[Green CAC] This Will Probably Be My Best Find Of The Year

KyleKyle Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 7, 2019 8:39AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I can't imagine I'll find another coin to top this beauty this year, so it's all downhill until 2020 for me. PCGS graded this CBH AU-58+ last week, and I had been anxiously checking for TrueViews ever since, just waiting to share it. I was hoping the coin might sneak into a MS-62 holder despite the light wear, but I am more than happy with a 58+. The coin has absolutely incredible luster which is likely what gave it the bump to a plus grade (see the .gif below).

The photos make the coin appear a little more yellow than it really is in hand.

Edit: It got a green CAC sticker.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman
Tagged:
«1

Comments

  • logger7logger7 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thanks, Kyle, it almost "made" it into and MS holder. Maybe worth another try? I certainly have seen MS coins that are inferior to this one. I'm curious what the history was on this coin.

  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Kyle,
    Coin-grats on picking up that gorgeous 1811 Capped Bust Half!! 😁👍👍


    Stuart

    Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

    "Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Never know what will turn up next, I'd be more likely say "best find of the year so far".

    My WAG is that this was part of a very old collection.

    Congrats!

    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭

    Great purchase. I love it!

  • PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice, awesome grab. I like the coin! Small "8" variety? Definitely would fuel me up for the next cherry pick.

  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 26,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very Nice!
    And properly graded.

    Live your life in such a way that the Preacher does not have to lie when you are dead.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭✭

    Nice, I like it!

  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great CBH!
    Congrats.

    "If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

    My meager Washington Quarter Registry set

  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭✭

    Gorgeous coin.

    Many happy BST transactions
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @PocketArt said:
    Nice, awesome grab. I like the coin! Small "8" variety? Definitely would fuel me up for the next cherry pick.

    Yep, you're correct it's a Small 8.

    I believe it's an O-106 (R3)

    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman
  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2019 10:20PM

    @Tunis said:
    That is a great “find”. I would also like to hear the backstory on why it was still raw.

    @clarkbar04 said:

    My WAG is that this was part of a very old collection.

    That would be my guess as well, It was on consignment with the person I purchased it from. There's likely not many early date CBHs out there in this condition anymore.

    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 19,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Beautiful Half. I like the d/c on reverse. That probably makes it a O-something variety.


    All Dimes All Varieties

    Coins for sale

    Canadian Dimes Set


    Washington Quarters All Varieties 32-64


    >RIP -image Rebecca 2004-2018...If love could have saved you - you would have lived forever<
  • fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

    Nice coin and I think you know yours is likely more attractive than MS 62 coins with friction !

  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That coin is probably worth 2-3 times what it would be worth in a 62 holder!

  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭✭

    @cheezhed said:
    Gorgeous coin.

    This.

  • astroratastrorat Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice!

    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • basetsbbasetsb Posts: 368 ✭✭✭

    Interesting strike a little off there

    --------------------------- :D

  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice pickup @Kyle. Love the gif showing the luster.

  • Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Awesome. Great coin.

  • AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 210 ✭✭✭

    Very Nice.

    Joe

    Everything is all right!
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Awesome coin! Good Job. You will have to request a call if that person consigns any more.

  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well done!

    m

    Walker Proof Digital Album





    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Probably is a 62.....pcgs to tough

    Share the joy and its multiplied by two.
    Share the grief and its halved by two.
  • rln_14rln_14 Posts: 498 ✭✭✭

    Very nice, congrats

  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2019 9:27PM

    That's damn fine!

    Oops, AU++++! :)

  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 10,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice, congratulations !!! :)

    Timbuk3
  • ACopACop Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Love the color on that.

    image
  • rickoricko Posts: 67,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is an outstanding coin.... very nice.... You did well... Cheers, RickO

  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2019 4:49AM

    @Kyle said:
    I can't imagine I'll find another coin to top this beauty this year...

    You probably won't have to.
    That success should stick with you awhile. ;)

  • shortnockshortnock Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

    Plumb pretty specimen, congrats on your pickin'.

  • ashelandasheland Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That's a beauty!

  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭

    love it as a 58+ and would keep it there

  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

    love it

    Frank

    BHNC #203

  • logger7logger7 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @amwldcoin said:
    That coin is probably worth 2-3 times what it would be worth in a 62 holder!

    How do you substantiate that? Are there records to back that up?

  • ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

    Beats paying up for MS 63 or 64

  • CoinscratchFeverCoinscratchFever Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭

    Very Nice!

  • Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

    @logger7 said:

    @amwldcoin said:
    That coin is probably worth 2-3 times what it would be worth in a 62 holder!

    How do you substantiate that? Are there records to back that up?

    I have seen some 58+ go for moon money for Everyman registry players so I assume that was what he was thinking.

  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Gorgeous.

    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 7/2013- 1983 No-S Proof Set
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 41,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 8,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice. I don’t see any 58+ sales listed ... bet you’d get at least 61 money for it.

  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Probably not public but most common date 58+ were selling for around 3K. Things might of changed but 58+'s in many series sell for more than 63's. This especially true with Barber's and earlier.

    @logger7 said:

    @amwldcoin said:
    That coin is probably worth 2-3 times what it would be worth in a 62 holder!

    How do you substantiate that? Are there records to back that up?

  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @amwldcoin said:
    Probably not public but most common date 58+ were selling for around 3K. Things might of changed but 58+'s in many series sell for more than 63's. This especially true with Barber's and earlier.

    I'll have to do some research into 58+ CBHs, I'd imagine it would bring a healthy premium at auction.

    There is an 1826 on eBay at the moment listed at $1,800 (around 62 money). Regular AU-58s of the date typically sell for ~$650.

    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2019 8:08PM

    Beautiful coin. The GIF shows it wonderfully. No offense, but truview pics blow. Someone's pinky finger must have lightly brushed the coin once for the wear that it has. :)

  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If yours is a POP 1 for the Overton Variety it will help immensely! I think you would be surprised what that coin would sell for in a major auction. AS a disclaimer there are only a few chasing 58+'s and I believe 1 has dropped out.

    @Kyle said:

    @amwldcoin said:
    Probably not public but most common date 58+ were selling for around 3K. Things might of changed but 58+'s in many series sell for more than 63's. This especially true with Barber's and earlier.

    I'll have to do some research into 58+ CBHs, I'd imagine it would bring a healthy premium at auction.

    There is an 1826 on eBay at the moment listed at $1,800 (around 62 money). Regular AU-58s of the date typically sell for ~$650.

  • KyleKyle Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ARCO said:
    Beautiful coin. The GIF shows it wonderfully. No offense, but truview pics blow. Someone's pinky finger must have lightly brushed the coin once for the wear that it has. :)

    Thanks! I felt the GIF and slab photo did a great job at showing the in-hand look of the coin.

    @amwldcoin said:
    If yours is a POP 1 for the Overton Variety it will help immensely! I think you would be surprised what that coin would sell for in a major auction. AS a disclaimer there are only a few chasing 58+'s and I believe 1 has dropped out.

    It's a pop 1 for the variety in AU-58+, but there are 29 others attributed by PCGS in total (5 graded higher), and 32 attributed by NGC (3 graded higher). I imagine most collectors don't feel the need to have this Overton number put on the label since this particular die marriage doesn't add a premium to the coin. I'd guess there are a few floating around out there without having been attributed by a TPG.

    Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice pickup! I've been looking for a nice 1811 for my date set.

    “In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

    My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

Sign In or Register to comment.