Home Precious Metals

OT- What Liquors do you stash in addition to PM?

chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm expanding my stash and think a little liquor would be a good compliment to my PMs.

This seems like a good crowd to address the question of what liquor do you stash?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t necessarily stash liquor, but I’ve been known to enjoy a bourbon while thumbing through my coins and PMs. Of all the different ones I’ve had, cheap and expensive....my favorite is Bulleit.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does your South Park character drink?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:

Well, Randy's favorite indulgence is Tegridy weed but he's been known to chug a beer or six.

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd think higher proof the better...I stashed some bottles myself awhile back. Not sure why...made more sense than toilet paper I guess. o:)

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pendleton 1910
    Four Roses
    Basil Hayden
    Buffalo Trace
    Nothing too spendy, just good drinking.
    I we tend to keep quite a few different bottles in storage. The old fuel oil storage room in my basement makes for a great wine room with shelves in back for my bottles. Its an all brick foundation and has a great look to it. The wine room is brick on three sides with a door leading out. It was creepy as hell at first before we remodeled.

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t drink liquor. But I do drink two Bud Lights every night. However, I buy bottles of Seagrams 7 whiskey when I get a couple dollars off with a digital coupon. For long term storage, I always get the glass bottles instead of the plastic bottles.

I stash this liquor as a prep for barter or medicinal purposes during any future tough economic times.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would recommend a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle.....big investment, but always in demand. Cheers, RickO

• Irish whiskey! Red Breast 12 is my favorite, but anything Red Breast, Bushmills, Middleton, Dingle, Teeling, etc. will do.

Excellent transaction with: ffcoins, Proofmorgan, fivecents, MorganMan94

@ricko said:
    I would recommend a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle.....big investment, but always in demand. Cheers, RickO

Ive tried it a number of times. Its great, but I would rather have a glass when its someone else's bottle.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) Makers Mark
    2) Hennessy Cognac
    3) Wild Turkey bourbon

Thanks for the replies. I guess there are three ways to look at the question:

• Investment purposes - example Pappy Van Winkle if you can get it for a decent price
    • Prepper purposes - I understand a higher ABV like 60% is needed for medicinal and all-around disinfectant purposes
    • and for Drinking

Again, thanks everyone for the replies!

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Kentucky Bourbon and Caribbean Rum. Good values in Maker's Mark, Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, and Cruzan, Mt. Gay, and Barbancourt.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2020 1:32PM

18 year old Chivas, Ron Zacapa, among others

@Baley .... I concur on the Caribbean rum... Mount Gay is excellent... also, if you can find it...Old Brigand. I lived and worked in Barbados for 3 1/2 years...had lots of rum. Cheers, RickO

• WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭

Woodford is my current favorite

• BigJohnDBigJohnD Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

I get Jefferson's bourbon. Likely a gimmick, but interesting, fun, and different. Occasionally, when something crazy happens, I bust a bottle out with the neighbors. I never regret the investment.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wingsrule said:

Woodford is very good! One of my favorites.

@Downtown1974 said:

@Wingsrule said:

Yup, Woodford Reserve, Basil Hayden, Blanton's, there are many great whiskeys next shelf up in the cabinets 😉

Went cheap this weekend, Jim Beam Peach. Its sweet and smooth. Not sure how this will end. Will provide notes on the hangover.

• bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

Crown Royal XR. I don’t drink very often, and it even less, so a bottle lasts me a long time.

Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vodka is my go to, nothing fancy, the New Amsterdam brand is probably the best cheap vodka around. Very clean, no hangover stuff.

For the bar we have all kinds of stuff in there. Woodford, Cielo tequila, some nice rum, VO Gold, etc etc.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:

@MilesWaits said:

Well, Randy's favorite indulgence is Tegridy weed but he's been known to chug a beer or six.

@Downtown1974 said:

@Wingsrule said:

I’ll be the third to say woodford.

Thanks everyone! Im keeping a list and am making sure I add Woodford Reserve to my stash!

@chesterb said:
    Thanks everyone! Im keeping a list and am making sure I add Woodford Reserve to my stash!

Costco here has it in stock all the time. Although I tend buy from an independently owned booze shop.

@Baley said:

Now we're talking!!

• bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

I’m a big fan of that ice cube, Bailey.

Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a stocked wet bar for SHTF. I dont drink, but I can get the whole neighborhood drunk. Lots of bottles Bacardi 151.. Go big or go home.

• alexercaalexerca Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

I don't spend my money on liquor, I buy coins! I did tell my wife if the world falls apart I am going to become a modern day moonshiner! Liquor is gold for the people who need it!

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2020 12:12PM

We were heading into the great recession in the early spring of 2008 and I wanted to be out in front rather than playing catch-up. So I topped off my metals and long term storage preps with what seemed logical at the time: A case of Jack Daniels. Note the date printed on the box: 02-11-08. And like any obsessive collector, the case is sealed and the receipt taped to the top :D

Fast forward to a couple of years back, when I had more metals and more money than brains, when I added:

Two Lagavulin Distillers Edition 2016
    A Macallan 18 1997
    A Balvenie 21 portwood

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

@Weiss
    So when is the tasting?

• JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grand Marnier

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37

@Weiss said:
    We were heading into the great recession in the early spring of 2008 and I wanted to be out in front rather than playing catch-up. So I topped off my metals and long term storage preps with what seemed logical at the time: A case of Jack Daniels. Note the date printed on the box: 02-11-08. And like any obsessive collector, the case is sealed and the receipt taped to the top :D

Fast forward to a couple of years back, when I had more metals and more money than brains, when I added:

A Macallan 18 1997
    A Balvenie 21 portwood

Forgive my ignorance but does a sealed case of Jack Daniels like that appreciate over time? Seems JD is rather ubiquitous so the date doesn't matter.

I know it was purchased for other reasons but just curious on appreciation of it.

edited June 23, 2020 2:33PM

@chesterb said:

Forgive my ignorance but does a sealed case of Jack Daniels like that appreciate over time? Seems JD is rather ubiquitous so the date doesn't matter.

I know it was purchased for other reasons but just curious on appreciation of it.

Technically no, probably not. But I think HA sold a half-case recently that was vintage in some capacity and they brought more than I would have expected. How many 12+ year old unopened cases are out there? Not that they are for sale.

The funny thing is that I don't drink scotch. I'm a beer guy. :)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame

@bestmr said:
    I’m a big fan of that ice cube, Bailey.

Amazon Glacio clear sphere (dual chamber) ice maker..... best $40 you can spend if you like to drink good liquor.

• USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

@Weiss said:

A Macallan 18 1997
    A Balvenie 21 portwood

Best stuff i've seen so far! minus the jack

• fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:

@Weiss said:

A Macallan 18 1997
    A Balvenie 21 portwood

Only if it qualifies as first strike at PCGS

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss

The good life, Balvenie 21

Your responses have been great! :) I'm getting all sorts of ideas (even ice cubes) just not about PM! :D

I've been keeping a list and researching all of these so I can add to my "stash". Thank you!

I am a wine guy anymore, Cabernet Sauvignon is my preference.... Though in the past, when I traveled to England for business...I did buy a bottle of Macallan 25 year old.... It was excellent... Though I did not drink much of it, my friends really enjoyed it. Cheers, RickO

@chesterb's post got me interested in stacking a little more liquid.

Today's acquisition:

https://tequilamatchmaker.com/tequilas/5142-tapatio-excelencia-gran-reserva-extra-anejo-us

--Severian the Lame

@Weiss said:
    @chesterb's post got me interested in stacking a little more liquid.

Today's acquisition:

https://tequilamatchmaker.com/tequilas/5142-tapatio-excelencia-gran-reserva-extra-anejo-us

Nice! And I bought 2 bottles of Woodford today for my stash...lol :D

• GSpencerGSpencer Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Kentucky goodness...

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss

What do you think of the Anejo? Would you buy it again? I always enjoy trying new stuff.

@skier07 said:
    @Weiss

What do you think of the Anejo? Would you buy it again? I always enjoy trying new stuff.

I don't know. It's long-term storage. Like the scotch, I probably won't ever drink it.

--Severian the Lame
  • philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fivecents said:
    Almost forgot about my 007 mini bar. B)

Are those "rare" glass mini bottles? Love the Pinch.

He who knows he has enough is rich.