Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A nice fat (long due) parcel from the US

SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 18, 2020 3:58AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Ceylon 1926 specimen one cent 1926 PCGS SP66RD ex King Norton mint collection.

1868-A one drachma PCGS MS64+, ex Atlas, I’ve been waiting since March for it.

Egypt Fuad 1935-H specimen one mil PCGS SP65RB ex King Norton mint collection

Great Britain farthing 1940 PCGS MS64RD

Greece 1959, 10 drs PCGS MS67

Great Britain farthing 1951 1/4d PCGS PR65RB

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great lineup! Why did it take so long to reach you?

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020 4:02AM

Because of a thing called COVID19.... B)

The King Norton Mint collection coins are from Greg Margulies (Ceylon, Egypt)
    The Greek drachma is from Atlas.
    The farthings are for my complete 1917-1956 from the last blackened 1917 in ms65 to a full red set, also from Greg,
    yet the vast majority of the farthings in the set are from the late Colin Cooke, raw,
    that also included a 1/4d 1862 that graded PCGS MS65RD.

I also got a raw Japanese 1889 5 sen, (chrysanthemumum) from Karl and Joanne Stephens, still strong in their semi-retirement, for my Danco type set labeled "lovely sharp bu", or a raw MS64. That's how I'm filling it up, BU to lovely sharp or choice bu according to his lingo. One such coin every 6 months or a year and I haven't got any 50 sen or yen yet.

The 10 drs gold PCGS MS61 is already resold. I own a PCGS MS63 that I just submitted for reconsideration, along with a 1883 20 lepta MS64 for conservation. In a super quick turnaround, express special, we had the US grader giving free pre grade opinions at a PCGS dealership, 10 mins from my house. And they're coming again in December.

It's coin season boys, the NYINC auctions are around the corner, and what an auction it will be.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I share your elation on the receipt of the package. Nice endorphin rush to enjoy while you realize steps forward on the collecting journey. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I was going to buy the 1868 drachma, but you got to it first. Enjoy!

• atomatom Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coins!! With a long wait like that you'd better acquire something new right away

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

could it be this package is merely "big boned" ?

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific coins. I wonder about the interest and high grade survival rate among modern Greek coins- post 1945. I like the Ceylon one cent.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    could it be this package is merely "big boned" ?

lol

I prefer his straight-forward European way of speaking!

@Elmhurst said:
    I was going to buy the 1868 drachma, but you got to it first. Enjoy!

😮, thank you! 😃

@coinkat said:
    Terrific coins. I wonder about the interest and high grade survival rate among modern Greek coins- post 1945. I like the Ceylon one cent.

You are correct about the high grade, HIGH survival rate among post WW2 coins, but the new trend is to concentrate on these coins, @ incredible prices if you ask me, for ridiculously high grades that can be replicated hundreds of times in the near future. I personally own them in raw choice gem BU , at least after 1965. The 1954-1964 period is ,I decided , a period worth spending a bit extra for already slabbed PCGS material such as the 10 drs MS67 that cost less than $50. It will be the third time I’m building the set and I have it raw in choice gem BU too. The price of the set has been a roller coaster since 15+ years ago...

I like the Ceylon cent too. Greg sold 3 of them, and I got the last one, but still nice considering.

I also had an Egyptian Fuad specimen mil, 14 years ago, back then from the sale of the Heaton mint collection, in SP66RB so I evened up a little... It’s amazing how many of these specimens these two Mints produced and sold by looking at the PCGS pop reports...

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

there is a guy near me who has chosen drachmas as his bullion play. Last month I sold him about 300 of the circulated 20's and 50 unc 30's i call the 5 kings type.

I can't swear to it but I think he has about a trash can full of the 20's. I always thought they were a bit plain but 5 of them are a tick over a troy ounce so in rolls it is pretty easy to keep track of your stack.

the 5 kings type are a pretty coin I but not as easy to figure in bulk . I don't think I've ever seen a circ unless it was a pocket piece ?

Actually ................... the 20's are always circulated , some quite heavily and the 30's of both sizes are always au/or bu .

I'm sure there is a tale to be told about the place and the particular time ,just on the basis of how you find the silver in such a short window of years

If only we knew someone who could enlighten us :#

edited November 20, 2020 4:36PM

Wow! Almost 7 years ago! The time I had in my hands during the financial crisis! 😮

Shame I didn’t have the money as well. 🤑

A newp to reward your photographic memory. This coin was sold by a father, whose daughter is suffering from an incurable disease, same as him. Livable but with big problems. So the good cause was the primary purchase reason. Dedicated to bronco, who took us 6-7 years back!

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

1/2 and whole sovereigns are just about my favorite gold coins. Others must feel the same , I think there were over a billion minted B)

i wonder if anyone has ever completed a date and mint collection of the sovereigns in all their glory? nearly 1000 coins possibly? just a wild guess