Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Another way to look at my collection

Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alternate titles:

• What do you think of my collection? or,
  • Pocket change from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, or,
  • How about some non-central and south American stuff around here for once? ;)

I've been relaxing/decompressing the last couple weeks (my day job is a Pulm Critical Care doc, so juuuuuust a biiiiit stressful lately) by trying to figure out how to do a coin collage, like @BryceM and others. We had to buy a computer for some home schooling, and to make lemons out of lemonades I also got Adobe Photoshop and started on this project.

None of the pictures were taken by me, but are TVs or from @indeetlib, then my good friend @RAB helped with pre-processing.

I know this is not very artistic, but it's a first effort and wanted some suggestions. What do you think?

My current "Box of 20"

Comments

• Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Fantastic! It looks like you have a stunning collection

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm liking it. I've tried a bunch of different styles, text, no-text, coins extending off the edges. I'd crop this a little tighter to show less black but that's just style. Mostly I just play with it until it looks right to me. If others don't like it, they don't have to look at it. : ) But.... we hired an interior designer to help us lay out some artwork in a room. My wife and I tried it, and then she fixed it..... and it looked about 1000x better, so maybe I'm not the best one to ask. ;)

Sometimes a background will help the coins pop a little bit. Something related to the period is visually interesting. Other times it's just nice to see the coins. Here's one I'm playing around with. It isn't finished yet, and I don't just mean there's still empty holes.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at all those mean men with big hair on the front of those coins!

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice wildeman coins

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

OP goodness, very awesome collection!!!
    Makes me want to rethink my collection!!!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely collage. You have a very consistent eye for color and originality.

• Options
    ZwiggyZwiggy Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Lovely collages. Artistically I would change the blue font on the US Set to something more to the theme of the map like a Ye Olde font or one to match the map fonts.

Love both colllages in their different styles - I think they both pop.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins look great but the photo composition needs a focal point. As it is the eye just jumps around from one coin to another and never really finds anything to concentrate on. This is a common problem with student still life paintings and photographs.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice pocket change

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

Thanks all for the feedback. Appreciate @291fifth comments - will definitely work on various compositions with likely fewer coins, with a more consistent themes.

@BryceM - I am wondering about a map of Europe with coins from each region based on your map. Stellar 1806 Half by the way...

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

Bob: Nice coins! But, more importantly, THANK YOU for being on the frontlines of the current battle against the Covid-19, and STAY HEALTHY/SAFE!!!!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice look to those coins!

• Options
    IVBIVB Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

@Bob13
    I tried to make a sample collage with a map of Germany at the beginning of the 18th century.

Light theme:

Dark theme:

• Options

@DBSTrader2 - where I am we have some COVID and some very sick patients, but we have enough PPE, vents, etc. and we have a great team of RNs, RTs and many more. By the time they get to my unit we know if they have COVID. I never thought I’d say this (I like to kid with the other specialties) but my hat is off to the ER docs who are truly on the front lines.

@IVB - I like it! The light map is what catches my eye the most. I think I would do not just Germany but maybe more of Europe and match coins with geography. You obviously have way more experience with imaging than me!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Outstanding! I agree with @Rexford - you have an ecxellent eye for patina and originality. I do like the fact that the pieces are correctly proportioned in size relative to each other. I made a collage a few years ago and I did not keep the proportions consistent and it is a bit misleading.