Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stuck on my recent Griffey kick...

• Options

This year remains a condition challenge. Still a fun rip given all the HOF though. Here were the ones that missed the grade and continue to pile up from my breaks...

Pretty happy with the RCs, but none are PSA 10 worthy...

Pulled 4 contenders for PSA 10, highlighted by a sick Mattingly and nice Eddie...

• Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2019 11:25PM

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    1989 Donruss continues to be one of the most condition challenging sets of the 1980s. The centering is almost always off in one direction or the other, there are tons of print imperfections like fisheyes and stray black ink, and the edges/borders are highly prone to chipping. No wonder Griffey PSA 10s have been soaring. I did not find a single contender for GEM MINT in this entire box. Here were the stars and rookies that I pulled...

The 1989 Donruss Sheffield is one of my favorite cards of all time.

• Options

Time for another 1989 Topps vending box...

• Options

The production quality on 1989 Topps continues to be poor. Most are OC or have print defects. It is always fun when condition is a challenge. It makes me appreciate landing a perfect example that much more. Here were the stars and RCs that didn’t make the grade...

I pulled these three key RCs, but none are worthy of a 10...

These were the only 4 contenders for GEM MINT...yep, 0.8% of the untouched cards. At least one of them was a Pete Rose...

• Options

I went to grab some 1986 Donruss racks from my case to break, and look who was peering back at me. This top rack will be tucked away and the rest ripped tonight...

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2019 6:28PM

Johnson, Biggio, and Sheffield are what anchors the ‘89 Topps junk effort and clubs the barren ‘88 Topps to death. The last gasp of an epic era. I love it.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

I have always liked the look of the 1986 Donruss set. The design is unlike any other from the 1980s, so props to Donruss for being unique. Here were the stars and rookies that missed the grade...

Like all mid to late 80’s Donruss, this set is tough to find in GEM MINT. Here were the 10 contenders in this group of packs...

• Options

@softparade said:
    Johnson, Biggio, and Sheffield are what anchors the ‘89 Topps junk effort and clubs the barren ‘88 Topps to death. The last gasp of an epic era. I love it.

Well said my friend...well said...

• Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a 1986 Donruss rack pack with Lenny Dykstra on top.

• Options

@JWBlue said:
    I am looking for a 1986 Donruss rack pack with Lenny Dykstra on top.

If I find one, I will set it aside for you.

• Options

Griffey, Griffey, Griffey....

• Options

The distribution in Fleer boxes is so even. Was pretty happy with the contenders for GEM MINT that came out of this box. First, here are the stars and rookies that keep piling up that don’t make the grade...

And the key RCs that missed the mark...

Of the 8 contenders for PSA10, I was happy that one featured Eric Davis and another was the infamous Billy Ripken card. Too bad this wasn’t the FF version...

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Any luck on the box bottoms being in great shape?

• Options

@SumoMenkoMan said:
    Any luck on the box bottoms being in great shape?

Most either have a surface wrinkle or minor scuffing, even coming from a clean factory case. Nothing so far that I would say is worthy of a hand cut 10, but I keep my eye out. Thanks for the question on the always challenging box bottoms!

• Options

One of the most iconic sets from the 1980s is 1986 Topps Traded. Don’t think I have opened any of these in this thread yet. The XRCs of Bonds, Bo, Clark and Canseco are quintessential imagery from the decade of cardboard. Let’s jump into our time machine and hunt for perfection in these two factory taped sets from my case...

• Options

Such great memories looking at these cards. The Bo Jackson XRC is simply beautiful and was the envy of every young collector watching as Bo traveled back and forth between baseball and the gridiron. The portrait shots of Bonds, Canseco and Clark show all the promise of these young sluggers long before they achieved 700+ HRs, 40/40 seasons and post season heroics. That said, these cards are condition sensitive with their black borders coming out of tightly packed factory boxes. Here are the stars and rookies not making the grade...

Neither Bonds made the cut either...

I did manage to find 5 contenders for PSA 10 though, headlined by the Bonilla XRC...

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭

I had one 86TT set as a kid and, of course, opened that thing immediately upon receipt. Stared at the Canseco, Bo, Clark, Bonds, Bonilla, Kruk and Tartabull cards in awe over and over so many times. They were such huge upgrades from my 87T cards, even superceded any 87D or 87F examples I had managed to acquire. The white card stock made them even cooler. For me, a top 5 set of the 80s for sure.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Only one box left of the 87 D. Pulled out the loose leaf binder with lots of 87 D in it. Had a lot of fun back in the day looking for the bash brothers, Bo, etc.

• Options

Great memories guys. Thanks for sharing! Time to hunt once again for that elusive 1989 Donruss Griffey RC in PSA 10 condition...

• Options

Swing and a miss on a grade worthy Junior. These cards are tough to find in perfect condition. Here are the piles of stars and rookies that continue to build from my rips...

Lots of key RCs, but none were perfect...

I initially set aside these 3 contenders for PSA 10, but upon second glance only the Kruk will make the cut...

Thanks to those who continue to follow and comment 👍

• Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭

'89 Donruss has kind of grown on me over the years. Crazy how tough they are to find in a 10!

• Options

Speaking of impossible...time for a box of the worst quality product from the 1980s. Up next, 1981 Donruss...

• Options

Oof, the production quality of 1981 Donruss is complete garbage! Here were the stars and rookies in the box...

I did manage to pull these key RCs, but none are anywhere near worthy of perfection.

I set aside these 5 as potential PSA 10 contenders, but I will take a second look tomorrow to make sure I am not just wishful thinking on any of these since the rest of the box was a complete condition nightmare...

• Options

Let’s see if we can find a perfect Gregg Jefferies RC...

• Options

Man, the design on this set will cross your eyes when looking for dead centered examples. Here were the stars and rookies that missed the mark...

Pulled these key RCs too, but none worthy of a 10...

I was happy to find 13 candidates for PSA 10 despite very little star power among them...

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to believe Donruss missed Baines in 1981 when Topps, Fleer, and even O-Pee-Chee had him. Also, Jack Clark's career is smack in the middle of those being considered for Veterans Committee HoF (John is not) so the '88 Fleer 10s have more star power than you might think.

• Options

Making my way through the 1989 Donruss case I broke...

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jr, Jr, Jr

• Options

Junior made an appearance, but not in perfect condition. This set is really tough to find in flawless condition. Here are the stars and rookies that keep piling up...

The 5 key RCs were found, but none of them perfect...

At first glance, these 5 appear to have a good shot for the elusive GEM MINT grade...

• Options

Then 1989 set is so 80s. Like those bright colored warmup jackets everyone used to wear. Thanks for continuing the adventure!!

• Options

Alright...let’s get a couple rips going. First up is a 1989 Topps vending box...

• Options

They printed enough 1989 Topps for every man, woman and child to each have 100 copies. The problem is that little care was given to quality, so everyone is sitting on stacks of 7s and 8s. Here were the stars and rookies that didn’t make the grade...

Pulled these 4 key RCs, but none make the grade...

Are you Randy Ready for it? Yep, this was the lone contender for PSA 10...

• Options

So then I decided I needed to see some 1989 Griffey’s...

Here are the key RCs...

Unfortunately, neither Griffey made the cut...

I did find these 4 contenders for PSA 10...

• Options

Finishing up the last 1989 Topps vending box from the case I broke a few months back...

• Options
    edited November 24, 2019 9:33AM

Here were the stars and rookies in the box...

Of the key RCs, I only pulled the Smoltz...

But I was happy to find these 8 contenders for PSA 10, highlight by Nolan and Rickey...

• Options

Don’t think I have ripped any 1989 Topps Traded sets in this thread yet. Here go 2 sets from the fresh case I just cracked...

• Options

Awesome. Were Rick Leach and Terry Leach brothers?

• Options

@SumoMenkoMan said:
    Awesome. Were Rick Leach and Terry Leach brothers?

Thanks for following along. You made me wonder, so I Googled it. Rick and Terry were not brothers. Turns out that Terry released a book called Things Happen for a Reason about his journey through baseball. I didn’t realize Terry pitched a 10 inning, 1 hit shutout for the Mets back in 1985. I always love the backstories on some of the lesser known players from the 1980s.

• Options

Feeling like hunting for a perfect Glavine RC. Up next is a box of 1988 Fleer...

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2019 6:14AM

I like your style, Chris. Wake and rip..... at 5:20 AM!!

Andy

• Options

@ahopkins said:
    I like your style, Chris. Wake and rip..... at 5:20 AM!!

Haha...thanks Andy. It is a vacation week after all! Sorry for the delay in posting this morning’s rip. The day got away from me while I was bourbon hunting all the liquor stores before Thanksgiving. Need to make sure I have a full bar before the crazy begins 😉

Here were the stars and rookies that didn’t make the grade...

Pulled these two key RCs, but neither were centered well enough...

I only managed to pull 4 contenders for PSA 10, but was excited when one of them was the formerly coveted Ellis Burks RC. Such a great photo of the young prospect...

I should have much more time to rip over this weekend, so check back between football games and the second round of pumpkin pie.

• Options

1988 was another classic design. Nice rip.

• Options

@SumoMenkoMan said:
    1988 was another classic design. Nice rip.

Thanks...glad folks are still enjoying these breaks!

• Options

Let’s get today rolling. Up first is a 1989 Donruss box...

• Options

This year is a tough one condition wise. Luckily, this box came through relative to most I have opened. First, here are the piles of stars and rookies that continue to build from my rips...

I pulled these key RCs, but none are worthy of a PSA 10...

I pulled 13 contenders for GEM MINT, highlighted by Bonds, Boggs and the once coveted Chris Sabo RC...

• Options

Let’s stick with the Griffey RC kick and rip some 1989 Fleer next...

• Options

Always a fun rip and a great trip down memory lane when I break 1989 Fleer. The distribution is so balanced in these boxes. Here are the stars and rookies that continue to stack up...

Managed to pull all the key RCs, but none made the grade...

There was plenty of star power in these 20 candidates for PSA 10 though...

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

star power is right...'twas a good box of '89 Fleer