Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

November to Remember card acquisitions: what's new with you?

Nothing new yet here....on this end.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

2011 Topps American Pie Joe Louis retires spotlight refractor, numbered to /76. I have only come across two of these cards in my years of collecting Joe Louis cards, and I managed to get both of them. I love the design.

• jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭

More slabs scanned. Another of the 2004 Prestige Achievements and like before scanners hate shiney surfaces so I had to use teh phone pic again but of course its a cheap phone. Love the Mantle UD Heroes subset always a favorite of mine. Can't seem to bring that Mantle into focus will have to do

I remember buying $5 complete boxes of Pro Set when no one wanted them- glad I did. Still a classic underappreciated early 90's set.

More for my 1997 Finest subsets and a Bonds I just love as it reminds me how great Pacific inserts were mid 90s thru 2001
    I'll take Mint 9 and above all year long and twice on Sundays on Pacific items

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

picked these up tonight

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just picked this up. I have a feeling his early auto cards are a strong investment. This kid is going to be a hall of famer and will break many records if he stays healthy. Maybe even the next "Tom Brady". We'll see. I just simply like the card too.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2019 6:44AM

@CommemKing said:
    Just picked this up. I have a feeling his early auto cards are a strong investment. This kid is going to be a hall of famer and will break many records if he stays healthy. Maybe even the next "Tom Brady". We'll see. I just simply like the card too.

There is no chance he’s the next Tom Brady. None. He’s a nice athlete and he’s got a great arm but he’s already hurt, the Chiefs are not catching people by surprise anymore and they are coached by a talented guy who could never win the big one.

And the ‘stats’? As the rules become even more about creating more scoring, they’ll water down what Pat has done already - just like what has already happened to Dan Marino.

Edited to add: I think the card is awesome and he’s certainly got huge upside as both card and player. He is a stud - for sure - and I think Russell Wilson, another future Hall of Famer, is the better comparison.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@CommemKing said:

Nice pickup. I've been loading up on Mahomes as well while his cards have 'dipped' since the injury. Guy is an absolute stud. XR is a really overlooked product IMO.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

First Luka RPA I've gotten. He should be all-NBA if he keeps up his current pace. Really astounding what he's doing for his age.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

That is so sweet....congrats

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

I love when I can get serious enjoyment at very low cost

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, Joe, awesome Post Killer!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

Nice pickups folks ! And Toys R Us cards always get me going :D

If you care for a challenge try gemming 1997 Topps Chrome Football cards. There are a total of 6302 cards that have been sent in . Of these a whopping 4596 cards ( 72.9%) got the Min 9 grade and just 945 cards (15%) gem. The rest of the roughly 12% were 8 or even lower . Just a bear of a series. As was 1997 Topps Chrome baseball. Off center, poor corners, surface issues, and some of the industry's worst packaging and sealing seen- everything you don't want to see if your a bulk slabber.
    But the series is beautiful and if you get a refractor some of these cards like the Magicians pop :o

But I figure what the hey let's see what I can do. I luck on 2 boxes cheaply, pop a pack open and realize God's blessed me with a rare centered box. Break it publicly and set aside the cards. Come across them when they ran those $7.50 price specials so I sent 10 or so in.

First group of 5 is back. To say I'm estatic is an understatment. I may have sworn a little ( colorful expletives insert on your own) in happiness o:)

Seau - Pop 2 with none higher
    Sanders - Pop 2
    McNair - Pop 1
    Mitchell - Pop 1
    Hardy - Pop 1

Fisk was PC item didn't look it up

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2019 7:04AM

@DBesse27 said:
    Wow, Joe, awesome Post Killer!

Thanks Dan! Have been trying to upgrade my PSA5 for several years and finally did. There are three 8's out there and nothing higher, so my search for the "best" in this issue is over.

Nice Venezuelans!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Unidentified card panel with Joe Louis. I don't know where it came from or who made it, but I love the image of Joe Louis on the panel, so I nabbed it at a good price.

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    While a big part of my collection is Mickey Mantle heavy, I collect vintage Yankees cards (and some modern, too). Point being, there’s a large amount of items and eras to sift through. The combination of price, great players and material means that there is downside in that, quite frankly, I will never have it all. It’s like starting a T206 set (I guess) and realizing from the outset that barring a miracle you are not going to have Plank and Wagner. I can’t see ever getting the Baltimore News Ruth or the 1952 Topps Mantle into the stable. However, the upside is there in that It creates opportunities too. Which brings me to my latest pickup. One of the first mythic Bronx baseball teams that get a mention for greatest baseball team ever assembled is the 1927 Murderer’s Row Yankees. As such, I always wanted a card associated with that special season and this card scratches that itch. While often found on sheets (even now) and definitely hand cut, these aren’t really ‘strip’ cards; they’re a set of playing cards. The 64 card set is mostly baseball and features big stars like Babe Ruth, Walter Johnson, Al Simmons, Lefty Grove, Jimmie Foxx and Goose Goslin. And a young superstar first baseman who four years prior was still playing in NYC, albeit at Columbia University.

1927 W560 3 of Clubs - Lou Gehrig

That Lou Gehrig card is bad to the bone!

I know zero about this set, a million of them out there? I don’t do basketball but these were given to me. The whole set is here and I don’t really know what I have.

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2019 6:33PM

@Moonman said:
    I know zero about this set, a million of them out there? I don’t do basketball but these were given to me. The whole set is here and I don’t really know what I have.

1990 Skybox Thats the 1st year of Skybox. Payton Rookie a Hall of Fame player.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

A few cards in, I have half of the Lou Brock Topps base set.

I bought the 2 cards i needed for my Troy Aikman rookie set.

However one was sent in a BCCG holder.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:

I don't understand. Did you purchase a BCCG 10 or did the seller send you the wrong card?

@daltex said:

@stwainfan said:

I don't understand. Did you purchase a BCCG 10 or did the seller send you the wrong card?

I ordered a PSA 9. I sent the seller a message. To see what to do about it.

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevegarveyfan said:
    This weekend I purchased the entire 1981 Long Beach Press-Telegram set. Here are the two that mean the most to me.

Congratulations! Such a tough set, I love stuff like this.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach

These came today

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2019 7:42AM

@Moonman said:

It's sad how little collecting love Fitz gets, great guy on and off the field. Great pickup!

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmh111985 said:
    A couple graded Griffeys on their way:

I love that collector’s choice card!

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:

I love that collector’s choice card!

It's one of my favorites, I love how so many of his low dollar 90's cards just look awesome, makes it so much more fun to collect them again 20-25+ years later.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2019 7:10PM

@dad2cl3 said:
    Pulled the trigger on this one! Excited to add it to my All-Time Eagles set.

Stratospheric eye appeal. Gorgeous card.

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:
    Cellobrating this pack pick up back from PSA re-holdering!!

Sweetness. In every sense of the word.

• dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

@stevegarveyfan said:

@dad2cl3 said:
    Pulled the trigger on this one! Excited to add it to my All-Time Eagles set.

Stratospheric eye appeal. Gorgeous card.

It's the side burns lol

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn’t have time to scan it but bought this with my bucks for last quarter. ‘68 is one of the three HOF sets I am working on. The purple thing above his head is on Every Morgan. Not sure what it is but it seems to be part of the picture.

Some serious eye candy being shown nice pickups folks !!

More goodies back from the special. Happy with some positive results on my first foray into non-sports
    A while back bought some boxes to help a friend doing a BGS set as he needed some holograms
    Set these aside and figured I'd send in to PSA some good first subs back

The Bonds International is a Pop 3
    The Helton a Pop 1 and part of a project
    The Jeter Lineage a Pop 5 and his Finest Bronze with coating one of dozens
    The Wolverine Berserk is a Pop 1 just 1 higher
    The Wolverine First Defeat is a Pop 1

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

"It's never iffy, if it's Griffey"

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

It's been a while since I purchased anything in this set, so I made sure to jump on this when it came up on eBay. Only a few more tough ones to complete this set:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭

Nice Singleton RC. Love him as an announcer.
    Again nice 64 Ven from a super difficult set.
    Love seeing anything Yankees vintage.

The Payton cello is just unbelievable.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭