Home Sports Talk

Say "Hello" to the NFC East first place Philadelphia Eagles

stevekstevek Posts: 27,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be the only NFL thrill i get all year, so i'm taking it while i can. 😊

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations stevek, and by the way, the Cowboys lost yesterday.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was in mourning over the Cowboys loss.

Of course I'm referring to the great Roy Rogers of whom to this day, i still grieve over his passing.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2020 8:09AM

Congratulations stevek, and by the way, the Cowboys lost yesterday.

Yes, that was quite enjoyable.

Get ready to hear refrains of "Break up the Eagles!" from the Dallas fans.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited October 5, 2020 9:08AM

I just can't get over Dallas and their 1-3 record. If it wasn't for that MIRACLE comeback against the Falcons, they would be 0-4. You just know Jerry Jones is fuming. You should have seen their defense yesterday, the Browns put 49 points on the board.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

Everyone dreams of Staubach, Ed Too Tall, Smith, Irvin....etc. and becomes delusional about the current team. They stink. There are no surprises. The division winner may have 5-6 wins. The division is awful. Giants may not win a game. Redskins are awful. Eagles are slightly better than awful.

The Giants.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad I don't bet money on football because I would have lost big time on that game!

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the last shall be first.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

So weird. You just know that whoever wins this division is going to have a 7-9 record or close to that.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they didn’t play each other twice in that division the winner would be 6-10. Seriously the Cowboys and Eagles are really not that bad. They’ve just played badly. The Jets are that bad.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    edited October 6, 2020 5:15AM

Picking who will win the NFC East right now frustrates me, it's a weird division. It's almost as frustrating as my days of trying to trap a leprechaun.

@Darin said:
    I'm glad I don't bet money on football because I would have lost big time on that game!

I don't either, but to me part of the fun of being a football fan is reviewing the odds. I love it when the bookies get it wrong.

Right now the bookies have it as basically even with the Cowboys or Eagles to win the NFC East.

NFC East Odds
    Team Odds to Win
    Dallas Cowboys +100
    Philadelphia Eagles +105
    Washington Football Team +1000
    New York Giants +4000

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Picking who will win the NFC East right now frustrates me, it's a weird division. It's almost as frustrating as my days of trying to trap a leprechaun.

😂😂😂😂 You did that too??

@2dueces said:
    If they didn’t play each other twice in that division the winner would be 6-10. Seriously the Cowboys and Eagles are really not that bad. They’ve just played badly. The Jets are that bad.

I agree that the Cowboys and Eagles really aren't this bad.... At the same time the old Bill Parcels adage applies .....I'm paraphrasing, can't remember exactly... You are what your record says you are.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

😂😂😂😂 You did that too??

The Leprechaun trap! 😂😂😂

edited October 6, 2020 12:17PM

@doubledragon said:

Thank goodness for the twig ladder or it wouldn't work.

And leprechaun's are mean little bastards if you do catch them!

edited October 6, 2020 6:33PM

The Leprechauns will never get my Horace Winger T206! I have it hidden too good for them to find!

When I first glanced at it quickly and saw the "mean little bastards" i initially thought you were talking about card shop dealers. B)

@stevek said:
    When I first glanced at it quickly and saw the "mean little bastards" i initially thought you were talking about card shop dealers. B)

😂😂😂😂

Well my thoughts are if Dallas ever simplifies their defensive schemes they should win going away. Too much too soon for this group of players. The offense can score and score often. As much as I hate to say it they should be favored.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    Well my thoughts are if Dallas ever simplifies their defensive schemes they should win going away. Too much too soon for this group of players. The offense can score and score often. As much as I hate to say it they should be favored.

I don't disagree with ya...but it seems the Cowboys coaching staff is set in their ways and probably aren't going to change.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2020 4:30PM

The Eagles will lose both games to Dallas, and Dallas will run the rest of the table in the division, which put them in first place in the division with seven wins. The Eagles' win against LA was a fluke. They will win two or three games for rest of the season.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    The Leprechauns will never get my Horace Winger T206! I have it hidden too good for them to find!

I guess with doubleD you can never really say a post of his is 'off the wall' or 'strange' or 'weird'.
    I mean that's just how he rolls. But this post is pretty close.
    Think about it, leprechauns stealing some card of a creature with a human face but has a beak
    and something(leaves?) protruding from both sides of its forehead.

So on what pretense are we assuming leprechauns would want this card? Do they even collect cards?
    Why that weird card? Couldn't they just buy a real Honus Wagner card and pay with gold?
    My head is starting to hurt from trying to analyze DoubleD's posts.
    I think next time the best strategy would be just click the LOL button and move on. :*

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    And leprechaun's are mean little bastards if you do catch them!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

edited October 22, 2020 8:44PM

Eagles just vaulted back into first place...i think. :|

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being an eagles fan, hatched from an egg.
    Ya... now what are they gonna do with it.
    My only go to person is Carson.

With Dak going out, it's the Eagles to win. And the team could be a lot more formidable come the playoffs.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cowboys win the division however.

@thisistheshow said:
    With Dak going out, it's the Eagles to win. And the team could be a lot more formidable come the playoffs.

<<< With Dak going out >>>

Yea, the Eagles may win it by default. :|

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek i just realized you changed your avatar. Was that recent or was I just not paying attention? 😎

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek i just realized you changed your avatar. Was that recent or was I just not paying attention? 😎

Around a month ago.

I alternate my avatar between the logos of Penn State my alma mater, the Eagles, and the Phillies depending on the time of year and situation. :)

• JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭

Can Dallas really be this bad???????
    At least our Eagles team keeps fighting until the game is over.

edited October 25, 2020 2:22PM

@JRR300 said:

Yes they can . They are taking the field with a special combination of rookies, backups and third stringers, and guys they chose to overpay unnecessarily early.

Edited for clarity.

stevek watching the Cowboys lose...

Also, haven't seen a Patriots team look this bad on defense.

@JRR300 said:
    At least our Eagles team keeps fighting until the game is over.

Sure seems like the Cowboys "quit" in their last two games, especially Zeke who's been phoning in his performances. Zeke has had five fumbles already this season.

I hope to expect that same performance from the Boys next week as well

I've gotta think that Jerry Jones is perusing coaching info to find a replacement for Mike McCarthy.

edited October 25, 2020 4:41PM

@stevek said:
    I've gotta think that Jerry Jones is perusing coaching info to find a replacement for Mike McCarthy.

Where’s dimeman when we need him? I hope Mrs. Dimeman has hid all the sharp instruments until January.

W.C.Fields
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Probably, since the only alternative is to face the truth and admit that it was the general manager that destroyed the team. Bad players don't become good players just because you pay them what good players get paid.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
    edited October 26, 2020 6:47AM

Can’t wait for the game of the year on prime time Sunday night. Steelers-Ravens? Nope. Bills-Patriots? Nope.
    Drum roll please.............
    The 2-5 Cowboys with their 7th round, 3rd string QB against the 2-4-1 Eagles battling for 1st place in the most competitive division in football.
    This is a game where 17 cameras at every angle must document this history game. Not one but 2 #1 booth crews must be present to call the action. The NFL will add 2 extra referees to make sure every finger tip catch, every toe tap is correctly called in prime time. I’m taking the week off from work to prepare for this classic match up. Ladies and gentlemen note this on your calendar, set your phone alarms and get the nachos ready. The boys are coming to town!!

W.C.Fields

@2dueces said:
    Can’t wait for the game of the year on prime time Sunday night. Steelers-Ravens? Nope. Bills-Patriots? Nope.
    The 2-5 Cowboys with their 7th round, 3rd string QB against the 2-4-1 Eagles battling for 1st place in the most competitive division in football.
    This is a game where 17 cameras at every angle must document this history game. Not one but 2 #1 booth crews must be present to call the action. The NFL will add 2 extra referees to make sure every finger tip catch, every toe tap is correctly called in prime time. I’m taking the week off from work to prepare for this classic match up. Ladies and gentlemen note this on your calendar, set your phone alarms and get the nachos ready. The boys are coming to town!!

@2dueces said:

Frankly, i hate an upcoming game like this for the Eagles when a team such as the Cowboys is coming off two straight humiliating losses. If the Cowboys have any pride left at all, they may come out focused and fired up in this game.

I just hope that the Eagles don't make Ben DiNucci look like the next Joe Montana.

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Frankly, i hate an upcoming game like this for the Eagles when a team such as the Cowboys is coming off two straight humiliating losses. If the Cowboys have any pride left at all, they may come out focused and fired up in this game.

I just hope that the Eagles don't make Ben DiNucci look like the next Joe Montana.

31-3 Philadelphia. If I had a mortgage I’d be transferring it to A Vegas account.

W.C.Fields

I just hope the Eagle players aren't reading the comments and papers (if there still are any) and come out flat next week. Looking for a monster game from the defense. Anyone here remember the "body bag" MNF game against the Skins about 30 years ago? The Eagles D was devastating that night and took out just about anything that moved.

@JRR300 said:
    I just hope the Eagle players aren't reading the comments and papers (if there still are any) and come out flat next week. Looking for a monster game from the defense. Anyone here remember the "body bag" MNF game against the Skins about 30 years ago? The Eagles D was devastating that night and took out just about anything that moved.

Sometimes you just gotta throw in the towel. The Cowboys flew all the way to Washington, their arch rival and put a 3 spot on the score board. Washington was dead last in rushing per game and the back up of the back up gouged them for a buck twenty five. Philadelphia defense is not Washington. The Cowboys will have more penalties than points.

W.C.Fields

@stevek I know exactly what I would do this week if I coached the Dallas Cowboys.
    They are down to their 3rd string QB. Scrap him. Work all week in secret and install the Wildcat. Put a former college QB turned receiver behind center or Zeke. Can Zeke throw or does he just pierce his nose? Honestly the Cowboys offense couldn’t be much worse. Maybe BB installs it this week in Buffalo as well. What you think steveo?

W.C.Fields

Yes, but if you do, you'd better be able to score a whole lot cuz you haven't changed the D!

@2dueces said:
    @stevek I know exactly what I would do this week if I coached the Dallas Cowboys.
    They are down to their 3rd string QB. Scrap him. Work all week in secret and install the Wildcat. Put a former college QB turned receiver behind center or Zeke. Can Zeke throw or does he just pierce his nose? Honestly the Cowboys offense couldn’t be much worse. Maybe BB installs it this week in Buffalo as well. What you think steveo?

Usually NFL teams playing their rookie third string quarterback tend to utilize a conservative game plan. So i don't anticipate the wildcat being used by the Cowboys. They'll likely stick to the run and short passes, try to keep the clock running, with an occasional bomb thrown down field to keep the Eagles defense honest.

Can't predict what Belichick will do. It's like trying to predict Einstein's next discovery. Too far above anyone else's intelligence level.

I certainly don't agree with those who say Belichick will tank the rest of the season in order to get a high draft pick. Belichick will try his best to win this upcoming football game, as well as every other football game he ever coaches.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@2dueces said:

Usually NFL teams playing their rookie third string quarterback tend to utilize a conservative game plan. So i don't anticipate the wildcat being used by the Cowboys. They'll likely stick to the run and short passes, try to keep the clock running, with an occasional bomb thrown down field to keep the Eagles defense honest.

Can't predict what Belichick will do. It's like trying to predict Einstein's next discovery. Too far above anyone else's intelligence level.

I certainly don't agree with those who say Belichick will tank the rest of the season in order to get a high draft pick. Belichick will try his best to win this upcoming football game, as well as every other football game he ever coaches.

Belichick doesn't take the snap, the wildly erratic Cam Newton does...therein lies the problem, not the game plan. Only those QBs who provide consistency game after game, with a once in a while dump, excel in this game, IMO Newton does not fit this mold. I also think he's just a fill in with the departure of Brady. With Prescott healthy, I suspect more of us might have chosen Dallas over the Eagles, as you can see, we all chose the Eagles. It ain't management, its the players.