Home Precious Metals

Tesla at $550...what does it tell you about the car market, the equities market, the bond market...

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

...and the economy in general?

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

$ available for all kinds of “hobbies”

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2020 8:04AM

I always figured that it was better to have no P/E than a three or 4 digit P/E.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2020 9:26AM

clearly defines irrational exuberance.

The next Boeing 737 Max.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very little. What it DOES tell me is this: There is a TON of short covering underway. A TON!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

It tells me, once again, I missed the boat on this one. :(

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am rooting for my space buddy Elon even though I only own a few shares in a mutual fund. The economy is on a Trump roll. Corporate Tax Cut, Repatriation of corporate Billions, Cutting Obama Era over reach regulations and most important "The Global slow down" makes our currency strong and our equities rise even with Trillions in unfunded debt.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2020 8:34PM

Sounds like either the smart money believes electric vehicles are the future or the equity market is an overinflated pig.

Edit: Forgot to add the "Trump roll" Bankrupted everything he touched, looking like America will be no different.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Sounds like either the smart money believes electric vehicles are the future or the equity market is an overinflated pig.

Edit: Forgot to add the "Trump roll" Bankrupted everything he touched, looking like America will be no different.

InnodefenseofTrumpwhatsover,remember,Barrytookitfrom$10Tto$19T.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renman95 said:

Yup Barry was handed the previous clowns great recession. Gump was handed a booming economy. Some are born on 3rd and think they hit a triple.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

and about the precious metals market ???

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Piles of cash looking for something...anything that might do something big. Musk looks like the magician who will do magic yet again. Great place for a roll of the dice.

That seems to be where the market is right now.

edited January 14, 2020 9:40PM

edited January 15, 2020 10:45PM

Duh. . .thank the repo bailout since October. Repo bailout bubble in progress.

@blitzdude said:

@renman95 said:

Yup Barry was handed the previous clowns great recession. Gump was handed a booming economy. Some are born on 3rd and think they hit a triple.

youmakeitsoundlikebarryhadnoinputintothe$10trillionindebtexpansion.notoncedidbarryhaveasingleyearof-gdp-above3%,firsttimeinamericanhistory.sohedidnothandoveraboomingeconomy.ifanything,barrykeepthebrakesonaslongaspossible.

It all started with George Washington.

@renman95 said:

@blitzdude said:

@renman95 said:

youmakeitsoundlikebarryhadnoinputintothe$10trillionindebtexpansion.notoncedidbarryhaveasingleyearof-gdp-above3%,firsttimeinamericanhistory.sohedidnothandoveraboomingeconomy.ifanything,barrykeepthebrakesonaslongaspossible.

Do you know what GDP averaged under Obama and what it has averaged under Trump?

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

$23.18 trillion sure seems like a big number. So does $550 for a share of Tesla.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

@derryb said:
    It all started with George Washington.

He encourage Franklin to work on an electric car.

@cohodk said:

@renman95 said:

@blitzdude said:

@renman95 said:

Yes,i'veseenanywherefrom1.4%to2.1%dependingonstart/finish.Trump:2.7%,2.9%for2018,2019respectively.

@renman95 said:

@cohodk said:

@renman95 said:

@blitzdude said:

@renman95 said:

Yes,i'veseenanywherefrom1.4%to2.1%dependingonstart/finish.Trump:2.7%,2.9%for2018,2019respectively.

You probably should do more research. Did you know Obama had a 5.5% quarter? And no it wasnt just after the 2009 bottom.

When all is said and done, GDP growth will be very similar, even though Trump will have run much higher deficits.

@cohodk said:

@renman95 said:

@cohodk said:

@renman95 said:

@blitzdude said:

@renman95 said:

You probably should do more research. Did you know Obama had a 5.5% quarter? And no it wasnt just after the 2009 bottom.

When all is said and done, GDP growth will be very similar, even though Trump will have run much higher deficits.

why?yes.so?barrystillhadthelowestaverage-gdp-,overaneightyearpresidency,ever.hooray-yippeeforhis5.5%quarter.itdidn'tamounttomuch.trumpisnobetterthanobamawhenitcomestodeficits.hesaidhe'dlowerthemlikecomradebarrysaidhewouldin2008.liars,bothofthem.

I think Adam gummed up his keyboard. Or maybe it was hummus.

@Coinstartled said:
    I think Adam gummed up his keyboard. Or maybe it was hummus.

Given his profession, its most likely the long term effects of excessive exposure to cosmic rays.

edited January 17, 2020 10:15PM

GDP is an historical artifact from an industrial economy that doesn’t really serve its purpose anymore, at least in the US.

We mistakenly expect GDP to measure what it no longer can: "manufacturing is still 35% of GDP, but fewer than 9% of US workers are actually involved in that manufacturing."

GDP says there's no recession. . . to those who fail to see it's weakened value in determining the true strength/weakness of an economy. It's like using hoolahoop sales to determine growth.

@PerryHall said:

@renman95 said:

@cohodk said:

@renman95 said:

@cohodk said:

@renman95 said:

@blitzdude said:

@renman95 said:

why?yes.so?barrystillhadthelowestaverage-gdp-,overaneightyearpresidency,ever.hooray-yippeeforhis5.5%quarter.itdidn'tamounttomuch.trumpisnobetterthanobamawhenitcomestodeficits.hesaidhe'dlowerthemlikecomradebarrysaidhewouldin2008.liars,bothofthem.

Are you trying to be cute and clever? I'm not going to waste my time trying to read this. Try using the space key between words next time.

I'm
    neither
    cute
    nor
    clever.
    My
    spacebar
    is
    jammed.
    Lighten
    up
    WinterGarden
    ;-)

Don't worry Perry..
    Led the Munchkin jeer..
    As with the Witch of the West..
    Renski has no power here.

Slipper Shave!

@derryb said:
    GDP is an historical artifact from an industrial economy that doesn’t really serve its purpose anymore, at least in the US.

We mistakenly expect GDP to measure what it no longer can: "manufacturing is still 35% of GDP, but fewer than 9% of US workers are actually involved in that manufacturing."

GDP says there's no recession. . . to those who fail to see it's weakened value in determining the true strength/weakness of an economy. It's like using hoolahoop sales to determine growth.

So if GDP only measures a minority interest of the economy, it is quite possible that it underestimates growth.

Your question was answered in what I said. Pay attention.

@derryb said:
    Your question was answered in what I said. Pay attention.

Oh hear ya Mr. Gloom and Doom. Your "weakened" words. Just making sure you got your eyes open.

edited January 18, 2020 6:18AM

One more time Mr. Sunshine: "it's weakened value in determining the true strength/weakness of an economy."

@derryb said:
    One more time Mr. Sunshine: "it's weakened value in determining the true strength/weakness of an economy."

So just understand which is more likely. Eyes open!!

Cohodk and Derryb
    Should be much more lighthearted.
    They chase each other ‘round the tree
    And end up where they started. ;)

Burma Shave

edited January 18, 2020 2:20PM

The long and winding road..
    Far from urban sprawl..
    Can be a daunting trip..
    With a car, a plug, and no wall.

Burma Shave

If people will their money spend
    And heed not the PM Boards,
    They’ll soon have naught but their Depends
    As their finance rewards.

Burma Shave

Working hard and investing well..
    Is a path to riches, kiddo..
    But retire early and have some fun..
    Or you'll leave a wealthy widow.

Tahiti Shave

It is against decorum..
    To double post a Shave..
    But as a 10,000th entry..
    The checkered flag we wave!

Burma Shave!

@Coinstartled said:
    Don't worry Perry..
    Led the Munchkin jeer..
    As with the Witch of the West..
    Renski has no power here.

Slipper Shave!

Coinstarlet,-really?
    A-mod-you-are-not
    Behind-the-curtain
    You-qiver-with-fraught

Borrow-smoe-courage
    Use-your-brain
    Have-a-heart
    No-time-to-feign

You-can-run
    But-you-cannot-hide
    Apologize-to-my-Ohana
    For-damage-you-applied

Be-a-mensch
    And-let-this-end
    Just-simply-say...
    I'm-sorry-Ren

Burma-Shave!

At least at CU..
    We have a quorum..
    What you need though..
    Is a whiners forum!

Space Bar Shave!

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen a purple cow
    I never hope to see one
    But just the same
    I'd rather see a purple cow
    than be one.

That's all I got...

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:
    It tells me, once again, I missed the boat on this one. :(

At least your honest which will serve you in your investing endeavors in the future

@jmski52 said:
    $23.18 trillion sure seems like a big number. So does $550 for a share of Tesla.

I tend to agree.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

it all tells me to keep dancing.

edited January 27, 2020 9:51AM

Tesla investors are like Dems and Pubs now. Either people believe that Tesla is the New Apple and will take over the world of electric cars and trucks, or that this is a bubble extraordinaire, that the value underpinnings are just not there and won't ever be, and are shorting the stock like crazy. There seems to be no middle ground.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOVE my car, hate the stock (and if I had any I'd be selling).

And it is kind of like driving a smart phone--well switching from my flip phone to an iPhone the first time, but here I went from being a manual transmission snob to driving a single gear. A serious mind shift that goes pretty easily actually.

Then again, there were times Amazon looked like this. And, if for some reason, the other companies decide it's easier to license an adapter for the Superchargers instead of trying to build out a second network, there might be some good money involved. Shoot if Volkswagen goes that route it would be kind of genius seeing as they are going pretty much all in for electric too. THAT would be an interesting partnership.

In any case, it is entertaining to watch. I mean that dang truck was fabulous marketing move. He basically just monetized his R&D department right then. And if he'd called it the 'cyber vehicle' instead of a 'cyber truck' it might have been even more cool. Truck has a fairly standard mental picture associated and 'vehicle' would have made it a more flexible concept. Not sure I want one, but I'd take the model Y in a heartbeat.

@Coinstartled said:
    At least at CU..
    We have a quorum..
    What you need though..
    Is a whiners forum!

Space Bar Shave!

Smoe irony. o:)

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 4:31PM

and 15 days later this stock has gone up another $100. It just touched $649 in after hours. Up $66 after it reported. This hasn’t been the easiest stock to hold but.........This is a such a pure technology play. The car part is only part of the story.

I just bought my first all electric vehicle ( not a Tesla) and It’s the best car decision Ive ever made. The torque is mind bending.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited January 29, 2020 8:20PM

@Justacommeman said:

I just bought my first all electric vehicle ( not a Tesla) and It’s the best car decision Ive ever made. The torque is mind bending.

m

Does the whole car twist and rumble when you step on the accelerator?

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2020 9:06PM

@cohodk said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Does the whole car twist and rumble when you step on the accelerator?

Nope. The front end raises up a few inches in silence simultaneously as you stomp on the accelerator as it hurtles 0-60 in about 4.4 seconds. Maybe faster. My wife claims whiplash. I claim awesomeness and neck braces are underrated. A literal blast to drive. Two motors.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • The robots will be building new robots and factories for them to work in and thy will make solar panels and batteries to power the robots and the factories. 10010010101011101010010001001010100101011101001001001010010001001

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.