Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019W Palladium Reverse Proof (19EK), On sale now, $2,437.50 .

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 8, 2020 11:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The 2019-W Reverse Proof Palladium $25 coin will go on sale September 5 12. The sales date has been moved from Sept 5 to Sept 12.

2019 American Eagle One Ounce Palladium Reverse Proof Coin (19EK)

Mintage Limit: 30,000
Product Limit: 30,000
Household Order Limit: 1 (for the first 24 hours.)

If Spot on September 4...
is $1350 to $1399 then the price will be $1,787.50.
is $1400 to $1449 then the price will be $1,837.50.
is $1450 to $1499 then the price will be $1,887.50.

(Post updated August 14.)
-------------- Original Post ----------------
The 2019 Reverse Proof has graduated from TBD to a September 5 sales date. The Mint web page is just a placeholder right now, but Coinworld got some info.

2019 American Eagle One Ounce Palladium Reverse Proof Coin (19EK)

Coinworld is reporting (Michael White is the source) an HHL of one for the first 24 hours, and a Mintage of 30K.

Reverse Proof 2019-W American Eagle palladium coin on sale Sept. 5

If it were to go on sale today, it would be $1,787.50 or $1,837.50, depending on which side of $1400 spot happens to be. Price will be determined the day before it goes on sale.

My guess is we won't see any details until after American Liberty goes on sale Aug 15.

Comments

• meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

A billion version would be nice.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2019 3:56AM

@meluaufeet said:
    A billion version would be nice.

I don’t think many could afford that version. :D:)

@BackroadJunkie Thanks for the update. At that price range we’ll see if the feeding frenzy is muted a tad.

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2019 11:43AM

Sorry @BackroadJunkie. i didn't see you posted this and made a thread on this same topic. Lets hope a new record close of over the high of $1,583/$1,608 waits till the second week of September.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless there are buyers before they go on sale I'm not going to play with this one. Is there 30k buyers of nearly a $2000 coin within 24 hours? I'm not taking the chance. If still available day two the big boys get their fill at cost. I could very likely be wrong but the last two mint issues I thought might be winners were losers. I'd rather be wrong this time with my money in my pocket. If I loose out on a few hundred bucks profit I'll live.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    Unless there are buyers before they go on sale I'm not going to play with this one. Is there 30k buyers of nearly a $2000 coin within 24 hours? I'm not taking the chance. If still available day two the big boys get their fill at cost. I could very likely be wrong but the last two mint issues I thought might be winners were losers. I'd rather be wrong this time with my money in my pocket. If I loose out on a few hundred bucks profit I'll live.

I agree. I think 30k is too many. Of course, there may be a "distribution" problem early on, but unless there's a wholesale pre-issue price, it might be risky to try to make a few bucks on the re-distribution.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    I could very likely be wrong but the last two mint issues I thought might be winners were losers.

When you say the last two mint issues your not referring to the past 2 Palladium issues but the other type coins that the mint pumped out correct?

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

West Point has been extremely busy this year.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

edited August 11, 2019 5:48AM

@Gluggo said:

@JimTyler said:
    I could very likely be wrong but the last two mint issues I thought might be winners were losers.

When you say the last two mint issues your not referring to the past 2 Palladium issues but the other type coins that the mint pumped out correct?

Correct. Last Palladium was a winner.

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    30,000 ? That's like 300 for collectors and 29,700 for flippers.

Probably not far off

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

DOA
    30,000 is far too many coins

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody taking bets as to when or if a sellout occurs?
    I, for one, am a fairly dumbass mint buying slave and am on the fence about this one and suspect there are many others (collectors) that are of similar thought.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

@7Jaguars said:
    Anybody taking bets as to when or if a sellout occurs?
    I, for one, am a fairly dumbass mint buying slave and am on the fence about this one and suspect there are many others (collectors) that are of similar thought.

It may not sell out at all at that number. If the flippers stay away - and they probably should - 30,000 is a HUGE amount of coins for a modern Mint special with a $1000+ price tag. How many Proof Gold eagles do they sell every year? For 2018, I see a total of 7187 1 oz coins. In fact, even the 1/10 oz proof gold eagle has only sold 14,000 coins. And that's from LAST YEAR! [still available, if you want any]

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2019 2:49PM

Last year was a home run but with half the mintage.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:
    Last year was a home run but with half the mintage.

But based on the number of 2018s still changing hands on ebay, 15,000 is still more than the number of actual collectors.

I think 10,000 should be maximum
    15,000 was pushing it
    30,000 is absolutely DOA
    But as others have stated on the forum, many of us start buying the series and just need one.
    I can’t explain it any other way.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7over8 said:
    I think 10,000 should be maximum
    15,000 was pushing it
    30,000 is absolutely DOA
    But as others have stated on the forum, many of us start buying the series and just need one.
    I can’t explain it any other way.

I don't see much upside on this one unless you want one for your collection in which case unlike last year there will be no rush to purchase one.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

This coin will have the approximate half life of Helium.

• ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Too rich for my blood, (I bought the 2018 proof last year, funny story involved with that) but wouldn't be a kick if something should happen like an error or something? Then everybody and there brother would be after these coins, lol.

Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is double the mintage and $400+ more than last year if spot stays around $1400. I have a hard time believing it will sell out.

It will be a flipper's nightmare, especially at this price point. It will be fun to watch.

Should palladium rally back up to $1500 in the next two weeks, we're looking at $1937 for the coin. Only hardcore collectors need apply. :D

I think at some point palladium will turn out like the gold and platinum proofs, where sales pretty much reflect the true collector base for the coin. If prices stay this high and the Mint runs out of different finishes for the coin and starts repeating, we'll probably see that happen. (They still have Enhanced Uncirculated and Matte to go, unless they come up with an Enhanced Proof or maybe colorize the coin...)

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm out but I think it would be cool to own all 3 pieces.

I wonder if they'll do an Enhanced Reverse Proof next year?

Bump, cause the web page populated and details posted...

See OP for details.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did VERY well flipping the last two, but doubt I will try that with this one. Too expensive, and too many. If I owned the first two, I would want the third. But I don't.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jumped off the bandwagon this past July when the Pd spike hit. Not sure if I will get back on even for a short ride. We’ll shall see.

• VpdVpd Posts: 47 ✭✭

I’m in because I rarely get the opportunity to get things from the start of their existence and I have done so with this one. Needless to say, I’m not flipping this series.

@Vpd said:
    I’m in because I rarely get the opportunity to get things from the start of their existence and I have done so with this one. Needless to say, I’m not flipping this series.

Right now, this is a $1900 coin, and still has a week left to go. Palladium is clawing it's way back up to $1500 from its low of sub-$1400 early this month.

Everyone who wants this coin is probably rallying for a palladium crash. :D

I think anyone who wants one of these will get one. A sellout at this point, is highly optimistic.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Vpd said:

That’s the only way I will get one. Or I’m probably not getting one. Probably flip it if I do get one.....

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

Any predictions as to how long to sell out? I vote for at least December.
    Not a buyer here, despite liking the earlier 2018 having gotten that.

• cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do Not see a Sell Out of 30,000. Without a Sell Out, I do Not see very many successful Flips.

30,000 is 20,000 Too High, for the Current Price and the outlook for a recession in the next 24 months...

@Kliao said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Vpd said:

That’s the only way I will get one. Or I’m probably not getting one. Probably flip it if I do get one.....

It's not likely to be flippable

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

the only way i would buy one is i had a buyer lined up to buy it from me, for 150 over

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2019 9:37AM

I do not see any of the dealers lining up to buy our 1 that we can buy on opening day. Makes me think many will not be wanting to buy. I surly would not want to get stuck with one and have to sell at a loss! Is 30,000 to much? I have a tendency to listen to those who say its to much. More often there right. Last years took about 4 minutes to sell out with this go a whole day and No sell out? Only time will tell.

It's not likely to be flippable> @Gluggo said:

I do not see any of the dealers lining up to buy our 1 that we can buy on opening day. Makes me think many will not be wanting to buy. I surly would not want to get stuck with one and have to sell at a loss! Is 30,000 to much? I have a tendency to listen to those who say its to much. More often there right. Last years took about 4 minutes to sell out with this go a whole day and No sell out? Only time will tell.

The mintage was half what it is this year. And there was a dealer bid of $150 over before they even started selling them. As a result, people jumped in to flip. Without a posted bid BEFORE they go on sale, you aren't going to have the flippers. There are most definitely not even 15,000 collectors of these as the previous issues remain available on the secondary market. So 30,000 coins at $2000 each is almost definitely too many.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Uffda...she, Palladium, keeps on rising.
    I love reading the conjecture here as we near the Eagle's release.
    Anyone collecting this issue for the pleasure?

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

MilesWaits, that would be me. I think the design is wonderful and like I said, getting in on the beginning of a series is much better than playing catch up. My gold buffalo and uncirculated gold coins cost me dearly as I attempted to complete the series.

Love to collect and basically never sell my bits/coins. So, I would be a buyer but would be looking at 1500 for this coin which Ain't going to happen.

@Vpd said:
    MilesWaits, that would be me. I think the design is wonderful and like I said, getting in on the beginning of a series is much better than playing catch up. My gold buffalo and uncirculated gold coins cost me dearly as I attempted to complete the series.

That depends. There are a lot of Mint products where playing catch-up is much cheaper.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. Spouses, ouch for those paying Mint pricing, except for a few exceptions.
    Platinum Proofs, Oucher. Double ouch with spot pricing. That is the devil in the details.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

@MilesWaits said:
    Agreed. Spouses, ouch for those paying Mint pricing, except for a few exceptions.
    Platinum Proofs, Oucher. Double ouch with spot pricing. That is the devil in the details.

Thank God we can make it up on the price appreciation of Mint Christmas ornaments!

edited August 27, 2019 3:08PM

Palladium closed today @ $1,464 bid, $1,489 ask

I believe the ask price is the one the Mint uses to calculate the average prior weeks closing.

If Palladium stays within this range - $1,450 to #1,499 - by the pricing grid these Reverse Proof 2019 Palladium $25 coins will be priced at $1,887.50
    $1,400 to $1,449 - $1,837.50
    $1,500 to $1,549 - $1,987.50

As we know Palladium can swing wildly. In the last 30 days ( July 29 to August 26 ) it has gone from a low of $1,392 to a high of $1,532.

Next Wednesday we'll know.

That’s the beauty of this issue’s 30,000 montage. No need to rush the purchase because as we all know, they’ll be around for a while. I can take my time and see where the price goes. As Kudbegud’s last post shows, you can save a few coins depending on the current week’s actions.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2019 6:40PM

I will probably get one of these for my sets (but palladium is too high I think) and send it in to our hosts as usual. If there is anything wrong with it when opened, it will go back to the Mint for a refund. Then I will wait about 3 months and buy a 70 when people figure out few want to keep them other than maybe around 5,000 or so.

This is a probably a great one to avoid unless you are the very first lucky ones,. Just watch the prices spike, and then steadily fall over the winter.

Thanks @cagcrisp.
    The Pricing Grid under Palladium still holds if the calculated LBMA figure is between $1,450 to #1,499. The opening price for the week till September 5th through the 11th will be $1,887.50. I'm hoping it drops to the next lower range so we can save $50.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2019 11:18PM

I am still contemplating if I should wait for secondary for the perfect 70 holded in PCGS at a reasonable premium.
    Paid US Mint at the get go last year plus plus shipping and grading cost ....... traded in for a a few hunsky for a perfect 70 later on.
    I could not wait for be in the frenzy though :)

Going the already graded route is a lot easier on the nerves and quicker to receive.

Most of the firms that sell graded 70s on pre-sale will probably price $300 over issue price—-but lately a lot of them have been more greedy at $400+ over.
    I would expect a 70 to be prices around 2299-2399 from the better retailers
    Lately and because of the increase in premium for a 70 from those retailers, I’ve been submitting again; so for slightly less that $100 you can “make” you own

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭

Never bought these for my collection. Not into platinum anymore. Sold my plats years ago. I saw the same rise in platinum til it crashes. Good luck in buying these at this price point.

@7over8 said:
    Most of the firms that sell graded 70s on pre-sale will probably price $300 over issue price—-but lately a lot of them have been more greedy at $400+ over.
    I would expect a 70 to be prices around 2299-2399 from the better retailers
    Lately and because of the increase in premium for a 70 from those retailers, I’ve been submitting again; so for slightly less that $100 you can “make” you own

Unless you get a 69, in which case it could cost significantly more to "make" a 70

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file