a problem. It's supposed to be fun

I agree with that, but sometimes I like to upgrade and sell off the old one.

Mr_Spud

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2020 12:24PM

Not for me. Prefer MS64 or higher.

It wb hard sell. A good example of MS60 Details coin though.

With CPG $112 for MS60, $128 MS64, $136 MS 65 (what a buy opty!) why not go for a MS65 coin? A nice MS65 of this issue is a coin I can easily retail.

Don’t get it y recruiting 1 star player when u could get 4 or 5 star player.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am wary of impaired coins but it is a good looking coin so if you know what you are getting into and are happy with it then I say well done.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is about as illiquid as can be. Some coins have all the bells and whistles, some have all the warning signs. This is the latter.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes cheap is not cheap enough. That is the case here.

• Matthew17Matthew17 Posts: 76
    edited November 21, 2020 1:29PM

edited November 21, 2020 1:18PM

edited November 21, 2020 1:18PM

• goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

You asked what we thought.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    In my opinion that is a bad deal on your part.

This is a common coin (ignore the original mintage and instead focus on extant pieces) and one that is typically found in choice mint state grades for very little more than what you paid for a cleaned example. I don't know how bad the hairlines are throughout the entirety of the coin, but that obverse has been abused.

As usual, Tom offered excellent feedback.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• I actually like these type of coins I don't care if they have been cleaned. They are in my budget.

• 87redcivic87redcivic Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

If you crack it out, it won't be un-cleaned... but... it won't "say" cleaned at least. I like the design, and it is something you'll never find in change. Enjoy your new coin Matthew17!! :)

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heavily hairlined by cleaning. Someone else's problem is now your problem. Don't buy problem commemoratives. The "market" does not want them. The "market" for the classic commemoratives is weak enough as it is.

All glory is fleeting.

But at least you bought it knowing it was cleaned, if it had been sold to you for even a higher price as a problem free coin you might have been really disappointed if someone later pointed it out as being a problematic coin. I think a lot of newer collectors get turned off and quit collecting if someone rips them off by not disclosing a problem and they find out later when they show it to other coin collectors. With this one you can enjoy it because you like it and you can also study it with a magnifying lens and get good at detecting cleaned coins. Then, if someone tries to sell you a cleaned coin without disclosing it was cleaned you won’t be as likely to get ripped off.

Mr_Spud

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are buying it to flip, you lose. If you are buying it for your collection, you win. Buy what YOU like, my opinion means nothing. And i think that a whole collection of coins cleaned in MS60 would be kinda neat.
    But then again, how many MS 60 coins do you see? I don't think you could put a whole set of these together in MS60. JMHO

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2020 3:15PM

@Matthew17 said:
    I actually like these type of coins I don't care if they have been cleaned. They are in my budget.

If you like it then that's all that really matters. I realize that you are on a budget, but in the future I would suggest that you save your money a bit longer and buy better coins. There's no hurry.

@Matthew17 said:
    I actually like these type of coins I don't care if they have been cleaned. They are in my budget.

We are a blunt group.

BUT, if you like it at that price that is GOOD ENOUGH.

Personally, I would have liked that coin better at $65 or so. But $80 isn't horrible if you like it.

The advice of my colleagues is also correct within its context:
    1. It is harder to sell a details coin than a straight grade.
    2. There is not a huge difference in price between MS60 and MS65. It doesn't jump until MS66.
    3. It is usually better to wait and get the better piece than buy the hole filler.
    4. You may some day want to sell and you will be less happy with the coin then.

BUT BUT BUT...if you like it at that price, that should be all that matters.

• @jmlanzaf said:

@Matthew17 said:

We are a blunt group.

BUT, if you like it at that price that is GOOD ENOUGH.

Personally, I would have liked that coin better at $65 or so. But $80 isn't horrible if you like it.

The advice of my colleagues is also correct within its context:
    1. It is harder to sell a details coin than a straight grade.
    2. There is not a huge difference in price between MS60 and MS65. It doesn't jump until MS66.
    3. It is usually better to wait and get the better piece than buy the hole filler.
    4. You may some day want to sell and you will be less happy with the coin then.

BUT BUT BUT...if you like it at that price, that should be all that matters.

Thanks for all the advice. The guy I buy these coins from I deal with a lot.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@87redcivic said:
    If you crack it out, it won't be un-cleaned... but... it won't "say" cleaned at least. I like the design, and it is something you'll never find in change. Enjoy your new coin Matthew17!! :)

+1

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

You asked so.... I would Never buy a coin that doesn’t straight grade.

edited November 21, 2020 4:05PM

Always make sure you get this type of coin at the lowest possible price. Talk the seller down as much as possible. Some dealers don't like these kinds of coins in their inventory and may give you a better deal then you think.

As always, be an educated buyer. If you know what you are buying and know the upside/downside, and the price is OK with you, then you are OK.

Soak up all the advice here so that it will be part of your knowledge as you go forward.

If the Arkansas inspires you and also prompts some more education then it is a home run.

Im rather surprised no one had mentioned the green on the wing. It could be PVC.

• lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could have done better

LCoopie = Les

@Matthew17 said:
    @rec78 said:

Always make sure you get this type of coin at the lowest possible price. Talk the seller down as much as possible. Some dealers don't like these kinds of coins in their inventory and may give you a better deal then you think.

When he was looking up a price on it he would look up the price in the price guide and then he went on ebay found a 1936 that sold for 84.99 and and was the same grade and was cleaned worse than this one was. He gives me good deals I dont think I would have a problem getting $80 for it if I ever want to resell it.

Greysheet bid for an MS-60 coin that is not cleaned is $83. An MS-63 is only about $90.

No offense, but you would have to put in some effort to get over $65 for it if you wanted to sell it now. And I'm not talking to a dealer. $85 on eBay with free shipping is only about $72 net. And that's the only comp on eBay.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2020 7:48PM

@Matthew17 said:
    @rec78 said:

When he was looking up a price on it he would look up the price in the price guide and then he went on ebay found a 1936 that sold for 84.99 and and was the same grade and was cleaned worse than this one was. He gives me good deals I dont think I would have a problem getting $80 for it if I ever want to resell it.

A 1936-S, PCGS Unc. details, cleaned example brought $74 in a sale last month. When you’re looking for comps, don’t look only for ones of the same date. Many coin types, including some commemorative issues, include different dates that are worth the same amount. They are in essence, type coins.

I think you got a fair deal at $80 for a generally undesirable coin. And at the same time, that you’d be lucky to get more than $60 for it, upon resale. But as long as you (hopefully) understand that and you’re happy with it, great.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

For real-time comparison, there is a 1935-S graded MS63 (graded by our host) on the bst for $95 delivered. In contrast, there is the appeal of paying for a coin and receiving it in hand immediately, rather than waiting.

Full disclosure, the listing is mine. I debated whether to comment at all, but it does seem relevant to this discussion. ;)

edited November 21, 2020 8:02PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Matthew17 said:
    @rec78 said:

Greysheet bid for an MS-60 coin that is not cleaned is $83. An MS-63 is only about $90.

No offense, but you would have to put in some effort to get over $65 for it if you wanted to sell it now. And I'm not talking to a dealer. $85 on eBay with free shipping is only about $72 net. And that's the only comp on eBay.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/fz/bewmmg3k2t5e.png "")

If this one sold for 85 and how bad it looks there is somebody out there that would pay $80 for mine I have no doubt might take some time makes no difference to me.

Yes that is a homely example. :p

• @JBK said:

I see so many cleaned coins selling on ebay I dont understand why people say cleaned coins wont sell that seems like that's all that sells on ebay.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Matthew17 said:

@JBK said:

I see so many cleaned coins selling on ebay I dont understand why people say cleaned coins wont sell that seems like that's all that sells on ebay.

"I see so many cleaned coins selling on eBay..."
    Yes, as the owners don't want them.

edited November 21, 2020 8:13PM

@MFeld said:

@Matthew17 said:
    @rec78 said:

A 1936-S, PCGS Unc. details, cleaned example brought $74 in a sale last month. When you’re looking for comps, don’t look only for ones of the same date. Many coin types, including some commemorative issues, include different dates that are worth the same amount. They are in essence, type coins.

I think you got a fair deal at $80 for a generally undesirable coin. And at the same time, that you’d be lucky to get more than $60 for it, upon resale. But as long as you (hopefully) understand that and you’re happy with it, great.

@JBK said:

This coin sold for 65 dollars on ebay thats about a 30 discount from retail, that's the same discount I got on mine I think I got a fair deal.

edited November 21, 2020 8:27PM

@abcde12345 said:

@Matthew17 said:

@JBK said:

"I see so many cleaned coins selling on eBay..."
    Yes, as the owners don't want them.

So why do people buy them then, if people dont want them. That can also go the same way for straight graded coins they sell alot of those to I guess the owners don't want straight graded coins as well but alot of people buy them as well.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be fair, you did ask people what they thought.

@Matthew17 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Matthew17 said:
    Discussion Closed

Ah, it does not really work like that,

You know what that comment tells me most of these people dont know nothing about coins and just want to put people down about what they buy.

Correction BOY - most of these people know a lot more than you do. You can't beat experience. No one is beating you up.

@Matthew17 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Matthew17 said:
    Discussion Closed

Ah, it does not really work like that,

You know what that comment tells me most of these people dont know nothing about coins and just want to put people down about what they buy.

Don’t ask and no one will tell

LCoopie = Les
  • bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Matthew, I suggest you sell the Arkansas on eBay with a .99 starting bid. It will be an eye opening experience for you. Many experienced Dealers and Collectors on these forums. Listen to what they are telling you.

edited November 21, 2020 9:19PM

I believe most of the regulars here don’t know nothing.

Thread is open.

LCoopie = Les
This discussion has been closed.