Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My favorite "Girl on the big silver coin." (warning....darkside)

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still prefer the lady on the Peace Dollar....Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

(not my coin) but this one is nice:

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect Hell has a better chance of freezing over than witnessing an end to the negativity that exists here in connection with the Special Olympics coin.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

Lovely portrait.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poor Susan.
    She didn't stand a chance.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the historical significance speaks volumes...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2019 3:15PM

Boudica or Boudicca was a queen of the British Celtic Iceni tribe who led an uprising against the occupying forces of the Roman Empire in AD 60 or 61. She died shortly after its failure and was said to have poisoned herself. She is considered a British folk hero.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1927 UK Penny has Britannia on the reverse holding a Trident, not Boudica.

• CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

I've always liked the girl on the 5 Lati from Latvia.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ladies!

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "School Girl" pattern that @BryceM posted is my all time
    favorite pattern. The Four Dollar Stellas are a close second.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@ricko said:
    I still prefer the lady on the Peace Dollar....Cheers, RickO

Is that because she is 50 years younger? :p

I disagree, Miss Liberty on the Peace dollar I do believe might even be tad older. Just a different look. Peace dollar lady is just much more attractive .

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. My favorite "Girl on a Big Silver" is this Duchy of Parma, 5 Lire with a portrait of Marie Louise, Duchess of Parma.

These coins can be pretty expensive so I had to settle for a budget example, which is OK to me.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

No longer own this one but like the design...

My current "Box of 20"

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2020 1:42PM

@Bob13 said:
    No longer own this one but like the design...

Good choice. I was going to post one, but you beat me to it. I have a few of them (see sig). ;)

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my three favorite numismatic designs. This Lady Liberty just calls out "liberty."

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's not to like?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

Ah, yes, "Hot Britannia." I figured someone would post that one. Good choice.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two of my favorites. (Lightside)

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a particular reason as to which direction the female is facing? Inquiring minds want to know. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

The less clothes the better for me. Thank you very much. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• EuclidEuclid Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Queen Jadwiga on the Polish issues. I realize that there are folks who will write (and write, and write, and write...) that it isn't really Queen Jadwiga for one reason or another, but the coins are known as them and they are purported to represent her-

Beautiful example TomB, I have never seen one toned so attractively.

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Euclid said:

@TomB said:
    Queen Jadwiga on the Polish issues. I realize that there are folks who will write (and write, and write, and write...) that it isn't really Queen Jadwiga for one reason or another, but the coins are known as them and they are purported to represent her-

Beautiful example TomB, I have never seen one toned so attractively.

Thank you!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

Attractive coin design, and it’s not Queen Jadwiga. It’s “known” as that because Krause declared it so. No one called it that until Krause guides - it was designed to represent Polonia, the personification of Poland.

Facts matter. Because something is ignorantly (and repetitively) “called” something or because it is “purported” to resemble someone (post hoc) is irrelevant. PCGS and NGC just regurgitate this misinformation when they put Jadwiga on slabs.

Some battles you just can’t win against the
    brainwashed masses. As numismatists we should do better to correct misinformation instead of perpetuate it.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Well here is a lovely girl that has a dark side.....A viking warrior w/cleavage.

• And here is her twin sister that has even a darker side.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those girls look a bit somber....

How about Chad 1970 1000 Francs gold???

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.