Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 9:54AM

@Matthew17 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Matthew17 said:
    Discussion Closed

Ah, it does not really work like that,

You know what that comment tells me most of these people dont know nothing about coins and just want to put people down about what they buy.

Many of "these people" don't know as much as they think they do. However, up until recently on this thread, they were pretty much telling you the truth.

$80 for the coin you bought isn't unreasonable.

As I indicated, you might be able to sell it on eBay for $80-ish but that is net $65-$70. That is not a horrible bid/ask spread, so you didn't get taken.

You like the coin at $80, so I don't see the problem.

But, most collectors with a little more money than you would never buy the cleaned coin for $80 when they can buy a no problem MS-63 for $100-$110.

Some of the more recent comments from some of the curmudgeons around here are unnecessary and, frankly, a bit wrong. You didn't buy the coin to flip it, so who cares that you would lose $15 if you sold it tomorrow. You like the coin, so who cares if no one else does.

We have an "ignore" function, just put curmudgeons on Ignore and you won't have to see their nonsense.

@MasonG said:
    To be fair, you did ask people what they thought.

To be fair, he asked if it was a "fair deal" at $80. The answer to that is "yes". It's not a bargain and it's not a rip-off at that price.

@BryceM said:
    This is a pretty rough-n-tumble crowd, but they'll go out of their way to help you too.... if you ask for it. If you actually want to learn what we think a nice Arkansas commem would look like (at any price point) we'll tell you.

For me, this is a coin that has no place in a serious collection. For a trinket, it's OK, but I wouldn't pay more than the bullion value of the silver for it.

Except no one sells these for bullion value, even in much worse condition. $80 is a fair retail price for that coin, which is all he really asked. The other advice he got is mostly correct, but it has started to get mean.

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Matthew, I suggest you sell the Arkansas on eBay with a .99 starting bid. It will be an eye opening experience for you. Many experienced Dealers and Collectors on these forums. Listen to what they are telling you.

That is really not the test of value, it's the test of demand. You can start no problem Morgan $s at $0.99 and not get them anywhere near legitimate value at the close.

@Smudge said:
    You asked so.... I would Never buy a coin that doesn’t straight grade.

Really? How about 1793 Chain Cent with "environmental damage"?

And don't get me started on the number of cleaned bust halves that have been straight-graded...

edited November 22, 2020 6:25AM

That is two newbies that have been crapped on this week by the forum. And y'all think I'm the ass in the room...

My eBay ID is "Everythingvaluable" because there are so many different things that have value, but also because everything has a price. It is simply untrue that the 60 details coin is unsaleable. It is more difficult than a straight-graded coin. It is definitely more difficult than the MS65. But if you had $80 to spend and wanted an Arkansas, that isn't the worst option. You could buy an XF no problem coin, maybe an AU50, but it might not be as pleasing to HIS eyes.

If I owned that coin and were selling it, I wouldn't take less than $70 for it. Why? Because I couldn't buy it for less than $55 or $60 in good conscience.

Would I seek out such a coin to buy? NO. But that's because I can afford the $130 for the nicer one.

I think the bottom line here shouldn't be to crap all over his coin. He didn't overpay for the coin. $80 is a reasonable retail price. He likes it. Y'all are correct that buying the straight 65 is a better option. But saying that isn't the same as crapping all over this coin.

Geez.

edited November 22, 2020 6:16AM

https://archive.stacksbowers.com/?q=85ef8eda-8f00-4fe9-b534-b5a344f71e35

For all of you "market experts", look at all the details commems Stacks just sold in their November internet auction INCLUDING an Arkansas (PCGS cleaned) for $80.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have received a lot of very good advice in this thread. It is obvious you don't want such advice.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 7:04AM

@jmlanzaf

Yes, the replies turned mean, but mostly only after the OP’s comments turned a bit nasty themselves. When people ask for advice and then express that they don’t like that advice, the subsequent dogpile is pretty predictable.

Also, I didn’t say the coin was only worth bullion value - I said that’s what I would pay for it. My numismatic interest in a coin like this is zero, thus, for me, its value lies in its bullion content. Most of us aren’t dealers and we look at coins through a different set of eyes. If this coin is worth more than that to you, the OP, or other collectors that’s great. I don’t really care how/what others collect. I still don’t think he got very good value for his money in this instance - that’s all.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Matthew17 --- Just picked this up for $80 I thought it was a fair deal. What do y'all think.
    TomB --- ** typically found in choice mint state grades for very little more than what you paid for a cleaned example**

as Cougar1978 posted, you could have purchased a much higher quality Mint State example of this coin for very little morethan you $80 price, still within any tight budget. I accept and understand that many collectors do just that, collect with no anticipation of ever selling, but that is a short-sighted view.

it is better for a beginning collector to seek advice (here) prior to making a mistake rather than after that mistake has been done.

@BryceM said:
    @jmlanzaf

Yes, the replies turned mean, but mostly only after the OP’s comments turned a bit nasty themselves. When people ask for advice and then express that they don’t like that advice, the subsequent dogpile is pretty predictable.

Also, I didn’t say the coin was only worth bullion value - I said that’s what I would pay for it. My numismatic interest in a coin like this is zero, thus, for me, its value lies in its bullion content. Most of us aren’t dealers and we look at coins through a different set of eyes. If this coin is worth more than that to you, the OP, or other collectors that’s great. I don’t really care how/what others collect. I still don’t think he got very good value for his money in this instance - that’s all.

I agree. I have no interest in such a coin. But there are people who do and $80 is a fair retail price

@bolivarshagnasty said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Matthew, I suggest you sell the Arkansas on eBay with a .99 starting bid. It will be an eye opening experience for you. Many experienced Dealers and Collectors on these forums. Listen to what they are telling you.

That is really not the test of value, it's the test of demand. You can start no problem Morgan $s at $0.99 and not get them anywhere near legitimate value at the close.

You are offering this young man a pass for buying cleaned coins. He has purchased others from the same Dealer. It’s better for him to here the truth now, rather than trying to move a collection of illiquid cleaned coin years from now. That might cause him to leave the hobby.

The truth is that $80 is a fair price for that coin. The truth is he knew it was cleaned when he bought it. And, yes, the truth is he'd be better off with a better coin.

He doesn't need a pass or condemnation. He knew exactly what he was buying. He didn't score nor was he taken.

There had to be a way to offer FRIENDLY advice without crapping all over him.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Matthew17 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Matthew17 said:
    Discussion Closed

You know what that comment tells me most of these people dont know nothing about coins and just want to put people down about what they buy.

We have an "ignore" function, just put curmudgeons like DelawareDoons on Ignore and you won't have to see their nonsense.

You just do not like me because I do not take your crap and called you out for not having a clue about the mint releases that came out recently. If you are gonna call me out by name at least have the decency to tag me in it rather than talk your garbage behind my back.

Also, what's with the 10 posts in a row? You can hit the quote button multiple times, grandpa, and put it all in one post instead spamming things up.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

edited November 22, 2020 8:18AM

@DelawareDoons said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Matthew17 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Matthew17 said:
    Discussion Closed

We have an "ignore" function, just put curmudgeons like DelawareDoons on Ignore and you won't have to see their nonsense.

You just do not like me because I do not take your crap and called you out for not having a clue about the mint releases that came out recently. If you are gonna call me out by name at least have the decency to tag me in it rather than talk your garbage behind my back.

Also, what's with the 10 posts in a row? You can hit the quote button multiple times, grandpa, and put it all in one post instead spamming things up.

Actually, go back and look at my response to your criticism on the Mint issues. It was YOU who did not have a clue as to the number of people online and number of coins sold. I supplied references for your perusal. But the point is not the 70,000 vs. 75,000 or whatever. You state things in the bluntest, most borderline insulting way possible. Rather than say "75,000 not 70,000", you say "Do you know anything? It's 75,000 not 70,000".

I neither like you nor dislike you. But you crapped on this kid, Junior, and with faulty information. $80 is a fair retail price for that coin. He didn't "overpay" - nor did he get a deal. And at the same time you crapped on him, you told him to get off your forum if he didn't want to take the crap. That does not seem the best way to encourage new blood or new collectors.

And if you quote and respond to 10 different people in a single post, it becomes really hard to read on top of the fact that you are tagging 10 different people.

@DelawareDoons said:

@Matthew17 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Matthew17 said:
    Discussion Closed

I mean... You are the one who overpaid for a cleaned coin. This is a forum of high-end collectors. People who have been dealing longer than I have been alive have chimed in on this coin and given you their opinion.

If you want to coddled, go visit one of the other coin forums out there that encourages coddling. You will get nothing but the truth here.

Since you wanted a direct response, do you really think this is the best way to deal with a new collector?

1. $80 is not "overpaid". A similar coin sold on eBay for $85 and Stack's sold one this week for $80. That is a fair retail price.
    2. This is NOT a forum of high-end collectors. It is a PCGS forum dedicated to "U.S. Coins" not "High end U.S. coins". How many CRH threads does this "high-end" forum have going? How many threads dedicated to Mint products?
    3. Being constructive isn't the same as coddling. You don't have to swoon over his purchase to suggest that it was a fair price but he could have done better (as some posters did).
    4. You don't get the "truth" here. You get opinions. And whether "truth" or "opinion", it doesn't have to be delivered with such attitude.
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Re point 2 and 4: I do think this board attracts more experienced collectors and dealers than any other coin forum and that emphasis is not a bad thing. It also can be blunt which may not be the right place for some who would be more comforted elsewhere.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

@Catbert said:
    Re point 2 and 4: I do think this board attracts more experienced collectors and dealers than any other coin forum and that emphasis is not a bad thing. It also can be blunt which may not be the right place for some who would be more comforted elsewhere.

I mostly agree.

There are some very high-end collectors on this forum. There are also some pretty low-end collectors here. I'm pretty sure Hansen and Simpson don't do a lot of CRH.

And yes, this place is pretty blunt. But there's really a continuum from coddling to constructive to blunt to mean. We need to be constructive even if blunt. So the people who said "that's an okay purchase but you might consider buying the MS63/4/5 coin for just a little more money" would be both honest and not hurtful.

But this is the second thread in 2 days where the newbie poster pretty much told us we were a bunch of mean old men and they were going away. That is hardly the way to foster either new members or new collectors. Maybe we're all a bunch of blunt curmudgeons because we've chased all the nice people away.

@2dueces said:
    This is a very lively discussion for an $80 coin. I’ve seen less comments for an Omega.

LOL. Not THE Omega thread...

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    But this is the second thread in 2 days where the newbie poster pretty much told us we were a bunch of mean old men and they were going away. That is hardly the way to foster either new members or new collectors. Maybe we're all a bunch of blunt curmudgeons because we've chased all the nice people away.

Or they go to another forum that is a better match for what they want. I endorse courtesy, but perhaps newbies should go from CoinTalk and then to CU once they gain more experience and perspective. You may disagree, but changing our forum culture to fit them is impractical.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Matthew17 said:
    Just picked this up for $80 I thought it was a fair deal. What do y'all think.

It was a fair deal at that price, however I would agree with the thoughts of many that for just a few dollars more you would have been able to purchase a nicer example that would not have the cleaning marks.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

@keets said:
    aside to jmlanzaf --- maybe it's time for you to take another "vacation" if this is what you have to offer after leaving for a short while. your temperment and style of posting in this thread is reminiscent of your style when you fist arrived, abrasive at worst and contrarian at best.

Yes, you need me to go away because OTHER posters are chasing away newbies. My suggestion that we be nicer to newbies is abrasive?

This is not an "aside", it is a public confrontation. Maybe you should just use the "ignore" button so you don't have to be bothered with my abrasive calls for courtesy.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Quincyboy12 said:
    I like it, especially the reverse’ I don’t really care if comments are cleaned because I collect them for the designs, not to flip..

Everything has a price. If you like it at that price, not a problem. It's supposed to be fun

@keets This is me being abrasive and contrarian?

@jmlanzaf said:

@Matthew17 said:
    I actually like these type of coins I don't care if they have been cleaned. They are in my budget.

We are a blunt group.

BUT, if you like it at that price that is GOOD ENOUGH.

Personally, I would have liked that coin better at $65 or so. But $80 isn't horrible if you like it.

The advice of my colleagues is also correct within its context:
    1. It is harder to sell a details coin than a straight grade.
    2. There is not a huge difference in price between MS60 and MS65. It doesn't jump until MS66.
    3. It is usually better to wait and get the better piece than buy the hole filler.
    4. You may some day want to sell and you will be less happy with the coin then.

BUT BUT BUT...if you like it at that price, that should be all that matters.

edited November 22, 2020 9:52AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Matthew17 said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Matthew17 said:
    Discussion Closed

Many of "these people" don't know as much as they think they do. However, up until recently on this thread, they were pretty much telling you the truth.

$80 for the coin you bought isn't unreasonable.

As I indicated, you might be able to sell it on eBay for $80-ish but that is net $65-$70. That is not a horrible bid/ask spread, so you didn't get taken.

You like the coin at $80, so I don't see the problem.

But, most collectors with a little more money than you would never buy the cleaned coin for $80 when they can buy a no problem MS-63 for $100-$110.

Some of the more recent comments from some of the curmudgeons around here are unnecessary and, frankly, a bit wrong. You didn't buy the coin to flip it, so who cares that you would lose $15 if you sold it tomorrow. You like the coin, so who cares if no one else does.

We have an "ignore" function, just put curmudgeons on Ignore and you won't have to see their nonsense.

Edited to add: I removed the name of the person I called out so as not to do it again. THAT was abrasive towards that one individual - true confessions.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:
    To be fair, you did ask people what they thought.

To be fair, he asked if it was a "fair deal" at $80. The answer to that is "yes". It's not a bargain and it's not a rip-off at that price.

All I was saying is that he asked people what they think. When you do that, many will. And quite often, responses provided will be to questions that weren't asked. That's just the way it seems to go.

BTW- I would agree that $80 is a fair deal.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 10:35AM

$80 for that coin.

I just spent $90 for two scoops of bait to go Tuna fishing.

I do not have any bait left and all I have is the memory of the trip.

You have the $80 coin in hand and I have nothing in hand.

I got a way better deal on my 90 bucks than you got on your 80 bucks :o

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2020 11:07AM

I guess the OP is either gone or has abandoned this thread.

I think pcgs would like to attract more people to the forums, but telling the new people that ask opinions "it's not worth" or "a better way would have" seems fair to me. I guess I'm guilty of blunt. what does not blunt look like? (not a CT reader)

oh, and despite the upsettedness directed our way first, the words turned much harsher back to the OP. some restraint could have been used there. the person is new.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

to Matthew17:

changing a title to "delete" or "closed" is putting honey out for the flies. (yes, we're that immature)

If you are not replying to this thread, then that is the best thing to do.

stick around, though.

you could get return privileges then ask us what we think after the purchase. you might not like the ideas, you might like them. you don't have to follow them.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

aside number two to jmlanzaf --- this is page two of the thread. you have 17 posts on page two which has a total, after my reply, of 33 posts. if you don't understand that there's a problem with your style, than I can't help you.

@keets said:
    aside number two to jmlanzaf --- this is page two of the thread. you have 17 posts on page two which has a total, after my reply, of 33 posts. if you don't understand that there's a problem with your style, than I can't help you.

It's a problem for you, not for me.

The "ignore" button solves your problem!

Aside to Keets - if people didn't engage me with complaints about my complaint, there would be 1 post from me not 17. Like this post (#18?). It only exists because you bothered to insert another snide aside.

hopeless.

@keets said:
    hopeless.

Don't be hard on yourself. I still have hope for you.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

All coins need love. <3
    If the OP is happy with it, that is all that matters. :)
    Many here spend more on a night out on the town.
    I spend more any time I go to a casino.
    Anything under $100 is the price of entertainment. ;)
    With coin collecting it is good idea to buy the best your budget will allow.
    It is best to stay within your budget to prevent financial hardship.
    The OP may have abandoned this thread & may have abandoned the forum.
    The thread has taken a non-productive turn.

No need to beat a dead horse. :/
    This thread should be

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@btcollects said:
    I got to the dumpster fire late but wanted to jump on the coin is fugly pile

Dang! That's a pearl of wisdom! The forum would have to shut down without your wonderful contributions. :/

edited November 22, 2020 3:47PM

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@btcollects said:
    I got to the dumpster fire late but wanted to jump on the coin is fugly pile

Dang! That's a pearl of wisdom! The forum would have to shut down without your wonderful contributions. :/

LOL

It wasn't so much "the coin is fugly" part of this thread that got to me. It's when the OP got mad and he was told that if he didn't like it he should find a different forum. [Which was followed be Keets telling me to find a different forum.

If I were PCGS, I might close the whole forum. Their name is on it. We ran off two newbie collectors in 2 days. That is not good for business.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to go off topic or anything, but I've noticed that PCGS doesn't use numerical grades with details coins. I assume that's so that people don't think that an Unc. Details coin should be worth the same as an MS 60. Does ANACS ever use a numerical grade that is above the minimum for the verbal grade? That is, is there such a thing as an AU 58 Details ANACS holder?

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    Not to go off topic or anything, but I've noticed that PCGS doesn't use numerical grades with details coins. I assume that's so that people don't think that an Unc. Details coin should be worth the same as an MS 60. Does ANACS ever use a numerical grade that is above the minimum for the verbal grade? That is, is there such a thing as an AU 58 Details ANACS holder?

Yes, for example, I’ve seen AU53, AU55 and AU58 details grade coins.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

I've never seen anything higher than MS60 Details on an ANACS label. That's apparently what any uncirculated "problem" coin gets assigned by them, regardless of what the coin might have graded without the problem.

@MFeld said:

@daltex said:

It is interesting that they will use 53 or 55 but not 61 or 62. I wonder why.

edited November 22, 2020 7:04PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@daltex said:

It is interesting that they will use 53 or 55 but not 61 or 62. I wonder why.

That distinction makes sense to me. Generally, I think it’s much easier to determine the condition (based upon wear) of a problem circulated coin, than the condition (to a single grading point) of a problem mint state coin, were it not for the problem.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

For all of you "market experts", look at all the details commems Stacks just sold in their November internet auction INCLUDING an Arkansas (PCGS cleaned) for $80.

I don't like the OP's cleaned coin nor the one at Stacks! I'd much rather purchase the $480 Arkansas coin just below the cleaned coin at Stacks.

@drei3ree said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I don't like the OP's cleaned coin nor the one at Stacks! I'd much rather purchase the $480 Arkansas coin just below the cleaned coin at Stacks.

A preference for a $480 example is a moot point for someone who doesn’t have nearly that much to spend.

This discussion has been closed.