Home U.S. Coin Forum

I finally found a 1921 Philadelphia for my set ****GRADE POSTED****

WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 12, 2019 1:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Please feel free to guess the grade and/or tell me what you think.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Comments

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it!
    62/3 ?
    If not, the sweetest 58+ on the planet. :)
    Well done!

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy wow! Congrats on that!! Looks fantastic. Is the luster blazing?

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!!
    Photos are a little hazy for grading, but I think they gave it a bump to 64, because of the original surfaces and luster, especially if it's in a newer holder.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58 but probably in an MS holder. Nice strong date.

All glory is fleeting.
  • ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2019 4:19PM

I always find it interesting how the 1921 WLH have very similar annealment and surface texturing as a lot of the 1921 P$ that are from the supposed proof dies. Thats a beaut 21 and similar to what Id like to add to my 1921 set some day.

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 64 to me, nice and original.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm also at 58 but wouldn't be surprised to see it in a 62 holder!

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great 58. Probably in a MS holder.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin. I will say 64.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Larrob37Larrob37 Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I have no clue of grade but it is a beautiful coin. One of the prettiest coins I have seen in a while. If it grades a 58 I would love to see a legit 64-65

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice original skin. Cost wise I am guessing your splurged on an AU58 coin but looks wise it appears mintstate!

peacockcoins

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 63-64 to me from pic. Good strike on thumb.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough date. I am going to guess 63 but I would like better photos for luster.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

I'm going to change my opinion. I'm going with AU58+!

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the '3' camp....but a 4 wouldn't surprise me.
    These aren't very common looking like that, you know ?

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the above

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen common Walkers get straight graded as mint state with rub on the breast so I'm going with MS 64 on this difficult coin.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 64 to me, if the slight haze can be removed, a 65 wouldn't shock me. Great looking walker.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • JBNJBN Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your second set of photos shows nice luster.
    I don’t know what is going on below UNI and SES/above the eagle. I assume it is just reflection/no issue.
    Liberty’s head has nice detail for an early issue. Nice sun. Right field very clean.
    The reverse is lovely. Eagle’s wing feathers are distraction free.
    I wanted to post this prior to viewing any other opinions here, so this is a cut and paste job from Word.
    First scroll through, thought 65.
    After long analysis, think 64+.
    Reverse is so so nice, my final answer is 65.
    Beautiful half dollar!!!

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2019 9:17PM

good looking coin

the legs look undisturbed. I am in 63-64 camp

edit to say: Congrats!

• lonn47lonn47 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

ms62

• 1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 762 ✭✭✭✭✭

ms 65

Have a good day, Gary
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+.
    Congratulations

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 12, 2019 3:59AM

I just had a '47 graded to a 66 and yours looks better than mine, so 66+

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice WLH....Really hard to grade from those pictures, so hazy. I will play it safe and wait for the answer :D Cheers, RickO

• REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

im in the ms 64 camp as well

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with MS64. Noice!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 Congrats @Walkerfan ...... how long did it take to finally seize her? :)

@mannie gray said:
    I love it!
    62/3 ?
    If not, the sweetest 58+ on the planet. :)
    Well done!

• LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful, congrats on the find.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. Nice coin.

I would try a crossover myself. Nice coin! the 58 guess's were silly in my opinion.

Congrats. Very nice Cha-Ching...

I guess my guess doesn't even exist yet :#

edited September 12, 2019 2:42PM

I disagree! You should have a look at a few of my 58+ Barber Half's!

PS Some have cost me more than 65's!

@DIMEMAN said:
    I would try a crossover myself. Nice coin! the 58 guess's were silly in my opinion.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heckuva coin, Jeff! <3

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

@amwldcoin said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Darrell....If they look like that they should not be in 58 holders. The coin in the OP here is definitely MS unless the pic is hiding something. But I don't think that is the case or you would have guessed UNC also.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW👌🏻👌🏻👍🏻👍🏻

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

I'm going by what looks like obvious rub on the breast in the picture. Of course my opinion could change in hand. Actually it has since Walkerfan discussed it!

@DIMEMAN said:

@amwldcoin said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Darrell....If they look like that they should not be in 58 holders. The coin in the OP here is definitely MS unless the pic is hiding something. But I don't think that is the case or you would have guessed UNC also.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the slab photo better than the others and like the coin. I wish I could talk you into having Todd (or MessyDesk or TomB or someone else on that level) photograph your set someday. Your set is deserving.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck on the crossover
    Nice coin

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 7:06AM

Re: the AU guesses. I think the price guide and population reports for tougher coins automatically create some conservative guesses.

If someone posts a gem 84-S Morgan for instance. It could be a stone cold gem but guessers are going to call it an AU58 until proven otherwise so they start with that bias and look for any tiny area on the coin that supports it. On the flip side a gem 81-S Morgan is posted guesses start with the bias that it's an easy gem date and you'll never see an AU guess because AU58 81-S' barely exist. *Just went and checked actually and it's crazy looking at their pop reports. In 62-63-64-65-66 there are a total of around 200,000 81-S' graded, in all of AU there are only 840.

Okay I got way off topic, meant to just say amazing coin and congrats on the pickup and GTG threads involve a lot of bias.

• aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

BEAUTIFUL '21!!!

Imagine this will cross with no issue.

Superb strike!!

Thanks for sharing. Please post if you cross this over.

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

'21 Walker is a desirable coin?
    All this talk about crossing this coin is just total nonsense IMHO ...............are you people crazy?

Great coin in a great holder Walkerfan!

Crossing this coin is a major crap shot. Do you preserve the old holder (if that's even possible) and send it in raw? Or do you send it in as is for hopeful clarity of the situation at stake? Or should it even matter?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file