Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this Lincoln Cent an error or FAKE?

I came across this Penny about 6 months ago and I was just wondering what could have caused the x image with the Stars, almost like a Confederate flag type deal on the obverse. I've researched but being an amateur I haven't come across anything so I'm starting to lean to this being a fake. Does a coin even exist with that type of Confederate x star image?

Thanks kindly for any feedback

Comments

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post mint damage, or if you like it, a counterstamp. It did not leave the mint that way.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither an error nor a fake. It's been damaged. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was punched into the coin after it left the mint.

All glory is fleeting.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, PMD for sure.... Many cents are found with counterstamps... I have seen one's with a silhouette of JFK, state outlines and initials...Not a mint product. Cheers, RickO

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Post mint damage, or if you like it, a counterstamp. It did not leave the mint that way.

After seriously studying the OP's coin and blowing it up and looking at each individual characteristic, I think you may be on to something and I may have a tendency to agree with you.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a known counterstamp. (A Confederate flag).

A quarter with the same counterstamp (although with a more complete than yours) just sold on ebay for $10 and change.

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

A quarter with the same counterstamp (although with a more complete than yours) just sold on ebay for $10 and change.

That person paid too much for it, lol.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post-mint mutilation.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:

@JBK said:

That person paid too much for it, lol.

Yes I tend to agree, but there are collectors of counterstamps, and some get really competitive. :p

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pmd

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

“what could have caused the x”

A redneck, stamp, and a hammer.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone notice the flag is stamped upside down?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file