Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

July Card Acquisitions....vintage and modern....what cards did you get?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    One more for the rainbow.. (case scratch on Ken's neck) A few more will be on their way soon.

Nice, you have me wanting to go for the 87D Maddux run. :p What is the reason for this one? Either the indentation in the hologram or the small crease on the back right I would guess as these seem to account for most 5's.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2019 4:00AM

@maddux69 said:

@NGS428 said:
    One more for the rainbow.. (case scratch on Ken's neck) A few more will be on their way soon.

Nice, you have me wanting to go for the 87D Maddux run. :p What is the reason for this one? Either the indentation in the hologram or the small crease on the back right I would guess as these seem to account for most 5's.

Yeah, must be the crease on the back right. Good catch. Seller actually stated that it had a crease in the item title.

Edit: As far as the rainbow, it has been a fun pursuit. Trying to keep them as centered as possible for the grade. The half point grades are tough (low pop), so there are some compromises there.

I was looking at the 87D Maddox the other day. About $100 in a 10 and then it dropped off to $10 in a 9. How large are the pops for the lower grades?

• Options
    MoonmanMoonman Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

Just added to my collection

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice RC.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Jeter kid is gonna be something. Just a gut feeling I have....

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@brad31 said:

Have always loved the multi-player cards and am slowly trying to get all of the 50's and 60's ones with HOF on them.

I love the vintage multi-superstar cards too, and this one is one of my favorites of that genre. Would really love to own one someday. Great card, congrats!

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

@brad31 said:
    Have always loved the multi-player cards and am slowly trying to get all of the 50's and 60's ones with HOF on them.

I love the vintage multi-superstar cards too, and this one is one of my favorites of that genre. Would really love to own one someday. Great card, congrats!

Thanks Dan - enjoy seeing all your Yaz cards. It is great to have you back in the forum.

• Options

@brad31 said:

@DBesse27 said:

@brad31 said:

Thanks Dan - enjoy seeing all your Yaz cards. It is great to have you back in the forum.

Thanks! Made a lot of progress on my master set during my hiatus, but was too lazy to do any “catch up” posts when I got back. Thanks again.

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@Rofles said:
    Some new acquisitions this month for my ‘71 collection!

Rick Wise the guy traded for Steve Carlton.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:
    Some new acquisitions this month for my ‘71 collection!

really nice 71 topps!

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lwehlers said:
    really nice 71 topps!

@gemint said:
    Some really sharp '71s!

Thanks! My collection is coming along very nicely!

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Mr. Bogaerts Gold Ref /50.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
  • Options

Got this in today, very tempted to send it in for review especially given it's in an old flip.

Currently Collecting:

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@softparade I was 11 and in my prime when 81' Donruss came out LOL. Tough centering FO SHO.

• Options

My 59F Ted Williams has been complete for a couple of years, but here are 2 more upgrades to a set I'm in denial I'm still working on:

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Huskies11 said:

Got this in today, very tempted to send it in for review especially given it's in an old flip.

I have had my eye on the Tiffany in a well centered 9 for a while. The 2 that have fit the bill just slipped out of my hands.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Grabbed this one which surprisingly went for 30% less than when it sold in April for the same card and cert. Tough #1 card of Willie who I think will go up in the future.

Buy the dips!

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@skrezyna23 love the Ripkens! Makes me want to try and get all the variations. Had no idea there was so many until I read the Billy Ripken website

Currently Collecting:

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 599 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

I finally found an original copy of the famous 1974 yamakatsu Bruce Lee no.36

• Options
    kcherevkakcherevka Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

Getting started on a Troy Polamalu rookie set. This is card number 3 to go along with my Finest and SP Authentic acquisitions.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Interesting. There’s a Mattingly super collector on here who lives/works in South Korea.

I don't think it is Dan, Dan.

@krisd3279 said:

You're right. I didn't think about that. The one I purchased was from Leaf Breakers. Feedback seemed good so I pulled the trigger. I have never purchased anything from outside the US on EBAY so we'll see how it goes. So far I have a tracking number with label created status.

There are a number of very big breakers/sports card sellers in South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan, especially if you collect basketball cards. A number of these Asia based dealers also break baseball and football. As a basketball collector, I regularly purchase cards from international sellers, but I also think it is the most international sport out of BK, FB and BB.

Steve
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    The following 3 PSA 10 Hannah additions all replace PSA 8's in my master set. I'm excited that this raises my GPA to over 9.21 . Proud, because of some of the oddballs I've needed to track down with no regard to condition.

Hannah is in both the "All Star" and Patriots sets, with 4 colors each, meaning his 1986 McDonald's run contains 8 cards. I now have these three PSA 10's, three self-subbed 9's, and the other two are self-subbed 8's. I'm hoping to someday upgrade those two 8's to 10's as well.

Those McDonalds cards are very cool. I remember being a kid and hoping my parents would take me to McDonalds so I could get more of my 49ers team set completed. I don't know where those cards went from when I was young. One of these days I will have to pick up a high grade Jerry Rice or Joe Montana. Congrats on a trio of 10's. I wonder if any of these high grade McDonalds cards ever made it to paying customers. I can't imagine a card that was actually ever circulated 33 years ago would get a 10.

Steve
  • Options

My 9th Gibson for basic Topps set.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got these two cards in the mail today. I bought the Hogan from @KNAPP and he is a great person to deal with and the Fedor came straight from Japan. I plan to send it in with my next submission.

• Options

Gorgeous OPC Hogan!! Perfect centering.

Currently Collecting:

• Options

Added a Luka red ice to my collection. I've been slacking in the basketball department lately, which happens sometimes when you're an unfocussed collector like I am.

Currently Collecting:

• Options

Picked these up a couple of weeks ago and figured I better share them in the July thread before the month ends!

Ever since I landed my 1969 Atlantic Richfield Yaz premium, it's been one of my very favorite items in my collection. I also was in my dad's study last year and stumbled upon a Tony C from the set. It was beat to hell, but I still loved the artwork and colors, so I thought maybe one day I'd complete the Red Sox team set. That day came earlier this month, when I landed raw copies of Tony C and the other ten 8x10 "cards" to complete my set. Here is a reminder what the Yaz looks like and then a few of my favorites from the rest of the team set:

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Picked these up a couple of weeks ago and figured I better share them in the July thread before the month ends!

Ever since I landed my 1969 Atlantic Richfield Yaz premium, it's been one of my very favorite items in my collection. I also was in my dad's study last year and stumbled upon a Tony C from the set. It was beat to hell, but I still loved the artwork and colors, so I thought maybe one day I'd complete the Red Sox team set. That day came earlier this month, when I landed raw copies of Tony C and the other ten 8x10 "cards" to complete my set. Here is a reminder what the Yaz looks like and then a few of my favorites from the rest of the team set:

But I kinda want to see the beat up Tony C now. The one that inspires is always impressive...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up some graded & ungraded 90's inserts of MJ. The Finest Dish and Swish with Pippen on front and MJ on back usually has horrible centering,especially the MJ side, so I was pretty happy to finally find a centered copy.

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

My last one for July!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rofles said:
    My last one for July!

Chaz

• Options
    bruin805bruin805 Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

Picked up the GOAT

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

This came today. Another low pop item for the Mattingly master set. Only 8 PSA 8 and 1 PSA 9 out there.

I have also been working on all the 2019 Stadium Club Variations this month. This is the progress so far.
    Base

Black Foil

Chrome

Chrome Refractor

Photo Variation

Red Foil

Autographs Rainbow Foil #/10 (this one is on it's way)

Base Autographs (this one is on it's way)

I'm still working on the Chrome Gold Minted and Chrome Orange. There are also Black and White and Sepia out there, but I haven't seen those available yet.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black