Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I Just Completed My Classic Silver Commem 50 Coin Type Set

winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 3, 2020 2:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

About 1-1/4 years ago I read an interesting article that brought Classic Silver Commems to my attention. It pointed out how the prices of these (mostly) beautiful coins had been dropping like a hot knife through butter over the past few years. It also pointed out that the pricing differential for these coins with CAC's was not tremendously higher than coins in the same grades without CAC's, so I started my venture.

1. I bought Q. David Bowers book on commems, and learned so much interesting information about each of these coins. Absolutely wonderful stories!

2. As a collector, I'm not in this hobby to make money. With the current lower prices, i view that as minimizing great downside risk. I recognize that these prices are not like "rubberbands", so if in the future prices rise a bit, great! if they don't, that's perfectly OK.

3. With patience, I was able to find coins that met my need for eye appeal AND also had CAC's. This set is 100% CAC!

4. The key to putting this set together was reliance on my "mentors/advisors" at a few auction houses who knew what I like (SEE #5 BELOW)! Other than FUN in Orlando, I don't go to shows. Despite today's high resolution photography, as most of you know, looking at a coin in hand is so much better than looking at photos. When I saw coins I liked from the photos in upcoming auctions, I would inquire with my contacts to look at the coin in hand. Invariably, they had me pass about 75% of the time. That unbiased information is so absolutely invaluable!!!!!!

5. Unlike most "sophisticated/smart" collectors/numismatists who prefer some toning (originality) on coins, I'm part of the large but silent group (like @ricko ) that prefers their 20th Century silver coins to be blast white and fully lustrous. Yes, I understand that means that these coins in my set were gently dipped by prior owners, but that's OK with me, as I feel having the CAC sticker means the dipping was truly gentle. To me, this released the beautiful super high luster that may have been hidden under the skin/toning that had developed over time. I can't call that "original" skin, as the coins "originally" looked a lot closer when made to what I have now than when they were gently dipped at some point in time. PLEASE lets not debate this point. I mention it only as a defensive reaction to how some others view what I like.

6. Yes, the Isabella Quarter, the very first coin in the set, does indeed stand out from all of the others due to it's toning. I agree, and recognize many of you will like that coin the best in my set, and if so, that's OK. My photography skills are poor, so my photos of these coins are from a combination of the auction houses and individual dealers from whom they were purchased. In hand, other than the Isabella, the coins all match very nicely.

Here's a hotlink to my Digital Album, compliments of PCGS Registry software.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/commemoratives/silver-commemoratives-50-piece-type-set-circulation-strikes-1892-1954/album/189058

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Comments

• Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Stunning collection! Some of those coins are just gorgeous!

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great set and you have a heck of an achievement to share with all of us. They look great in the virtual album, but no doubt look even better in-hand. Nice work!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Steve!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on finishing a great set! I finished mine (linky) a few years ago, but not in that condition. I understand your taste for untoned coins, but I'm glad the Isabella is the exception in your set. It would look strange to me if not toned.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on that achievement! The feeling of completing a non-trivial set is one of the most fulfilling in the hobby, in my opinion. Based on your OP, I was surprised to see a number of coins that I wouldn't call strictly blast white. The Hawaii stood out as particularly pretty to my eye.

Very well done indeed!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fun set to assemble. I like that each design is different and makes for a very attractive set when viewed together.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Looks really well done and balanced. It's nice to see the superb specimens extend right into the key issues. Good job, thanks for sharing.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite the accomplishment!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice set!

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... very nice set. Congrats on completion!

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see nice subtle toning on many of these coins. The New Rochelle is excellent.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on this accomplishment.
    Those are beautiful commems.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice. When you said it was all-CAC I was expecting to see lots of coins in the 64/65 range. These are all very nice, especially the keys.

The Isabella, Gettysburg, Hawaiian, Maine, New Rochelle, Sesqui, and Lafayette are all really nice.

What's up with the PanPac? Is it really that blue or that just the photo?

I did a set of my favorite 20 (that has expanded to 22 or 23) and so far I'm resisting the urge to finish it on out. Your set is not helping. ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven ....WOW!!l A very nice set of commemoratives.... Oh yeah...I like them a lot... ;) Very impressive accomplishment.... Congratulations. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done and congratulations! B)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PQueue said:
    Looks really well done and balanced. It's nice to see the superb specimens extend right into the key issues. Good job, thanks for sharing.

That’s what I was thinking....impressive grades all around. Many congrats.

• Options
    edited June 3, 2020 2:36PM

@BryceM said:
    Really nice. When you said it was all-CAC I was expecting to see lots of coins in the 64/65 range. These are all very nice, especially the keys.
    What's up with the PanPac? Is it really that blue or that just the photo?

I did a set of my favorite 20 (that has expanded to 22 or 23) and so far I'm resisting the urge to finish it on out. Your set is not helping. ;)

As noted, the Pan Pacific photo I had from the dealer is much darker than the actual coin. I just realized i have TrueView for that coin, so I just swapped that more accurate photo with the one I had shown. I'll edit my comment in my OP above.

By the way, the reason I now have that TrueView of the Pan Pacific coin is I had purchased it as MS66, but thought it was so nice that it might qualify as a 66+. I then sent it back to PCGS for Reconsideration, and it came back as a 66+. Since the cert number remains unchanged with Reconsideration, and CAC does not recognize "+" grades, I then sent it back to CAC for them to automatically resticker for just a $3 fee!

Thanks for your kind words.
    Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice set, congratulations.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set! I enjoyed looking thru the digital album.
    I might just be inspired to finish a commem set. I have only selected a few issues of meaning for me and not expanded beyond those 4 or 5.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. A job well done

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Steve! I couldn’t be happier for you!!! Well done!!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

That PanPac TrueView is really nice. The coin has the typical bit of near-rim toning that many of them have. Gorgeous coin, and congrats on the upgrade. :)

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Mark - Thanks for your kind words. I just ordered a 3-pack of the 2016 Dana Hershey Vineyard Cab. When you’re in South Florida (once travel is safe), we’ll share a bottle over dinner at one of our local fine dining establishments.

Steve

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

Mark - Thanks for your kind words. I just ordered a 3-pack of the 2016 Dana Hershey Vineyard Cab. When you’re in South Florida (once travel is safe), we’ll share a bottle over dinner at one of our local fine dining establishments.

Steve

You betcha!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! Very impressive!

• Options

Beautiful Set, Congratulations on completing it

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Pan-Pac and the Hawaiian are great! I think you have done well. Some of those are hard to come by nice.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beautiful collection

While I am not always a personal fan of super bright white blazers, I can appreciate them for what they are. I looked when shortly after you first posted, and then again now. I think you picked coins with excellent surface quality. The mark free shields on the reverse of the Gettysburg are an example.

Also, that’s a heck of a feat to accomplish in the time you took, but the price drop in Commem’s does appear to have brought a lot of coins out. What is it we used to say? Oh yeah ... When preparation and perspiration meet opportunity, great things can happen.

A few of my favorites, from what I can see, and not necessarily in order …

the New Rochelle (OMG!!)
    the Hawaiian (Beating Heart!)
    the PanPac (with a glass of that Cab’ please!)

and an Honorable mention for the Sesqi’ because, a design I have never been entirely fond of ... but Wow, nice pastel color and close to superb, which are pretty tough things to find on that issue as I remember.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2020 5:38PM

That is just an awe inspiring, incredible and unmatchable set, Steve!
    That gives me hope that I can find a few of my own.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    StupidStupid Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Very nice!

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    What a beautiful collection

While I am not always a personal fan of super bright white blazers, I can appreciate them for what they are. I looked when shortly after you first posted, and then again now. I think you picked coins with excellent surface quality. The mark free shields on the reverse of the Gettysburg are an example.

Also, that’s a heck of a feat to accomplish in the time you took, but the price drop in Commem’s does appear to have brought a lot of coins out. What is it we used to say? Oh yeah ... When preparation and perspiration meet opportunity, great things can happen.

A few of my favorites, from what I can see, and not necessarily in order …

the New Rochelle (OMG!!)
    the Hawaiian (Beating Heart!)
    the PanPac (with a glass of that Cab’ please!)

and an Honorable mention for the Sesqi’ because, a design I have never been entirely fond of ... but Wow, nice pastel color and close to superb, which are pretty tough things to find on that issue as I remember.

Todd, thanks so very much for your kind words. Good thing I’m self-employed, as the time I spent was like a very busy part-time job, looking at not only every major auction, but also every weekly auction of three companies. Then once a potential coin was found, spending countless hours searching for prior sales of that actual coin, along with doing extensive pricing research. As noted, my advisors then had me pass on about 75% of the coins that actually looked good in the photos. On top of that, I took the time to regularly checking collectorscorner.com, along with the websites of a few dealers who regularly obtain Commems with CAC’s with the eye appeal that I like.

Was it worth putting in all that time? Absolutely! As you know, “the hunt” is so very exciting and thrilling!

Steve

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is impressive! I like the New Rochelle the best.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful set and congratulations!! Don’t you feel a pang of something that it’s now complete? I’ve assembled many sets (football cards) and after the last card, without the thrill of the hunt I’m always torn. Do you have your next project ready?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2020 5:56PM

@2dueces said:
    That is a beautiful set and congratulations!! Don’t you feel a pang of something that it’s now complete? I’ve assembled many sets (football cards) and after the last card, without the thrill of the hunt I’m always torn. Do you have your next project ready?

I’m in the middle of working on three sets: Lincoln Wheat Cent Date Set (all red), a Two Cent Set (MS, not Proof, no varieties other than 1864 Small and Large Date), and a Proof Franklin Set.

Thanks for asking.
    Steve

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great set; I especially like the New Rochelle, Huguenot, Sesqui and Lafayette. I prefer a little tone on my commems, but if you are going for bright white, go big (booming luster) or go home! Thanks for sharing your collecting philosphy as well.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful collection! PCGS did a good job setting up these album options. I enjoy the format.
    I have always liked the Bay Bridge issue - yours is very nice. I also never tire of looking at the deco eagle on the Bridgeport - yours is epic-nice and smooth. Your Pan Pac is original IMHO. Congratulations on your set!

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set, I had a lot of fun paging through it.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I absolutely love the look of the Old School album! Congrats on finishing!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like how you decided to begin (and finish) this collection. Educating yourself by reading about it, taking a contrarian view while prices were low, focusing on quality, etc. Your OP really serves as a blueprint on how to start collecting a new series.

• Options
    lowcountrycoinutlowcountrycoinut Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

You'll have to replace the California and Lafayette. They both have a bit of toning! Seriously, that is a wonderful set. Classic commemoratives were my first love in the hobby. I started collecting dipped out white coins but after I met Larry Shepherd I began to focus on toned specimens. So I ultimately went from a set of 50 white examples to 50 toned ones. I still love the series but the coins are long gone.

No good deed goes unpunished

carolinacollectorcoins.com
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on something to truly be proud of. That is a beautiful topnotch collection of some gorgeous artwork. Thank you for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lowcountrycoinut said:
    You'll have to replace the California and Lafayette. They both have a bit of toning! Seriously, that is a wonderful set. Classic commemoratives were my first love in the hobby. I started collecting dipped out white coins but after I met Larry Shepherd I began to focus on toned specimens. So I ultimately went from a set of 50 white examples to 50 toned ones. I still love the series but the coins are long gone.

How many of your coins have been dipped and now have secondary toning? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very impressive, stunning beautiful set. Classic Commems among my favorite US Coins. Congrats on a fantastic accomplishment.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very lovely set and it's always great to see the entire set together in one place.
    I am having a hard time finding even one coin that I would call "dipped" as even your white coins appear to have original skin.
    Nice accomplishment !!

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2020 7:07AM

@PerryHall said:
    How many of your coins have been dipped and now have secondary toning? ;)

I see the wink, but of those with some toning, I don't know which of those had previously been dipped and now have "secondary" toning, or if they've never been dipped and the toning seen is what happened at some point after the coin was minted. Regardless, the bottom line is that I liked it so well as it is now that I purchased it.

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭

great looking coins and set.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file