Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New To Forum - Wildly toned 1850C Weak C $5 Gold

JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 8, 2021 7:47AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is my first thread on this forum. Figure I'll show one from my collection that I love! The first two images make it appear very grainy but its just my phone. The trueview is very accurate. Let me know your thoughts positive or negative. Some opinions have been "too bad the C is so weak". But if it weren't I might not have been able to afford the coin. :) purchased from paradimecoins.

Jbknifeandcoin.com
IG: jb_rarities

Comments

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!! Very nice $5. How long have you been collecting?

• Options

@Tibor said:
    Welcome!! Very nice $5. How long have you been collecting?

Thanks! I am 36, and got into it as a young kid. Left the hobby for a very long time and started again maybe 6-7 years ago or so. I have a tiny collection of about 15 coins at the moment. It is NOT focused, just individual examples I like.

Jbknifeandcoin.com

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that the example coin on Coinfacts? Love that one.

• Options
    CRH4LIFECRH4LIFE Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

I love the deep purple. Welcome aboard!!

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard!
    Very interesting coin....it should get ample attention from some of the resident ‘dirty gold’ aficionados on the forum.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! :)

Sorry to say I'm not a fan since I feel it's been artificially toned with iodine.

The depth of that peripheral toning with bright rims patina progression wise makes no sense unless applied.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019 6:49PM

Welcome!

Wowsa that one is interesting. We have a member here, jwitten, who loooooves the toned gold.

Can’t really go wrong with a PCGS CAC’d Charlotte gold piece of any grade.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

I absolutely love your coin. Gorgeous and unique toning.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no definitive idea how this coin toned like that. I do know I find it attractive. Welcome to the forum

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with @Boosibri about JA’s (we use only his initials for some reason) experience and eye-the CAC sticker confirms originality, at least in my mind. Some folks in the forum will have strong opinions about weak mint marks, but I consider them a legit collectible variety. In my humble opinion, you bought a very nice coin!! Keep posting your newps!!!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019 7:22PM

I love that the OP is 36 years old and has been at for awhile off and on. He has good taste.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019 7:30PM

@JonBrand83 That’s a Beautiful and Historic 1850-C $5 Gold Eagle. — I love the Toned Originality! :)

That’s one hell of a super coin for your first post!! B)o:)

Thanks for posting & Welcome to the Forum!!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

I have known Jon for a while. Great great guy. So good to see you've joined the forums.

Jon doesn't have a large collection, but is centered around great eye appeal coins. Just wait til he posts his avatar coin!

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does the PCGS sniffer sniff iodine ?

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 7:44PM

@Boosibri said:

I would think so too but I would be surprised to have JA miss iodine such as this.

The blue/red toning is market acceptable today and there's more making it into plastic these days.

A decade ago it was a rarity to see it.

I owned this low mintage fully prooflike example back then with very mild reddish blue peripheral toning.

I showed it to Bill Shamhart (of CAC) who advised me to dump it due to the toning which I did at the first Coinfest show.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

Sorry to say I'm not a fan since I feel it's been artificially toned with iodine.

The depth of that peripheral toning with bright rims patina progression wise makes no sense unless applied.

That color doesn’t look like what I’d expect from iodine. It appears unusual, but natural to me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Cream Puff! Love it, esp the reverse.

Welcome to the forum...I’d love to see some of your other pieces.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! I kinda like it!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2019 7:49PM

@JonBrand83 Great first post! Welcome!

@stevenwalden said:
    I agree with @Boosibri about JA’s (we use only his initials for some reason) experience and eye-the CAC sticker confirms originality, at least in my mind. Some folks in the forum will have strong opinions about weak mint marks, but I consider them a legit collectible variety. In my humble opinion, you bought a very nice coin!! Keep posting your newps!!!

There was a big discussion about originality a while back and the general consensus was that CAC did not mean original - because there are really too few original classic coins left.

Non-doctored or non-AT is more along the lines of what JA checks.

@Broadstruck said:

@Boosibri said:

I would think so too but I would be surprised to have JA miss iodine such as this.

The blue/red toning is market acceptable today and there's more making it into plastic these days.

Interesting if iodine is becoming MA to both TPGs and CAC. Over time more things become acceptable.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@stevenwalden said:

There was a big discussion about originality a while back and the general consensus was that CAC did not mean original - because there are really too few original classic coins left.

@Broadstruck said:

@Boosibri said:

Interesting if iodine is becoming MA to both TPGs and CAC. Over time more things become acceptable.

Just like McDonald's they need to update their menus to continue to serve customers ;)

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 8:03PM

@Broadstruck said:

@Zoins said:

@stevenwalden said:

@Broadstruck said:

@Boosibri said:

Just like McDonald's they need to update their menus to continue to serve customers ;)

I also think it's interesting that people who cite CAC just mention JA's credentials but not why they think it's original.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s a familiar face (oldgoldeagles from IG here) welcome and yeah that coin is fantastic

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 8:19PM

@Zoins said:

@Broadstruck said:

@Zoins said:

@stevenwalden said:

@Broadstruck said:

@Boosibri said:

I also think it's interesting that people who site CAC just mention JA's credentials but not why they think it's original.

Well toned gold is like a limited McRib sandwich with false bones.

People like it and rush when it's available yet no one really knows if the mystery meat is truly pork?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Broadstruck said:

@Zoins said:

@stevenwalden said:

@Broadstruck said:

@Boosibri said:

I also think it's interesting that people who site CAC just mention JA's credentials but not why they think it's original.

Those to whom you refer, apparently have considerable confidence in John’s ability to recognize and reject coins which have had iodine applied. I do, as well, though apart from that, I opined that the color doesn’t look like that which I associate with iodine.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive seen old gold that was dipped with a CAC sticker. I don’t consider dipped coins original, so I agree that CAC doesn’t necessarily mean originality. I would not expect a coin to get a sticker if JA believed it was AT or doctored. My expectation would be that the toning is legit if it has a sticker. I certainly like it.

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 8:09PM

@Wahoo554 said:
    Ive seen old gold that was dipped with a CAC sticker. I don’t consider dipped coins original, so I agree that CAC doesn’t necessarily mean originality. I would not expect a coin to get a sticker if JA believed it was AT or doctored. My expectation would be that the toning is legit if it has a sticker. I certainly like it.

If CAC only stickered coins with original surfaces that would leave out a majority of 18th and 19th century silver coinage with market acceptable secondary toning.

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 9:49PM

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@Broadstruck said:

@Zoins said:

@stevenwalden said:

@Broadstruck said:

@Boosibri said:

Those to whom you refer, apparently have considerable confidence in John’s ability to recognize and reject coins which have had iodine applied. I do, as well, though apart from that, I opined that the color doesn’t look like that which I associate with iodine.

I agree they have considerable confidence which is why I mentioned it's enough that they don't need to provide their own opinion. I did feel it was necessary to point out CAC does not mean original which was also posted above.

I missed your post since it was below @Broadstruck's which I was responding to. Good to know your opinion that it’s natural.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the CU forum @JonBrand83!

Weak C or not, love the gold!

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Jon!!! Good to see you on here. This coin has been on my radar for awhile now, lol ;) You'll find some people here have strong opinions about toned gold, but I don't let it bother me. I've always loved that coin!

• Options

@jwitten said:
    Welcome Jon!!! Good to see you on here. This coin has been on my radar for awhile now, lol ;) You'll find some people here have strong opinions about toned gold, but I don't let it bother me. I've always loved that coin!

Jon, im not worried about negative comments or criticism, as you know. :) On peices I buy ive formed my opinion but always want to learn. Also at coin shows i;ve been at plenty of people arent into toned gold, so I'm used to that one. You, OGE and I are pirates so we like them.

Jbknifeandcoin.com

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

But it stickered... :*

• Options
    edited May 23, 2019 11:35PM

@JonBrand83 said:

@Smudge said:
    Isn't that the example coin on Coinfacts? Love that one.

Yep. After getting it true-viewed I was pleasantly surprised to see it in coinfacts!

And the top grade by far! It certainly has a lot more character than the other 2 coins.

I'd love to see this in hand.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    SSRSSR Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭

I know Jon very well! Great guy. Great buy. Welcome bud.

www.paradimecoins.com - Specializing in Top Pop Type PCGS CAC coins. Subscribe To Our NEWPs Mailing List

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this coin. Congratulations and welcome to the forum!!

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin that stirs collector's thoughts. Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing such a beauty.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Jon, welcome to the forum! That's a neat coin, I look forward to you posting some of the other ones in your collection. I like your eclectic approach to collecting.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy cow, that's a very nice piece. Glad you joined and shared it... B)

• Options
    RABRAB Posts: 132 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

@ilikemonsters said:

Jon doesn't have a large collection, but is centered around great eye appeal coins. Just wait til he posts his avatar coin!

Ok, I think I really need to see the Avatar coin @JonBrand83 !!!

I’m still somewhat new to the forum, but here is the reverse of my 1853-D $2.50 with similar toning. (PCGS AU55), purchased from another forum member.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JonBrand83 .... Welcome aboard.....I really like gold coins.. and gold CC or C (even weak) is cool. I am not a fan of tarnish on any coins, gold or silver. That, however, is a personal opinion - collect what you like and enjoy the hobby. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not knowledgeable enough about toning of gold coins to say anything about originality. I can say I think the coin is attractive, arguably more so than the Supernova [did I say that out loud?], and I would enjoy it as part of my collection. Welcome to the forum.

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin and welcome to the forum.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2019 7:33AM

Welcome to the forum, cool coin!

Note to the "coin sky is falling/Ebay is withering" people on the forum: Jon has been on Instagram for awhile and has posted some really cool coins. He's just one collector but the collector base does skew younger on the platform. Yes, their habits are different but it doesn't mean the hobby is dying. Maybe take off the mustard stained shirt and get off your lawn - there is another world out there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file