Home U.S. Coin Forum

Die break? Shattered Die? Struck through? PMD?

What does this look like to you? Has die cracks from rim to rim but appears to be struck through?!

This is a 1998 Lincoln Penny. (zinc)

Mint Error? This doesn't look like P.M.D. to me...

Comments

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although your photos are fairly good,
    it's hard to tell from a photo if the dark lines are raised areas (from die cracks), or just changes in color.
    I don't see the lines on top of the columns/pillars, so I don't think they are die cracks.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

struck thru maybe?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t tell anything about the lines from the photos, but the obvious environmental damage makes me wonder if the two are connected.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

So if the thing that runs from 4 to 10 on the rev is a trough, then you probably have a strike thru. Discoloration might just be from circulation. Would like to see the obv. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the anomaly from 4 to 10 is not a stain, and is actually depressed, it could be a planchet flaw. I believe a strike through would be apparent on the columns if that were the cause. Cheers, RickO

• @Namvet69 said:
    So if the thing that runs from 4 to 10 on the rev is a trough, then you probably have a strike thru. Discoloration might just be from circulation. Would like to see the obv. Peace Roy

Just checked it and it's definitely a trough and not raised like a die crack which I first thought.

I'm thinking definite struck through.

@Namvet69 said:

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindude88 said:

@Namvet69 said:

Just checked it and it's definitely a trough and not raised like a die crack which I first thought.

@Namvet69 said:

Wow. Look at the zinc rot on the obverse

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • @Oldhoopster said:

@coindude88 said:

@Namvet69 said:

@Namvet69 said:

Wow. Look at the zinc rot on the obverse

I know what a bummer. Would you say a reverse strike through tho?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2020 2:10AM

There should never be any confusion between a die crack and a struckthru. One is raised and one is incuse.

Your cent might have some sort of error but with all that environmental damage I am automatically suspicious that it is PMD until proven otherwise.

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it was a strike through, enough to depress the fields (indicating the strike through object was not retained), then shouldn't the columns also be affected? They show no sign of a strike through and show strong details.

If it was a strike through, and the object struck was retained... then the fields should be flat. The fields would also be flat if it is a planchet flaw such as a retained lamination?

----- kj
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't tell.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

The obverse shows plating issues, so I'm sure the reverse has them as well. The environmental damage probably includes some staining and even corrosion that could give the impression of a ridge if poked with a stick. As mentioned, the detailed in the alleged struck-through area is too sharp.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file