Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

July Card Acquisitions....vintage and modern....what cards did you get?

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one for my Star Master Set:

And a freebie that came with it:

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    So much great stuff.

The Jordan auto card is quite memorable tho.

I pulled this from a Topps Finest pack.

Missed this post earlier. Thanks Mike, as I think the Jordan auto you are referencing is the one I posted. Congrats on the Judge Auto. That is a sharp looking card. Out of curiosity, how much modern stuff do you open? You post a lot of great hits and I am wondering if you are just really lucky or if you happen to open a lot of modern.

Steve
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow those Bembry cards are insane! I also love that you’re collecting cards and mem of your favorite college hoops team. I do that with a Providence College. I’d love to see more of your SJU collection!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

@rmh111985 said:

And 3 Bembry rookies with St. Joes memorabilia for my SJU collection:

RMH: GO BONNIES!!!!!!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

You post a lot of great hits and I am wondering if you are just really lucky or if you happen to open a lot of modern.

A little of both Steve - thanx.

I opened way too much Bowman this year but the Topps Finest is pricey - in this case - yes - been very fortunate in my auto pulls.

I've had years where I don't get anything decent also.

Mike
  • Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

For my Gibson Topps set.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Wow those Bembry cards are insane! I also love that you’re collecting cards and mem of your favorite college hoops team. I do that with a Providence College. I’d love to see more of your SJU collection!

Thanks, SJU is my alma mater, and I love seeing the cards in the last few years featuring college "worn" memorabilia. I only recently started that collection, Bembry is the only one with these type of cards, but I've picked up some Jameer Nelson items lately as well. Nothing too outlandish, but stuff to hopefully get signed in-person down the road.

There's a few more Bembry items ending soon that I'm looking to snag. Thankfully, for my wallet, he isn't a star in the NBA.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options

@Cooptown said:

@rmh111985 said:

And 3 Bembry rookies with St. Joes memorabilia for my SJU collection:

RMH: GO BONNIES!!!!!!

Went to see them play the Bonnies 18 months ago at Hagen Arena, was the first game I had been to since college. You guys had a hell of a team that season, and was one of the few decent wins we had that season. I believe 3 weeks later you guys got revenge though.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2019 3:42AM

I like the hunt. That’s me. I collect baseball cards, photos and other ephemera related to the National Pastime with an emphasis on great Yankees. Like many others, Mickey Mantle is at the heart of my collection. I’m always eye appeal driven and I like the items of low population, with a low likelihood of growth always an added bonus. It’s not so much about the ‘worth’ or ‘value’ aspect of these items; truth be told, this probably draws a ‘huh?’ from most. However, for non Mantle collectors, this is a relatively scarce item from the PSA Master Set of arguably the most collected player in baseball history. There are presently 20 of these on the population report; suffice it to say, one day down the line in 2019 it will jump to 21. This is not going to threaten the top of the population report by any means but it’s a very presentable copy.

1958 Holiday Inn Post Card Mickey Mantle Black and White

Two of the PSA 2’s I’ve seen over the years had similar (or worse) damage to their backs but they were also graded long ago so I wouldn’t hazard a guess as to the grade. None of the lettering on the back is lost or obscured but clearly this guy was in either a frame or scrap book at one time. Not that it matters to me.

EDIT: Speak of the devil...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just came in the mail today from Panini Exchange. I'm real excited to she this monster rookie WR play for the Patriots this year. I think he will be a household name soon.

• Options

In the last month or so, I've dove deep into pocket schedules picturing the guys I collect. Here's what I came up with for John Hannah:

That's the only variation I've seen of the 82 schedule. 1984 pictures Hannah with Mosi Tatupu but there are A LOT of variations of that one.

WEEI was the "mothership," but then other schedules were printed with room on front and back for other radio affiliates to customize them. The one on the left above hasn't been customized yet. Here are the backs of the ones above.

The ticket outlet jargon is only seen on the WEEI version. But I decided to get as many affiliated stations as I could. Rabbit's hole!

WTVL customized the one above on top and bottom, front and back.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

And some recent Yaz pickups I'm excited about. First a huge upgrade I was thrilled to add. Bought it from CU member @ugaskidawg at a fair price.

The straight 8 replaces my PSA 9OC. Thrilled with this one!
    Next is a tough 67 team issue:

Obviously the staining is a bummer, but it's still a good addition.

Also I traded away my 71 ARCO PSA 4, so naturally I needed a replacement. I bought 2 raw ones, but jumbos are expensive to submit. I was hoping for grade opinions on both, and that maybe there would be a consensus which one to send in.
    A:

B:

Please let me know grade estimates on both. I have my own opinion about which one I might not submit, but I want others' honest opinions.

Last item. There are lots of sponsor variations for this pocket schedule. This is one I didn't have, and a copy that's never been folded. Too bad the top right corner is mashed.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    edited July 16, 2019 6:34PM

Hiya Scott

What a great pickup buddy!

I bid on a card like that many years ago - slipped thru my fingers - still feel bad.

Would like it in a T3 some day tho.

Mike
  • Options

Amazing Christy!

Yaz Master Set

• Options

am working on the '61 HOF set so the Mays is a key addition for me.

Congratulations Brad - overall you hit the "center" jackpot on those cards!

Mike
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 - that sliding Ted Williams card is pretty cool !!

Here is a Jordan from earlier this year, back from re-holdering

• Options

My 3rd of the 4 card rookie set.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Judge is trying to be The Ultimate Warrior with the eye black.

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jumbo Joe Thornton's rookie is one of my favourites from the 90's. Condition sensitive classic of a guy who has become one of the generational greats.

• Options
    Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@Frozencaribou said:
    Jumbo Joe Thornton's rookie is one of my favourites from the 90's. Condition sensitive classic of a guy who has become one of the generational greats.

Gorgeous card! There's not a ton of these available for sale on a regular basis but it's definitely on my list of future pickups. Hope he plays another 5 years. What a legend.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Options
    Tecmo BoilTecmo Boil Posts: 259 ✭✭✭

Fresh back from Newport Beach...most of them anyway

• Options

I like the Tysons!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a couple of nice looking Pirates!

• Options
    VoteDizzyVoteDizzy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

A couple more for my Seattle hockey alumni collection.

Hockey - Hrdina - Thunderbirds
    Wrestling - Danielson - Storm - Tajiri
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before and after. The first 10?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Wow, that 96 Multi Ad is so ugly it’s magnificent! I love it!

Yaz Master Set

• Options

Best of luck Joe.

Mike
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some SP action and some more for my 1989 Star Master Set. B)

• Options

I missed out on a massive Roy pickup earlier, so I went on an anger buying spree after. Picked up these Roys instead:

And these for the player collections and SJU collection:

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Best of luck Joe.

Thank you!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

From earlier this year and back from re-holdering

• Options

Got this in today.

• Options

My most recent Yaz pickups. I love all the Laughlin cards and happy to add another! The 1976-77 team issue is my second copy, and both are already on their way to PSA.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cost me more to have graded than it is worth, but I liked the card!

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2019 11:45AM

this one just arrived a few days ago. waiting on a few more to arrive

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Just got this one:

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

here is my newest jeter rookie.

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019 9:00AM

I picked up one of these. I feel like I got a steal on it. Now I have to wait for it to get here from South Korea. That probably explains the deal I got.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options

Interesting. There’s a Mattingly super collector on here who lives/works in South Korea.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Interesting. There’s a Mattingly super collector on here who lives/works in South Korea.

You're right. I didn't think about that. The one I purchased was from Leaf Breakers. Feedback seemed good so I pulled the trigger. I have never purchased anything from outside the US on EBAY so we'll see how it goes. So far I have a tracking number with label created status.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black