Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I love the 1980s! The ultimate unopened rip quest to build Topps, Fleer, Donruss PSA 10 sets...

Comments

• jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that box left much to be desired. Sure it was 1988 Topps, so that is a given...but even the PSA 10 contenders lacked star power. Here are the piles that continue to grow...

Pulled this slightly OC Glavine RC...

And here were the 7 candidates for PSA 10...

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm fairly certain that there's a future HOFer amongst your 7 PSA 10 candidates.

@countdouglas said:
    I'm fairly certain that there's a future HOFer amongst your 7 PSA 10 candidates.

He is one heck of a manager...fair point!

Let’s keep working against this case and set...

• CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

Even the Mattingly card on the box isn't centered,haha

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

I opened about 10 racks of 88 Topps this morning and got 4 or 5 candidates. I'm slowly picking away at a rack case, too, culling only the 10s.

Andy

@Coarsegold said:
    Even the Mattingly card on the box isn't centered,haha

Haha... excellent observation. Maybe Topps actually designed them to all be off-centered, which is why I can never find 50/50 examples!

@ahopkins said:
    I opened about 10 racks of 88 Topps this morning and got 4 or 5 candidates. I'm slowly picking away at a rack case, too, culling only the 10s.

Crazy loves company...thanks for joining the party Andy!

So here are the piles that keep growing from my rips...

I pulled two Glavine RCs from this box, but this one didn’t make the cut...

I am pretty happy with the 7 candidates for PSA 10 that came out of this box. Wizard and a Glavine RC lead the way...

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭

As far as boxes go 1988 me thinks you did pretty damn good! That said I was always hunting for Winfield’s and Seitzers and don’t see them.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too

Time to look for some fresh Griffey RCs...

Found the Griffey’s, just not contenders. Here were the stars and rookies that keep stacking up...

Always a bonus to pull two Griffey in the same box, since you typically only get one of each card out of a box of 1980’s Fleer...

There were only 2 candidates for PSA 10 at first glance, but I think I am going to throw the Reynolds back...

• SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

I love me some Nolan Ryan cards from this set!

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    Found the Griffey’s, just not contenders. Here were the stars and rookies that keep stacking up...

Always a bonus to pull two Griffey in the same box, since you typically only get one of each card out of a box of 1980’s Fleer...

There were only 2 candidates for PSA 10 at first glance, but I think I am going to throw the Reynolds back...

love the pirate cards

You okay, Chris? Please don't tell me you ran out of boxes to rip.

Andy

• JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

I am pretty happy with the 7 candidates for PSA 10 that came out of this box. Wizard and a Glavine RC lead the way...

That Glavine looks flawless.

@ahopkins said:

All is well Andy. Thanks for asking. Just been working crazy hours now that I am forced to work from home like the rest of folks. Don’t fear...still tons of 1980s goodness to rip. I have been rearranging it a bit so I can better access across all the years and brands. Should be situated in about 10 more days and then will resume the rip fest. I will try to rip a few of the easily accessible boxes until I can get the stuff shifted around in storage. Hope you are doing well and everyone is staying healthy!

@JWBlue said:

That Glavine looks flawless.

Thanks JWB! It certainly is a strong example and looks PSA 10 from what I can see.

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@ahopkins said:

All is well Andy. Thanks for asking. Just been working crazy hours now that I am forced to work from home like the rest of folks. Don’t fear...still tons of 1980s goodness to rip. I have been rearranging it a bit so I can better access across all the years and brands. Should be situated in about 10 more days and then will resume the rip fest. I will try to rip a few of the easily accessible boxes until I can get the stuff shifted around in storage. Hope you are doing well and everyone is staying healthy!

Indeed, it's crazy here, too. Working from home with two little ones demanding attention. Glad to hear you're okay. Looking forward to more rips in the near future. Stay stay!

Andy

Alright...let’s grab a box of 1989 Fleer and see what we can pull this evening. Thanks to Andy for nudging me to keep ripping in these crazy times...

Feel pretty good about that box. Here are the piles that continue to grow...

Pulled nearly all the key cards, but none made the grade...

Was happy to land these 17 candidates for PSA 10, loaded with plenty of stars...

• First time poster, just wanted to say how much I enjoy this thread. Hope you can keep ripping while we are home bound

edited March 26, 2020 4:47AM

@1tschaef said:
    First time poster, just wanted to say how much I enjoy this thread. Hope you can keep ripping while we are home bound

Welcome to the boards! Thanks for following this thread and commenting. Don’t worry, I will keep posting many more breaks in the coming weeks and months. Just need to organize some cases so I can keep ripping across all years and brands. Feel free to share a little about what you collect. I love when folks share their cardboard memories and focus.

• bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited March 28, 2020 1:14AM

This thread did inspire me to rip one of my favorite sets from that era, 1991 upper deck. I acquired a little over a case worth (27 boxes) and ripped over the course of about 6 weeks. I relived my childhood a bit, and even came across an extremely hot box that had all 4 'heroes of baseball' extreme SPs in it! Best of all, one of them was the below auto! I know it's not worth much these days, but it was really fun to pull those Heroes of Baseball cards. I never even saw one in the flesh when I was a kid, that's how rare they were.

edited March 28, 2020 3:22AM

@bensie said:
    This thread did inspire me to rip one of my favorite sets from that era, 1991 upper deck. I acquired a little over a case worth (27 boxes) and ripped over the course of about 6 weeks. I relived my childhood a bit, and even came across an extremely hot box that had all 4 'heroes of baseball' extreme SPs in it! Best of all, one of them was the below auto! I know it's not worth much these days, but it was really fun to pull those Heroes of Baseball cards. I never even saw one in the flesh when I was a kid, that's how rare they were.

Love it! Congrats on this sweet pull of an underrated HOFer. I have opened about 10 cases of 1991 UD over the years chasing the Jordan SP and the elusive Nolan Ryan AUTO. Never pulled a Nolan, but I did hit one Fergie Jenkins AUTO from this same Heroes set. I agree, it is a sweet feeling finding these needles in a haystack. Thanks for sharing!

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1tschaef said:
    First time poster, just wanted to say how much I enjoy this thread. Hope you can keep ripping while we are home bound

Am I the only one here still out in the wild at work everyday? lol

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

edited March 28, 2020 12:45PM

@softparade said:
    Am I the only one here still out in the wild at work everyday? lol

Yes. o:)

Be safe, bud.

Andy

Holy cow...spent the day rearranging cases and boxes. This is going to be more of a project than I guessed. Should have much more accessible to rip by the end of the week. For now, it is back to the 1988 Topps wax that is always accessible...for everyone as a TP alternative.

Challenging set condition wise and this box was no exception. Only found 2 candidates for PSA 10, but with good star power. Here are the non-gradeworthy stars and rookies that continue to pile up...

And here are the two contenders...

Planning to rip some 1986 Fleer tomorrow...

• bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited April 4, 2020 8:34PM

Sweet update! Loving the rip room. I have a few hundred boxes in my office, but I just can't bring myself to rip them. The only ones I could give myself was 1991 upper deck.

Can you post a pic of that second rack too?

Time to rip a few 1986 Fleer racks as I look for Gem Mint perfection...

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭

Well, if you are going to get only two cards at least you got star power tool!

Stewart turned in some strong seasons in late 80s. That Henderson is incredible.

And that unopened pic is pure awesome.

Stay safe everyone!

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that stash is ALOT bigger than that little pic shows ;)

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Pretty happy with this rip of 7 racks. Here are the stars and rookies that didn’t make the cut for perfection...

Lots of star power in this group of contenders...I will take another look tomorrow and throw back any of these contenders that don’t pass the second look test.

@softparade said:
    I know that stash is ALOT bigger than that little pic shows ;)

Just giving a flavor of what’s in store 😉

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭

it's a nice flavor!!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

Alright...quick 1989 Fleer rip for the mid-week and then I will get some older years going...

That was a star studded box for PSA 10 contenders. Here are the piles that didn’t make the grade...

Pulled these key cards, but none made the cut...

The star power on these 8 candidates for GEM MINT was pretty solid though...

Decided to start a 1983 Fleer box tonight. Only made it 10 packs in, since the cards were coming out crazy sharp and I had to pour over nearly half of them. These are great problems to have!

Here are the stars and rookies that missed the mark...

So far there are an amazing 17 candidates for PSA 10 out of the first 10 packs. Haven’t hit any of the big 3 yet, so hoping I will find perfect examples of those when I rip more tomorrow. This batch was highlighted by a sweet Gary Carter. Also liking the image of the 4th year Mike Scott card...

That was one sweet box! Here are the other stars and rookies that missed the mark...

Love the look of the Sandberg RC, but T/B centering missed gem status on this one...

However, there were another 28 contenders in the last 28 packs. Here are the first 27 of them...

And the 28th was this clean looking Boggs RC. Such an iconic card for me as it was the first “major” trade I made with my best friend back in grade school...

I ripped another box of 1988 Topps this morning as my quest to build this set in PSA 10 continues. Overall, it was a solid box. Here are the piles that miss the mark and continue to grow...

I was happy to find these 15 candidates for PSA 10 in this break. A bit of star power in this group as well...

Since Magicpapa educated me that today marks the 31st anniversary of Junior’s 1st MLB Home run, up next is another 1989 Fleer box...

good luck. looks like your on a pretty good roll

can't wait to see them

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

@baseballfan said:
    good luck. looks like your on a pretty good roll

can't wait to see them

Thanks Fred. Unfortunately, the condition Gods were not with this box. Here are the piles that continue to build of sub-10 cards...

I did pull all the key cards. I love the look of this Griffey RC...such a great early photo and design...

Here was the only candidate for PSA 10 in the entire box...

I know this is a departure from my 1980’s theme, but I am in the mood to hunt for a Shaq RC. I figured you would all want to follow along and see this break too, so here is a nice shake up from my PSA 10 quest from the 1980s...

Always fun to hunt for some shiny stuff once in awhile. That was a pretty good box. Here were the rookies and stars pulled. I had forgotten just how many variations of each rookie and all the different Jordan’s UD made that year. I love the Jordan base photo. One of the greatest images of all-time...

I didn’t pull the Shaq #1 RC, but did pull his more rare Rookie Standouts RC. It looks like a solid PSA 10 as does the Jordan/Wilkins SP2 card. There were 5 Larry Bird Heroes inserts (including the header card), 1 SP and 3 rookie standouts for those who track insert ratios...

nice change of pace i like that Jordan card also

Fred

• Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Did you have any cards that were stuck together with that '92 UD box?

@Kep13 said:
    Did you have any cards that were stuck together with that '92 UD box?

No. I do keep everything in climate controlled storage though. Typically there isn’t any sticking with pre-1993 UD. Bricking tends to just impact the super high gloss cards like Fleer Ultra, Stadium Club, and post 1993 UD. Thanks for the question.

Alright...let's get back to the good ol’ 1980’s stuff. Up next is a 1983 Donruss box...