Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

North/South/Central American Coins Thursday, let's see them!

Comments

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Senator32 said:
    This NEWP is one of the main reasons I have been selling some extra coins recently...it is one of the nicest C3 portraits I have seen...I would go so far to say I think it is a point or so undergraded and one of the few times the TrueView didn't do the coin justice. Check out this GIF: https://imgur.com/Pqxswpc

Very nice!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome addition @Senator32

@pruebas - another jaw dropper. Thanks for sharing more of your collection.

• Options

Great find @Boosibri! Really nice sunface.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri your really into 4Rs now!

You could spend a lifetime building a world-class collection of these. You certainly have a great start to one.

Do you have any Carlos & Juana 4Rs in the collection yet?

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:

You could spend a lifetime building a world-class collection of these. You certainly have a great start to one.

Not yet, waiting for the right one.

I've been lucky on the 4R's.

I have to be careful not to compromise on quality in chasing some of these as I've tried to build my core set with eye appeal and quality in mind. The Arg 4R is so dang rare, not a single MS piece is in the registry for any date. It isn't perfect but nothing is documented that I can find nicer.

• Options
    edited April 23, 2020 11:41AM

@Boosibri said:
    Just arrived in the mail. Finest graded Argentina 4R of any date. Might have a touch of PVC on the reverse needing

The Arg 4R is so dang rare, not a single MS piece is in the registry for any date.

So, is that a 58? Looks pretty clean...

• Options

@mvs7 said:

@Boosibri said:
    Just arrived in the mail. Finest graded Argentina 4R of any date. Might have a touch of PVC on the reverse needing

The Arg 4R is so dang rare, not a single MS piece is in the registry for any date.

So, is that a 58? Looks pretty clean...

Yes, in 58. ex. Whittier

• Options

Very sharp coin @Senator32. That was the first MS62 transitional coin which sold publicly and realized $3000 in 2014. Yours is very eye appealing for sure. Nice buy!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas said:
    It's Thursday folks!

Here is a uniface obverse of a Ferdinand VII Potosi 8R in silver. There are 3 known. Another was in the 2016 Stacks Bowers ANA sale here, but failed to meet reserve. Mine came out of Spain in the early 2000s.

Edited to add: Mine is ex-Rudman and weighs 39.62g vs. the Stacks coin which weighs 47g.

Very cool coin !👍

@Boosibri said:
    Just arrived in the mail. Finest graded Argentina 4R of any date. Might have a touch of PVC on the reverse needing attention.

outstanding addition

@Boosibri said:
    Very sharp coin @Senator32. That was the first MS62 transitional coin which sold publicly and realized $3000 in 2014. Yours is very eye appealing for sure. Nice buy!

agreed

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pruebas once again you left me in awe.

Very nice @Boosibri

• Options

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

I have to be careful not to compromise on quality in chasing some of these as I've tried to build my core set with eye appeal and quality in mind. The Arg 4R is so dang rare, not a single MS piece is in the registry for any date. It isn't perfect but nothing is documented that I can find nicer.

Smart move.

I picked up this one about 6 years ago. I was blown away by the look in-hand and have never seen a nicer one, slab grade aside. Dang close to perfect. Strike, centering, surfaces. Just slight weakness and doubling, as expected in the series. Not bad for a nearly 500 year-old coin made under extremely primitive conditions (i.e. not in Europe where the technology was better).

Granted, this is the late series were nice coins are more common than the early series. But still....

That coin is amazingly well made for the issue. Sets the standard for me.

• Options

Lots of heavy hitters out today. Here's my modest addition to compliment @Senator32 NEWP

• Options

One more from this submission:

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

@Boosibri said:

@pruebas said:

Smart move.

I picked up this one about 6 years ago. I was blown away by the look in-hand and have never seen a nicer one, slab grade aside. Dang close to perfect. Strike, centering, surfaces. Just slight weakness and doubling, as expected in the series. Not bad for a nearly 500 year-old coin made under extremely primitive conditions (i.e. not in Europe where the technology was better).

Granted, this is the late series were nice coins are more common than the early series. But still....

That coin is amazingly well made for the issue. Sets the standard for me.

Believe it or not, that is a shipwreck coin (as are most other high-grade C&J). But they were protected from the salt water by many other coins and possibly the iron of the chest containing them.

I have always wondered if these circulated in what is now the USA. I do remember hearing they did circulate for hundreds of years in Mexico.

Anybody know if any have been unearthed in present-day USA?

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Lots of heavy hitters out today. Here's my modest addition to compliment @Senator32 NEWP

@TwoKopeiki what’s going on by the date?

• Options

@pruebas said:

@TwoKopeiki what’s going on by the date?

Planchet defect - most likely thinner in that spot that resulted in an area of soft strike. The reason you see it as a dip with some dentil details present closer to the rim is due to the edging being done prior to striking, which brought up slightly the metal in that area.

• Options
    Senator32Senator32 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

WOW that 1804 is very nice.

• Options

One more 1789 CIV for good measure.

• Options

@bidask said:

I have owned this one several years maybe 7-8....??

Love it B)

Gotta be top pop for the type. Can't recall seeing another 65.

• Options

@Weiss said:
    You guys with your big, historically important silver coins.

How about a fist-full of low value, uninteresting gold coins?

Love the 1 peso gold coins!

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 385 ✭✭✭

@Que_sai_je said:
    Costa Rica type I (Carillo) C/M on FVII Nueva Guatemala 4 Reales.
    Rare. Murillo knew of only 6 examples for all under types.
    Stack's sold one, new to Murillo, on a Potosi 1820 2015.
    NGC Census lists two " Bolivia", one each F and VF.
    I suspect at least one and maybe both are duplicated within their own census and/or Murillo.
    This brings the total number for the type of which I am aware to eight, possibly nine, at most an unlikely ten.

Not a keeper I guess...

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    You guys with your big, historically important silver coins.

How about a fist-full of low value, uninteresting gold coins?

>

Well, maybe a fist-full for DJT, but...

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@realeswatcher said:

@Que_sai_je said:
    Costa Rica type I (Carillo) C/M on FVII Nueva Guatemala 4 Reales.
    Rare. Murillo knew of only 6 examples for all under types.
    Stack's sold one, new to Murillo, on a Potosi 1820 2015.
    NGC Census lists two " Bolivia", one each F and VF.
    I suspect at least one and maybe both are duplicated within their own census and/or Murillo.
    This brings the total number for the type of which I am aware to eight, possibly nine, at most an unlikely ten.

Not a keeper I guess...

Jealous?

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2020 9:16PM

@MrEureka said:

Jealous?

No good reason for anyone to be jealous. But late. Has a fine new home with an advanced counterstamp collector.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2020 9:17AM

@pruebas I saw one on eBay just few days ago. They were asking 2500 or so.

Interestingly, these must be the only 1914 short ray Caballitos 😳

• Options

@Abuelo said:

Interestingly, these must be the only 1914 short ray Caballitos 😳

I never noticed that!! :o

• Options

Me too. But you could own a specimen of the 2013 100P if you click on one of those ebay links!

• Options
    edited April 30, 2020 9:46AM

😂😂😂 I just have to go for a bank robbery as the wallet is in distress right now! But I think this is a cool issue, even when I am not into commemorative coins. Thank you @pruebas for sharing. To be fair, I think the Herencia Numismática series was a well thought and executed idea.

• Options

$100 for economy shipping!

• Options

@Boosibri keep in mind is shipped from Mexico. The only way it will arrive is by FedEx or something similar. And has to be insured you hope. But yes, it is very expensive.

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    @Boosibri keep in mind is shipped from Mexico. The only way it will arrive is by FedEx or something similar. And has to be insured you hope. But yes, it is very expensive.

True, tempting!

• Options
    edited April 30, 2020 5:37PM

Moving this comment to the World BST. I shouldn't have posted this here.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo said:
    Happy Thursday, people!

Very nice !

66 brown

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@bidask , only 65 :p but very good looking!

• Options

I was inspired to post this after seeing the beautiful Iturbide medals of @Abuelo over on the NGC Set Registry. Very impressive set!

Mexico 1828 silver Vicente Guerrero Merit & Patriotism medal. Grove-73a. Rare. Note the 8R national eagle on the obverse.

• Options
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2020 8:02AM

Thank you @pruebas it is a work in progress. That medal is very interesting. In 1828 Guerrero ran for president and loss. Then, supported by General Santa Anna (yes, the Alamo dude) rebelled and forcefully stole the presidency that legally had won General Gomez Pedraza with the support of none other than the US Ambassador Joel Pointsett (yes, the dude of the poinsettias). It was not going to be the first or last time that a US Ambassador supported a coup d'état in Mexico (Pointsett was also involved in the fall of Emperor Agustin few years earlier). I am not familiar with the timing of the medal but clearly was minted before the election by his "Yorkino" supporters (Masons), or after as a "proclamation medal" (like in Colonial times) to legitimise him. The fact that is called Citizen instead of President makes me think that is the former and not the latter. His presidency lasted but few months. As he rose to power after a coup d'état, he became the victim of another. It is a shame as Guerrero was, during the War of Independence, a solid personality of great prestige and he destroyed his reputation with his association with Lopez de Santa Anna and his forceful taking of the presidency. This was the first coup d'état in the Republic and originated the time of "caudillos" in XIX century Mexico that would not end until General Diaz took Power. Poor Guerrero was assassinated not long after that. Bravo for that medal as it is, historically speaking, a GREAT piece, and numismatically, a beauty.