Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Selling like hotcakes

I'm not sure if you have heard of Banty Red cards, but they are extremely sought after in the hobby these days. They are custom cards that are painstakingly hand crafted. Every December the maker of these cards holds an annual Christmas auction on Ebay. These cards have different designs and take a lot of work to produce. Here are some of the cards up for auction this year.

Comments

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Banty Red cards are nice looking, but I think you overstate their popularity a bit. I’m not sure they’re “extremely sought after.” I think most collectors don’t know what Banty Red cards are and a significant portion of the remainder don’t collect customs or unlicensed cards. There’s no doubt that they’re works of art, but I think they’re a smaller niche than you say.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know what actually DOES sell like hotcakes??? These.....

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

They seem to be pretty popular. There are 253 of them up for auction on Ebay, and every single one of them has bids placed on them. A lot of them have bidding wars going on. They seem to be pretty popular among collectors.

They've got Joe!

• TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Here's mine.

@Tomi said:
    Here's mine.

That is awesome! I'm speechless! I love that design!

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Might be the first green label I have seen.

I wonder if the t-shirt redemption thing is real?

Would be fun to see the facial expression when he opened the envelope and 5 tabs are in there. Cards would still get green holdered, too. 😉

• Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

Pretty cool. I really like the Lamotta, Sayers & Johnson card designs. Never seen these before though. The Mantle is pretty cool too.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

edited December 12, 2019 6:51AM

A few more up for auction.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photos are GREAT!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

I'm a fan. Only one Frank Thomas made to date that I know of and I made sure to grab it.

Similarly, an artist going by Sport King has popped up using the Sporting Life "brand" doing equally quality work with a strong niche following.

This standee is my most recent pick up from the maker:

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com

@BunchOBull said:
    I'm a fan. Only one Frank Thomas made to date that I know of and I made sure to grab it.

Similarly, an artist going by Sport King has popped up using the Sporting Life "brand" doing equally quality work with a strong niche following.

This standee is my most recent pick up from the maker:

Awesome Frank Thomas cards! I have also managed to pick up a Sporting Life card of Joe Louis.

• I actually do and have honored the T-Shirt exchange! It's my pleasure. The tees are the least expensive and not the highest quality, but you CAN wear 'em! The first time I got the tabs in the mail, I was aware they were coming but was still laughing when I opened them.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

First I have heard of these. I remember buying some “Broder” cards in the mid-late 80’s. Similar in that they are nice looking cards, unlicensed, and not sure of their popularity for the future.

• I would like to thank doubledragon for introducing our cards here and his kind words. I am well aware they are not accepted &/or fully understood by everyone but I'm not sure the actual human nature/need of collecting _anything_makes much sense :)
    If you like it--I say "Have at it!"

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

@BuckHunter68 said:
    I would like to thank doubledragon for introducing our cards here and his kind words. I am well aware they are not accepted &/or fully understood by everyone but I'm not sure the actual human nature/need of collecting _anything_makes much sense :)

You are very welcome, and keep up the good work! I find these cards to be very fascinating and beautiful works of art.

@BuckHunter68 said:
    I actually do and have honored the T-Shirt exchange! It's my pleasure. The tees are the least expensive and not the highest quality, but you CAN wear 'em! The first time I got the tabs in the mail, I was aware they were coming but was still laughing when I opened them.

The heads up took all the fun outta it!

Now, did you have t-shirt's prior to the heads up? 😄

Understand these are modern reproductions, but they are high quality pieces of work and from my limited knowledge tend to fetch pretty decent money. So cutting off the tabs, especially off 5 cards, still woulda / had to of seemed very unlikely?

As a biz major/owner, I mighta went with a card redemption similar to the '33 Lajoie or something. Seems period correct and would probably drive realized value of some of the less popular cards simply for the tabs. Being that the cards aren't 1/1 any longer, it might lead to more redemptions thus making the cards individually unique or the ones with tabs maintain a higher perceived value? If it does come to fruition, I'd probably send one to the suggestor as well. Just a thought.

• BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

A card redemption would have been awesome. That's a tip I may use at some point if I produce tabs again!
    The fellow that cut them actually WANTED them cut to display each card without the advertising tab. To be honest, I was perplexed. I considered the tab part of the artwork! Lol
    And, no. I hadn't pre-ordered the tee shirt :)

• TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2019 4:54PM

What years were these made? Do you have an actual checklist? Curious what year my Mantle was made. It says 1957 on the label but that's not the actual year it was made is it?

That card was made in 2016. It is the only copy I ever had holdered. The "1957" should be in quotes (PSA mistake) and is based on the prior (1956) season. There have been only 2 of those sold to date. That series currently contains 148 different cards. I made two different Mantle's for that year. Both have a population of 2. Here's the "red one"...

w/ tab! 😊

@BuckHunter68 said:
    I would like to thank doubledragon for introducing our cards here and his kind words. I am well aware they are not accepted &/or fully understood by everyone but I'm not sure the actual human nature/need of collecting _anything_makes much sense :)

Have you produced any other Big Hurt pieces? Also, do you happen to know the print run on the one I purchased above?

Hello! Print run on the one you purchased is...the one you purchased. There are no plans to make another one of those BUT I'm toying with the idea of him in the '52 Modern series...card #'s 308-407. He's too good to leave out! I own that 35mm slide of Frank so once the slide is paid for, I'd rather keep the population down. I feel it may add some collectibility if only a handful of a card are made.

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

They are quite popular, as many sell very strongly. I have a handful, Garvey being my primary target, but have picked up some other Dodgers. If you are going to buy unlicensed ACEO/Art/Custom/broder cards, this is the way to go.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.

@BuckHunter68 said:
    Hello! Print run on the one you purchased is...the one you purchased. There are no plans to make another one of those BUT I'm toying with the idea of him in the '52 Modern series...card #'s 308-407. He's too good to leave out! I own that 35mm slide of Frank so once the slide is paid for, I'd rather keep the population down. I feel it may add some collectibility if only a handful of a card are made.

I always wondered where that slide ended up. I was underbidder and - knowing the Thomas market - was shocked I didn't win it. Sorry I drove the price up so high! Love the card.

• @BunchOBull said:

I always wondered where that slide ended up. I was underbidder and - knowing the Thomas market - was shocked I didn't win it. Sorry I drove the price up so high! Love the card.

Lol! You are a heck of a collector, that's for sure. What attracted you to Frank? Are you happy for Hawk Harrelson getting into HOF?

edited December 13, 2019 12:58PM

Artee> @artee said:

w/ tab! 😊

I must've cut the tabs on dozens of Red Man as a kid. Worst part was--it was in the 70's and they were not redeemable, Lol! It was a dotted line sooooooo...a child must cut! Good times. Back then I LAMINATED a pack-fresh '57 Yankees Sluggers card. I thought it made it look cool. What a dope.

Don’t beat yourself up too hard for this simple fact...everyone cut those cards. Not only did they cut them, they cut them right on the inside of that dotted line or said border to be aesthetically eye appealing as possible.

Flash forward 50 years and grading enters the picture. In order not to be deemed an auto “A” you have to have the perforated lines or smidge of outlying border to garner that ever so rare numerical grade.

And I dont know any kid from any era, be it red-man or cap’n crunch cards that left extra space.

If anything, that first cut was a lil wavy, so ya trimmed it down just a little more! 😉

Try being left-handed w/ only righty scissors and having to do it upside down! Most of my Kraft Mac n Cheese cards ended up looking like t206s.

Hahahahaha! Classic!!
    There's comfort knowing you're not alone B)

@BuckHunter68 said:

@BunchOBull said:

Lol! You are a heck of a collector, that's for sure. What attracted you to Frank? Are you happy for Hawk Harrelson getting into HOF?

Grew up in Central Florida with WGN and TBS (pre-Marlins), so my NL team was Atlanta and and AL team was the White Sox. After Frank's stint in Sarasota I started following him and then I could actually watch him on TV when he game up to the big show. Always related to him for some reason as a kid. 30 years later, here we are.

edited January 22, 2020 8:25PM

Greetings!
    I've added '41 & '51s to the "Lost" series from Banty Red for 2020. Bob Lemon, Bob Feller and Phil Rizzuto from '41 and Wally Post, Mantle, Jackie Robinson, Mays, Erskine (Carl's grandson request), DiMaggio, Ford. Does anybody have suggestions for a card that never was that I might add?

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭

Those card are fantastic.
    How are they sold

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

Thank you, Jay! I sell on eBay each week (Banty_Red_Tobacco). I also have a website bantyred.com
    I'm hoping to get some suggestions of cards to make. The set is open-ended, so there's no real limit to individual cards.
    The populations will go up only 1-2 copies per year, as usual.

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always thought Maury Wills should have had a 1962 Topps card to commemorate his MVP year - or really any card before 1967... Here is a good read on the reasons why he never had one.

https://thewaxfantastic.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/the-mysterious-case-of-the-maury-wills-rookie-card-2/

Mike
    Bosox1976

There's actually a plan for a '62 Wills this spring! Good call. I did quite a few 62's that include Stargell, McDowell and Oliva that came out really nice. I'm a sucker for 1962 Topps.

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

I'm diggin the 62 Murph.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

are you a Murphy guy? I'm kind of a Murphy fanatic. I collect negatives of him. He's among the best people I've met in or out of the game.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

How 'bout a 1955 Bowman of Roberto Clemente?
    He's one of my favorites.

• dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

That Nettles is really nice!

@Tibor said:
    How 'bout a 1955 Bowman of Roberto Clemente?
    He's one of my favorites.

That would be a great card.

@dad2cl3 said:
    That Nettles is really nice!

Thank you! For whatever reason, I make an inordinate amount of Nettles cards. I like him. He's like an unsung star of some really excellent teams the Yankees had.

• flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Those 62's pop nicely, cool vintage feel to them.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store

Thank you! It's the custom filters I use. Each card is manually put through individual filters created for the year/process of production. Some I keep heavily filtered and some I back off a bit to produce extra focus, color, etc. I'm fanatical about these thing, Lol.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the Nettles. He was my favorite childhood player.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some good options listed in this thread above, including the M. Wills ones. Here are a few more base (non-subset) Topps Cards that should have been but never were:

1967 Sandy Koufax
    1974 Willie Mays
    1975 Al Kaline
    1977 Hank Aaron

Also could consider the following, though the yearly games played totals aren't in favor of them existing:

1962 Early Wynn
    1963 Early Wynn

• tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Love those 55's! I always struggle with the 55s because they look off center top to bottom. The little "Color TV" banner at the bottom throws my eye off and I always find myself thinking the top border is too thin until I look and remember the bottom banner. Those 55s, however, look sweet!
    kevin

• dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Would love to see some hockey players in that 55 set as a twist on the 66/67 Topps hockey set

@tulsaboy said:
    Love those 55's! I always struggle with the 55s because they look off center top to bottom. The little "Color TV" banner at the bottom throws my eye off and I always find myself thinking the top border is too thin until I look and remember the bottom banner. Those 55s, however, look sweet!
    kevin

Thank you! I agree! The T/B thing is really tough. I collect NM 55's and always look for NO lines and centering. I'll live with a few chips--can't live with poor centering or cut lines.