Home U.S. Coin Forum

Old School, are you really?

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 22, 2020 7:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guy's, My topic, about "Old School". Anyone out there portrays themselves to really being old school? Not only in the Hobby but in other areas. Are there any of you members still only using a Loupe and not any scope of some sort? Do any of you guy's never frequent any coin shows and just go to the old B+M shops? or how'bout only collect Lincoln Cents, like when you were a little kid? Speaking for myself, I do have a scope, I do go to coin shows and I don't only collect Lincolns. But in saying those things, I bet that nobody is as "Old School" as me when it comes to what I'm about to post! I'm 62 years old, just yesterday, I finally pulled the trigger and bought an "Android Phone"! Yes, I finally stop using the old dinosaur "FLIP PHONE". Go ahead, laugh all you want. LOL
No one was more surprised than my 30 year old daughter. She could not believe it. I kept using a flip mainly because of the expense but also I didn't want to get caught up in this contraption like the rest of the world does. I can honestly say though, I do enjoy the storage and going to different websites. Also, the picture taking is more vibrant. You got to remember, my old phone didn't even have the internet. Oh well, now I don't have to hide my phone while using it in the public.LOL
B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020 12:34PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Old School Photographer here.

Burned thru 100,000 sheets of 4x5 film in a view camera.

Those learned skills are paying off in the coin market :)

WoW! Yeah, since this new phone came out years ago, I can imagine how the Camera business took a hit. Except for old school users like you, of course. Cool! B)

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020 12:35PM

Had the flip phone until about 3 years ago, then the wife got tired of me flipping up the phone everytime I answered it and she got me a walmart smart phone. Boy am I uptown now! Internet and everything!

Ken

@cladking said:
    I still used a rotary two years ago.

I was educated like someone from the 1890's but have since regressed to a far far earlier perspective. B)

In saying that, I do still have a land line phone. Also, my wife still has a Flip! :/

@cladking said:

I was educated like someone from the 1890's but have since regressed to a far far earlier perspective. B)

Will even kids born in the 2000's know what a "rotary phone" is?

Ken
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Old School Photographer here.

Burned thru 100,000 sheets of 4x5 film in a view camera.

Those learned skills are paying off in the coin market :)

WoW! Yeah, since this new phone came out years ago, I can imagine how the Camera business took a hit. Except for old school users like you, of course. Cool! B)

Corporations killed the photo business before the iPhone came out. The iPhone was the last nail in the coffin.

I was forced to become a coin dealer :o

@bearcave said:

@cladking said:

Check out YouTube on kids today trying to use a rotary.

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am 63. I do not own a scope (but have thought about buying one). I very much prefer printed books and auction catalogs to ones available via the internet. I have an android phone, but do not use it for anything besides phone calls or texting people whom I know. I do not go to B&M shops anymore either--total waste of my time. I still have my Hasselblad camera, mostly for sentimental reasons (don't use it anymore). In addition to coins, I have antique coin balances and 19th-century counterfeit coin detectors. These are more interesting to me than modern crap. :p

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • AlanLastufkaAlanLastufka Posts: 188 ✭✭✭✭

I got my first cell phone EVER just a year ago. I'm 36 years old. All of my peers were stunned, but I'm home 95% of the time so I paid $3/month for a VoIP (voice over IP) phone line and that was it. Finally broke down because too many cool apps and games were coming out and Google Fi came about, which only charges you for the data you actually use, which is darn near zero for me every month because I just use wifi at home. It's great, a cool new smart phone (Google Pixel 3 XL) at an "old school" price on my bill!

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flip phone here and don’t want that. Only for emergencies. Retired film photographer. Had to shoot digital for the last few years and hated it.

@Smudge said:
    Flip phone here and don’t want that. Only for emergencies. Retired film photographer. Had to shoot digital for the last few years and hated it.

I went from 4x5 film to high-end digital.

Digital blows away film big time, way higher quality.

Thanks guy's for replying! Do you want to know the REAL reason I pulled the trigger? Here it is; My wife and I recently bought a brand new car. Guess what? Talk about old school dying out. The darn car didn't have a CD Player. This I foolishly found out when we got home. Boy'boy, my brain is shot! Also, the brand new car didn't have a Remote Start on the key chain like my previous new car had. So we went back and talked to the salesman about it. He explained, if we would purchase a normal phone(he didn't say that, but he was probably thinking it) we can play songs connected from the new phone,as well as, start the car from ANYWHERE. That sold us. I had been thinking lately about buying a normal phone anyway. So this was meant to be. Still amazed about the remote start aspect. Achievable from another state. WOW! B)

Last year, I bought an expensive low mileage used 4x4 that came with a tape deck :o:o:o

@joeykoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Last year, I bought an expensive low mileage used 4x4 that came with a tape deck :o:o:o

An 8-track or Cassette? :D

LOL, a cassette but I still said WTF?

Actually, it is a CD / Cassette player.

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a flip phone, actually 2 of them, and would like a smartphone, but my one flip costs me only $20 every three months, and the other has 600+ "service days" on it before I need to buy more time. Once I retire I plan on a better phone for traveling.

Gonna ask the same thing! I still have my old truck where I had an 8 track in it first and then I went to a cassette player! They have come a long ways on cars. We have a new one and it even dies at a stop sign if you set there very long. :#

@joeykoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

An 8-track or Cassette? :D

Ken
    edited January 21, 2020 1:11PM

I still have an old 13 inch TV with a built-in VHS player. Pretty cool, it still works fine. I check out my old VHS tapes every now and then. Lately, meaning to convert all my VHS to DVD's. Only problem, much costly to do.
    Maybe later, I'll take a picture of it and show you guy's. Using my newly purchased telephone. Do kids know the word, "Telephone"?LOL :*

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the most part, I’m new school all the way. Always have been. But I’m old school when it comes to preserving rural areas and ways of life.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

in the realm of Phone communication I am probably as "Old School" as they get. I have never owned a Cell Phone and don't anticipate ever owning one. I have a Rotary Phone stored in the basement simply because technology no longer enables using them, that stopped around 2008. instead, I have an "Old School" cordless set-up with a digital answering machine.

it works just fine, thank you. B)

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, for today as I just left my B&M “old school” dealer, now an ounce of Pd lighter.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old school here. I have a flip phone. Time to saddle up my mule and go to town and get some supplies.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes im old school and who needs slabs. Learn to grade

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real old school
    Cleaned coins with an eraser!!
    Yea the good old days gas 25 cents a gallon
    Drag racing on the street, drive in’s
    Girl on roller skates
    No money left for coins
    Only for chasing skirts and car!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

I grade by brown and Dunn standards.

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020 3:34PM

As I think about it, I guess I'm really old school when it comes to my collectables. I like old cars, old coins and old guns... While I have new ones too, the old ones are my treasures. If the car or gun isn't at least 50 years old I don't consider it a collectable. With some exceptions, coins need to be ~100+ years old to be desirable. About the only coins I collect that are less than 50 years old are ASE's.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

hey DoubleEagles, are we related?? I have no cell phone, no CC's(unless a debit card counts) and prefer cash and checks, just shoveled six inches yesterday, used to walk when when I golfed and haven't flown since 1979 when I was serving Our Uncle. I opted for the 26 hour GreyHound trip when I went to FUN.

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeyCoins I honestly thought you were under 20 years old from your posts LOL.

@hchcoin said:
    @JoeyCoins I honestly thought you were under 20 years old from your posts LOL.

LOL No, I'm really old(school). Thanks for the compliment, I think? :/

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    hey DoubleEagles, are we related?? I have no cell phone, no CC's(unless a debit card counts) and prefer cash and checks, just shoveled six inches yesterday, used to walk when when I golfed and haven't flown since 1979 when I was serving Our Uncle. I opted for the 26 hour GreyHound trip when I went to FUN.

We must be related!

Does your wife give you a hard time because you won't fly? (maybe that's why I'm golfing everyday!!)

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

@bearcave said:

@cladking said:

Check out YouTube on kids today trying to use a rotary.

https://youtu.be/hp3chqqrWzE

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OKbustchaser said:
    I'm old school. Yes, I still use a loupe rather than a scope. I do frequent coin shows, but I have been since 1963. I don't collect Lincoln cents, but I didn't as a kid, either. As for cell phones, I don't own one--never have. My employer insists that I carry an I-phone, so I do...but the biggest part of the time it's turned off.

I don't want to be reachable 24/7.

Easy to manage.
    My voice mail greeting is:

Hi. Do NOT leave a message. Use my home phone.
    If you don't have that, don't do a thing.

But only on the stupid cell phone that I only use for emergencies or the Bluetooth in the car.

:):):)

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

I joined the PCGS forum almost 20 years ago. And I lurked for a while before that. That probably just makes me old.

Actually, everyone using a message board nowadays is probably old school.

You can certainly say that again! Good for her. Our elders always are good examples.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2020 6:56PM

@OKbustchaser said:
    I'm old school. Yes, I still use a loupe rather than a scope. I do frequent coin shows, but I have been since 1963. I don't collect Lincoln cents, but I didn't as a kid, either. As for cell phones, I don't own one--never have. My employer insists that I carry an I-phone, so I do...but the biggest part of the time it's turned off.

I don't want to be reachable 24/7.

This is about the same thing I can say. I have a scope, but prefer the loupe. My family forced a cell phone on me. It's STILL a flipper. Coin shops are my thing. I sold my Lincoln Cent collection and focus my collecting on Buffalo Nickels.

Yes. BUFFALO. Not Bison.

And all my 1916-1945 Dimes are called MERCURY.

Peace and Love my groovy roomies.

Far out!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@divecchia said:
    I am not completely old school. I am old school in some things, but not others. I've had an iPhone since they first came out and a computer since 1979, but I have no driver's license and no car. I walk to work and take public transportation when necessary. I do have debit and credit cards, but rarely use them.

Now if you want real old school, I would have to introduce you to my mother. She has been in the USA (from Italy) for just over 50 years now and has had the same landline phone number since 1969. She has no cell phone, no computer, no credit cards and has never had a driver's license or a car in her ENTIRE life. EVERYTHING is cash only and walking or using public transportation. She is going to be 81 this year and she walks 3/4 of a mile one way to the grocery store and does her shopping, puts it in her push/pull cart and walks it home every week!!! That to me is old school.

Donato

I know where Donato lives, I grew up only a few miles away............great for you and your family @divecchia
    My mother is 91, lives close to Boston [by her self].
    There is something to be said for "OLD SCHOOL" living :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am bifurcated old school new school.

I have a 1930 Model A Ford that I bought in 1969. How many here have the same car for 50 years. (Also have a 1968 Shelby and a 2013 F20 for normal activities).

But, I have close to the latest IPHONE. It pays for itself over and over. For example, a few months ago, it pinged me while I was at lunch about a stock I track, and had set a notification on, and I bought while at the lunch table, and by the time I got home, it had bounced back up, and sold it that week for a $5K profit.

I use if all the time at shows to check current prices, find out what I do not know, etc.

I get free stuff on the apps. It tracks my exercise, and I use the maps all the time. Even stupid stuff like having a level app on the phone today while helping a neighbor with a fence meant not having to go get a level.

I resisted it for some time, but once I got the IPHONE I kicked myself for all the wasted opportunities.

I am ruthless on appliances, and have pulled out "perfectly good" AC units for a significant SEER upgrade. My rule of thumb is a 2 year payout (I am in Dallas and it is hot). I pass the working, but less efficient units on to people who need to upgrade a dog of a unit and don't have the $$.

Minor victory: This year, the last incandescent Christmas light went away (a stupid single bulb in a manger scene). All LED and SWMBO ran them a lot since the energy drain is so low. No real tree as she is spooked about them, as her co-worker years ago, with children the same age as ours, died with her children in a Christmas tree fire.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in 1992 I finally updated my Grandmothers/Uncles old black rotary style phone for them. The phone was so old it had 2 letters preceding the digits on the round dial face insert. When I returned the antique to the telephone store for a credit, the young clerk said she had never seen one before in the flesh.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

How many here remember party lines and having to dial BR3-0000?

I do!

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Back in 1992 I finally updated my Grandmothers/Uncles old black rotary style phone for them. The phone was so old it had 2 letters preceding the digits on the round dial face insert. When I returned the antique to the telephone store for a credit, the young clerk said she had never seen one before in the flesh.

Ken
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to hot brand cattle working for my grandpa on his farm. Branding iron cowboy style. Wish I still had that branding iron. That was old school even then but grandpa was old fashion.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still have my flip phone...somewhere...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file