Home Sports Talk

The NFC East thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 22, 2020 5:07PM in Sports Talk

The NFC East deserves it own thread. We'll track it's developments for the rest of the season here. This should be fun!

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Eagles and Giants play tonight.

Interesting, Joe Buck was just calling the World Series game last night, and tonight he's in Philly calling the Eagles game.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Interesting, Joe Buck was just calling the World Series game last night, and tonight he's in Philly calling the Eagles game.

He's like the wind, he's everywhere.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just turned the game on. Decided to choose game over debate.

edited October 22, 2020 6:31PM

I can't believe Wentz just threw that pick in the endzone. After that long drive, he made a bonehead decision like that. There were 3 defenders on 1 receiver and he chooses to throw it there. Unbelievable.

@doubledragon said:
    I can't believe Wentz just threw that pick in the endzone. After that long drive, he made a bonehead decision like that. Unbelievable.

Do you think there is any possibility he was actually trying to just throw it away but messed up? I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, because that was awful.

edited October 22, 2020 6:35PM

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:
    I can't believe Wentz just threw that pick in the endzone. After that long drive, he made a bonehead decision like that. Unbelievable.

Do you think there is any possibility he was actually trying to just throw it away but messed up? I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, because that was awful.

I hope that was what he was thinking, because if it wasn't, then the Eagles are in trouble. Luckily, the Giants offense can't do squat, so he might get off the hook for it.😂😂

edited October 22, 2020 6:50PM

My goodness, the Giants offense is just awful. They just coughed it up and gave Philly great field position with 58 seconds before halftime.

Man, that is sad. The Eagles just missed a 29 yard field goal before the half. This is a sad display for both teams.

In my opinion, Aikman has really started to sound angry or belligerent or something. Not sure how to explain it.

@thisistheshow said:
    In my opinion, Aikman has really started to sound angry or belligerent or something. Not sure how to explain it.

Aikman had a pretty bad week because of some comments about jet flyovers that he and Joe Buck made last Sunday. Aikman actually took to Twitter to defend himself about the comments, so he might be a little upset about that, but something is definitely up with him.

Ok everybody, I'm going to call it a night, it's been a long day. I'll find out who won in the morning, I can't wait! 😂😂

Goodnight.

I might not finish watching the whole game, but I'm glad I just got to see Daniel Jones tackle himself.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't watch the game because I watched the debate.

Nice to see the Eagles pulled out the game with a win.

It wasn't much, but I'll take it.

From the comments, i'm almost glad i didn't watch it. LOL

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Through 6 weeks: 2-15-1

Record of the 2 teams that have somehow lost to them: 4-8

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

I might not finish watching the whole game, but I'm glad I just got to see Daniel Jones tackle himself.

DJ tripped and fell like a chick running from the villain in a horror flick

@stevek said:
    Didn't watch the game because I watched the debate.

Nice to see the Eagles pulled out the game with a win.

It wasn't much, but I'll take it.

I ended up getting in a lot of the debate after all. I was waiting for a phone call to have to leave and pick up my son from work, so I knew I was going to miss some of either one. I chose the game, figuring I'd enjoy the live action while I could and watch the debate after. The game wasn't the best :* so I ended up seeing some of the debate live anyhow.

edited October 23, 2020 3:23AM

Danny Dimes could go all the way.....

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I can add is 💩

@perkdog said:
    All I can add is 💩

Yeah, no kidding. 😂😂😂😂

The NFC East....

When you know your team can win the division with a 4-12 record....

6-10 should win the Division.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited October 23, 2020 7:53PM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    6-10 should win the Division.

I can even see a 6-10 tie. Which makes these division games so meaningful.

Edit to add: it's very possible. Tie breaker is first head to head and second division record. It's gonna be fun.....

Did anyone else here this in a Fox game promo for the Phil/Giants game? The promo said "Can the Giants build on their momentum?" What from their one win?

I find all these negative comments about the NFC East quite distasteful.

Keep it up, and I will be forced to remove you from my holiday card mailing list...seriously.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seahawks 5-0
    Cardinals 4-2
    Rams 4-2
    49ers 3-3
    Eagles 2-4-1 <——- Division Leader

Just saying. 😂

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    Seahawks 5-0
    Cardinals 4-2
    Rams 4-2
    49ers 3-3
    Eagles 2-4-1 <——- Division Leader

Just saying. 😂

It's always darkest before the dawn. 🤔

I'll tell you what, the Dallas organization is like a dysfunctional family reality TV show right now. Mike McCarthy calls out his players for not sticking up for Andy Dalton.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/10/25/mike-mccarthy-shocked-cowboys-didnt-stick-up-for-andy-dalton/amp/

@doubledragon said:
    I'll tell you what, the Dallas organization is like a dysfunctional family reality TV show right now. Mike McCarthy calls out his players for not sticking up for Andy Dalton.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/10/25/mike-mccarthy-shocked-cowboys-didnt-stick-up-for-andy-dalton/amp/

The coach is right.

edited October 25, 2020 6:37PM

The Cowboys were seen calling for dinner reservations after the 1st quarter. There wasn’t a Cowboys player that even played hard. Missed tackle, lazy routes. Zero blocking. It was one of the worse performances I’ve ever seen a football team do. It’s one thing to not have talent. Cincinnati doesn’t have 1/4 of the talent Dallas has but they’ve played every game to the whistle. Dallas quit. Dallas quit on the season 1/2 game out of the division lead. Pathetic

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

The Dallas Cowboys right now....

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s a picture to explain why the Giants stink:

In ten years, two lineman with your first pick is the answer to why the team has gotten worse every year since their last SuperBowl win. Additionally, most of these players are no longer on the team.

In a good organization with a quality GM, your first round picks need to be ten year players. While most will laugh, Eli Manning should still be the QB (Ben and Rivers are both still playing) and every first pick back to Evan Engram should have been an offensive or defensive lineman. Perhaps the Giants would still be struggling (Eli haters insert guaranteed here) BUT you’d be a lot closer to contention and have a much better line even with a draft pick whiff or two sprinkled in (Flowers, for sure, and now maybe Andrew Thomas). Instead we took skill position players whom we cannot protect in Barkley (hit repeatedly in the backfield for 2 seasons, injured) or Jones (a matter of time before first concussion/injury and they’ve decided to run him MORE often as a result of poor line play.

And I like Daniel Jones and Saquan Barkley - really - but it’s a case of the cart before the horse. I look back at David Carr and more recently Andrew Luck: you can have all the talent in the world but it does you no good on the sideline in street clothes and crutches and eventually the NFL will beat the talent right out of you.

I don’t follow the Cowboys, Redskins or Eagles the way I have in years where the Giants are good (it’s been a while 😉) but I know that based on time and free agency the decline of the Division is somewhat attributable to the erosion of what were once mighty offensive lines. When you pay QBs and WRs and RBs top dollar in a salary cap league, you’re team is going to be in trouble. All the more reason why you have to build the rest of the team up first and try to win with the QB on a rookie deal before he gets paid and ruins the franchises chances going forward.

One of Tom Brady’s greatest ‘skills’ was not his arm, his ability to read a defense or his clutchness (which were all great, too) but his willingness to take less money for most of his career. Even just a 20% salary reduction for a QB can net you 2-3 star players in free agency or keep more of your drafted talent.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to further that last point?

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

These were the two best QBs in the league. One maxed out money the other took less and maxed out winning. Do the math and you’ll see that the difference in salaries nets you a lot of money AND other positions do not command top dollar making every dollar saved on QB even more valuable since their purchase power increases significantly when spent on other positions.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

@dallasactuary said:
    Through 6 weeks: 2-15-1

Record of the 2 teams that have somehow lost to them: 4-8

Through 10 weeks: 2-18-1

Record of the two teams that have somehow lost to them: 7-12

NFC East is the best division in football. Look how competitive they are! Just a 1 game and a 1/2 separates top from bottom. Your Super Bowl champion will come out of this division. Carson Wentz MVP.
    I hear an alarm. Ring ring ring. Oh darn, I must’ve dozed off and was dreaming. Or was it a nightmare called the NFC East.

W.C.Fields

It looked like the record was in the bag, but the 49ers apparently got paid a whole lot of money to lose to the Cowboys today, so it comes down to next week.

With two non-division games remaining, the NFC East is 11-26-1, and the futility record they set last year was 12-28. One of those games is the Giants at the Ravens; I have marked that one as a loss already. So the record will come down to the Redskins vs. the Panthers. If the Redskins lose, the NFC East was record-breaking terrible this season; if they win, they were a half-game better than record-tying terrible. It would be a shame to go through an entire season playing this poorly and have nothing to show for it, so please join me in rooting for Carolina next weekend.

@dallasactuary said:
    It looked like the record was in the bag, but the 49ers apparently got paid a whole lot of money to lose to the Cowboys today, so it comes down to next week.

With two non-division games remaining, the NFC East is 11-26-1, and the futility record they set last year was 12-28. One of those games is the Giants at the Ravens; I have marked that one as a loss already. So the record will come down to the Redskins vs. the Panthers. If the Redskins lose, the NFC East was record-breaking terrible this season; if they win, they were a half-game better than record-tying terrible. It would be a shame to go through an entire season playing this poorly and have nothing to show for it, so please join me in rooting for Carolina next weekend.

B) 🖒🖒

My pre-season and early season and mid-season prediction of the Cowboys winning the division is still in play. :D

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Washington is a QB and a WR away from being very competitive in my opinion. The defense is young, cheap and loaded. Gibson and McLaurin are stars in the making on offense. They have a ton of cap space as well. I see them using a ton of draft capital on offense this year and going after a WR and QB in free agency. Stafford and Allen Robinson in my opinion make this a for sure playoff team next year.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

@orioles93 said:
    Washington is a QB and a WR away from being very competitive in my opinion. The defense is young, cheap and loaded. Gibson and McLaurin are stars in the making on offense. They have a ton of cap space as well. I see them using a ton of draft capital on offense this year and going after a WR and QB in free agency. Stafford and Allen Robinson in my opinion make this a for sure playoff team next year.

I agree, but what other directions do you think they might go in terms of QB?

@thisistheshow said:

@orioles93 said:

I don’t see them drafting a QB. If they win the division they’ll pick at 18, so all the high end QBs in the draft will be gone. Rivera has also said they don’t want to do a lengthy rebuild cause they have a solid young defense in place and they don’t want to waste it while developing a QB. I think they’ll use their cap space and spend on a free agent. Options this year could include Prescott, Newton, Stafford, Ryan, Winston, and probably a few others depending on who resigns and doesn’t.

What I Collect:

edited December 21, 2020 8:56AM

@orioles93 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@orioles93 said:

I don’t see them drafting a QB. If they win the division they’ll pick at 18, so all the high end QBs in the draft will be gone. Rivera has also said they don’t want to do a lengthy rebuild cause they have a solid young defense in place and they don’t want to waste it while developing a QB. I think they’ll use their cap space and spend on a free agent. Options this year could include Prescott, Newton, Stafford, Ryan, Winston, and probably a few others depending on who resigns and doesn’t.

I know Alex Smith is out now, but is there talk of his return? What do you think about him?

Edit to add: you can have Newton.. 😂

@thisistheshow said:

@orioles93 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@orioles93 said:

I know Alex Smith is out now, but is there talk of his return? What do you think about him?

Smith is the best option they have now. He can control the game and win games with lack of mistakes alone. But he is 37, coming off a major injury, and just doesn’t do much other than manage the game and protect the ball. He’s not the long term answer, or is h the answer if they are serious about a playoff run. Stafford and Prescott are obviously the best choices. Ryan could be a solid option for a few years. The only positive for Newton would be he knows Rivera and Turners offense already.

What I Collect:

@orioles93 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@orioles93 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@orioles93 said:

Smith is the best option they have now. He can control the game and win games with lack of mistakes alone. But he is 37, coming off a major injury, and just doesn’t do much other than manage the game and protect the ball. He’s not the long term answer, or is h the answer if they are serious about a playoff run. Stafford and Prescott are obviously the best choices. Ryan could be a solid option for a few years. The only positive for Newton would be he knows Rivera and Turners offense already.

I am a Pats fan but love near Dallas. I'd love to get Dak in NE. He has the "it" factor.

@thisistheshow said:

@orioles93 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@orioles93 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@orioles93 said:

I am a Pats fan but love near Dallas. I'd love to get Dak in NE. He has the "it" factor.

I see Washington, Chicago, and SF having a bidding war for Prescott if he is deemed fully healthy.

What I Collect:

@orioles93 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@orioles93 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@orioles93 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@orioles93 said:

I see Washington, Chicago, and SF having a bidding war for Prescott if he is deemed fully healthy.

Their bidding would have to include picks. Dallas will most likely franchise him a second time before trying to negotiate. We'll see.

Edited word