Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does or should PCGS certify Liberty Dollar / NORFED coins from Bernard Von NotHaus?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 7, 2020 8:52AM in U.S. Coin Forum
If so, this could be an interesting development for the hobby.

The reason I ask is because PCGS does certify Liberty Dollar bills from Von NotHaus:

Comments

• I'm aware the question was from 2013. Six years later I believe the Numismatic Society is prime for moving forward on Grading NORFED Liberty Dollars. There are many Designs. High Quality, they range from hard to find to extreamly RARE, you can build sets and the hunt for individual raritys will bring the interest and desire for all ages to get excited in Numismatics again. They sell on several websites. I've been saying NORFED's have been the greatest hidden Treasure of the Numismatic Society. I'm willing to help move this forward since I personally have graded thousands of NORFED Liberty Dollars.
    PLEASE take this serious. I believe most collectors would pay a premium to have them graded by PCGS. As for now ANACS is the only choice.
    I personally back this move by posting my full name.
    Robert A. Haire
    Owner of the 360 Edge Viewing Optics
    I am a TRUE Lover of NORFED Liberty Dollars.
    Anyone who would like to work with me on making this possible, please contact me at:
    evo.360halocoin@yahoo.com

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fatcatbobcat....Welcome aboard.... I do not have any NORFED dollars myself, but certainly agree they should be graded. Cheers, RickO

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had to Google for pix. Bullion.

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Had to Google for pix. Bullion.

PCGS certifies a lot of bullion
    So this could be an argument to slab them.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not trying to sound sarcastic, but if there is a demand and PCGS can turn a profit, then I don't see why they shouldn't slab them.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS slabs Lesher Dollars so there is a precedent for slabbing privately issued bullion coins. I see no reason not to slab them.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are numismatic history just like other "coins" that have come before them, the Lesher Dollars probably being the most famous.

There are enough of the LDs that the value probably wouldn't rise much above bullion value for most issues, at least not for many years to come.

There is the added complication that some of the Liberty Dollar designs were declared to be illegal counterfeits in the court case in which Bernard von Nothaus was convicted.

And don't forget - in addition to silver there were also a few gold and several copper issues.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Private minted bullion not to mention I believe these coins were deemed illegal by the US gooberment. Why on earth would a company such as PCGS want to support this type of illegal activity?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

there are plenty of other TPG's that I'm sure could be persuaded to grade these, why not just go there to get your silver rounds encapsulated??

Not all LDs were declared illegal - only some.

I was in the class of claimants who got some of their confiscated LDs back from the feds.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me to.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got in the game with them a short while before the lawsuit. I too got all my silver back although I didn't have much.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2019 4:28AM

I think PCGS would be more likely to slab these coins/tokens if there were some scholarly reference book that organizes and photographs each coin/token including any major varieties and assigns a number to each coin/token. This is the case with pioneer gold coins, HTT's, CWT's, and SCD's which the major grading services now slab.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like it or not, these pieces have a rabid fan base who are willing to pony up big money. Check recently ended NORFED auctions on eBay and you'll see what I mean. Individual rounds can sell for hundreds of dollars.

To me they're bullion, and I've seen better. If they're going to be slabbed, I think ATS would be a better match.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • fatcatbobcatfatcatbobcat Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited March 6, 2020 4:02PM

NORFED Liberty Dollar Designs, Coin Numbers and Values some have sold. This site is ran and owened by Ron Goodger.

This site discusses $10 Base $20 Base and $50 Base. Liberty Dollars can be found in
    5 ounce, 2 Ounce, 1 Ounce, 1/2, 1/4 and 1/20th ounce. They are minted in Silver, Gold, Copper, Platinum and Pewter. You'll find that each design is numbered and mintage mentioned. You'll also see Hallmarks, Die Sets, Prototypes and much much more.
    This site also discusses early on Hawaiian Dalas. This data is all one needs to build sets, find RARE Die Sets and start you TREASURE Hunt. This site will more than aid the gradding houses in grading NORFED Liberty Dollars. Please take the time and enjoy the history and load of data that will more than impress. If you find this site as helpful as I, please donate to keep this site relevant.
    There is now a BOOK of NORFED Liberty Dollars for sale on this site.
    The Liberty Dollar - From Concept to Crypto book measures 8-1/2 X 11 inches, contains 360 pages, lots of historic photos, presents the complete history of the currency and features four long chapters on the legal history of the Liberty Dollar. It also contains a 30 page Coin Catalog of every issue that features the Lady Liberty image or the LIBERTY DOLLAR name from 1992 to 2018.

https://sites.google.com/site/libertydollarencyclopedia/

As a grader of thousands of NORFED Liberty Dollars, This is a valuable site full of information. I worked dirrectely with Bernard, Dave Gille and others That distributed. They were a great wealth of knowledge. But I believe any grading house would find all necessary info on the website and in the "NEW BOOK"
    PCGS
    Let's get these NORFED Graded PLEASE.

@fatcatbobcat said:
    The Government was made to give all Liberty Dollars back to each owner and investors. NORFED's are and have always been legal to owen, buy, sell and trade.

This simply is not true. I was personally part of the class that petitioned to get back LDs that were confiscated in the FBI raid on LD headquarters.

BvN indeed did not go to jail but he was in fact convicted of counterfeiting based on a jury's (absurd) decision that certain LDs were too close in appearance to US coins. The LDs that led to that verdict were deemed to be counterfeit coins and were not returned to the owners.

To repeat: some LDs were NOT returned to their owners. Somewhere I have the court documents that include details of the names, addresses, and specific LDs involved.

I opposed the confiscation, support the collecting of LDs, and wish more services would slab them. But the facts are the facts.

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Norfed Liberty dollars along with Gallery Mint Museum, Daniel Carr and more are being
    graded by pcgs for some time now. If its in the Krause Unusual coins.
    I uploaded only one page to give everyone an idea.

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

"As a grader of thousands of NORFED Liberty Dollars..."

...For whom?

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

The reason I ask is because PCGS does certify Liberty Dollar bills from Von NotHaus:

(Image)

Since these were adjudicated to be counterfeits, I'm surprised any grading service would grade them. I might see a "not genuine" or "counterfeit" label though.

edited November 4, 2019 9:37PM

@cameonut2011 said:

@Zoins said:

(Image)

Since these were adjudicated to be counterfeits, I'm surprised any grading service would grade them. I might see a "not genuine" or "counterfeit" label though.

Then prepare to be surprised :)

PCGS and other TPGs straight grade counterfeits like the Machins Mills half penny. Also ANACS straight grades these Liberty Dollars.

edited March 5, 2020 3:50AM

This is a 1989 Shelter Dollar (quantity minted, less than 500) it's listed as SCARCE! (highest known private sale $1200 4/12/2012)
    The one in the pictures has unusual mark in the 4th Ray in Liberty's Crown. I have seen many first run (Prototype) coins with marked die's. I believe were looking at the First or one of the first Prototype Shelter Dollars. 99% of my NORFED's come from Jeff Kotchounian, Dave Gillie or Bernard von NotHaus. This Dollar come from an unknown source selling Silver Rounds on a bullion site in 2009. This Dollar is Graded, Slabbed, along with a Bernard signature on the Reverse side of the slab. I believe we are looking at the first year prototype. Making it Priceless to any high end collector.

• @Zoins said:
    That's an incredible display @fatcatbobcat !

Thanks, I appreciate that.

edited March 5, 2020 3:23AM

@telephoto1 said:
    "As a grader of thousands of NORFED Liberty Dollars..."

...For whom?

Sorry for the long delay. I posted your answer above with a picture.

edited March 5, 2020 3:54AM

@fatcatbobcat said:
    It's been a while since my last post due to heath reasons. I wanted to answer telephoto1 question. What TPGS did I work for while grading NORFED Liberty Dollars. It was MMNS 2009 TO 2012 & MNS 2012 To the end of 2013. Masters Numismatic Services.

It's great that you worked for MMNS! Did they slab a lot of Liberty Dollars?

I haven't seen many of these slabs but @THOMAS655 posted a number of MMNS slabs from Don Ensley's So-Called Dollar collection the following thread:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/951173/so-called-dollar-pedigrees/p1

• @Zoins said:

@fatcatbobcat said:
    It's been a while since my last post due to heath reasons. I wanted to answer telephoto1 question. What TPGS did I work for while grading NORFED Liberty Dollars. It was MMNS 2009 TO 2012 & MNS 2012 To the end of 2013. Masters Numismatic Services.

It's great that you worked for MMNS! Did they slab a lot of Liberty Dollars?

I haven't seen many of these slabs but @THOMAS655 posted a number of MMNS slabs from from Don Ensley's So-Called Dollar collection the following thread:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/951173/so-called-dollar-pedigrees/p1

Don Ensley slabbed hundreds of So-Called Dollars with MMNS. It was a great relationship. Don truly had the passion and knowledge for the So-Called Dollars. I had meet Jeff Shevlin a little over a year ago at the F.U.N. Show in Orlando. He had mentioned he purchased some of Don Ensely's collection. Jeff is a great guy and had a very favorable opinion of MMNS. He was happy to put a face to the MMNS company. The Numismatic Society is truly filled with quality people and is the greatest Hobby in the world, yet It's a small world.

edited March 5, 2020 4:24AM

PCGS slabs Lesher Dollars so there is a precedent for slabbing privately issued bullion coins. I see no reason not to slab them.

while these are indeed bullion it's probably more accurate to describe them as medals. they are listed in "Unusual World Coins" 6th Edition and according to the PCGS website they are eligible for encapsulation. however, quite a few other listing from that reference which should also be eligible have been rejected by PCGS, they refuse to place them in a holder bearing their name. this speaks loudly to me.

I know it may sound harsh for me to say as much, but until these are encapsulated by someone other than what amounts to little more than a self-slabber they will remain as bullion. the responses in this thread should make that clear. another thing is abundantly clear to me: since new member fatcatbobcat has all of his eight posts right here in this thread it is clear he's not much more than a promoter of these rounds and of the service that encapsulated them. my word of the week is disingenuous, I think he should stop pretending to be doing anything other than promote. it's strikes me as spam.

as always, JMHO. B)

edited March 5, 2020 4:31AM

@keets said:
    I know it may sound harsh for me to say as much, but until these are encapsulated by someone other than what amounts to little more than a self-slabber they will remain as bullion.

Tough crowd ;)

ANACS certifies Liberty Dollar medallions By Paul Gilkes Published: Feb 23, 2014

not to be argumentative, but unless ANACS has the current slabs really aren't gonna help validate these.

• I see you removed my last post addressing your concerns of self promoting a grading house.
    Fact: MMNS / MNS closed December 2013. I was also asked about the company and I replied.
    Am I promoting NORFED Dollars? YES. The Numismatic Society has been Looking for "THE NEXT BEST THING" Something to bringing new blood, new young collector's into the Worlds Greatest Hobby.
    There are many Numismatics being over look and The NORFEDS are a great example. The Dollars are widely priced making them obtainable for new collectors and advanced collectors. Most important they are a good investment. Having my last post removed was out of line.
    So stop passing judgement, and remember one thing, people that pass judgement without knowledge must stop. It's actions you have taken and comments you made that continue to turn new blood off and turning existing collectors away.
    So sorry you were so offended. By the way, all my post were in this thread because it's my first, and now my last thread because of comments like yours.

edited March 5, 2020 9:22AM

@keets said:
    not to be argumentative, but unless ANACS has the current slabs really aren't gonna help validate these.

I'm not quite understanding this. Is there a word missing after "has"?

Also, I'm not sure people are looking for validation as much as uniform protection of their collection.

For me, I like the TrueViews :)

edited March 5, 2020 9:42AM

yes, changed. sorry for the confusion, my brain sometimes goes faster than my fingers!! :p as for validation, it would make these seem like legitimate "coins/medals/tokens" if PCGS or NGC encapsulated them. as it is now, and reflected by posts, these are seen as nothing but silver rounds.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Private minted bullion not to mention I believe these coins were deemed illegal by the US gooberment. Why on earth would a company such as PCGS want to support this type of illegal activity?

Because other TPGS's slab them? At one time major TPGS did not do many varieties, then they only did Redbook varieties, now they do more. Same goes for problem coins. At first they didn't want "junk" in their holders in order to encourage sight unseen trading. Now... At one time ancients and tokens were not considered.

Give it time.

Dan, that probably just indicates a very small, dedicated number of collectors view them differently.

edited March 5, 2020 8:07PM

@keets said:
    Dan, that probably just indicates a very small, dedicated number of collectors view them differently.

That sounds like it can describe anything with a thin market like patterns, varieties and, dare I say, So-Called Dollars. Basically, most things that you don’t want to sell with a 99 cent auction.

well, not really.

edited March 6, 2020 3:48PM

@keets said:
    well, not really.

I can't put my finger on it, but you seem to have personal issues with the NORFED Liberty Dollars. At this point the Numismatic Society should embrace any and all options that would drive any interest for new young collectors. I would also like to address the cost of the NORFED's going up. There not in production anymore. The quantities minted would make most coin's Rare to Extremely Rare. Along with multiple Designs, High Quality, sets, Varieties, Hallmarks and multiple Metals drive the NORFED's to be Highly Collectable. Due to my connections to NORFED's, I'm always being contacted for the rarities. They are in high demand. Also , I would love to hear your take on Daniel Carr's Moonlight Mint Designs.
    Thanks, Fatcatbobcat

your inept use of the English language and spelling aside, trust me, nobody wants to hear my "take" on DC's work.

edited March 7, 2020 2:21AM

Norfed Liberty dollars along with Gallery Mint Museum, Daniel Carr and more are being
    graded by pcgs for some time now. If its in the Krause Unusual coins

as I said earlier, although PCGS states clearly that they will encapsulate certain items, they don't always do what they say they will. I have sent "Unusual World Coin" listed coins/tokens to PCGS and they have been returned as not eligible. this is probably good, it keeps the boys at ANACS busy and allows PCGS to focus on real coins.

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me the mintage on the counter-stamped 1998 one?
    Also, it looks from google searching that the counter stamped was done after
    the government returned these. Is this so?
    Not my pic nor auction.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2020 1:17PM

To answer the OP,

Yes, I believe PCGS should grade these medals, under the Token and Medal category, using the recent book numbering system and pictures that document these Norfed private mint medals as a reference.

Since these are not US coins, this discussion might be best moved over to the PCGS Registry Set forum to see what interest there is for building such a set in the Registry?

There are a lot of people who collect these medals, and with a new, more complete reference book it should be added to the Registry for historical documentation.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

Those are nice certificates. I have a couple very early ones, additionally hand autographed. Did you just have yours graded in the past month? I did not know PCGS graded them. Where are they listed to determine varieties?

thanks

edited March 11, 2020 2:13AM

@Goldminers said:
    To answer the OP,

Yes, I believe PCGS should grade these medals, under the Token and Medal category, using the recent book numbering system and pictures that document these Norfed private mint medals as a reference.

Since these are not US coins, this discussion might be best moved over to the PCGS Registry Set forum to see what interest there is for building such a set in the Registry?

I think this is the appropriate forum for now. We actually talk about US tokens and medals in this forum too so it's not just coins.

Also, there really can't be a Registry Set if the pieces aren't graded, so grading needs to come first.

edited March 11, 2020 2:26AM

@Goldminers said:

@Zoins said:

Those are nice certificates. I have a couple very early ones, additionally hand autographed. Did you just have yours graded in the past month? I did not know PCGS graded them. Where are they listed to determine varieties?

thanks

Those certificates aren't mine. I found the photos back in 2013 when I created this thread. I'm surprised it took until 2019 to get the first response but I'm glad for the conversation now. I own a number of the medals including the original issue, a pattern restrike, and a unique Ron Landis 2004 Sixth Anniversary Fair token in silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file