Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post office delivered my coins to unknown person/persons

My local postmaster signed for three of my packages. When I went to pick them up they could not find them. They said they turned the place upside down looking for them, They believe they must have Placed them in someone’s box and someone picked them up. It has been six days and nobody has returned the packages to the post office.

To be clear I don’t think this was intentional in any way.

Any recommendations on how to proceed?

Thank you for any input.

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2020 10:04PM

They OWE you! And WHY is he signing for YOUR coins?

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i would print the 3 items that were lost for the value of each and give them to the post office so you can get reimbursed for the loses since it was their fault

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ignorance is no excuse. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    He needs to pay for his actions.
    Actions have consequences.

thefinn
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

COVID-19 policy until further notice!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your at there mercy 😖

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with your endeavor.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Follow up with a letter/email to the postmaster summarizing your conversation (You said you signed for it, searched everywhere, must have put it in the wrong box, etc). Also ask if it's been returned yet or if they have any other updates.. That way you will have documentation of the conversation. If he/she doesn't deny the conversation (they might say that the conversation was different as a CYA), send a list of the contents and value.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o Wow... That is terrible.... at least they acknowledged their error. No doubt you have documentation of the package contents.... So time to file a claim.... They were custodians, they lost it, they admit it, they must pay. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck collecting any insurance or getting anywhere with the post office. Their system says the packages were delivered so in their eyes they completed the job successfully. As said above document as much as you can to start building a case. Find your local USPS customer service office and have them open a case. I’m speaking from experience. Don’t assume anyone will have your back along the way. Good luck.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could talk to a supervisor; I'm seeing more and more of these irresponsible actions; signature required, ignored, packages delivered in insecure places, no consequences. I had a priority go missing for 10 days, I contacted an excellent supervisor and the next morning it got scanned for the first time in well over a week. Many postmasters are not prepared for current conditions.

• Options
    edited October 15, 2020 7:18AM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

It doesn't excuse carelessness. What does COVID have to do with putting it into the wrong mailbox? They can leave one of those pinkish slips for you to fill out and present. A couple days ago I got a package requiring a signature. They left a note and not a signed for package.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    zas107zas107 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

The three packages cost over 1400 total. Going to see what I can find out today. I think I might file a police report and contact Doug Davis.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

It doesn't excuse carelessness. What does COVID have to do with putting it into the wrong mailbox?

He was talking about the mailman signing for the package recipient.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 6:46AM

Police report is the way to go here. Somebody is in possession of goods that are not theirs nor were addressed to them.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zas107,

I am truly sorry that this happened to you.

@ricko said:
    [...] .... So time to file a claim.... [...]

You can find the USPS instructions for filing a claim here: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm

Not sure whether 4.1.m applies, but I hope not.

Good Luck!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would try to get a letter from the PO admitting their mistake before I did anything if they will give it to you.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Face it. You're screwed.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

It doesn't excuse carelessness. What does COVID have to do with putting it into the wrong mailbox?

He was talking about the mailman signing for the package recipient.

He said the postmaster signed for them.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

The PO staff knows who has the boxes around yours. They need to contact those boxholders and ask them to return the package if they received it in error.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zas107 said:
    To be clear I don’t think this was intentional in any way.

Any recommendations on how to proceed?

Whether intentional or negligent, your loss is the same as is your right to recover what is yours.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was bound to happen eventually. My carrier knows me has delivered registered without a signature but always makes sure she eyeballs me before leaving it. Tough spot.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Policy is for packages being left at delivery address. Packages being picked up at the post office counter are still being signed for by the recipient. He should not have signed for a shipment that required you to come to the counter.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    edited October 15, 2020 7:43AM

@MetroD said:
    @zas107,

I am truly sorry that this happened to you.

@ricko said:
    [...] .... So time to file a claim.... [...]

You can find the USPS instructions for filing a claim here: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm

Not sure whether 4.1.m applies, but I hope not.

Good Luck!

Since they were signed for your shipping partner is off the hook and usps will deny your claim unless you get the employee who signed for them involved in the claim.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:
    The PO staff knows who has the boxes around yours. They need to contact those boxholders and ask them to return the package if they received it in error.

Bingo! This can be the solution? Every carrier has a select route! Documented addresses are in order here. If they or you, were to check each house on that particular route needs to be achieved, so be it, right? Bottom line, someone on his/her route, has your coins! Good Luck, dude. We all feel for you. Let us know, ok? :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

A similar thing happened to me this summer - I was able to follow a package all the way from China to out for delivery in my city. Then it showed as delivered and signed for at my home. However both my wife & I were home at the time it was supposedly delivered, and we got nothing.

I was informed that due to Covid-19 the mail carrier could sign.

Fortunately my Costco Visa credited back my account for the item, which surprised me.

Sadly over the years I have used the PO, they have gone from being very reliable to probably reliable.

Vplite99
  • Options

@joeykoins said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Bingo! This can be the solution? Every carrier has a select route! Documented addresses are in order here. If they or you, were to check each house on that particular route needs to be achieved, so be it, right? Bottom line, someone on his/her route, has your coins! Good Luck, dude. We all feel for you. Let us know, ok? :)

sounds like the OP is talking about his box at the post office. If put in the wrong box it could have been put in any of the boxes.

Question for the OP: What kind of coins did you lose?

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

@derryb said:

@joeykoins said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

sounds like the OP is talking about his box at the post office. If put in the wrong box it could have been put in any of the boxes.

It sounds to me like it's a PO box too, but I'm not 100% clear on that.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2020 7:42AM

@derryb said:

:*
    In this case, it should be even quite easier to track down, no? :*

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@DelawareDoons said:
    Police report is the way to go here. Somebody is in possession of goods that are not theirs nor were addressed to them.

waste of time.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

They can simply put a note in the surrounding boxes.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

no one has mentioned it but you should file a complaint with the post office inspector general (or ask the postmaster how to do it).

https://uspsoig.gov/hotline

• Options

This is why (my opinion) UPS or FEDEX, is the way to go. They either scan the packages before releasing or they even take a picture of your package at your door. Come to think of it, that last statement, is that Amazon? Lol

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:
    UPS leaves stuff on my doorstep and they don't bother to even ring the doorbell.

That's bad, I agree, but that's just probably one incompetent carrier. Not the entire company. Sorry for your unfortunate situation but my UPS driver agrees to hand over my package even when I track him down on Google map. :)

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@BAJJERFAN said:
    UPS leaves stuff on my doorstep and they don't bother to even ring the doorbell.

That's bad, I agree, but that's just probably one incompetent carrier. Not the entire company. Sorry for your unfortunate situation but my UPS driver agrees to hand over my package even when I track him down on Google map. :)

I have not lost one yet, but just poor service on their part IMO.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 1:12PM

In a remote area leaving it at the door might be OK but in the city or a heavily traveled suburban area? :#

Anyway, as give the postmaster, they have some explaining to do.

If you have a PO box that doesn't mean they gave it to a box holder near yours if the package was too big to fit. In that scenario they simply gave them to the wrong person who came to the window to pick up packages. (Or someone stole them).

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

am not sure how the following scenario could have far reaching consequences:
    registered letter sign of recipient needed.
    time sensitive IRA notice , "final notice" material or possibly a subpoena is inside.
    Postmaster signs and it says delivered! However, PM hands it to the wrong person or puts it in to the wrong PO box..
    your final deadline response goes away ... because you actually were not notified or received anything.!
    what will the consequences be? lawyer?? year long "fights" back and forth?
    covid or not: the USPS or anyone else has NO right to "act on your behalf" when signatures are required unless you give a certain person your proxy!
    jst saying...(although, I might be wrong????)next GOV move is probably that anyone can do anything for you because of covit. welll, nearly anything...even VOTE...

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

An 1838 bust quarter graded au50 by Anacs, a 1787 raw high grade Prussian Thaler and a 1926 ms65 FB Mercury dime also graded by Anacs

• Options

And yes this was a PO box

• Options
    edited October 15, 2020 10:24AM

insurance claims are normally filed by the shipper but will only be honored if tracking does not show "delivered." Your best bet is to see if the person you dealt with at the PO has the ability tocorrect the on-line status of the item. If so then you should contact your shipper to proceed with compensation.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

The responses here are likely correct that through normal/official channels you will be left holding the bag as the item was officially delivered. I would try to get documentation from the PO employee or see if they can change the official status. I would be very careful how you go about this. If the employee thinks there could be repercussions to them, you may find them suddenly changing their story or unwilling to formally do anything.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zas107 said:

An 1838 bust quarter graded au50 by Anacs, a 1787 raw high grade Prussian Thaler and a 1926 ms65 FB Mercury dime also graded by Anacs

If they were gold or silver coins with a weighty package, I could see that as something a thief would want to keep; but not esoteric, albeit highly collectible coins. These would be tough to fence without significant paper trails.

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck getting any money from the postal service or insurance. I had a package that was supposedly delivered to my address. It was scanned by the mailman and that was proof that it was delivered. I never saw the package. The seller wouldn't replace it nor would the post office or e-bay. I was SOL

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    This is why (my opinion) UPS or FEDEX, is the way to go. They either scan the packages before releasing or they even take a picture of your package at your door. Come to think of it, that last statement, is that Amazon? Lol

I don't think I've ever received a box from UPS that wasn't damaged. Fedex seems OK though. I still prefer USPS.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

That really sucks! Sorry to hear it.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a detailed article in the Washington Post today about a large number of packages that are being scanned as delivered where delivery was never attempted with notations such as "driveway was blocked", "no one home", "held at post office by customer request", etc. when the GPS tracking data shows the delivery scan was done at the post office or sometimes even at the distribution center. The reason -- postmasters and managers trying to keep their performance metrics above water with extreme pressure from higher up. It's a non-partisan story about package delivery that the Post has previously reported on -- nothing to do with ballots or the election.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. I have noticed that some of my ebay stuff gets scanned as delivered in the evening. I think that is the regional office scanning it before to goes to my PO.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recently, My 1891 CC Morgan stated delivered on the USPS tracking sit, and when I went out to the box, there was no package inside - Luckily, the postman was still there at the other boxes, when I told him that it stated delivered, he check the box below mine and there it was - How hard can it be to do your job correctly... That really would have pissed me of!!

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@joeykoins said:

I don't think I've ever received a box from UPS that wasn't damaged. Fedex seems OK though. I still prefer USPS.

USPS Is the worst. They should give up.
    They put may coins in the Amazon Parcel locker. They are unable retrieve the coins and deliver them to me. I have two options 1) Sign up with Amazon or 2) Wait until the locker gets full and somebody will bring it to me.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is yet another example of why I think four times before using the USPS.
    My local pack and ship guy is a friend and he does not recommend sending anything (especially anything of value) thru the USPS. He says they are a disaster at the moment - just wait until all those Amazon Prime Day packages hit the system in the next day or so.

So I now use Fedex because it is more convenient for me. But I'd also use UPS though they haven't had the greatest track record on my parcels of late.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file