Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS slabs Daniel Carr! Way to go! You rock!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 6, 2020 11:38PM in U.S. Coin Forum

@U1chicago posted photos of his first slabbed @dcarr piece in the Dan Carrs latest thread but I thought this warranted its own thread.

It's only fitting that a 2007 Amero is among the first pieces as design discussion for those pieces happened on these very forums.

Check it out in all its TrueView glory.

Comments

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is going to be an interesting thread, no doubt.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 11:27PM

I hope this is a joke. Are they also slabbing the NORFED guy's coins too? What about the Omega man's?

Edited: Is this limited to his "novelty" pieces or are the overstrikes included too?

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad the word "fantasy" appears on the label.

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to see some of my rarer Carr pieces in a PCGS slab!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting that the denomination starts with "P" for "P100 Am". I would imagine "S" for Silver would be more fitting? P sounds like Platinum. Anyone know what P stands for here?

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    It's interesting that the denomination starts with "P" for "P100 Am". I would imagine "S" for Silver would be more fitting? P sounds like Platinum. Anyone know what P stands for here?

P for Pattern?
    (It doesn’t really fit but it’s the only thing that comes to mind).

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

:'(

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ernie11 said:

@PerryHall said:

@ernie11 said:
    I'm glad the word "fantasy" appears on the label.

Should "Fantasy" be on the label of the 1913 Liberty nickel which was an unauthorized issue?

Maybe. I'm still baffled as to why none of them have been confiscated, but that's for another thread.

+1

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

No prongs either... Sweet! :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS should be allowing us to slab and set these hard to get products. I would send in a ton of stuff if I could use them in Sets

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

For those who are opposed to these being slabbed, could you please explain why?

Obviously some people like to collect them. I don't, but more power to those that do. It's more business for PCGS. And sometimes there are comments that someone could be scammed not knowing that these are fantasy pieces. Grading and labeling makes it very clearly exactly what they are, reducing possible confusion. So I'm not really seeing any negatives beyond one's individual personal preference, but perhaps I'm missing something.

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "P" may refer to the Proof-Like version as opposed to the "Satin"??

Not sure if PCGS v. ANACS makes a difference to me.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Davideo said:

Obviously some people like to collect them. I don't, but more power to those that do. It's more business for PCGS. And sometimes there are comments that someone could be scammed not knowing that these are fantasy pieces. Grading and labeling makes it very clearly exactly what they are, reducing possible confusion. So I'm not really seeing any negatives beyond one's individual personal preference, but perhaps I'm missing something.

I am against it because they are not coins. But I guess they are really no different than So Called Dollars. Everyone should be able to collect what they like.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what all is allowed to be graded yet? I have a few I may send in..

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Davideo said:

I wouldn't say I'm "opposed" to slabbing privately made little round disks, (covering all the bases).

But I think PCGS is taking on a little risk. The grading is one thing...it's the authenticity that could become an issue. Just opening up a Krause book, saying, "Yeah, that looks like it", and certifying it as "authentic" seems questionable to me.

With all of the possible manufacturers, with the range of quality, workmanship, and methods, it's pretty hard to take on the role of being the "expert" on all of them. Particularly if you've never actually SEEN one before.

Why does this matter? If a certain low production issue suddenly becomes popular, (and expensive), I can imagine the counterfeiters are sure to follow. Now, just "looks like the one in the book" isn't nearly enough "expertise" any longer.

Guess it's certainly their call to make. But they may want to be careful?!

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:

@Davideo said:

I wouldn't say I'm "opposed" to slabbing privately made little round disks, (covering all the bases).

But I think PCGS is taking on a little risk. The grading is one thing...it's the authenticity that could become an issue. Just opening up a Krause book, saying, "Yeah, that looks like it", and certifying it as "authentic" seems questionable to me.

With all of the possible manufacturers, with the range of quality, workmanship, and methods, it's pretty hard to take on the role of being the "expert" on all of them. Particularly if you've never actually SEEN one before.

Why does this matter? If a certain low production issue suddenly becomes popular, (and expensive), I can imagine the counterfeiters are sure to follow. Now, just "looks like the one in the book" isn't nearly enough "expertise" any longer.

Same risk as with all other exonumia.

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyType said:

@Davideo said:

Dan exhaustively documents his products in his production blog. There could be a time when it is economically reasonable to counterfeit them with the identified markers. But that is not now. Valuations would need to really take off and the production would need to be pretty much duplicating what he does. I am guessing he also has additional markers left undisclosed that he could relate to authenticators. Just my 0.16 bits.

• TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2020 12:04AM

If they were going to confiscate the Amero's they would have done so in 2007 or 2008 when news of these pieces hit the National Media.

I bought one of the 2007 before it did, I liked the design and the price was right.

When the consiracy theories first started during George W Bush administration people believed that a new world order was about to start, and there were rumors that AMERO coins were being produced in secret, there was talk, about this for weeks.

I believe that Dan at that time had already talked with the media.

I decided to put mine on eBay at the time it was in the press, to the laugh's here on the board, until it sold for a nice price at the time. The laughing stopped, I went back to buy more and they were sold out. Now I wish I had kept it.

As far as I know Dan was not in any trouble with the government as the media reports stopped..

Checked it out. I'm sure there's a thread or two around that explains it all.

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to do smoe Registries, DC style. :)

• philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2020 9:27AM

I was looking around to see what other Carr material may have been graded.

Interestingly, the coin that's the subject of this thread is erroneously listed by PCGS under "Canada"

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/category/4454?l=100-1976-2011&ccid=4454&sn=804121&pn=-63&ps=-1

There's a placeholder entry under "PCGS Population Report - World" (https://www.pcgs.com/pop/worldcoins) for Union of North America, but no entries are present.

As far as I can tell, nothing else by Carr has been slabbed by PCGS. The 1964-D Peace is eligible as it is listed as X#383 in "Krause Unusuals listed in the US Section, from the reference "Unusual World Coins, 6th Edition" by Krause Publications" and PCGS has identified this as a list of coins / tokens eligible for grading.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

edited November 15, 2020 9:27AM

@U1chicago's coin in the OP is still a pop 0/1/0 so nothing else has been slabbed.

It would be interesting to slab some. I wonder if PCGS will cross them from ANACS?

Regarding the 1964 Peace Dollar, I hope PCGS starts slabbing them soon given how much interest there is!

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like PCGS is leaving a ton of money on the table by failing to slab these with other exonumia.

I mean, why not?

ANACS slabs are the worst, and they are enjoying exclusivity among the Carr fanatics.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

edited November 15, 2020 2:12PM

There are certain ones PCGS says they’ll grade, i.e. those listed in Krause Unusuals listed in the US Section, from the reference "Unusual World Coins, 6th Edition" by Krause Publications.

I’m thinking people have not sent them in for grading.

Has anyone submitted to PCGS and had the submission rejected?

I plan on submitting my two early 1964-D Peace dollars for grading this week. (By early, I mean Die Pair 6...not the ones that came out early 2020 — Die Pair 9.)

@philographer said:
    There are certain ones PCGS says they’ll grade, i.e. those listed in Krause Unusuals listed in the US Section, from the reference "Unusual World Coins, 6th Edition" by Krause Publications.

I’m thinking people have not sent them in for grading.

Has anyone submitted to PCGS and had the submission rejected?

I plan on submitting my two early 1964-D Peace dollars for grading this week. (By early, I mean Die Pair 6...not the ones that came out early 2020 — Die Pair 9.)

@cardinal submitted a 1964 Peace Dollar a while back and it wasn’t slabbed. Not sure how long ago.

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

I submitted one 8-10 monthS back. They returned it in a flip saying they don’t grade these.
    But, I did get some pics from the photography Dept. They sent me a few different others
    that didn’t slab and some that did, asking which pics I liked. Better before they sent the trueviews

@coinsarefun said:
    I submitted one 8-10 monthS back. They returned it in a flip saying they don’t grade these.

But, I did get some pics from the photography Dept. They sent me a few different others that didn’t slab and some that did, asking which pics I liked. Better before they sent the trueviews

Nice, so do you have 1964 Peace photos from Phil @PCGSPhoto and team?

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only rough images. Not put together. I received Images for several and
    choose which they would make trueviews of.

@coinsarefun said:
    But, I did get some pics from the photography Dept. They sent me a few different others
    that didn’t slab and some that did, asking which pics I liked. Better before they sent the trueviews

Can I ask...when you submitted it, did you reference the Unusual World Coins? PCGS says themselves they recognize this source. They will even slab the “Squared Quarters” by Andor Orand and I’ve seen a number in PCGS slabs for sale

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    @U1chicago's coin in the OP is still a pop 0/1/0 so nothing else has been slabbed.

It would be interesting to slab some. I wonder if PCGS will cross them from ANACS?

Regarding the 1964 Peace Dollar, I hope PCGS starts slabbing them soon given how much interest there is!

Regarding the 1964-D Peace Dollar strikings, their legality in their current unmarked state has never been established one way or the other. PCGS must consider the possibility that at some point in the future they might be ruled to be illegal before they begin certifying them.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last Unusual World Coins that I could find was 6th edition published in 2011.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
    edited November 15, 2020 4:12PM

@7Jaguars said:
    The last Unusual World Coins that I could find was 6th edition published in 2011.

Yes, that’s the cited reference.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2020 7:07PM

I have a couple D. Carr pieces that I would prefer to have in PCGS plastic.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

No doubt a PO01 lowball will show up soon....

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have so many Daniel Carr issues that I had to stop buying them as I ran out of room to store them.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a slippery slope. I hope PCGS does not become the new ICG... There are literally threads where people try to find something that ICG wouldn't slab.

edited November 15, 2020 10:49PM

PCGS is certainly expanding what they slab. When I started coming to the PCGS boards, PCGS didn't slab Bashlow Confederate Cent restrikes, So-Called Dollars, Civil War tokens, and other exonumia whereas they do now. Lately, it seems PCGS is at least slabbing more older exonumia pieces now as well. Otherwise, collections like the William Sphon Baker / Historical Society of Pennsylvania collection probably wouldn't have gone to PCGS. More recently, I note that PCGS is slabbing ANA medals now and I have some to send them, including a few gold ones.

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

They slab your dogs dinner from yesterday if there’s money in it. Also.... these things must be mind numbing to actually grade. Is it 69 or 70 hmmmmmmmmmmm

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am grateful PCGS is opening up its doors a bit to other cool collectible coins.
    I too remember that thread though on the items ICG was slabbing! I wish I could find that thread now!

peacockcoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file