Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hello again. Is this place still as cool as it was 12 years ago? ;)

Thought I'd pop in and say hi as a collector this time. Been quite some time. What did I miss? 😊

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brandon?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that you, Brandon?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

formerly "poorguy" ?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was gone for 13-14 years as well. It’s more politically correct but still the best coin forum around. Lots of good pics and controversies as always.

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

Two folks know your name is Brandon. Welcome back.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow ... blast from the past ... hey Brandon!

There was a thread here the other day talking about some of your amazing photos (and exploits) from back when.

I also took a long break (seven and a half years) ... came back this spring ... still the best group on the 'net.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back, Brandon.

You didn’t miss much. 😄

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

lots of the same cool people.

but

friday night and all.

I'm not sure you remember me. we never really interacted for the about 1 year overlap we had. your book list, sadly, was replaced by: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1006619/resources-books-to-read-on-numismatic-series-and-varieties stickied to the top....

just above the more enforced rules...

lots of good stuff to catch up with people. since we don't have a lot of connection... perhaps you've not heard of the saddle ridge hoard yet? http://saddleridgehoard.com/

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the new life! I have a feeling things will get a little cooler now. ;)

• Options

Still living in small town Louisiana? Family doing well?

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, Brandon!

PC? Nah. Just following the trajectory of numismatics....

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back, Brandon. What are you collecting these days?

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back!

• Options

I won't get into it right now, but life is much better. Yes, bolivar, good town life is what we grew up in and it's great. Been devoted to volunteering after the floods in 2016, harvey, Laura, and Delta and working in the schools with my wife. Kaz, putting sets of SAES up for the kids. They're affordable on a teachers income and it'd an attainable set for high schoolers to start to manage and get into coins with.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds good, Brandon, great that you are shepherding along the next generation of collectors. La has taken such a pounding from these storms, I hope the season is finally over so folks can rebuild. Helping others, that's really the most satisfying thing. Keep up the good work!

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back.

Nothing ever really changes. Or at least time keeps bounding and leaping.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back. I just came back about a month ago myself.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2020 11:38PM

First I'd have to disabuse you of the notion this place was ever cool. ;)

Second order of business: Gotta change out your AVATAR!

peacockcoins

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, just go back to your old avatar, so we will know you.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Followed your website for a year or more after you left here. Also the person you worked with? Both had incredible toners for sale. Welcome back!

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Back! Nice to meetcha. Just looked up a 5000 post questionnaire you posted, still teaching some of us stuff! So nice that not everything around here gets deleted!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back Brandon....This is still the best coins site on the web. I did hear from an old mutual acquaintance after a long absence as well. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Brandon....good to have you back.

New life?

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s what you missed:

1) A higher than usual frequency of new collectors convinced a parking lot find with mechanical doubling is a valuable double die.

2) CAC arguments between supporters and detractors have not subsided.

3) A recent modern mint release with low mintage caused quite a stir.

Otherwise the same old same old.

😀

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to see you back! The other thing that has changed is @AuroraBorealis has all the monster toned Morgans, no more for the rest of rest of us!

• Options

Thanks Matt for filling me in. Elmer, I know well Auroraborealis has ALL the monsters. Lol. Ironically, I'm putting a set of SAES together with no color whatsoever. >:)

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not according to the Scientist's :smiley:

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post a Monster Morgan will ya??

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back!

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not anymore.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just kiddin..........kinda

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally can't say because I wasn't even aware of this forum 12 years ago. But, going by what so many of the old timers post that were here then I would have to say no. According to them this forum had a certain boisterous camaraderie that we don't have here anymore. This place was edgy where members were far less constrained and much more opinionated than now. The moderators were laid back and things could get wild but everyone took it in stride. Basically a free for all among good hearted and knowledgeable buddies. Ahh,...the good old days! Wish I could have been there. But then again........doesn't everything in life look better in retrospect?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2020 9:27AM

@Hydrant said:
    I personally can't say because I wasn't even aware of this forum 12 years ago. But, going by what so many of the old timers post that were here then I would have to say no. According to them this forum had a certain boisterous camaraderie that we don't have here anymore. This place was edgy where members were far less constrained and much more opinionated than now. The moderators were laid back and things could get wild but everyone took it in stride. Basically a free for all among good hearted and knowledgeable buddies. Ahh,...the good old days! Wish I could have been there. But then again........doesn't everything in life look better in retrospect?

It was certainly edgier and more boisterous. I still remember all the flame thrower and dancing genie animated icons!

The thing is, I think it's much better for our hosts today.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get the feeling that you're right, Zoins.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back dude! ⭐️

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2020 9:33AM

Speaking of the forum from many years ago, where's @saintguru ?

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Hydrant said:

It was certainly edgier and more boisterous. I still remember all the flame thrower and dancing genie animated icons!

The thing is, I think it's much better for our hosts today.

That’s putting it mildly. I generally stayed away from the open forum or I would have been remembered more. I try to stay somewhat non controversial. Lots of flame wars in those days and a lot of arguing about ACG, when Hall started banning people who he didn’t like, etc. I don’t miss that too much but I do miss some of the energy from different points of view.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back dude.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

The height of the forum was back in '05/ '06. It was like the wild west with everyone slinging from the hips and the air full of hot lead. You had to have a pretty thick skin. There were days when a thread wouldn't last 15 minutes on page one and posts were coming almost faster than you could read them in the evening. Most posts were short and to a point if not the point.

Even the open forum moved pretty fast.

There were lots of cheet posts in those days as I'm sure many can concur.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Welcome back, but I believe the quality of the threads and discussions is worse now than a dozen years ago. In particular, the trolls are monotonous and rarely come up with ingenious material.

It's been all downhill since @Longacre stopped posting. :'(

• Options

yeah. longacre

the less monotonous troll. sigh

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back! Three words: parking lot finds. Three more words: post mint damage. You'll see what I mean.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorites I bought from you at FUN years ago:

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Know the name but not the person. But anyone longterm resident here deserves a welcome back.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey-welcome back!!!

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:
    Know the name but not the person. But anyone longterm resident here deserves a welcome back.

WS

+1

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file