Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to collect almost exclusively AU Barbers. That has changed. Here's one that I bought recently from Milo because I like the date. Just back from CAC. PCGS VG-10.

More coins, less government.
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

How lovely @paesan Lenny. Doesn't get much better than that, does it!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

@paesan Some of us like those lower grade beauties. They have more "stories". ;)

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

Here is another one I bought a while back. Thought it looked nice for an 03-O. Sorry for my bad pictures with the cell phone.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

POP 1 :#

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my '92 S PC AU55 Half:

It's a backup to the AU 58 in my Registry set, but I think this is a nicer coin.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2020 5:30AM

Here's my other 92-S in 58 that I am also keeping!

• Options

I was given the opportunity to view and photograph the @Srotag 1901 S Quarter on Friday:

A truly rare coin- at least to me!

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's my '92 S PC AU55 Half:

It's a backup to the AU 58 in my Registry set, but I think this is a nicer coin.

Tough grading

• Options

In an effort to bump this thread to the top, here's my PC AU55 Columbian Half:

It really wasn't worth the fee's for getting the coin graded, but I thought it deserved it. I want to believe someone had it in their pocket as they explored the fair back in 1893.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff - Thanks for posting the pics of Srotag's 01-S. A graded XF is a rarity to all of us.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2020 4:10AM

Here is another newp... another, different 1908-D quarter in PC45. The mintmark position is slightly tilted different from the other one I recently posted / obtained via @paesan from the Swede:

Hope every one is staying safe and well!

• Tim

• Options

Here's one of the prettier 92-S's I've had. It was hard to part with when I found a 58 to replace this 55. I've bought and sold this one 3 times!

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff, Thanks for the great photos of the 01-S!
    Here's a Swede coin that I really like. PC-55. Photos courtesy Barberkeys.

More coins, less government.
  • Options

@paesan I'm so happy you're back posting on this thread. I've really missed you over the last year or two.

That's a nice '95 O Quarter- worthy of an AU55.

• Options

In an effort to bump this thread to the top I'll post a few '11 S Halves (from my stash):

The last 2 were found raw in the wild and submitted. The AU58 was a Heritage Auction win several years ago. @amwldcoin calls it a "turd". I think it looks better than a turd, but I get his point.

• Options

It was pointed out to me that my memory is bad- the XF 45 above was purchased in a PC XF 45 holder. The S/S variety wasn't identified when I purchased it, however. I sent the coin to PCGS for variety attribution once received.

The coin came back with the variety attribution, but with the same Cert number. On the surface that seems OK, but now when the Cert is looked up it shows I paid $192 for a coin with the variety- not correct. I purchased a XF45 Half at Heritage where the variety was not recognized. Coinfacts shows the coin with variety was purchased for $192; it's worth double that. The variety seems to have been devalued in the public eye.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics for this PM, one of Milo's newps (from a few weeks ago), PC-58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vern
    The new camera is wonderful. You may have a second career on your hands. Great photos

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LogPotato said:
    @paesan Some of us like those lower grade beauties. They have more "stories". ;)

There have been some real beauties show here recently - AU58 is such a beautiful grade to me; however, I just keep adding to my VG to VF collection. Here's another pickup from @paesan- she'll fit in nicely and get along fine with the rest of the bunch:

• Options
    edited July 23, 2020 9:35PM

Here is a gently used '03-O BQ to follow-up on Jed's beauty. Too bad about the neck nick on Jed's quarter though, must have had a bad shaving day.

• T

• Options

Thanks for sharing, Mike. We all miss Mike a great deal; he was a great person remembered by many.

Great coin choice as well!

• Options
    SrotagSrotag Posts: 23 ✭✭

RIP, Mike Hayes. You were a good friend and mentor, and are still missed. Thanks for the remembrance post, Mike V.

• Options
    edited July 24, 2020 2:50PM

@Srotag said:
    RIP, Mike Hayes. You were a good friend and mentor, and are still missed. Thanks for the remembrance post, Mike V.

Yep, the Florida boys are well-known in Barber collecting circles and well respected. I didn't know Mike all that well but I am in a BCCS picture with him from 2013 (at opposite ends of the picture). That picture is a keeper. I was talking with Glenn at the time and ended up on the right.

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Mike (should I call you Dr. Mike?),

Thanks for the fine post about our friend. I keep Mike's "prayer card" on my desk by recent studies (currently $21/2 Libs.). He loved to discuss his trophy finds among other things we "elders" discussed. This is always a sad day each year.

Craig

• Options
    edited July 24, 2020 11:07PM

@paesan said:
    Dave, That 07-S has been on our radar since you got it from Harry... There are 6 in 55 and 9 in 58, but plenty of mint state examples. I'm hoping the 55 CAC will beat most of the 58s out there.
    Lenny

@sedulous said:
    Will we be able to see pictures of this elusive AU55 when the time comes? fascinating!

• Tim

A month goes by... continuing to hope here! @paesan @Srotag

• Options

Another relatively recent newp transacted through @paesan. A 1913-D in XF PCGS:

Wonderful coins lately I have been able to obtain from @Srotag and the Swede! Tim

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the first coin I bought under the watchful eye of Mike. Great guy! Was previously in an old ANACS holder. He wanted me to crack it and cross. I was too chicken at the time. It crossed at grade, but sometimes I wonder if it has upgrade potential.

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Lenny- Did not see your post about the 07-S 55 Quarter but I'll post this one.
    Unfortunately, sold a long time age.

Craig

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know Mike except through here at the forum. I'm sure he was a fine man to have had the respect and friendship of so many of you here that did know him personally. R.I.P.

• Options

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:
    I like the new '94 S. Good choice. My guess it's a much nicer coin in hand.

Will need to procure better pictures once it arrives.

Was supposed to arrive early in the week Monday sourced from LA. Still not here in the mail today (Saturday). Has anyone else had USPS delays recently?

• T

• Options

Unfortunately Tons and Tons of them. :(

@sedulous said:

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:
    I like the new '94 S. Good choice. My guess it's a much nicer coin in hand.

Will need to procure better pictures once it arrives.

Was supposed to arrive early in the week Monday sourced from LA. Still not here in the mail today (Saturday). Has anyone else had USPS delays recently?

• T
  • Options

That is one heck of a type set!

• Options

@BryceM said:
    I don't follow this thread very often and I realize most of the coins posted here are in the VF-AU range, which is exactly what I would collect if was to work on completing the individual series. A balanced XF set could easily consume a few decades, I'd think. Not many series retain so much beauty in lightly circulated condition. There is a great community collecting coins in this range à la MFH. I never had a chance to meet Mike in person, but we did share a few e-mails and PMs back and forth.

I'm mostly a type collector these days and had occasion to post a new Barber quarter a few weeks ago. A new Barber Half wandered in recently, and I now have a trio that I'm pretty happy with. Perhaps you'll enjoy seeing them:

HOLY SMOKES!!!

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Man, its not hard to find online, that 05-o has its own video!
    Great acquisition.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dogwood said:
    Great acquisition.

Until January of this year it lived in an OGH. Why oh why would you crack it out of that????

• Options

@BryceM said:

@dogwood said:
    Great acquisition.

Until January of this year it lived in an OGH. Why oh why would you crack it out of that????

$$$$$$$$$$

Id assume the prior owner thought it would get the plus and add several grand to the price of the coin. I know lots of people love the OGHs, but after all, its really just the coin Im after.

• Options
    edited July 26, 2020 7:11AM

@BryceM said:

» show previous quotes

@erwindoc said:

$$$$$$$$$$

Id assume the prior owner thought it would get the plus and add several grand to the price of the coin. I know lots of people love the OGHs, but after all, its really just the coin I'm after.

@sedulous said:

Agree on the possible + grade as a reason. Very much wish the '05-O stayed in its original OGH CAC holder though. Question: Did the '05-O population go up by one point in 67? or did someone take the time to make sure the OGH CAC sticker was removed from the census? @BryceM So this means you bought the coin after the dirty deed was already done? that is what it sounds like.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, it was apparently done by someone who bought it off HA, didn’t get the plus, and dumped it on GC where I got it. I love OGH holders, but at the end of the day the little round metal thing inside is more important.

• Options

@sedulous said:

@paesan said:
    Dave, That 07-S has been on our radar since you got it from Harry... There are 6 in 55 and 9 in 58, but plenty of mint state examples. I'm hoping the 55 CAC will beat most of the 58s out there.
    Lenny

@sedulous said:
    Will we be able to see pictures of this elusive AU55 when the time comes? fascinating!

• Tim

A month goes by... continuing to hope here! @paesan @Srotag

I'm working on it. Busy with work, but just rec'd an offer on our house which will force me to empty out my home safe--so lots of stuff heading @paesan's way for Ebay incl 07-S in 55CAC.

• Options

Here's the other half of my Columbian Half collection:

This coin is in a version 2.2 holder (blueish green holder); it preceded the green label. I suspect it would probably grade 63 today.

• Options

From my experience it is rare to get a + on a crack and resubmit. The only way I have ever made a + Barber is through reconsideration. Sucks, don't it!

@sedulous said:
    @BryceM said:

» show previous quotes

@erwindoc said:

$$$$$$$$$$

Id assume the prior owner thought it would get the plus and add several grand to the price of the coin. I know lots of people love the OGHs, but after all, its really just the coin I'm after.

@sedulous said:

Agree on the possible + grade as a reason. Very much wish the '05-O stayed in its original OGH CAC holder though. Question: Did the '05-O population go up by one point in 67? or did someone take the time to make sure the OGH CAC sticker was removed from the census? @BryceM So this means you bought the coin after the dirty deed was already done? that is what it sounds like.

• Options

My YN friend was excited to show me his Barber dimes in AU55 over the weekend.
    Keep the hobby strong!

• Options

Tim, the 07-S is in Lenny's hands--it's up to him for pics.
    For those of you that collect raw Barbers, Lenny also has my Danscos of 50c/25c/10c and Lib 5c. I put them together from estate sales offered to me by clients--so as with most raw collections (not upgraded by individual purchases), many of the key dates are missing and those available have some "hair" on them; alternatively, there are some nice VF/XF common dates. If interested (@erwindoc), contact Lenny.

• Options

@Srotag said:
    Tim, the 07-S is in Lenny's hands--it's up to him for pics.
    ... contact Lenny.

Dave, I already have an understanding on the direction of your '07-S in 55. It is spoken for. Thanks for the heads-up. I think you know what I am trying to acquire... appreciate the opportunities you have provided me so far.

Grateful! Tim

• Options

Does that pass the Verne test and if so did you try to buy it? :p

@barberkeys said:
    Pics for this PM, a beauty that passed through for new pics, PC50:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file