Options

I Just Completed My Classic Silver Commem 50 Coin Type Set

2»

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@PerryHall said:
    How many of your coins have been dipped and now have secondary toning? ;)

I see the wink, but of those with some toning, I don't know which of those had previously been dipped and now have "secondary" toning, or if they've never been dipped and the toning seen is what happened at some point after the coin was minted. Regardless, the bottom line is that I liked it so well as it is now that I purchased it.

Agree with your sentiments. I was just pointing out that many collectors have toned coins that they think have original surfaces but were actually carefully dipped and later developed secondary toning. Many so called experts think they can tell the difference between original toning and secondary toning but this is not always possible.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

Very nice set. They seem to be well struck which i value the lost in a coin

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

the most

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! The Isabella quarter is my favorite.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins in that set. I really like the MS66 50 cent Hawaiian. Can you share a little more about its acquisition including the price range you encountered when you were looking for one?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2020 10:37PM

@1northcoin said:
    Nice coins in that set. I really like the MS66 50 cent Hawaiian. Can you share a little more about its acquisition including the price range you encountered when you were looking for one?

Sure, but first some raw data that is current, but not too different than when I purchased it 12/12/2019 in a Legends Regency auction: Total in this grade MS66 from PCGS = 141; NGC = 65. Out of these 206, only 43 have a CAC (21%). You’d figure at the price point of this grade, most 66’s would have been sent to CAC. The CDN/CAC retail figure is $5,880. My successful bid was $5,053, including the b.p. When I did my research, most nice examples with CAC’s sold at higher pricing than what I paid. Legend’s estimated the hammer price would be $5,500 - $6,000, and then the b.p. is on top of that.

While Legend’s descriptions tend to be “flowery”, here’s their description:

“FROM THE PIEDMONT NUMISMATICS COLLECTION This is a wonderful Premium Quality GEM example of this key date classic commemorative half dollar. The sharply struck design elements are surrounded by essentially flawless fields that have a wonderful satiny luster. The eye appeal is excellent.

Only eight PCGS/CAC examples have ever sold in auction, realizing an average APR of $7,038. We think this high end coin should see very strong bidding. About a decade ago, this GEM would have brought close to $10,000, which is about what our consignor paid. Its quality and eye appeal are excellent and should bring a strong price today.”

As noted above, I paid $5,053 including b.p. This was by far the most I paid for any of the coins in this set. The vast majority cost me less than $1,000 each.

To save readers time of going back to my hotlink, here’s a photo of the obverse slab and the reverse:

https://caimages.collectors.com/coinimages/42396/06808452/Hawaii_Slab.jpg

https://caimages.collectors.com/coinimages/42396/06808452/Hawaii_obv.jpg

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice and congrats!

Gettysburg will always be my favorite commem.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2020 2:16AM

Congrats on finishing a great set! Those are some very attractive coins!

@winesteven said:
    Unlike most "sophisticated/smart" collectors/numismatists who prefer some toning (originality) on coins, I'm part of the large but silent group (like @ricko ) that prefers their 20th Century silver coins to be blast white and fully lustrous.

@ricko is not silent by any means!

Yes, the Isabella Quarter, the very first coin in the set, does indeed stand out from all of the others due to it's toning.

Making that coin white is just a dip away ;)

Thanks for posting your set. Love the eye candy!

• Options
    2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

great set. certainly represents determination and patience, and swimming against the current a bit!

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was dabbling in classic commons several years ago but decided to put the brakes on, not because of my lack of interest in the series but because my lack of my interest in some of the designs.

You just might of changed my mind winesteven, I mean WOW! I was thinking of going one way, and now...…?

BTW, how are you doing on your 2 Cent Pieces?

• Options

@Raybo said:
    I was dabbling in classic commons several years ago but decided to put the brakes on, not because of my lack of interest in the series but because my lack of my interest in some of the designs.

You just might of changed my mind winesteven, I mean WOW! I was thinking of going one way, and now...…?

>

Thanks for your kind words. Regarding that Two Cent set, I have six pieces out of the ten, just four to go. My recently purchased 1868 MS65RB was just upgraded by PCGS to MS65+RB upon Reconsideration (PCGS POP is only 3). It’s currently at CAC getting its sticker automatically reapplied for just $3, since the cert number remained unchanged.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if there is a capital plastics holder for these? Would look awesome in black (and the size of half a sheet of plywood😉)

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just Wow!!

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@Raybo said:

>

Thanks for your kind words. Regarding that Two Cent set, I have six pieces out of the ten, just four to go. My recently purchased 1868 MS65RB was just upgraded by PCGS to MS65+RB upon Reconsideration (PCGS POP is only 3). It’s currently at CAC getting its sticker automatically reapplied for just $3, since the cert number remained unchanged.

You have to turn it up to eleven winesteven, you will not be happy until you obtain an example of an 1873.
    :)

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set. I have one I am slowly building. No rush just adding pieces I find attractive.

• Options

@Raybo said:
    You have to turn it up to eleven winesteven, you will not be happy until you obtain an example of an 1873.
    :)

The Two Cent sets I’m working on are restricted to Mint State issues, no Proofs. As such, there is no 1873 Mint State issue, but thanks.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very nice! What an accomplishment!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    Anyone know if there is a capital plastics holder for these? Would look awesome in black (and the size of half a sheet of plywood😉)

Capital Plastics can make custom holders. Give them a call.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set, congrats!

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with your sentiments. I was just pointing out that many collectors have toned coins that they think have original surfaces but were actually carefully dipped and later developed secondary toning. Many so called experts think they can tell the difference between original toning and secondary toning but this is not always possible.

actually, if you look at enough coins, read some references to get an idea of how coins were originally dispersed, have a basic understanding of toning and are somewhat familiar with current storage methods(albums, folders, flips, etc.) it becomes easier to make an informed judgement on Classic Commemoratives. here's what I have found to be fairly accurate:

--- coins which have been stored properly and are brilliant; they have a texture and "skin" different than a dipped coin.
    --- coins that have been dipped and look unnaturally white.
    --- coins that have been dipped and have started to re-tone.
    --- coins that were dipped but some of the heavy tone couldn't be removed.
    --- coins that show evidence of tone from the original holder/shipper types.
    --- coins with long term tone from album/holder storage that doesn't cover the entire coin.
    --- coins with long term tone from storage which has gone too far and is either dark or just unappealing.
    --- there are a few exceptions for coins which have been held in rolls, but those seem to have been dispersed by now.

my searching tells me there is only one hard and fast rule I can draw from everything above: the probability of 80-100 year old coins being brilliant white without help is close to nil. the mintages for most Classic Commem's are so low that it practically negates the possibility of that happening. I have just come to accept that the coins I'm searching will be toned to some degree as the result of certain circumstances. it sort of follows the advice I was given many years ago, that there are many coins available, just be patient and look for a coin you like.

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

Amazing. All of the coins look so original. Congrats.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven Which coin is your favorite and why?

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:
    @winesteven - Which coin is your favorite and why?

1. For the design, I like the Texas.
    2. Knowing how other examples of Monroe and Missouri look, I’m thrilled with the eye appeal of mine, although I recognize the majority will disagree, and that’s OK.
    3. For the background stories of how each one originated, there are way too many with fascinating stories for me to choose just one, or even just a few.

Thanks so much for asking.

Steve

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. I wish the images were all of the same type so that they matched. Some didn't have the reverse of the coin (Arkansas), so you can't tell what the date is.

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:
    Congrats. I wish the images were all of the same type so that they matched. Some didn't have the reverse of the coin (Arkansas), so you can't tell what the date is.

If you use a touch screen, you can easily enlarge the reverse. It’s 1937-S, a common date. I’m not at my desktop now, but maybe the cursor can enlarge it, perhaps by clicking on it?

• Options

@winesteven said:

@1northcoin said:

Sure, but first some raw data that is current, but not too different than when I purchased it 12/12/2019 in a Legends Regency auction: Total in this grade MS66 from PCGS = 141; NGC = 65. Out of these 206, only 43 have a CAC (21%). You’d figure at the price point of this grade, most 66’s would have been sent to CAC. The CDN/CAC retail figure is $5,880. My successful bid was $5,053, including the b.p. When I did my research, most nice examples with CAC’s sold at higher pricing than what I paid. Legend’s estimated the hammer price would be $5,500 - $6,000, and then the b.p. is on top of that.

“FROM THE PIEDMONT NUMISMATICS COLLECTION This is a wonderful Premium Quality GEM example of this key date classic commemorative half dollar. The sharply struck design elements are surrounded by essentially flawless fields that have a wonderful satiny luster. The eye appeal is excellent.

Only eight PCGS/CAC examples have ever sold in auction, realizing an average APR of $7,038. We think this high end coin should see very strong bidding. About a decade ago, this GEM would have brought close to $10,000, which is about what our consignor paid. Its quality and eye appeal are excellent and should bring a strong price today.”

As noted above, I paid $5,053 including b.p. This was by far the most I paid for any of the coins in this set. The vast majority cost me less than $1,000 each.

To save readers time of going back to my hotlink, here’s a photo of the obverse slab and the reverse:

Thanks for sharing that.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it wasn't for the Isabella I'd swear I was looking at a set completed by ricko's brother from another mother ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2020 7:51PM

Very nice set! The Monroe, Pan Pac, and Sesqui look very nice - these coins are tough to find with eye appeal, even at Gem grades. My favorites are the Isabella and New Rochelle.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, Very Nice!!!

• Options

@winesteven said:

@1northcoin said:

Thanks for sharing that.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@thefinn said:

If you use a touch screen, you can easily enlarge the reverse. It’s 1937-S, a common date. I’m not at my desktop now, but maybe the cursor can enlarge it, perhaps by clicking on it?

I tried it. It just made it bigger. The Alabama and Albany worked.

thefinn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file