Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dimeman's CoinX Show Reoprt........STL.

DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

This show use to be the Silverdollar Show, but has changed names and is bigger and better now. All of the TPD Graders had tables. The PCGS table just had 1 person and was for submission's only. Wish I had know they were going to be there. I would have sent some coins in and saved postage.

Anyway I got there way early as I only live about 90 miles away and I always allow too much time for travel. I wanted to get a new Charlton Book on Canadian coins as mine is a 2014 and doesn't have all the Dime varieties in it that have been added to the Registry sets. So finally it gets to be 10:00 and I get to go in. I first went to see Mike at Nomad Numismatics from K.C. as he had some Dimes to show me. One was a 1892 NGC65 that is a RPD that I had not seen before. Pretty coin and a RPD too. I sent a pic of this to Bill Fivaz to see what he thinks. There is a pic of this coin below. There is repunching in all digits but the 1 and the 8 & 9 are pretty neat. I then started walking the floor and found a 1905 Barber Dime in PCGS58 for my Everyman sets. This was the last purchase as I found nothing else that I needed or couldn't live without. I did stop at Brian Raines table and had a good talk with him. We are both Variety nuts and he also liked my 1892. This was Friday by the way. My only day at this show. I heard several dealers saying this was their last day. People coming Saturday are going to get short changed, which is not right. Below are pics of my 2 newps. Of course the 1892 will be making a trip to CA. soon to get the correct holder. :)B)

Comments

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭

They all look great Jon. Thanks for the report.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, good report.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never knew that much detail as possible until I viewed the reverse of your proof Barber dime.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice dimes Jon...good detail....Cheers, RickO

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a good time - thanks for the report!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭

Any luck getting the Charlton?

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2019 7:10PM

Love the 1892 RPD! Is that a recognized variety? Make sure to update us when it gets back or when you hear from Bill.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2019 7:11PM

Forgot to ask- did you get one of the cool PCGS Coin-X sample slabs?
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1028031/pcgs-sample-collectors-what-event-is-this-from#latest

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    Forgot to ask- did you get one of the cool PCGS Coin-X sample slabs?
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1028031/pcgs-sample-collectors-what-event-is-this-from#latest

No, I guess I should have.

@1960NYGiants said:
    Any luck getting the Charlton?

No, they didn't have them yet.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd leave the 1892 dime in the MS65 NGC holder. The scratch under the nose is distracting. I wouldn't buy it as a 65 and PCGS might not grade it as a 65.

All glory is fleeting.

@291fifth said:
    I'd leave the 1892 dime in the MS65 NGC holder. The scratch under the nose is distracting. I wouldn't buy it as a 65 and PCGS might not grade it as a 65.

That's the chance you take buying a coin in a ngc holder. I bought it for the RPD and not the grade, but it would be nice if it crossed at grade.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for taking the time to post your show report @DIMEMAN.

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting show report. Sounds like you had some success, but you might have more dimes than all of the dealers at the show combined. I think you need a new series, do half dimes interest you?

OINK

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report

• goldengolden Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry that I missed you at the show. I did not arrive until about 15 minutes after the show had opened. The light came on in my car saying that I had low tire pressure. I stopped to fix that. So cold doing that.

I first went to look at auction lots for the Lyn Knight Currency auction and the Scotsman coin auction. I went through the show in a couple of hours. I found a No Drapery Dime that I needed and it was at a fair price. I had to hold off because of a a currency lot that I really wanted that was going to cost me a bundle.
    I did win the currency lot on Thursday night. I did not go back to purchase the Dime on Friday.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file