Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Do you see the prices increasing on 1980s unopened? Ripken FF black box makes an appearance.

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2019 4:39AM

@Kep13 said:
    star power is right...'twas a good box of '89 Fleer

Thanks Kep. This set is loaded with HOF RCs as well as tons of HOF

@SumoMenkoMan said:
    Do you see the prices increasing on 1980s unopened? Ripken FF black box makes an appearance.

It has been interesting to watch the 1980’s unopened market, since I began this journey nearly 2 years ago. The prices have steadily risen ~50%. Early Topps baseball boxes from 1981-1983 were plentiful and selling around $225/box. Today, they are selling closer to $325/box and a little harder to find. 1983-1986 Fleer has risen at a similar percentage, especially 1984 and 1985 given the relative scarcity versus other years of Fleer. Heck, even lowly 1988 and 1989 Donruss have shot up from $80 and $200 per case to $150 and $350 per case respectively.

I think there are 3 factors at play in the increase to 1980’s unopened over the past two years:

1) strong economy and low unemployment means people feel they have disposable income
    2) those who collected in the 1980s are in our earning prime and feeling nostalgic as our kids grow
    3) to a small extent, this thread is teaching people the true rarity of landing a PSA 10, even from a pack.

I think so long as the economy stays strong, we will continue to see a gradual rise in the prices of 1980’s unopened and PSA 10s from this era. Both have a lasting place in each of our hearts from the boom era of our childhood. If the economy holds, the nostalgia will continue to drive our generation another 20 years or so until we face our own mortality and our kids would rather have the cash 🤣

Thank you for all the comments along the way. I will continue to do my part to lower the unopened supply 😲 This continues to be a blast for me and luckily I still have plenty more to rip on this fun journey to build perfect sets! Happy Thanksgiving everyone...

• Options

Time for some lowly 1988 Topps. I haven’t ripped much of this to date (because this set sucks 🤣), so I need to start building this set in PSA 10 eventually. Here goes a wax box from a case I just cracked...

• Options

This set is very plain looking, but when you find a dead nuts PSA 10, you can really see what Topps was intending for this design. The majority of the cards from the pack come out OC or faded with print dots. However, when rich in color with 50/50 centering and razor edges and corners, this set is actually growing on me. The McGwire “rookie cup” is an iconic cards, despite being Topps third issue for him. Add in the box cover Mattingly and classic poses for Boggs, Clemens, Gooden and Strawberry...I think I am starting to appreciate 1988 Topps much more. Here are the ones that didn’t make the grade and continue to pile up from my breaks...

I pulled 10 contenders for GEM MINT. I love the look of this Boggs and particularly the McGwire RB image...

• Options

I’m in a Barry Bonds XRC mood next. Here come 2 more 1986 Topps Traded sets. So many iconic rookies in this set. Here’s hoping, since this set is a nightmare for condition with the black borders crammed into these tight boxes...

• Options

Such a great looking design. The black border presents a serious condition challenge however. Here are the key stars and rookies that didn’t make the cut...

Neither Bonds had the right centering. This Bo was so close if not for the typical chipping on the left black border...

Here was the lone PSA 10 contender out of the 264 untouched cards...

• Options

Up next is another box of 1988 Fleer from the case I broke...

• Options

I still get excited every time I find a Mark Grace RC. That was my childhood prospect I was certain would lead to my future wealth. Here are the stars and rookies that keep piling up...

Neither Grace nor Glavine made the grade...

I was happy to find 12 contenders for PSA 10 in this box. Here are the first 10 of them...

And check out the names on these last two contenders...

• Options

Time to get back to work! Another 1989 Donruss box...

• Options

This set continues to be a challenge when looking for perfection. Here were the stars and rookies that didn’t make the grade...

This Griffey is such an iconic card. Always fun to pull...

Was pretty happy to pull these 6 contenders, headlined by the Donnie Baseball...

• Options

Going back to some 1988 Topps next...

• Options

Best/worst design ever.

• Options

@SumoMenkoMan said:
    Best/worst design ever.

Couldn’t agree more! I actually am starting to like the look of the Record Breakers from this year though. When they are dead centered, they kind of pop. More on that in a moment. Here are the stars and rookies that continue to pile up...

I was happy to find these 18 contenders for PSA 10. The Ryan and McGwire RBs are insanely sharp looking when dead on. I also have fond memories of Kevin Elster as a “cant miss future star”...

• Options

The chase for perfect Griffey’s continues. Up next is a box of 1989 Fleer...

• Options

Here are the stars and rookies that didn’t make the grade and continue to stack up from my breaks...

None of the key cards were centered well enough for GEM MINT...

There were only 6 contenders for GEM MINT, but pretty happy that the Smoltz RC was among them...

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SumoMenkoMan said:
    Best/worst design ever.

‘88 Topps has a 60’s design flavor all over it. It’s an epic design. Too bad no anchor card or cards whatsoever

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭

Love these breaks! Right from the main part of my collecting experience as a kid. Some nice hits there for possible 10, particularly the Martinez and Smoltz.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

@NJ80sBBC said:
    Love these breaks! Right from the main part of my collecting experience as a kid. Some nice hits there for possible 10, particularly the Martinez and Smoltz.

John

Thanks John!

• Options

Let’s go back to the first half of the decade. I kinda feel like hunting for my first cardboard crush. Come on Mr. Strawberry...

• Options

I wasn’t able to go back and check, but do you periodically send these out for grading and tally what % you ultimately cumulate in PSA 10? Love following the adventure.

• Options

Sorry for the delay, the day got away from me. What a sweet rip on the 1983 Topps Traded set this morning! Here were the few rookies and stars that didn’t make the grade...

I managed to find 20 candidates for PSA 10 in this 132 card untouched set. Here were the first 19 of them...

And then...BOOM! The top/bottom centering is off just a touch, but within the needed 55/45 requirements. Every other aspect of this card is screaming Yahtzee to me...

• Options

@SumoMenkoMan said:
    I wasn’t able to go back and check, but do you periodically send these out for grading and tally what % you ultimately cumulate in PSA 10? Love following the adventure.

Thanks for the question. I have been holding them for one massive bulk sub with the intent of having each set consecutively serial numbered. This was my original intent, but it would require me having a complete set to submit first. Not sure if I will break down before and start subbing them in batches. For now, they are all sitting in stacks to be graded by their respective years. I am cool to have them in raw pristine shape for the time being. I will certainly update this thread when I decide to submit and of course share the results. I know they won’t all grade 10, but hopefully my extreme pickiness will help the vast majority of them land the coveted GEM MINT label.

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@SumoMenkoMan said:

Thanks for the question. I have been holding them for one massive bulk sub with the intent of having each set consecutively serial numbered. This was my original intent, but it would require me having a complete set to submit first. Not sure if I will break down before and start subbing them in batches. For now, they are all sitting in stacks to be graded by their respective years. I am cool to have them in raw pristine shape for the time being. I will certainly update this thread when I decide to submit and of course share the results. I know they won’t all grade 10, but hopefully my extreme pickiness will help the vast majority of them land the coveted GEM MINT label.

Awesome!!

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Best thread on the forums. Thanks for the flashback.

• Options
    edited December 15, 2019 6:03AM

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Sorry for the delay, the day got away from me. What a sweet rip on the 1983 Topps Traded set this morning! Here were the few rookies and stars that didn’t make the grade...

I managed to find 20 candidates for PSA 10 in this 132 card untouched set. Here were the first 19 of them...

And then...BOOM! The top/bottom centering is off just a touch, but within the needed 55/45 requirements. Every other aspect of this card is screaming Yahtzee to me...

Very very very similar centering to the ‘78 Topps Eddie Murray I pulled from a rack pack years ago. It sits in a PSA 9 holder as a high end nine. What’s the back look like?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

@SumoMenkoMan said:

Awesome!!

@Tomi said:
    Best thread on the forums. Thanks for the flashback.

Thanks guys!

@softparade said:

Very very very similar centering to the ‘78 Topps Eddie Murray I pulled from a rack pack years ago. It sits in a PSA 9 holder as a high end nine. What’s the back look like?

Yeah...it is right on the edge and likely a high end PSA 9. I will certainly sub it and hope for the best. The back is super clean...

• Options

Time to keep building the always popular 1988 Topps set in PSA 10 🤨

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@SumoMenkoMan said:

By the time you get around to subbing them, they will be $12 a card at bulk rate ;)

• Options

This set is really starting to grow on me. There is no major star power or rarity to this year and it is really only anchored by the Tom Glavine RC and a cool looking third year McGwire rookie cup card. However, when you find a dead nuts example from this set it really jumps out visually. Here are the stars and rookies that keep piling up...

The Glavine didn’t make the centering grade...

Check out the star power of these 10 candidates for PSA 10. The Clemens, Boggs and Murray RB simply jump out with vibrant colors...

• Options
    edited December 16, 2019 5:54PM

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    This set is really starting to grow on me. There is no major star power or rarity to this year and it is really only anchored by the Tom Glavine RC and a cool looking third year McGwire rookie cup card. However, when you find a dead nuts example from this set it really jumps out visually.

Couldn’t agree more and you know I’ve said it every time you rip these. The ‘88 Topps set has a 60’s Topps flavor and I love it. It’s dogged because of the many times mentioned before reasons...

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

You gotta love the massive airbrush job on the Rick Honeycutt, though. To build on what softparade said, that aspect has the 60's written all over it! :)
    kevin

• Options

Let the Christmas-break breaks begin! I finally have some time off to make a dent in the set building. I will be aggressively ripping the later half of the decade to make some progress against these guys, since the first year of this journey I primarily ripped the first half of the decade. No worries though, I will mix in some breaks from 1981-1985 too. It really is the most wonderful time of the year. Up first is a box of 1989 Donruss...

• Options

Wow these cards are frustrating when looking for PSA 10 candidates! They take a while to study and inevitably, you find something wrong with nearly everyone of them. Here are the stars and rookies that continue to pile up...

Pulled these key RCs, but none are grade worthy...

These 10 made my first cut as candidates for PSA 10, but I don’t love the L/R centering on Bonds. Nice star power in this group though...

This Griffey seemed so close, but the freaking chipping on the left edge keeps it from perfection. These cards are so condition sensitive!

• Options

Time for the slightly easier 1989 Fleer rip...

• Options

@jordangretzkyfan said:

This Griffey seemed so close, but the freaking chipping on the left edge keeps it from perfection. These cards are so condition sensitive!

Make chipping on the right side in a similar way and maybe the grader will think it's suppose to be like that :)

• Options

1989 Fleer come out much cleaner from the pack than do 1989 Donruss. This is a Griffey kind of start to the holiday as this box yielded two of Junior, which is uncommon for Fleer. First, here are the piles that don’t make the grade...

Pulled these six key cards, but none made the cut...

I was glad to land 27 contenders for PSA 10 in this box. Here are the first 26 of them, headlined by Eric the Red and Mr. Larkin...

You guessed the 27th contender. It never gets old pulling perfect examples of this card. I love this pic of the young Griffey with all the talent in the world...

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭

I love the 87-89 years as they were my primary, hard core collecting years. I fondly remember traveling by train to the shop in Great Kills Staten Island that had gotten the 88s in ahead of the other local stores. We didn’t even wait to get home to rip our prized packs. We all started in 1987 and were all trying to be the first to pull the All star Rookies and Future

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options

@NJ80sBBC said:
    I love the 87-89 years as they were my primary, hard core collecting years. I fondly remember traveling by train to the shop in Great Kills Staten Island that had gotten the 88s in ahead of the other local stores. We didn’t even wait to get home to rip our prized packs. We all started in 1987 and were all trying to be the first to pull the All star Rookies and Future

Thanks for sharing John! I love hearing memories like this. In your honor, up next is a fresh box of 1988 Fleer as we hunt for the rookies...

• Options

Always a fun rip for me when Mark Grace RCs are in the mix. This box was solid condition wise. Here are the stars and rookies that continue to pile up...

Pulled the main three, but none made the grade of GEM MINT...

Was happy to find 30 contenders for perfection in this box. Lots of former prospects and a few stars in this batch as well...

• Options

Time for another 1988 Topps box. Starting to make some progress against this set finally...

• Options

Not too many PSA 10 contenders this round, but there was solid star power among them. Here are the ones that continue to pile up and don’t make the grade...

This Glavine RC missed the mark too..

I was pretty pumped with these 6 candidates for PSA 10. Forgot about the Al Leiter RC ERROR. Sweet looking card when perfect. Also didn’t suck to get two pristine Maddux in this box...

• Options

I was inspired by the two PSA 10 contending Maddux cards I just pulled from the 1988 Topps box, so up next is his XRC in some fresh 1987 Topps Traded sets...

• Options

Traded sets are very finicky and pretty much hit or miss throughout the whole set. Unfortunately these were a miss. Here are the stars and rookies that don’t make the grade...

Here are the three Maddux XRC. I like the look of this card and think it is an often overlooked key card of the 1980s...

• Options

Time to break a box of the always challenging 1986 Topps...

• Options

Aside from 1983, I think 1986 might be my favorite Topps design of the decade. When these cards are pristine (which is seldom), they really pop. Here are the piles of the ones that don’t make the GEM MINT grade...

I was glad to find 7 candidates for PSA 10 in this box. The Harold Reynolds RC is a sharp card when dead on...

• Options

Time to head back closer to the beginning of the decade. The premier edition from Fleer is an overlooked set in my opinion. The design is simple, yet attractive. The card stock and quality would be consistent with the superiority through the decade that made Fleer the hardest to hunt down. Add to that the now HOF rookie of Harold Baines along with rookies of Gibson, Valenzuela, Ainge, Reardon and Scocia...and you have a nice rip on your hands. Here’s a wax box from 1981 Fleer....

• Options

That was a solid box condition wise. Here are the stars and rookies that didn’t make the grade...

I was happy to find 19 contenders for PSA 10 in this round, headlined by Mr. Stargell...

• Options

Going to try to make some more progress on 1989 and 1988 sets today. Up first is a box of 1989 Donruss...

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Going to try to make some more progress on 1989 and 1988 sets today. Up first is a box of 1989 Donruss...

Best of luck!!!

• Options

@NGS428 said:

Best of luck!!!

Thanks Nic! This box went pretty quickly, since most were off centered. Here are the non grade worthy ones that continue to pile up...

I did find 6 contenders for PSA 10 in this box. Here they are...