Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going to do another box of 1989 Donruss while I have all my piles out...

• Options

Six seems to be the number with Donruss today. I managed to find another 6 candidates for PSA 10 in this box too. Unfortunately no major star power, unless you are a massive Tim Raines fan. First, here are the ones that don’t make the grade...

There were 3 Sheffield RCs in this round...

Here are the 6 contenders...

• Options

Time to shift to 1989 Fleer...

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Awesome! I opened up a ton of 1989 Donruss. Hard to believe that was 30 years ago.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Time to shift to 1989 Fleer...

Are you able to tell if any of your boxes are the FF versions?

• Options

This was a good break condition wise. Fleer is much easier to find in GEM MINT, since it mostly comes down to centering and print flaw challenges. Edges and corners are usually pretty clean coming out of the pack. Here are the ones that didn’t make the cut...

Pulled these key cards, but none made the grade for PSA 10 candidacy...

Here are the 19 candidates for PSA 10, headlined by a second year Tom Glavine...

• Options

@SumoMenkoMan said:

Yes. The boxes I am opening now all come from a corrected print run case code of 90631, meaning March 4th, 1989. I have some cases with the FF error, but am keeping those sealed for now 😉 Thanks for continuing to follow the thread and comment along the way!

• Options

Here goes one more box of 1989 Fleer. I love days like this when I have time to rip!

• Options

Less high grade love in this box. Here are the piles that continue to build of non GEM MINT cards...

Pulled these six key cards, but none were worthy...

These are the 6 that have a strong shot at PSA 10...

• Options

Let’s move to a 1988 Fleer box...

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@SumoMenkoMan said:

Yes. The boxes I am opening now all come from a corrected print run case code of 90631, meaning March 4th, 1989. I have some cases with the FF error, but am keeping those sealed for now 😉 Thanks for continuing to follow the thread and comment along the way!

Awesome. I know there are several variations of the FF corrected version as well. Also, are working on master sets in PSA 10? I know the 1980s had a good amount of errors and corrections.

• Options

Always a fun rip, but not the most productive box of 1988 Fleer. Here were the ones that missed the grade and continue to pile up...

None of the big three made the grade...

These were the 4 candidates for PSA 10 out of this box. I always forget what a great pitcher David Cone was...

• Options

@SumoMenkoMan said:

Awesome. I know there are several variations of the FF corrected versiosn as well. Also, are working on master sets in PSA 10? I know the 1980s had a good amount of errors and corrections.

I don’t have a goal of master sets inclusive of all variations, but as I rip the boxes I am keeping all variants for submission in PSA 10. Some of the 1980’s errors can be really tricky and I am not sure I have first issued cases from each year. Love the challenge though!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

These were the 4 candidates for PSA 10 out of this box. I always forget what a great pitcher David Cone was...

It's amusing to see a player with a glove listed as "Designated Hitter". Never noticed that Smalley card before.

• Options

@daltex said:

It's amusing to see a player with a glove listed as "Designated Hitter". Never noticed that Smalley card before.

That is rather ironic...I never would have noticed that. Nice catch! It looks like a spring training photo given the advertising on the fence behind him. Roy must have had glimmers of hope as an infielder, only to be dashed by the start of the season.

• Options

Time for Dan’s favorite throwback 1960’s-esque design...

• Options

That was a pretty good box from a condition standpoint. I found 15 candidates for PSA 10. Here are the piles that don’t make the grade...

No Glavine RC in this box, but here are the 15 beauties that I found...

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2019 8:54AM

WOW Jim Gott again. That's the one I sent you maybe 6 months back LOL
    I remember that one was oozing with gloss/sheen
    Will be interested in how this one compares

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@daltex said:

That is rather ironic...I never would have noticed that. Nice catch! It looks like a spring training photo given the advertising on the fence behind him. Roy must have had glimmers of hope as an infielder, only to be dashed by the start of the season.

Oddly, for years before this, Smalley was a multi-position player on cards, like "2B, SS, 3B, OF" and stuff like that. I know because my favorite thing to do as a kid was to shuffle my cards and deal them out and make teams. A player with several listed positions on the card was always valuable. :)

• Options
    edited December 31, 2019 9:34AM

@softparade said:
    WOW Jim Gott again. That's the one I sent you maybe 6 months back LOL
    I remember that one was oozing with gloss/sheen
    Will be interested in how this one compares

I think your’s has the edge based on the superior gloss, Dan. This one is crazy clean too though. Thanks again for sending the original Gott to me!

@Vaultdweller said:

Oddly, for years before this, Smalley was a multi-position player on cards, like "2B, SS, 3B, OF" and stuff like that. I know because my favorite thing to do as a kid was to shuffle my cards and deal them out and make teams. A player with several listed positions on the card was always valuable. :)

Now that is an idea for all the commons I keep recycling! We could have card wars with the board members here...winner takes all the Roy Smalley’s 🤣🤣 Thanks for sharing. Love flashbacks like this.

• Options

Here goes another box of 1989 Donruss...

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2020 6:56AM

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@daltex said:

A note about Smalley--According to Baeball-reference.com Mr. Smalley's last year playing was 1987. This makes me wonder if the picture was taken in the spring of '88 or if they used a picture from a previous spring training. Or maybe he gave it a shot in the spring of "88 and then decided to hang it up? In 13 big league seasons he played 272 games at DH and 1069 games at Shortstop with a career fielding percentage at SS of .966. He also played 3B, 2B, 1B and one game at Catcher. Just for comparison Oziie Smith's career fielding percentage was .978. So for every 1000 chances Smalley made just 12 more errors than Ozzie.
    His Dad was Roy Smalley, Jr. He played several years in the majors (1948-1958). He actually has a 1954 Topps Card!
    I enjoy following this thread...

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

I like when this thread creates fun topics and research about the less covered guys of the 1980s. Great add Dennis...thanks!

This was a tough box of 1989 Donruss when it came to condition. There were zero candidates for perfection in the entire box! I did pull these key cards though...

• Options

Let’s try these 1989 Topps Traded sets and see if our Griffey luck changes...

• Options

@dennis07 said:
    A note about Smalley--According to Baeball-reference.com Mr. Smalley's last year playing was 1987. This makes me wonder if the picture was taken in the spring of '88 or if they used a picture from a previous spring training. Or maybe he gave it a shot in the spring of "88 and then decided to hang it up? In 13 big league seasons he played 272 games at DH and 1069 games at Shortstop with a career fielding percentage at SS of .966. He also played 3B, 2B, 1B and one game at Catcher. Just for comparison Oziie Smith's career fielding percentage was .978. So for every 1000 chances Smalley made just 12 more errors than Ozzie.
    His Dad was Roy Smalley, Jr. He played several years in the majors (1948-1958). He actually has a 1954 Topps Card!

Smalley was in camp with the White Sox in '88 but was released after they apparently failed to work out a deal to send him back to the Yankees. He retired in April.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dennis07 said:

By 1988 they were releasing cards by January, if not in time for Christmas. I submit that only in the Traded/Update/Rookies sets would you find a picture from spring training.

• Options

These two 1989 Topps Traded sets were a much better start to the new year! First, here are the stars and rookies that didn’t make the grade...

Not sure I could have been more fortunate on the 8 candidates for PSA 10. The Griffey’s are the obvious hits. I am equally excited about the Jim Abbott, since I was a huge fan back in the day...

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭

BINGO! Nice hits. Such a huge fan of the latter part of the decade as they were my collecting golden years. I would love to know the count of how many of those boxes I ripped back in the day. So many 87-89, but by 89 I was full bore.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ewwwwww Willie Randolph in a Dodger uniform lol.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

Let’s keep the new year high-grade star luck going with a box of 1988 Topps...

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Six seems to be the number with Donruss today. I managed to find another 6 candidates for PSA 10 in this box too. Unfortunately no major star power, unless you are a massive Tim Raines fan. First, here are the ones that don’t make the grade...

There were 3 Sheffield RCs in this round...

Here are the 6 contenders...

For centering on the 1989 Donruss, do you look for the bottom border to be the same as the 2 sides, or do you look for the bottom to be the same as the top? There are many sets out there that seem to have 3 borders, so never sure whether PSA wants those 3 to be the same, or if it always opposite sides should be the same?

The Raines top seems to be more than the bottom, which led me to question whether you look for the bottom to be the same as the sides, which in this case it seems to...

• Options

This 1988 box had some serious star power in PSA 10 condition. More on those in a moment, but first the growing piles that don’t make the perfect grade...

This Glavine missed the mark too...

Take a look at the names that accompany these 13 contenders for PSA 10!

• Options

@Kep13 said:

For centering on the 1989 Donruss, do you look for the bottom border to be the same as the 2 sides, or do you look for the bottom to be the same as the top? There are many sets out there that seem to have 3 borders, so never sure whether PSA wants those 3 to be the same, or if it always opposite sides should be the same?

The Raines top seems to be more than the bottom, which led me to question whether you look for the bottom to be the same as the sides, which in this case it seems to...

Great question. I have seen PSA 10s with a full range of T/B centering across the two dimensions you call out. I tend to look for the color bottom border to be equal width as the top border space between the top edge and the players name. I believe this to be Donruss’ intent based on the sheet lines I have seen for miscut cards. I think PSA gives some leeway for this issue, since both look okay aesthetically.

• Options

A 1988 Fleer box is up next...

• Options
    edited January 4, 2020 8:19AM

This set boasts some great photography. I personally like the Henderson, Strawberry and Eric Davis cards. Here are the stars and rookies that didn’t make the grade...

Pulled these key RCs...

Was happy to land these 13 contenders for PSA 10...

• Options
    jtala18jtala18 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

Great thread! Always loved that 88 Fleer Walt Weiss Rookie. Lots of fond memories from that set. Weiss was a great young player at the time and was ROY after Canseco and McGwire. I know His stuff is virtually worthless now but nostalgia value for me is very high. Keep on rippin for 10s!

• Options

Definitely a great follow up set to the epic 1987 Fleer.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    This set boasts some great photography. I personally like the Henderson, Strawberry and Eric Davis cards.

Agree. I'll add Mattingly, Burks and Maddux to this list! Classic capture of Mattingly finishing his swing. And for some reason the Burks has always been an eye-catcher.

Jeff

• Options

I’m feeling the call from 1986 Topps. 2020 is off to a good start and this set is a beast with the top black borders. Let’s see what we can find...

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 289 ✭✭✭✭

This is one of my favorite threads on here. Perhaps I missed it in the thread, but what do you do with the cards that don't make the grade?

• Options

@erba said:
    This is one of my favorite threads on here. Perhaps I missed it in the thread, but what do you do with the cards that don't make the grade?

Thanks for following this thread and commenting! I keep the stars and rookies that won’t grade PSA 10 in 3200 count storage boxes for the time being. I will eventually sell-off most of them whenever I find the time to list them. As for the non-PSA 10 commons, I send them all to recycling to help rid the world of over-produced 1980s cards and save some modern day trees 🤣

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

geez... I love that Steve Balboni card! Raw power...

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tulsaboy said:
    geez... I love that Steve Balboni card! Raw power...

A.K.A. Bye, Bye Balboni - A.K.A. Bonesy

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a fun one to have cracked. Killer box!!! WTG!

• Options

Let’s get this weekend started with some more ripping. I’m going to start with a couple of 1988 boxes, then some 1986-1989 Traded sets. After that, who knows...

Up first is a 1988 Topps box...

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Great thread. Those 86s are tough in racks, let alone in wax. Nice hits.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

Finally making some progress on this 1988 Topps set. This box had 13 more candidates in it, but first here are the stacks of the stars and rookies that keep piling up and didn’t make the cut...

Pulled this Glavine, but not a 10...

Here are the 13 candidates for PSA 10...

• Options

@ldferg said:
    Great thread. Those 86s are tough in racks, let alone in wax. Nice hits.

Thanks David! Yeah, that box was definitely and outlier for wax. It was the best luck I have had with 1986 Topps. Thanks for following the thread.

• Options

Up next is a 1988 Fleer box...