Home U.S. Coin Forum

Still makings mistakes.

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 10, 2019 4:02PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Thought I liked the coin. But the holder is what caught my eye first. I bought it and now it’s not speaking to me...The obverse has been cleaned.

Comments

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darn. That happens sometimes. Hope you can return it

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for posting your learning opportunity

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, while the white color is off for the age and grade of the coin I do not see any obvious signs of cleaning, do you see hairlines on the surfaces? Nice generation 3.5 slab, I can see why it caught your attention. Doesn't look bad from the pics but if you can return it then perhaps that is your best move.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks OK. Perhaps an AU-50 was net graded for not being 100% original if you are correct about the cleaning. :)

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2019 4:23PM

No hairlines that I can see. But there is a definite lack of original surfaces. Maybe overdipped

I bought this at a coin show a couple of weeks ago. The lighting wasn’t great but I should have been able to recognize it as a pass.

I ve never once returned a coin and don’t think I could this one anyhow. I just keep them as lessons

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's okay. Don't beat yourself up, lots of people would be very happy with it.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped attending an area show because of poor lighting after bringing home a couple of surprises.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say based on the slab, that at least it's stable.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you overpay big-time?

Looks good, as graded.

Just a nice lightly circulated bust half - whats not to like?

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the half. Sometimes we expect too much of nearly 200 year old coins.

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

It says XF 45 look appropriate to me

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kinda like it.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks a little over-dipped, perhaps. However, so many of those coins are. It is still a nice looking coin. But, if you don't like it, you don't like it. As long as you didn't grossly overpay for it, you can probably flip it for a minimal loss.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without seeing it in hand, any evaluation is useless.............

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn't look cleaned to me (hairlines are not there), but it's a no brainer that a brilliant white coin of this age has probably been dipped 2 or 3 times in its lifetime, but this is not shocking news.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think calling it a mistake is being somewhat harsh on yourself, I also would not call a dipped coin cleaned although I do understand that some equate dipping to cleaning. It may not be the coin for you but I'm sure that many other collectors would be very happy owning it; so whenever you decide to sell it I'm sure you'll do ok.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang. I expect it’s had one too many baths. Not the natural look you would expect in 200 year old silver.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2019 11:45PM

I’m not a huge fan of buying coins at a show without any return privileges and poor lighting.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...I’ve gotta start bringing my box of 20 to the disco with me after midnight...that way I can bring home 20 beautiful babies every single night...wake up at noon in a bed full of overdipped widgets and then do it all over again the following night ;)

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone stopped making mistakes then their probably off to greener pastures, i.e., dead.

As for the coin: pics versus hands-on; and hands-on truly reveals.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does not look cleaned to me.... perhaps an old dip....However, like many things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....art, women, cars etc., etc., etc.......As an XF45, I like it and would keep it. For you... well, your choice. Cheers, RickO

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

so much to comment on and so little time. suffice as to say that probably all Capped Bust Half-Dollars have been dipped at some point in their lives. it was common practice in the past and continues to this day.

on the bright side, I think everyone should have this as a Type coin and one of these PCGS holders with the unstable, green ring. ;) you have both in one holder!!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Learning from our mistakes is what contributes to building a nice collection because these experiences train the eye. There are other less expensive methods of course, but even the most experienced collector (and dealer) has made buying mistakes.

Good for you to acknowledge, so sell it so your loss isn’t as painful. B)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    I kinda like it.

So so i

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with Keets on this. I was looking for a common date MS 65 of this series for quite some time, and virtually every one I saw I didn't think had original surfaces. I think one reason the term "market acceptable" came up was that with some series, like this one and Bust Dollars, for example, it's hard to find them with original surfaces.

I had given up on finding one until Dale Friend told me my money would be better spend on finding a better date in MS 64. One fell into my lap when a registry set collector bought an MS 65 at an auction of top drawer CBHs a few years ago and sold his MS 64 to a dealer, which I bought. I have never seen an 1817 with a hammered strike like the one. That said, at some time, it was dipped and retoned a golden brown color.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not bothered by it.

I've made a lot worse mistakes than this LOL, if you even want to call it a mistake.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file