Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post office delivered my coins to unknown person/persons

2»

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am usually a big fan of the USPS - I use a PO Box at a small PO - they know me and take care.

At my street address, though, I recently got a letter where the only thing that matched was my house number. The street was close but not exact, the person's name was way off, the town was wrong, and the state was wrong. :s

• zas107zas107 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately none of the items were insured (all eBay purchases) nor do I think it’s fair to the sellers for me to file a claim. So it looks like unless someone returns the packages I have definitely been a victim of theft.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a very similar problem a few years ago. It took 2 or 3 days to find my package. It had been placed in a flat tray with other mail for a different P.O. Box holder. I was very lucky that he did not pick up his mail for a few days. The clerk finally remembered what he had done with my package.
    I wish you the best of luck with your package.

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zas107 said:
    Unfortunately none of the items were insured (all eBay purchases)

:o
    I think some delivery methods include some insurance.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2020 9:16PM

@zas107 said:
    Unfortunately none of the items were insured (all eBay purchases) nor do I think it’s fair to the sellers for me to file a claim. So it looks like unless someone returns the packages I have definitely been a victim of theft.

Unless the items were of low value, it's kind of irresponsible of the seller not to insure. It may be tough to collect if it shows a delivery, tho.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have no recourse when tracking says "delivered."

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    You have no recourse when tracking says "delivered."

Not true, it just takes hard work and a little luck to find the right postal worker to help you.

See:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1035092/update-good-news-need-some-advice-on-usps-claim

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zas107 said:

Insurance isn’t for buyers, it’s for sellers.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Last week a purchase from The Mint was coming UPS sig required. I knew I wasn't going to be home till late that night so I went to the UPS online site and changed the delivery to a local UPS office....and....when I came home at 10pm there it was sitting on my step in the rain....duh

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zas107 said:
    My local postmaster signed for three of my packages.
    Any recommendations on how to proceed?
    Thank you for any input.

i don't recall ever having a signature required package where it didn't show whom signed for it/them.

what does tracking show online?

i presume signature was required since you stated a postal employee did so. did you sign up for any option that gives them authority to sign for a package and leave it in your box?

it has been a while since i read through the options they offer but i recall there are several.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2020 12:35PM

@MFeld said:

@zas107 said:

Insurance isn’t for buyers, it’s for sellers.

Exactly. I think I misspoke in my comment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file