Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counter Stamped Coins - How Did They Make Them

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counter Stamped Coins - How Did They Make Them

I would think they used a punch and a heavy hammer but what did they set the coin on to protect the 'reverse' or did they not care about damaging the other side of the coin?

Just Wondering.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options

A press and a piece of wood in this method ?

https://youtu.be/eXDfhKLsQfI

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this one yesterday in change. :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin .... Any idea what that means?? :/ Cheers, RickO

• Options

No clue

• Options

@ricko @ifthevamzarockin

Kolob is a star or planet described in the sacred text of the Latter Day Saint movement. Reference to Kolob is found in the Book of Abraham, a work that is traditionally held by several Latter Day Saint denominations as having been translated from an Egyptian papyrus scroll by Joseph Smith, the founder of the Latter Day Saint movement. According to this work, Kolob is the heavenly body nearest to the throne of God. While the Book of Abraham refers to Kolob as a "star",[1] it also refers to planets as "stars",[2] and, therefore, some Mormon commentators consider Kolob to be a planet.[3] The body also appears in Mormon culture, including a reference to Kolob in an LDS

Detail of Facsimile No. 2 (the Hypocephalus of Sheshonq). Reference numeral 1 represents Kolob according to Joseph Smith. Critics interpret this as an altered figure of a creator god.

• Options
    edited September 18, 2019 6:33AM

"MorMon On Kolob" ???????

"MeetMe On Kolob" ?????

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston....Thank you for that information. I was going to google Kolob...just had not got to it yet...Cheers, RickO

• Options

KOLOB CANYON - Zion National Park Backpacking

https://youtu.be/KvN-8bE0iJM

Looks like a god place toe metal detect.

• Options

Sorry, I thought it was "MM ON KOLOB" but now I see it is "IM ON KOLOB"
    Makes sense, I guess

• Options

And it's a Utah State Quarter, all is good now :)

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

How could you be on Kolob but be down on earth counterstamping coins?

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will watch the video later, but most counterstampers I know use a sledge/drilling hammer of 3 pounds or so, and a small anvil - maybe 15 pounds. ;)

• Options

You can't be in two places at the same time ?? :D

• Options

@JBK said:
    I will watch the video later, but most counterstampers I know use a sledge/drilling hammer of 3 pounds or so, and a small anvil - maybe 15 pounds. ;)

I was just worried about 'damage' to the opposite side of the coin.

• Options

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    I got this one yesterday in change. :)

If you don't mind me asking, what region of the country are you in? These are part of a counterstamping project that I am aware of, but the exact location is a bit of a mystery,

BTW - the slogans on he coins are usually a pun or cryptic reference to either the state's name, the design on the coin, or something associated with the particular state. Looks like yours has been figured out.

• Options

@1630Boston said:

I was just worried about 'damage' to the opposite side of the coin.

Oh, yes. there will be damage. >:)

When you hit the punch with the hammer the metal will travel downward until enough resistance is provided to allow the face of the punch to indent the metal. If you are using a small stamp on a huge/thick coin, there may be little or even no visible damage to the other side (think a 1/16" letter stamped on a Churchill Crown). In most cases, though, the metal will be pushed downward until the area on the other side of the coin comes into contact with the anvil. If you are counterstamping opposite an area that has very high relief, then the distance it must be pushed to get to the surface will be minimal and therefore less distortion.

Your bigger problem is not the damage/flattening to the opposite side, but the "cupping" or bending of the coin that can happen. In this scenario, you can just turn the coin over on the anvil and pound it flat with the hammer (or a smaller one). That will cause a little more distortion/flattening, so you can use a small length of wood (such as 1/2" by 1/2" x something like 2", for example, or slightly larger than the 1/2" dimensions) and treat it as if it was a punch, and place one end against the bulge and hit the other end with a regular hammer, and that will get the coin flat again with no additional distortion.

Or so I've heard... ;)

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a counterstamp punch made, and you hit the coin with it. You will end up with a flat spot on the opposite side.

I am sure that some counterstampers used a gig, which is a machine that repeats same motion over and over again.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@JBK Western states......Rocky Mountain area.

• Options

Thx...that fits my suspicions about origin.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    KOLOB CANYON - Zion National Park Backpacking

https://youtu.be/KvN-8bE0iJM

Looks like a god place toe metal detect.

Zion is a National Park and thus off limits to metal detecting.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file