Home U.S. Coin Forum

[Green CAC] This Will Probably Be My Best Find Of The Year

KyleKyle Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 25, 2019 2:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I can't imagine I'll find another coin to top this beauty this year, so it's all downhill until 2020 for me. PCGS graded this CBH AU-58+ last week, and I had been anxiously checking for TrueViews ever since, just waiting to share it. I was hoping the coin might sneak into a MS-62 holder despite the light wear, but I am more than happy with a 58+. The coin has absolutely incredible luster which is likely what gave it the bump to a plus grade (see the .gif below).

The photos make the coin appear a little more yellow than it really is in hand.

Edit: It got a green CAC sticker.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor
Tagged:

Comments

• logger7logger7 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Kyle, it almost "made" it into and MS holder. Maybe worth another try? I certainly have seen MS coins that are inferior to this one. I'm curious what the history was on this coin.

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kyle,
    Coin-grats on picking up that gorgeous 1811 Capped Bust Half!! 😁👍👍

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never know what will turn up next, I'd be more likely say "best find of the year so far".

My WAG is that this was part of a very old collection.

Congrats!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great purchase. I love it!

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, awesome grab. I like the coin! Small "8" variety? Definitely would fuel me up for the next cherry pick.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 28,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice!
    And properly graded.

Winner of the ANA's 2020 Heath Literary Award, Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Award, and Lifetime Achievement Award. Winner NLG 2020 Best Numismatic Feature Article, U.S.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭

Nice, I like it!

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great CBH!
    Congrats.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous coin.

Many happy BST transactions
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PocketArt said:
    Nice, awesome grab. I like the coin! Small "8" variety? Definitely would fuel me up for the next cherry pick.

Yep, you're correct it's a Small 8.

I believe it's an O-106 (R3)

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor
    edited May 28, 2019 9:20PM

@Tunis said:
    That is a great “find”. I would also like to hear the backstory on why it was still raw.

@clarkbar04 said:

My WAG is that this was part of a very old collection.

That would be my guess as well, It was on consignment with the person I purchased it from. There's likely not many early date CBHs out there in this condition anymore.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Half. I like the d/c on reverse. That probably makes it a O-something variety.

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coin and I think you know yours is likely more attractive than MS 62 coins with friction !

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is probably worth 2-3 times what it would be worth in a 62 holder!

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:
    Gorgeous coin.

This.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 8,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • basetsbbasetsb Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

Interesting strike a little off there

--------------------------- :D

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice pickup @Kyle. Love the gif showing the luster.

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome. Great coin.

• AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 253 ✭✭✭

Very Nice.

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coin! Good Job. You will have to request a call if that person consigns any more.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 20,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably is a 62.....pcgs to tough

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice, congrats

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2019 8:27PM

That's damn fine!

Oops, AU++++! :)

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • ACopACop Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the color on that.

• rickoricko Posts: 77,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an outstanding coin.... very nice.... You did well... Cheers, RickO

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2019 3:49AM

@Kyle said:
    I can't imagine I'll find another coin to top this beauty this year...

You probably won't have to.
    That success should stick with you awhile. ;)

• shortnockshortnock Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

Plumb pretty specimen, congrats on your pickin'.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a beauty!

• chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

love it as a 58+ and would keep it there

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

love it

Frank

BHNC #203

• logger7logger7 Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

How do you substantiate that? Are there records to back that up?

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Beats paying up for MS 63 or 64

• CoinscratchFeverCoinscratchFever Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Nice!

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

@amwldcoin said:

I have seen some 58+ go for moon money for Everyman registry players so I assume that was what he was thinking.

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 7/2013- 1983 No-S Proof Set
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 41,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an impressive one.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. I don’t see any 58+ sales listed ... bet you’d get at least 61 money for it.

Probably not public but most common date 58+ were selling for around 3K. Things might of changed but 58+'s in many series sell for more than 63's. This especially true with Barber's and earlier.

@logger7 said:

@amwldcoin said:

@amwldcoin said:
    Probably not public but most common date 58+ were selling for around 3K. Things might of changed but 58+'s in many series sell for more than 63's. This especially true with Barber's and earlier.

I'll have to do some research into 58+ CBHs, I'd imagine it would bring a healthy premium at auction.

There is an 1826 on eBay at the moment listed at $1,800 (around 62 money). Regular AU-58s of the date typically sell for ~$650.

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 7:08PM

Beautiful coin. The GIF shows it wonderfully. No offense, but truview pics blow. Someone's pinky finger must have lightly brushed the coin once for the wear that it has. :)

If yours is a POP 1 for the Overton Variety it will help immensely! I think you would be surprised what that coin would sell for in a major auction. AS a disclaimer there are only a few chasing 58+'s and I believe 1 has dropped out.

@Kyle said:

@amwldcoin said:

I'll have to do some research into 58+ CBHs, I'd imagine it would bring a healthy premium at auction.

There is an 1826 on eBay at the moment listed at $1,800 (around 62 money). Regular AU-58s of the date typically sell for ~$650.

@ARCO said:
    Beautiful coin. The GIF shows it wonderfully. No offense, but truview pics blow. Someone's pinky finger must have lightly brushed the coin once for the wear that it has. :)

Thanks! I felt the GIF and slab photo did a great job at showing the in-hand look of the coin.

@amwldcoin said:
    If yours is a POP 1 for the Overton Variety it will help immensely! I think you would be surprised what that coin would sell for in a major auction. AS a disclaimer there are only a few chasing 58+'s and I believe 1 has dropped out.

It's a pop 1 for the variety in AU-58+, but there are 29 others attributed by PCGS in total (5 graded higher), and 32 attributed by NGC (3 graded higher). I imagine most collectors don't feel the need to have this Overton number put on the label since this particular die marriage doesn't add a premium to the coin. I'd guess there are a few floating around out there without having been attributed by a TPG.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup! I've been looking for a nice 1811 for my date set.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!