Home Precious Metals

Germania Kilo Silver - Why is it so expensive?

I see that this coin - however awkward looking as it is - generally sells for more than $1500 on eBay auction these days. I get it that it has low mintage but it’s not even Proof strike. Is it reminiscent of pre-euro Germany?

https://germaniamint.com/germania-2020-1-kilo-silver/

Tagged:

Comments

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

Part of it is the very low mintage (100), the theme, and artwork. It is not proof, but people still find it a work of art. It appears to not be a simple standard strike either. You can see that there are different kinds of surfaces/finishes on this coin/round. Although it says "80 Marks" it is not legal tender any where, so it is a round. The bicephalous eagle could occasionally be found on German coinage during its imperial era 1871–1918, so this was not only before the Euro, but before the West German Mark, Post-Weimar Germany, and before the Weimar Republic itself.

The themes that the Germania Mint uses is very different from contemporary Germany. The former emphasizes the Germanic heritage and mythology, sort of a revival of the romantic period of Germany from the 18th/19th century. Contemporary Germany emphasizes its intellectual history, inventions, environmentalism, and democratic institutions. It occasionally tangents as Its recent coinage did feature the fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm, which is a glimpse into Germany's romantic era.

Many countries have their own female personifications and Germany has its Germania. I have to mention that contemporary Germany would draw the world's attention to the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin as its symbol. The Germania Mint seems to cater to a niche group who still appreciate the Germanic themes. I have also noticed themes that are inclusive of the female personifications of other countries and regions as well. For example, there are rounds where Germania is depicted with Britannia (Great Britain), Italia (Italy) and even Columbia (the Americas).

I am still learning about this myself, so I hope I was somewhat helpful.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

So, it's premium is because of the hot Warrior Princess?

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally the bewbs.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful piece of silver...and at a kilo, quite the piece of medallic art. I can understand the price when considered that way. Cheers, RickO

• MrbarlintMrbarlint Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

Very nice looking piece, indeed. I would consider getting the 1oz. round myself. I recently picked up five Germania Beasts: Fafnir 1 oz Silver BU.

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can think of two reasons...

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Thanks for your thoughtful answer, Deutcher.

@DeutscherGeist said:
    Part of it is the very low mintage (100), the theme, and artwork. It is not proof, but people still find it a work of art. It appears to not be a simple standard strike either. You can see that there are different kinds of surfaces/finishes on this coin/round. Although it says "80 Marks" it is not legal tender any where, so it is a round. The bicephalous eagle could occasionally be found on German coinage during its imperial era 1871–1918, so this was not only before the Euro, but before the West German Mark, Post-Weimar Germany, and before the Weimar Republic itself.

The themes that the Germania Mint uses is very different from contemporary Germany. The former emphasizes the Germanic heritage and mythology, sort of a revival of the romantic period of Germany from the 18th/19th century. Contemporary Germany emphasizes its intellectual history, inventions, environmentalism, and democratic institutions. It occasionally tangents as Its recent coinage did feature the fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm, which is a glimpse into Germany's romantic era.

Many countries have their own female personifications and Germany has its Germania. I have to mention that contemporary Germany would draw the world's attention to the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin as its symbol. The Germania Mint seems to cater to a niche group who still appreciate the Germanic themes. I have also noticed themes that are inclusive of the female personifications of other countries and regions as well. For example, there are rounds where Germania is depicted with Britannia (Great Britain), Italia (Italy) and even Columbia (the Americas).

I am still learning about this myself, so I hope I was somewhat helpful.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

The irony is, it is unlikely, that Germany would allow this phantasy coin to be minted in their country. Germania Mint is located in Poland.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."