Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Old School, are you really?

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020 9:12PM

One of my old flip phones, back about 3 or 4 yrs. ago, I remember I accidentally bent it backwards. Cracked in half. Flips are very easy to bend backwards. Right there I should of bought a Android or Iphone. but no, I bought another Flip. :s

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020 1:56AM

The only phone I have is a rugged Samsung flip phone, provided by my employer. I don't have a need for a smartphone, clubbing me over the head all day long telling me what to think and believe. Watched a woman walk right into a street lamp pole, holding her phone and walking, very funny. PCGS and all the services should revert back to a simple slab, one slab, one label, just grade the coin. No more FS, first day, first in line, a label for this, a label for that, jmo.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Phone plugs into the wall ;)

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody here old-school with there daily driver cars? I normally go 15 2 years 20 years back you'll never see me with fancy bluetooth and built in GPS 😂

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I woke up today feeling old but I suddenly feel young and modern.

I have rarely lived near a B&M that I could access easily, it's been the internet (since before 1998 on eBay) and shows for me.

I can't remember the last network TV show I've watched other than binge watching from an online service, I've had an iPhone since 3. No landline in a decade. 19/20 novels I read are on an e-Reader and have been known to tap a page in a paper book and wonder why I wasn't getting a word definition to pop up.

Haven't lived within 200 miles of a bank/credit union branch in a decade either if you don't count my local bank I have only for an SDB--I only keep the minimum to have an account there, so it's not banking, it's storage.

I used to be a manual transmission snob and clung to my last 'dog-mobile' car that had one. Anything that was good for dogs had that option taken away and I refused to buy an automatic (a Mini Cooper has a manual, but doesn't hold big dogs well...). Anyway, that car died and now I have an electric car that plugs into a wall socket. Not an automatic at least :smiley:. Someday I suppose I will be parking on a giant wireless charging pad.

Still use a loupe though. And would much rather flip pages in a catalog than on a website.

I wonder what the next decade or two will change, and at what point will I not change with it...

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well now... I recall we had a party line as a kid and had to listen before making a call to see if anyone else was on the line... and never long distance until after seven at night. I do have a smartphone... worked with computers since they invented the PC...House phone is a flip though....I use a loupe on coins, and most of my firearms are modern - a couple of old ones.....I use cash mostly, but also CC's...mow my own lawn, but hire the snow shoveling... ;) ....Still work a few days a week, because I like it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old school? Why, I used to get Netflix through the mail on DVD. DVD!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just banged out a submission form with a manual typewriter Monday night.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    I just banged out a submission form with a manual typewriter Monday night.

Seriously? That's hard-core old school.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bushes growing in our unused Toronto payphones.....................

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first ...uh...portable phone was sorta like this.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~BgAAOSwWNNdnMbn/s-l640.jpg

only I think it was bigger. :s

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been through brick phones , flip phones, blackberries & apples. Technology keeps opening my eyes to my own ignorance. Fruits and nuts. A healthy diet.

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

@ike126 said:
    Anybody here old-school with there daily driver cars? I normally go 15 2 years 20 years back you'll never see me with fancy bluetooth and built in GPS 😂

1997 Buick with cassette deck and am/fm radio. Use a key to unlock doors.

• Options

@topstuf said:
    My first ...uh...portable phone was sorta like this.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~BgAAOSwWNNdnMbn/s-l640.jpg

only I think it was bigger. :s

Yeah, I do remember those. LOL

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJandTundra said:

@ike126 said:

1980 3/4 Ton Chevy truck. Started with a AM/FM 8 track, went to AM/FM cassette deck. No air or power on the inside.

Ken
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2020 9:41AM

@BJandTundra said:
    My first phone was a crank on the side of the wooden box, which woke up the Operator across town, to whom you told what number you wanted to talk to. She then plugged a wire in a hole in a big board to connect your call. Really old school.

Like these?

LOL

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not use both. Mix and match and enjoy the best of both worlds says I. I enjoy a car with a manual transmission but I'm down to only one of those now. I also have a car that thinks it can drive and park itself. They're both fun to drive. Dad passed away last year and the 5 of us kids are still arguing about who gets his 8-track player and tapes. Ever watch someone add up a bill with an abacus? It's as fast as any other method and it's thousands of years old. I know how to use Apple pay and all that electronic nonsense but I generally carry and use cash. 500 year-old houses in Europe have fiber optic Internet service. It's all good. :)

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Why not use both. Mix and match and enjoy the best of both worlds says I. I enjoy a car with a manual transmission but I'm down to only one of those now. I also have a car that thinks it can drive and park itself. They're both fun to drive. Dad passed away last year and the 5 of us kids are still arguing about who gets his 8-track player and tapes. Ever watch someone add up a bill with an abacus? It's as fast as any other method and it's thousands of years old. I know how to use Apple pay and all that electronic nonsense but I generally carry and use cash. 500 year-old houses in Europe have fiber optic Internet service. It's all good. :)

i agree completely. Not sure where we would be without the advancements. I believe times are faster than they used to be, seems like you don't have time for anything anymore! B)

Ken
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

still use a land line.....have never used a cell phone of any type

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still go to Western Union to wire money and send telegrams.

• Options
    radiomanradioman Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I don't have a cell phone just a answering machine hooked up to my home phone.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a young Civil Engineer, I used a slide rule to perform design calculations. This was a time before electronic calculators. I wonder how many people know how to use a slide rule now.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    I used to hot brand cattle working for my grandpa on his farm. Branding iron cowboy style. Wish I still had that branding iron. That was old school even then but grandpa was old fashion.

Is that old school? I live in Western Wyoming and as far as I know that's how all the ranchers here do it. It's been a few years, but I've helped with my share of brandings.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    When I was a young Civil Engineer, I used a slide rule to perform design calculations. This was a time before electronic calculators. I wonder how many people know how to use a slide rule now.

Not many, as most engineering students today can't even read a Vernier caliper or Micrometer that is not digital.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Certainly very few under the age of 50 or so. My Dad gave me his and showed me how to use it. I still have it somewhere, but as that was 25 years ago, I don't remember how to use it anymore.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chumley said:
    still use a land line.....have never used a cell phone of any type

@radioman said:
    I don't have a cell phone just a answering machine hooked up to my home phone.

Glad I’m not the only one with a landline. Still have mine with an “upgraded” memory answering machine versus the miniature tapes. ;)

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Started with Lincolns at 7. Cleaned steel pennies with Ivory Soap and water. Restarted with high grade Lincolns in plastic at 35. Stopped when some started turning [ugly] brown.
    Loupe. No scope.
    Slide rule in high school, long since forgotten.
    iPhone since iPhone 3.
    No land line.
    High quality camera in the cell phone? Love it - not an ounce of old school when it comes to coin images.
    Love that the cell phone provides me instant access to information.
    Grateful to have a B&M less than a mile from the house, but one can only view the same inventory so many times.
    If we had shows, I'd go to them. We don't, so I don't.
    I really liked Teletrade, and now I like Great Collections. Their turnover is exponentially higher than my nearby B&M, and does not make me want for a show.
    Credit card, but the green one that makes you pay up every month.
    Still get cable (ask, it's now considered old school).
    I still have an 8 track, cassette player, turntable and speakers with real wood.
    I like the TV DVR tho, start watching 15-30 minutes late and fast forward thru the commercials. How come we didn't think of this in the 70's?
    I still respect the President's Office no matter who's sitting in it.
    I still grow a garden each year.
    I love to mow the grass - great think time. Have solved many of the world's problems mowing grass.
    Still buy more raw coins than slabs. I look at my raw coins WAY more than my slabs.
    I still think $20 is a lot of money.

I'm old school, but when it suits me I’m not. 😂

Cool thread.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options

Hey look, I have its cousin ...

Tommy

• Options
    edited January 22, 2020 12:42PM

@JeffersonFrog said:
    Hey look, I have its cousin ...

Very cool! Nice. B)B)B) I'm gonna guess, the oldest 8 track you have pictured is the "Seal's and Croft"? I think, 1972
    Hey look, It's SOLID STATE too! LOL

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Davideo said:

@Smudge said:
    I used to hot brand cattle working for my grandpa on his farm. Branding iron cowboy style. Wish I still had that branding iron. That was old school even then but grandpa was old fashion.

Is that old school? I live in Western Wyoming and as far as I know that's how all the ranchers here do it. It's been a few years, but I've helped with my share of brandings.

In South Carolina it is indeed. It’s been ear tags for a very long time.

• Options

Sounds like a song! Lol

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a cell phone, but rarely use it. I prefer talking on a land line. Besides if I dropped Phone from my bundle my Mediacom bill would actually go up. I have NO need for a smart phone. We just got a new car 2018 that has built in GPS and Serius that is voice activated……...LOVE that!

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

We sold our old house back about 10 years ago - one thing I loved about the house was we had hard-wired rotary dial phones that were the original Ma Bell phones installed when the house was built in 1933. When the power croaked so did everything else but those phones in the cellar being wired they still worked in power outages unlike everything else. Kids were clueless as to using them but I remember a few times using them when the modern phones crapped out.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJandTundra said:

@ike126 said:

Ahh yes no remote same here with a 98 Grand marquis aka the boat.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a Samsung Note. Hardly ever need a loupe. The phone magnifies & picks up colors & detail much better than my eye. Photos are better than many auction houses. Thankfully!

If you get a chance, check one out. Outstanding.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being an old infantryman, navigation was key to a long life when near the Demilitarized Zone or moving around minefields at night, etc.

People, old and young, look at me like I am some sort of Strange Life Form that I can navigate using the stars, sun, moon, trees, and water.

Then try to explain true north, grid north, steller north, magnetic north, even solar north, and their heads explode.

• Options

@joeykoins said:

@BJandTundra said:
    My first phone was a crank on the side of the wooden box, which woke up the Operator across town, to whom you told what number you wanted to talk to. She then plugged a wire in a hole in a big board to connect your call. Really old school.

Like these?

LOL

Home town was a slightly smaller facility, but...YES.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJandTundra said:

Sounds like the one used on the Andy Griffith Show when Andy or Barney would ask Sara the operator to connect them to a house.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@BJandTundra said:

Sounds like the one used on the Andy Griffith Show when Andy or Barney would ask Sara the operator to connect them to a house.

I believe Andy had the wall phone version. The one in our house was more of a desk model, but you still had to crank it.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 24, 2020 2:08PM

@joeykoins said:
    Sounds like a song! Lol

How 'bout this? (apologies to Bob Seger and Tom Cruise):

Gimme that old-time Mint-sealed roll
    The kind that coin collectors all extol!
    Today's plastic tubes ain't got the same soul
    Gimme that old time Mint-sealed roll!

(I tried this out in my underpants in the living room in front of my wife.

She said it needs smoe work :(.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BJandTundra said:

@ike126 said:

How about this novel idea:

A crank to open up a car window.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I switched over to using a hand (Texas Instruments?) calculator when I was in the 11th grade. My dad was an electrical engineer and had a beautifully made slide rule. I wish I had it now.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    I switched over to using a hand (Texas Instruments?) calculator when I was in the 11th grade. My dad was an electrical engineer and had a beautifully made slide rule. I wish I had it now.

@Sonorandesertrat said:

The first affordable scientific calculator was the Texas Instrument SR50. It was still fairly expensive compared to what's available today.

• Options

1979, HP 41C calculator killed my slide rule career.
    I recall that thing cost nearly $200. Rent for the whole semester was only $300! 😂😂

Tommy

• Options

@JeffersonFrog said:
    1979, HP 41C calculator killed my slide rule career.
    I recall that thing cost nearly $200. Rent for the whole semester was only $300! 😂😂

I remember the first scientific calculator from HP was the HP35 and was about $350 which was a lot of money at that time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file