Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

With all the news about COVID-19, are you currently planning to cut back travel to coin shows?

124»

Comments

• Options
    PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Undecided

Many are going to get sick, exposed, and be in contact with people who are contagious,...sooner or later, yet, maybe hope?

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-outbreak-could-hit-3-billion-adults-harvard-expert-2020-3

I'd rather get this, and fight it, or, die rather than live behind a mask. Not a future I want to embrace by any means; I don't think the reaper will be cheated on this one....even with all best efforts. He will take whom he wants.

See you on the flip side. :p

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2020 4:29PM
    No, I will not be changing my travel plans to coin shows.

I guess it's my DNA after 40 years of hurricane preparations.

Shelter and wait it out... got plenty of stuff to keep me busy.

Less concern for myself but understandable concern for my elderly COPD mother and her widowed friends.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Undecided

Local shows this weekend near Denver and next in Albuquerque have been cancelled, so no need to travel.

Other than picking up some coins I was scheduled to get, I'm not surprised or disappointed. Shows will happen again and there will be pent up demand.

Stay safe everyone!

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Undecided

California is closed :o

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    California is closed :o

Yes, indeed. I was planning to attend the Sunnyvale show this weekend but was notified last night of the cancellation.

Still waiting to hear on the Sacramento show next weekend. If it is held , I plan to attend.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Undecided

My kid's school got canceled for a month.

Everything in California is being shut down.

The stores are having runs on certain products.

Long lines to get in Costco and Now they limit it to 250 persons at one time in the store :o:o:o

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2020 10:45PM
    Yes, I am going to skip one or more coin shows.

The UK is giving up an effort to contain the virus.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson warned “many more” families will lose loved ones and advised everyone with any symptoms of the virus, including a cough or a fever, to stay at home for seven days. Schools will not yet be ordered to close under the plan, though this may change as the disease spreads.

“This is the worst public health crisis for a generation,” Johnson said at a press conference in his Downing Street office. “I must level with the British public, more families, many more families, are going to lose loved ones before their time.”

mark

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/u-k-abandons-effort-contain-171402771.html

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has any decision been made yet to cancel Central States? It is the only big one I get to every year.

Jeff

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Dang, George, I hope your decision is premature.

@giorgio11 said:
    I just cancelled our participation in the mid-April GNA Show in Dalton, Georgia. Regretfully.

One of the dealers I chatted with for a solid 30 minutes was from Dalton and he’s pumped for the show.

I plan on going up there. It’s only a couple hours away.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PocketArt said:
    Many are going to get sick, exposed, and be in contact with people who are contagious,...sooner or later, yet, maybe hope?

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-outbreak-could-hit-3-billion-adults-harvard-expert-2020-3

I'd rather get this, and fight it, or, die rather than live behind a mask. Not a future I want to embrace by any means; I don't think the reaper will be cheated on this one....even with all best efforts. He will take whom he wants.

Correct me if you've heard newer information, I've not heard yet that it's advisable for the healthy to wear masks, it gives one a false sense of security. It is, however, advisable for those with COVID-19 to wear masks to reduce the possibility of saliva spray droplets from coughs and sneezes travelling very far.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 804 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear of your father passing. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    I too am worried about my mom. She’s 85 and has traveled against my wishes to be with relatives.

@slider23 said:
    Per Well Health, on average, the flu season will usually end by April, but in some years it can linger into May. There have been six years in the past where the peak was in March. I am hoping the coronavirus does not like summer and slows down like a typical flu and we can get back to normal soon.

I’m hoping too, my in-laws are asking if I would help out at the funeral home when

@slider23 said:
    Here are some simple early modeling numbers for the virus. Total case numbers with people infected with the virus have grown at a rough average rate of 30% a day in the US since the last week of February. At that rate, the US will have more than 8,000 tested cases by next week, 40,000 cases in two weeks, and nearly 150,000 cases by the end of the month. Keep in mind China has less than 81,000 tested cases. At this pace our US health care system will be overloaded before the end of the month.

We need to go into hot spot virus management now that would include the following:
    Lock down no public gathering
    restricted travel in and out of area
    Coronavirus testing for anyone with flu like symptoms
    Hazmat suits for emergency services
    Required use of face masks for everyone outside of their residence
    Disinfectants used in public areas

If we do the above, we might have a chance to get this under control and save lives and the longer we wait the harder it gets to control. The government needs to step to the plate and provide the necessary gear and services to make this happen. I do not know about you, but I am tired of excuses, poor decisions and acting like there is low risk.

The United States is about to get a lesson in arrogance and ignorance I’m afraid to say. I can’t believe people in denial over this. All blame is on Trump they say. Why not get united over this to save our lives?
    Bad politics will kill 100‘S of thousands in US. I heard soccer moms crying on the Chicago radio station they had to watch their daughters basketball game from the parking lot on a Jumbotron. First off, my daughter Wouldn't be in there to play. Do soccer moms think their basketball daughters are immune.? Chicago boat show is cancelled this weekend in Schaumburg ,IL ......so they move it to Fox Valley venue instead. Maybe that building has a immunity to CV-19. This is a crazy idea, just to sell a boat o two. Hope this great country comes to its senses.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

@amwldcoin said:
    Dang, George, I hope your decision is premature.

@giorgio11 said:
    I just cancelled our participation in the mid-April GNA Show in Dalton, Georgia. Regretfully.

One of the dealers I chatted with for a solid 30 minutes was from Dalton and he’s pumped for the show.

I plan on going up there. It’s only a couple hours away.

I am particularly disappointed as I have done BRNA for years in August but never GNA in spring. Nothing is firm yet, but do stay tuned as the GNA show date approaches. The Dalton venue (I just found out they have renamed it; it is now the Dalton Convention Center rather than Northwest Georgia whatever) hosts many different conventions, and there is a possibility (nothing more right now) that the venue could cancel all events for some period of time.

Again, this is nothing definite and the show as of now is scheduled to continue AFAIK.

Y'all be safe ... er, in there!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

@ernie11 said:

@PocketArt said:

Correct me if you've heard newer information, I've not heard yet that it's advisable for the healthy to wear masks, it gives one a false sense of security. It is, however, advisable for those with COVID-19 to wear masks to reduce the possibility of saliva spray droplets from coughs and sneezes travelling very far.

Telling the healthy public that we should wash our hands, clean surfaces, social distance, but we do not need a N95 mask against an airborne virus is like putting a major league baseball catcher behind the plate with shin guards, cup, chest protector, but no face mask.

If we needed bullets and bombs to fight a war, our government would do what is necessary during a national emergency. We need face masks now to fight the virus. China and South Korea both employed the extensive use of face masks to turn the growing trend of the virus. The Feds worked with 3M to produce face masks, but they are not producing enough masks to meet the demand. There is a world shortage on face masks.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have worked extensively with infectious microorganisms for the last 30 years. The reasons why the Government has counseled against the routine use of face masks are: (1) current scarcity and the need to conserve them for healthcare workers, (2) people don't typically know what to buy (commonly available face masks are ineffective), and (3) disposable N95 masks require some training in order for the wearer to use them properly.

I would not walk into a biocontainment lab without a proper N95 face mask or PAPR. Within the next month, at the rate things are going, walking into a big store or supermarket may be less safe than walking through a BSL2 facility. The only smart thing to do is avoid unnecessary contact with crowds of other people.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    As long as you are not a white male that is obese, smokes, is pre-diabetic or over the age of 60 you should be fine.

That's an idiotic remark and very far from the truth.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2020 9:42AM

When Walmart has toilet paper in their stores I will go somewhere till then I am hunkered down waiting for this to pass!

• Options

Being a cheap ******* I don't have cable, and often use my neighbors wifi (with their permission), but I do have a Ku band satellite to watch free tv, called FTA (free to air). I watched this whole virus thing on CGTN, and they had a virologist come on early and brief the audience on how this thing kills you, and it's not normal. It just sits in your lungs not doing much, but activates your own immune system to destroy your upper lung, and the last treatment you get is a lovely straw stuck in your throat (tracheotomy), basically its aids in your lungs. You won't here that on the MSM, they just say people die of pneumonia. If you don't believe me, prove me wrong.

• Options

@Tallpaul000 said:
    Being a cheap ******* I don't have cable, and often use my neighbors wifi (with their permission), but I do have a Ku band satellite to watch free tv, called FTA (free to air). I watched this whole virus thing on CGTN, and they had a virologist come on early and brief the audience on how this thing kills you, and it's not normal. It just sits in your lungs not doing much, but activates your own immune system to destroy your upper lung, and the last treatment you get is a lovely straw stuck in your throat (tracheotomy), basically its aids in your lungs. You won't here that on the MSM, they just say people die of pneumonia. If you don't believe me, prove me wrong.

Now I am scared! :(

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgot just how much I hate getting sick until I was knocked down by a particularly bad case of sinusitis, this week. Not COVID-19, but very nasty, all the same. Definitely do not want to get COVID-19! I'm not in a high-risk category, but don't want to suffer with it for a week, either (especially not following my current experience).

I don't normally travel long distance for shows, but the nearby shows I would normally drive to (like Sunnyvale, this weekend, had I not already been sick) are being canceled, so the decision is out of my hands. In the short term, I will probably modify my habits, to a degree (assuming the shows are not all canceled, anyway). In the longer term, it's less sustainable for me to do that. At a certain point, boredom and missed opportunities will begin to outweigh the health concern. As time goes on, it also becomes more and more likely that this will be a moot point, as eventually, I will get exposed to COVID-19 via a venue that I can't avoid (like the supermarket).

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

@btcollects

Well, I don't know for sure, but I'm basing the diagnosis on my symptoms, which are bad sinusitis and bad sore throat (but no fever and no lower respiratory involvement). It just doesn't align well with how COVID-19 normally presents.

It's certainly not impossible to have an infection with atypical symptoms, but it seems most likely I have some other virus.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Undecided

I had no plans to go to Baltimore this time. I am hoping that my local club show can be held on April 11, but it’s on the “play it be ear” mode. I definitely hope that this will have blown over for summer FUN in July. If it hasn’t, the economy will be a tank, and so will my investments in equities.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Apple is closing all their stores around the world except for China ( ironic) until March 27. For some this will be the apocalypse

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2020 1:04PM

@Luxor said:

@MilesWaits said:
    As long as you are not a white male that is obese, smokes, is pre-diabetic or over the age of 60 you should be fine.

@MilesWaits said:

That's an idiotic remark and very far from the truth.

As far as I know, the virus has nothing to do with race or sex. It is opportunistic and anyone who has a compromised immune system, or respiratory issues, remains at high risk. That is what makes this so scary... the virus doesn't really care who you are.. once it gets into your system, and likes the environment... it's going to grow.

----- kj
  • Options

I'm not an Apple fan, so an applecalypse is OK as far as I am concerned.

• Options
    edited March 14, 2020 1:18PM

AOC was RIGHT!!!!! :(

France has declared that all non-essential stores, restaurants, movie theaters and cafes will be shut down starting Sunday to prevent the spread of coronavirus throughout the country. Your SAFE TILL SATURDAY NIGHT!

• Options
    Undecided

Here in Ohio; all schools closed effective next Monday to prevent spread between students.

So, on my Saturday workout at the YMCA today, kids everywhere! Pool was like munchkin land, and the gym was filled with high school kids, all mingling in, and, around with seniors...

On the bright side, movie theater is closed, and public library is too here. Knights of Columbus fish fry yesterday was carry out only.

My local "Y" is impervious to virus! :#

• Options
    edited March 14, 2020 4:48PM

@PocketArt said:
    Here in Ohio; all schools closed effective next Monday to prevent spread between students.

So, on my Saturday workout at the YMCA today, kids everywhere! Pool was like munchkin land, and the gym was filled with high school kids, all mingling in, and, around with seniors...

On the bright side, movie theater is closed, and public library is too here. Knights of Columbus fish fry yesterday was carry out only.

Public gather can be made safer from the virus.
    My dermatologist yesterday sent an email that the following safety per-cations were being taken:
    All patients and staff workers would be given a temperature check upon entering.
    All patients and staff workers would be provided a surgical face mask.
    All patients and staff workers would be provided a hand sanitizer.
    All surfaces would be sanitized daily or as necessary.

I got a teeth cleaning next week and I need to make a decision if I should go or put it off for three months.

• Options
    edited March 14, 2020 5:16PM
    Undecided

We need to go into hot spot virus management now that would include the following:
    Lock down no public gathering
    restricted travel in and out of area
    Coronavirus testing for anyone with flu like symptoms
    Hazmat suits for emergency services
    Required use of face masks for everyone outside of their residence
    Disinfectants used in public areas

If we do the above, we might have a chance to get this under control and save lives and the longer we wait the harder it gets to control. The government needs to step to the plate and provide the necessary gear and services to make this happen. I do not know about you, but I am tired of excuses, poor decisions and acting like there is low risk.

The United States is about to get a lesson in arrogance and ignorance I’m afraid to say. I can’t believe people in denial over this. All blame is on Trump they say. Why not get united over this to save our lives?
    Bad politics will kill 100‘S of thousands in US. I heard soccer moms crying on the Chicago radio station they had to watch their daughters basketball game from the parking lot on a Jumbotron. First off, my daughter Wouldn't be in there to play. Do soccer moms think their basketball daughters are immune.? Chicago boat show is cancelled this weekend in Schaumburg ,IL ......so they move it to Fox Valley venue instead. Maybe that building has a immunity to CV-19. This is a crazy idea, just to sell a boat o two. Hope this great country comes to its senses.

This contagion is a blessing in disguise, or, perhaps an anchor that will sink us. We will most certainly find out.

The hope is we may realize who we are- not "R's," or, "D's;" but, that we are Americans, under cause, belief, and not separated by labels, yet, are one in spirit, mind, and fortitude who equally care for each others dreams, and hopes.

This is what we need to strive for, always, in true dignity, while being humble in spirit,.

In such a calamity; love is the answer.

When we discover our mojo as a nation...let us chase those rascals out of Washington, give peace a chance, and truly let freedom ring.

Bombs, and ideologies fail. Peace, and love always prevail. Don't kid yourself!

Help your brother, always, and whomever. We all share this rock!

Go the extra mile; that one more step may save a life....That one life you saved may go on to save thousands...

Think of others.

@slider23 said:

@PocketArt said:

Public gather can be make safer from the virus.
    My dermatologist yesterday sent an email that the following safety per-cations were being taken:
    All patients and staff workers would be given a temperature check upon entering.
    All patients and staff workers would be provided a surgical face mask.
    All patients and staff workers would be provided a hand sanitizer.
    All surfaces would be sanitized daily or as necessary.

I got a teeth cleaning next week and I need to make a decision if I should go or put it off for three months.

I got a filling, and tooth repaired last Wednesday. My next cleaning isn't scheduled till July. I'd just get major stuff done now.

Also, vehicle maintenance, any minor health, etc,. Get rest done under calm waters. This is my approach at least.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. The family tells me to stay put. They tell me I'm high risk. Like I care. So......I'm stuck here on the ranch with a bunch of little Hydrants and the lovely Mrs. Hydrant. Not much sleep but..... We got work to do. The jokes on them. Or maybe me. Anyway,.......life couldn't be better.

Tootsie Pops all around!

• Options

@PocketArt said:

The Knights of Columbus and VFW fish fries are amongst my most treasured moments of my youth with my dad. I miss him so much.

The actually used to serve the fried fish and fried in actual newspaper. Man I hope that has changed

m

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found myself while searching on eBay for something that I wanted to buy such as Chinese Panda's coins and then deceided against it when the package is coming from China or Hong Kong or anywhere that is not the USA.

Don't want it delivered by guys in HAZ-MAT suits.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2020 6:06AM

Did I miss the email that world was ending, and it was the last time we could buy food? My area has gone into a buying panic. The hoarding is going to drive up prices. Even if we go to lock down, they are going to let you out of the house to buy food. The fresh meats, fresh vegetables, bread shelves were all empty. I get buying the can foods, disinfectants and water. The store was packed and all the crazy's were without masks spreading the virus. I felt like i was in a zombie movie. This is a time we need to come together and not every man for himself.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2020 7:17AM

I get the common sense practice of only essential co mingling.

But wouldn't it be safer to add another layer of accountability and buy a thermometer and test yourself?

With all the Federal dysfunction it's about the only tool we've got.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

My company just closed all of our stores in the US and 60 other countries until 3/27. We will continue to pay everyone during that time.

m

• Options

JC,
    That was a nice gesture. The reality, however, is that we are in for a long, rough ride. People are worried now, but just wait until hospitals start getting clogged with very sick coronavirus patients (this is happening in northern Italy). Then the s__t will hit the fan.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2020 1:28PM

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    JC,
    That was a nice gesture. The reality, however, is that we are in for a long, rough ride. People are worried now, but just wait until hospitals start getting clogged with very sick coronavirus patients (this is happening in northern Italy). Then the s__t will hit the fan.

I’m proud of this but yes we are all in for a tough go of it. Anyone in the work force is at risk. My wife on the other hand is in charge of layoffs on Monday at her company. Her hair is literally falling out. I hope she looks good bald. It’s almost immoral imho to lay off people now. They are freaked out enough as it is.

If this goes the way it has elsewhere our hospitals are ill prepared to handle this as you stated. The ICU’s will be over run at a minimum between this and the flu

Italy reported new 368 deaths today alone. It continues to ramp up there. Italy is the same size as California. So yes I’m a little concerned.

m

• Options
    edited March 15, 2020 1:28PM

I have gone into high gear, buying numismatic literature during the last couple of months (in part, making up for being AWOL for a couple of years). I have a feeling that I will be doing a great deal of reading during the next 5 months minimum.

• Options

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    I have gone into high gear, buying numismatic literature during the last couple of months (in part, making up for being AWOL for a couple of years). I have a feeling that I will be doing a great deal of reading during the next 5 months minimum.

I work from home when not traveling. I’m grounded for awhile.

I’m literally on the same page as you.

• Options

You have excellent taste, sir. Leonardo, the Coen brothers...

Some of my recent additions:

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I originally answered that it wouldn’t impact my attendance but now my options are limited without my choice.

This discussion has been closed.