Rhodium...10,900.00 .... -300.00

Thanks to Coronavirus fears.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2020 8:26AM

Not what, but "who?"

Japan is suspect of intervention in order to pump its dying fiat.

All one has to do is hit gold, the rest will follow.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Haven't seen that volume of movement in a while.

• Options

look for central banks to, more than ever, coordinate their efforts to save influence markets.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an impressive hit on gold.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

china was dumping cash into markets early on when their markets took limit down days.

as posted earlier, HK just gave every permanent resident HK$10,000

they can try to influence the usa market, but I think it is too early -- too much daily volume and too much pessimism -- to have a good effect. they can have a great effect once new infections start to climb at a slowing pace.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bitcoin is holding steady today...just saying.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Governments do not like Gold to soar in price. It makes their currency look weak. Draw your own conclusions.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot support this with hard evidence, however, I believe there has been a move from PM's into hard cash...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

@chesterb said:
    Bitcoin is holding steady today...just saying.

BTC is down 2%+ today, and 16% in the past two weeks. Gold is down only 6% after recent high on 24 Feb. Rhodium and Palladium getting beaten up finally - which makes sense because how many fewer cars will the Chinese build this year?

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I cannot support this with hard evidence, however, I believe there has been a move from PM's into hard cash...Cheers, RickO

PMs (no apostrophe needed) ARE hard cash... or so we were told 😉

Cheers, BaleO

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

they is sure taking a major dump today. if it goes low enough ill get some more

• Options

The precious metals recovered quickly after the Lehman Brothers hit, the stock market took about 1 1/2 years longer to recover. At this point, we don't even know which financial institutions are going down or what the official response will be.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2020 12:22PM

And the winner is? Cash

latest figures as of 2PM ET
    Gold........ 1568........-$76.00
    Silver 16.39.............. -$1.36
    Platinum 849.00 .......-$52.00
    Palladium 2430.00 .........-$324.00
    Rhodium 10300.00.... -$900.00

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold Silver ratio has moved from 85-1 to 95-1 very quickly.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

go cash!!

actually bond prices are in a high nosebleed area.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

msnBS just suggested that central banks might sell gold to raise cash. after all, as suggested by ben Bernanke, gold is not money; central banks only hold it for traditional purposes. I guess they feel it is time to break with tradition.

• Options

Or possibly a butter reason:, maybe it's just margarine calls on everything.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobM said:

Oh, that's just precious!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2020 2:13PM

What goes up must come down I suppose. 93 octane here in the Consumption State hasn't gone down, still $3.24 a gallon.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

Anyone have any good stock picks during this freefall?

• Options
    RonBRonB Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@ricko said:

"I cannot support this with hard evidence, however, I believe there has been a move from PM's into hard fiat cash."

Fixed it for you.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb....Thank you... that is appropriate....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baley said:

@RobM said:

Oh, that's just precious!

Don't butter him up.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

Lysol.

• Options

@morgansforever said:

TVIX

• Options
    ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

Some good picks if the selloff continues are ticker "SH" which is an inverse S&P 500 ETF (goes up when the S&P goes down) and BND which is a total bond fund that is useful to have when rates drop and investors are looking for safehaven places to put their $$$ like now. Always do your due diligence but it doesn't look like the market is liking the coronavirus...which doesn't look like it is going to slow down anytime soon.

• Options

It's nerve racking, never bought a share of stock in my life, it's always been 401k, roth ira and pm's. I'm glad I stayed away from the cannabis stocks, I believe some will be booted from the exchange. Two I was considering were ACB and HEXO, both have lost 75% or so in the last year.

• Options
    edited February 29, 2020 11:03AM

The equity carnage is forcing investors to seek alternatives. The recent climb in gold showed their preference. The recent hammer on gold sends these investors where the FED wants them, US treasuries. Treasuries will soon prove to be the wrong place to be. Gold will continue to be attacked, but it will not fail.

• Options

@RobM said:
    msnBS just suggested that central banks might sell gold to raise cash. after all, as suggested by ben Bernanke, gold is not money; central banks only hold it for traditional purposes. I guess they feel it is time to break with tradition.

Central banks don't need to sell gold to raise cash, they can print all they want. Central banks hold gold for the same reason you and I do: so we have something of value when the currency has little to none. Like I have said many times, "insurance."

• Options

_msnBS just suggested that central banks might sell gold to raise cash. after all, as suggested by ben Bernanke, gold is not money; central banks only hold it for traditional purposes. _

That doesn't explain why BIS reclassified gold as a Tier I asset a couple years ago. Gold has no counterparty risk.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2020 3:03AM

1st confirmed death in Washington state, not good news for any of us.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    And the winner is? Cash

latest figures as of 2PM ET
    Gold........ 1568........-$76.00
    Silver 16.39.............. -$1.36
    Platinum 849.00 .......-$52.00
    Palladium 2430.00 .........-$324.00
    Rhodium 10300.00.... -$900.00

The winner is if you are long ( long term high quality bonds)

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking hard at Boeing and Microsoft right now. I like Boeing at $250, once this media hysterics are over and the 737max is cleared to fly this will jump (my opinion at least)

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best investment MRE !!!

stands for meals ready to eat , prices have tripled I've got 6 cases I might have to flog them on ebay for ruinous prices. Exploit the frightened sheep :D

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monday l be interesting. Might re-load JNUG again. GLTA

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

@bronco2078 said:
    Best investment MRE !!!

stands for meals ready to eat , prices have tripled I've got 6 cases I might have to flog them on ebay for ruinous prices. Exploit the frightened sheep :D

I forget which MRE'S came with the chocolate peanut butter bar, might have been Chicken Cacciatore. I called it Chicken Catchya Later. The dehydrated burger was nasty unless you had hot water to reconstitute it.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

@bronco2078 said:
    Best investment MRE !!!

I forget which MRE'S came with the chocolate peanut butter bar, might have been Chicken Cacciatore. I called it Chicken Catchya Later. The dehydrated burger was nasty unless you had hot water to reconstitute it.

Interesting, I always went for the dehydrated beef patty, Place on those saltine crackers, topped with that slag city cheese and powdered ketchup. Instant desert cheeseburger.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

long time ago , 80's era there was a good chicken ala king.

I have low standards when it comes to food, as a kid I loved powdered milk and voluntarily purchased it as an adult :D

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@morgansforever said:
    1st confirmed death in Washington state, not good news for all of us.

10,000 people die of the flu every year don't they? And there is a vaccine for flu , which most people don't even get .

seems like a media driven frenzy , if it wasn't repeated every 60 seconds by the media we wouldn't even notice

Media coverage is possibly a bit overblown, but yours is an ignorant statement. This is an extremely infectious virus, and 20% of all cases are critical. This means that when it shows up in a community, it leads to an outbreak, and when there is an outbreak it overloads local hospital facilities (bad news not only for people with the virus but anyone else with medical issues). Of that 20% who are critical, fatality rates are about 10%. Also, unlike the flu, there is evidence that immunity resistance isn’t developed in those who have been sick, as there have been a lot of examples of reinfections. What this means about the development of a vaccine is still unclear.

It’s not useful when people panic without knowing what is actually going on (and there’s plenty of that, though it does create buy opportunities) but also not useful when people spout off about not worrying when there is a real problem, which can lead to a worsening of the spread of the virus. Do your research before you say things.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:

Preparation H

• Options

@ffcoins said:

@bronco2078 said:

@morgansforever said:

10,000 people die of the flu every year don't they? And there is a vaccine for flu , which most people don't even get .

seems like a media driven frenzy , if it wasn't repeated every 60 seconds by the media we wouldn't even notice

Media coverage is possibly a bit overblown, but yours is an ignorant statement. This is an extremely infectious virus, and 20% of all cases are critical. This means that when it shows up in a community, it leads to an outbreak, and when there is an outbreak it overloads local hospital facilities (bad news not only for people with the virus but anyone else with medical issues). Of that 20% who are critical, fatality rates are about 10%. Also, unlike the flu, there is evidence that immunity resistance isn’t developed in those who have been sick, as there have been a lot of examples of reinfections. What this means about the development of a vaccine is still unclear.

It’s not useful when people panic without knowing what is actually going on (and there’s plenty of that, though it does create buy opportunities) but also not useful when people spout off about not worrying when there is a real problem, which can lead to a worsening of the spread of the virus. Do your research before you say things.

Possibly? 1 death so far and every channel is a non stop corona panic fountain. Im in Mass I saw about 20 people at the super market wearing masks yesterday :D

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ffcoins said:

@bronco2078 said:

@morgansforever said:

The coronavirus virus appears to be very contagious with a relatively high mortality rate. The influenza virus has a mortality rate of 0.25% while the coronavirus virus may be as high as 5%. If the virus does indeed spread rapidly things may get very ugly. There’s no reason to panic but on the other hand let’s not downplay it either.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@ffcoins said:

@bronco2078 said:

@morgansforever said:

Possibly? 1 death so far and every channel is a non stop corona panic fountain. Im in Mass I saw about 20 people at the super market wearing masks yesterday :D

Not “possibly,” these are statistics. On the other hand, I don’t know where you’re getting “1 death” from; thousands of people are documented to have died from this virus since December.

Mass, by the way, has already been on high flu alert for almost a month now as the weather conditions are conducive to the spread of viruses, and the universities have been struggling with high rates of absences because students don’t practice good hygiene (nor do people on the T). That includes simple behaviors like covering your mouth (with an elbow or, yes, a mask) and washing your hands. Or do you not believe in that, either?

• Options

@ffcoins said:

@bronco2078 said:

@ffcoins said:

@bronco2078 said:

@morgansforever said:

Not “possibly,” these are statistics. On the other hand, I don’t know where you’re getting “1 death” from; thousands of people are documented to have died from this virus since December.

Mass, by the way, has already been on high flu alert for almost a month now as the weather conditions are conducive to the spread of viruses, and the universities have been struggling with high rates of absences because students don’t practice good hygiene (nor do people on the T). That includes simple behaviors like covering your mouth (with an elbow or, yes, a mask) and washing your hands. Or do you not believe in that, either?

1 death in the US right? Not talking china , not talking worldwide 1 death here in the US . In the last two months here in the US how many deaths from seasonal flu?

CDC estimates* that, from October 1, 2019, through February 22, 2020, there have been:
    32,000,000 – 45,000,000
    flu illnesses

14,000,000 – 21,000,000
    flu medical visits

310,000 – 560,000
    flu hospitalizations

18,000 – 46,000
    flu deaths

• Options

@skier07 said:

@ffcoins said:

@bronco2078 said:

@morgansforever said:

The coronavirus virus appears to be very contagious with a relatively high mortality rate. The influenza virus has a mortality rate of 0.25% while the coronavirus virus may be as high as 5%. If the virus does indeed spread rapidly things may get very ugly. There’s no reason to panic but on the other hand let’s not downplay it either.

The mortality rate looks to be around 2%, depending on the medical facilities available, which is very high compared to the flu. It’s that 20% critical rate though that has overwhelmed health care systems in other countries and caused social unrest.