Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Selling like hotcakes

Comments

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

@dad2cl3 said:
    Would love to see some hockey players in that 55 set as a twist on the 66/67 Topps hockey set

Perhaps I can do a couple. Currently, I'm working on the reverses for the 55's. I want to do something special...not sure what, at this point :/

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't think of mentioning hockey but that is a great idea. First on my suggestion list would be something in one of the designs between 1947-1951 for a proper Bill Barilko card. The Winning Goal card from the 1951 Parkies is a classic but he also deserves having a traditional card (not the 1949 wrapper) all his own from his playing years, yet never got one.

• Options

Guys,
    Last November I started an interesting project. Basketball cards have had a very sporadic history, to say the least.
    From 1958 until the late 60's, Topps abandoned hoops. Probably for the same reason that I don't make too many--they don't sell. Still, I enjoy them. I have begun small fantasy sets beginning with an 8-card run of 58-59 and a 5-card run of 59-60. Another small batch to represent 60-61 is due out soon. Basically, these are "what they may have looked like cards".
    I took into consideration what execs may have been thinking given successes/failures they had experienced and what production techniques were available. While we enjoy the challenge of Topps '57 set today--it was NOT popular at all that year. Topps scrapped it the following year leaving us a major void in that end of the sportscard genre.
    CARD DESIGN...
    I figured to build some awareness of the expanding league, they would have featured large logos and try to build some familiarity with the visual aspects of the court. Next, they needed to "personalize" the players. Make the faces friendly and marketable as most fans had never seen these guys up close; hence the photos featuring their close-ups. The '58 set was born.
    What would you suggest for elements of a 1960-1961 design?

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options

Wanted to check in and share a few of the new flexichrome '52 cards. The studio has been BUSY!!!

• Options

More...

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Was just looking at this....the 55 Bowman Jackie, Sandy and Roberto are just gorgeous. I actually love that set with the dark brown cards.

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

I am just seeing this as well, never been into custom cards but I think I am about to be.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know what sells like hot cakes?

Hot cakes! 😉

• Options
    edited September 27, 2020 8:30AM

Hotcakes...are we fans of plain with butter and syrup...or...smothered in fruity goodness? I like blueberries in the batter, myself.
    Hotcakes, regardless, always sound good and have a buyer.

• Options

A few more recent additions...the set is now up to 517 cards! Both #517 Sammy Whites here...

• Options

• Options

One of my "missing Dodgers"...lots of missing Dodgers in the '53 set, especially.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's nice to see Chuck Connors getting some love!

• Options

Coming in 2021...'52 Style football. It was a matter if time before I used flexichrome on football! These are a blast to work on.

• Options

Anybody else get an Al Bundy thing from Y.A. Tittle?

• Options

This set should be up to 36 cards by the Christmas auctions. I'm looking for 1950's suggestions.

• Options
    edited September 18, 2020 2:05PM

Now, BuckHunter, if you're looking for 1950s suggestions, please look into a player by the name of Hardy Brown. He played for the 49ers in the mid 1950s, and he is one of the most vicious and feared players to ever play the game. No cards exist of him except a 1955 49ers team issue photo type card and a custom card that the legendary Bob Lemke made years ago. Hardy Brown was a dangerous man on the field, and he was feared by everyone. He delivered bone crushing hits. Here is an article about him. He is a fascinating subject. He was a bad man on the field.

https://profootballdaly.com/hardy-brown-the-orneriest-critter-who-ever-buckled-a-chinstrap/

Here is the card Bob Lemke made of Hardy Brown. Bob Lemke made this card because no cards exist of Hardy Brown and Bob Lemke knew what a bad ass Hardy Brown was.

Here is Bob Lemke's blog about making this card.

http://boblemke.blogspot.com/2012/12/first-card-for-most-feared-tackler-of.html?m=1

• Options
    edited September 18, 2020 4:36PM

Here is a taste of some Hardy Brown footage. It just brings chills to your spine. He's the kind of guy that just fascinates. The guy was so feared.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TeJFEf7JfUA

• Options

you doing red and black backs on the 52s? hint hint.

• Options

I love these ideas!!! Love them. Thank you!

• Options

anytime. 😉

• Options

Card #'s 11, 12, 13...

• Options

@BuckHunter68 Awesome cards, that Hardy Brown is just beautiful, it's just unbelievable. It just sends chills up my spine to see that card! It is so awesome to see him finally get his due in this hobby. He was just an absolute beast. That is so awesome! Beautiful work.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    @BuckHunter68 Awesome cards, that Hardy Brown is just beautiful, it's just unbelievable. It just sends chills up my spine to see that card! It is so awesome to see him finally get his due in this hobby. He was just an absolute beast. That is so awesome! Beautiful work.

Goodness, Thank you!
    I read quite a bit about him. He's a fascinating guy for sure.
    The Niners were loaded with exciting players in the 1950's!
    The card itself was kinda difficult as there are not clean images of him readily available.

• Options

The lack of clean images for many of the NFL greats of the late 40's and 50's is sad. Still, the cards work ok...

• Options
    edited September 25, 2020 12:03PM

My favorites, Stabler, Olsen, Earl Campbell...coming soon...

• Options
    edited September 25, 2020 12:08PM

The newer 35mm stuff is very sharp and difficult to downgrade into more authentic looking 52's but they can make attractive cards nonetheless.
    Does anybody remember how Campbell would basically carry tacklers with him for 7 or 8 yards? He was unreal. Christian Okoye had that same vibe for a short while.
    All I have to do is see a picture of Earl Campbell, Terry Bradshaw, Dave Casper... and I'm 11 years old again.

• Options

@BuckHunter68 said:
    The newer 35mm stuff is very sharp and difficult to downgrade into more authentic looking 52's but they can make attractive cards nonetheless.
    Does anybody remember how Campbell would basically carry tacklers with him for 7 or 8 yards? He was unreal. Christian Okoye had that same vibe for a short while.
    All I have to do is see a picture of Earl Campbell, Terry Bradshaw, Dave Casper... and I'm 11 years old again.

Earl Campbell was a defenders worst nightmare.

• Options

There was just nobody like him.
    That powder blue keg of dynamite seemed to gain energy with contact. Just spectacular to watch.
    I KNEW you'd get me some video!
    Thank you so much. You made my day! I will go show this to my son who, like his Dad, loves running backs of all styles.

• Options

@BuckHunter68 said:
    There was just nobody like him.
    That powder blue keg of dynamite seemed to gain energy with contact. Just spectacular to watch.
    I KNEW you'd get me some video!
    Thank you so much. You made my day! I will go show this to my son who, like his Dad, loves running backs of all styles.

You're welcome, I love the footage of these legendary players, I just can't seem to get enough of it!

• Options
    edited September 25, 2020 4:41PM

• Options
    edited September 29, 2020 9:01AM

A few new ones from the weekend...

511 Goldsberry and #513 Ramazzotti

• Options
    edited September 29, 2020 9:06AM

Slight re-work to the Ashburn. Added a print roller mark to the left side and popped the magenta plate a bit.
    It's hard for me to fathom that this set is up to 550 cards. It's hard for me to fathom the money I have spent on proof photos and licenses! Lol I counted over 300 Jacobellis proofs have been used in making this set.
    Our passions are interesting, indeed.

• Options

• Options

This guy fanned 27 dudes in a professional game...rotator cuff tear ended his career... known as original "Rocket"

• Options

Two of the all-time greats...

• Options

I had a fine collector from these forums request Lance Alworth last year. After a failed attempt in June, it got reworked and it's coming soon

• Options

How 'bout some new Hockey!?! This set is only planned for 32 cards. Here's the first 3...

• Options

Today's effort...

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

That Dave Keon would look nice next to my Bobby Orr!

Jason

• Options

@dad2cl3 said:
    That Dave Keon would look nice next to my Bobby Orr!

Jason

You have the Orr? That's great! There are only 2 of those. The Hull is coming out this year.
    There's only 6 cards in the set, of course, but the Orr is the prize! Thank you, Jason!

• Options

Thanks for the heads up on the Hull! I'd like to complete that set of six for sure!

Thanks,

Jason

• Options

Here's the Yzerman...he's coming before the Hull...his file is done.

• Options

@BuckHunter68 said:
    Here's the Yzerman...he's coming before the Hull...his file is done.

Nice! The first Flyers game I saw live was against a very young Steve Yzerman and the Red Wings. They absolutely massacred the Flyers!

Jason

• Options

Those Wings teams were incredible. Yzerman is historically underrated, IMO

• Options

@BuckHunter68 said:
    Those Wings teams were incredible. Yzerman is historically underrated, IMO

He was one of those guys that I wanted to hate. His skill made it impossible to hate him though. Same with Joe Sakic. Just incredible players.

Jason

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BuckHunter68 said:
    I had a fine collector from these forums request Lance Alworth last year. After a failed attempt in June, it got reworked and it's coming soon

That Alworth card is very sharp!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:

@BuckHunter68 said:

That Alworth card is very sharp!

Thank you, Todd!!!

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will it be coming up for sale? Might have to chase it to add to my signed Alworth collection.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

It will be, indeed. It will be on eBay in November! The autograph is a facsimile, of course. The reverse has career data.