Home U.S. Coin Forum

[Green CAC] This Will Probably Be My Best Find Of The Year

KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 25, 2019 3:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I can't imagine I'll find another coin to top this beauty this year, so it's all downhill until 2020 for me. PCGS graded this CBH AU-58+ last week, and I had been anxiously checking for TrueViews ever since, just waiting to share it. I was hoping the coin might sneak into a MS-62 holder despite the light wear, but I am more than happy with a 58+. The coin has absolutely incredible luster which is likely what gave it the bump to a plus grade (see the .gif below).

The photos make the coin appear a little more yellow than it really is in hand.

Edit: It got a green CAC sticker.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
Tagged:

Comments

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Kyle, it almost "made" it into and MS holder. Maybe worth another try? I certainly have seen MS coins that are inferior to this one. I'm curious what the history was on this coin.

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle,
    Coin-grats on picking up that gorgeous 1811 Capped Bust Half!! 😁👍👍

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never know what will turn up next, I'd be more likely say "best find of the year so far".

My WAG is that this was part of a very old collection.

Congrats!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great purchase. I love it!

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, awesome grab. I like the coin! Small "8" variety? Definitely would fuel me up for the next cherry pick.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice!
    And properly graded.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, I like it!

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great CBH!
    Congrats.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous coin.

Many happy BST transactions
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PocketArt said:
    Nice, awesome grab. I like the coin! Small "8" variety? Definitely would fuel me up for the next cherry pick.

Yep, you're correct it's a Small 8.

I believe it's an O-106 (R3)

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
    edited May 28, 2019 10:20PM

@Tunis said:
    That is a great “find”. I would also like to hear the backstory on why it was still raw.

@clarkbar04 said:

My WAG is that this was part of a very old collection.

That would be my guess as well, It was on consignment with the person I purchased it from. There's likely not many early date CBHs out there in this condition anymore.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Half. I like the d/c on reverse. That probably makes it a O-something variety.

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coin and I think you know yours is likely more attractive than MS 62 coins with friction !

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is probably worth 2-3 times what it would be worth in a 62 holder!

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:
    Gorgeous coin.

This.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • basetsbbasetsb Posts: 508 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting strike a little off there

@basetsb_coins on Instagram

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice pickup @Kyle. Love the gif showing the luster.

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome. Great coin.

• AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭

Very Nice.

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coin! Good Job. You will have to request a call if that person consigns any more.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably is a 62.....pcgs to tough

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice, congrats

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2019 9:27PM

That's damn fine!

Oops, AU++++! :)

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the color on that.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an outstanding coin.... very nice.... You did well... Cheers, RickO

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2019 4:49AM

@Kyle said:
    I can't imagine I'll find another coin to top this beauty this year...

You probably won't have to.
    That success should stick with you awhile. ;)

• shortnockshortnock Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Plumb pretty specimen, congrats on your pickin'.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty!

• chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

love it as a 58+ and would keep it there

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

love it

Frank

BHNC #203

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

How do you substantiate that? Are there records to back that up?

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Beats paying up for MS 63 or 64

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice!

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

@amwldcoin said:

I have seen some 58+ go for moon money for Everyman registry players so I assume that was what he was thinking.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an impressive one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. I don’t see any 58+ sales listed ... bet you’d get at least 61 money for it.

Probably not public but most common date 58+ were selling for around 3K. Things might of changed but 58+'s in many series sell for more than 63's. This especially true with Barber's and earlier.

@logger7 said:

@amwldcoin said:

@amwldcoin said:
    Probably not public but most common date 58+ were selling for around 3K. Things might of changed but 58+'s in many series sell for more than 63's. This especially true with Barber's and earlier.

I'll have to do some research into 58+ CBHs, I'd imagine it would bring a healthy premium at auction.

There is an 1826 on eBay at the moment listed at $1,800 (around 62 money). Regular AU-58s of the date typically sell for ~$650.

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 8:08PM

Beautiful coin. The GIF shows it wonderfully. No offense, but truview pics blow. Someone's pinky finger must have lightly brushed the coin once for the wear that it has. :)

If yours is a POP 1 for the Overton Variety it will help immensely! I think you would be surprised what that coin would sell for in a major auction. AS a disclaimer there are only a few chasing 58+'s and I believe 1 has dropped out.

@Kyle said:

@amwldcoin said:

I'll have to do some research into 58+ CBHs, I'd imagine it would bring a healthy premium at auction.

There is an 1826 on eBay at the moment listed at $1,800 (around 62 money). Regular AU-58s of the date typically sell for ~$650.

@ARCO said:
    Beautiful coin. The GIF shows it wonderfully. No offense, but truview pics blow. Someone's pinky finger must have lightly brushed the coin once for the wear that it has. :)

Thanks! I felt the GIF and slab photo did a great job at showing the in-hand look of the coin.

@amwldcoin said:
    If yours is a POP 1 for the Overton Variety it will help immensely! I think you would be surprised what that coin would sell for in a major auction. AS a disclaimer there are only a few chasing 58+'s and I believe 1 has dropped out.

It's a pop 1 for the variety in AU-58+, but there are 29 others attributed by PCGS in total (5 graded higher), and 32 attributed by NGC (3 graded higher). I imagine most collectors don't feel the need to have this Overton number put on the label since this particular die marriage doesn't add a premium to the coin. I'd guess there are a few floating around out there without having been attributed by a TPG.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup! I've been looking for a nice 1811 for my date set.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file