Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are there ANY Coins you would consider a "National Treasure"?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
There is an interesting discussion on the Registry Forum regarding the 'Peacock' Ikes and whether they should be considered a National Treasure.
Are there a series of coins or even a single coin you do consider a National Treasure?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    Braddick,

Here are my choices:
    1933 $20 Gold
    1804 Bust $1
    1964d Peace $1
    1965 Proof Nickel
    1895 Morgan $1
    1913 5c

I'll think of some others, but here is my first "brainstorm". Since I live in MD, drive through DC to get to Arlington VA, I may decide to visit the display, see what they have and report back.
    My eBay Items

I love Ike dollars and all other dollar series !!!

I also love Major Circulation Strike Type Sets, clad Washingtons ('65 to '98) and key date coins !!!!!

If ignorance is bliss, shouldn't we have more happy people ??
  • Options
    Yes, the 1792 half dime made with silver donated by George Washington. It is the country's first federal coin.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    1793 Wreath Cent in PCGS MS 69...209 years old and it blows your socks off....
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    The 1860 $20 dollar gold coin found in the CSS Hunley that belonged to Lt. George Dixon.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    The Franklin half?
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1849 double eagle...

1 made...

resides in the Smithsonian collection...

it's priceless...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    Golden Gate Bridge
    Everglades
    Grand Canyon
    Yellowstone NP
    WTC [when it was still standing]

These are national treasures where a large percentage of people are in awe. Realistically, how many are awed by a coin?
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't the coin have to actually exist to really be a national treasure? Has anyone even rumored to have seen an 1895 Morgan dollar, other than a Proof?
    Gilbert
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Gilbert,

I think some years ago ANACS actually certified a heavily worn 1895 as a business strike. It was however later thought by many to be just a well worn proof.

dragon
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Regardless of its authenticity, I think the 1804 dollar remains the best national treasure in coins. But I would also include all first year issues and the George Washington medal-coins as well as any true continental congress issues.
  • Options
    The 1802 Half Dime! image

matteproof
    Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Coins that I would consider national treasures are:

All 1804 dollars

1870-S $3.00 gold

All 1822 $5.00 gold

1849 $20.00 gold

All 1913 Liberty nickels

1792 Half disme

All high and ultra relief Saints

and several others.

dragon
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    All the early stuff, you know 1792 through 1799.

1894-S Barber Dime, and the many pattern coins of the era.

Sommer Island coins becuase my daugter's name is Sommer!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    sadysta1sadysta1 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭
    heavycopper for your info that story about Washington donating silrver is a total BS.
  • Options
    I am with Tootawl about Dixon's twenty dollar gold coin that was found in the Hunley.

It is infact, a national treasure. Much money will be put into housing it, and the other artifacts. And people will pay to see it.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1794 $'s.....especially the Amon Carter coin. K
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote for a Walking Liberty Half- gorgeous design and it shows so much about the basic freedoms and values of our country.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    All 1793 issued coins - to me they mark the begining of a great leagacy.

Frank
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭
    All 1792 Issue's

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    The King of Siam set.

It represents the first steps our country took onto the world scene as a small country reaching out to form its first links of acceptance and friendship with other countries besides Mother England. The diplomatic gift sets that Roberts carried were to create bonds of friendship between our country and countries of importance in the trade routes of the eastern hemisphere. That one of these sets has come back home almost complete is a minor miracle. The other original 1804 dollars are nice but this one with its companions and the original gift box is truly a national treasure. And I would personally wish the coins would be busted out of those plastic tombs they are in and be returned to their original resting place where they spent over 150 years, the diplomatic gift box.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the top of the list:

1792 half disme – arguably the first U.S. coin and probably made from Washington’s silver.

1793 Chain Cent – First coin issued for general circulation that was made at the Federal mint.

1907 High Relief $20 Gold – A great work of numismatic art and the beginning of a gold age of U.S. coin design.

At the middle of the list:

1787 Fugio Cent – First coin authorized by Congress

1776 Continental Dollar – Revolutionary War issue

Buffalo Nickel - The coin with the most “All American” symbolism.

Bottom of the list - Manufactured Rarities:

1913 Liberty Nickel - Product of mint employee fraud

1804 Restrike dollar – Ditto

1933 Double Eagle – Rare by circumstance, possible fraud if not by original theft from the mint then made so by government greed that confiscated half the sale price from the owners.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    the Fugio cent...........

THE FIRST COIN ISSUED BY THE AUTHORITY OF THE UNITED STATES

showing the original thirteen colonies on the reverse of the coin and inspired by benjamin franklin without him and his efforts i think this country would not have existed.

sincerely michael
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    ttt
  • Options
    Any CC dollar image
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All Mint State chain cents. There are a handful.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll go with Bill Jones's list which heavilly weighs the historical importance of the coinage. Would be interested in hearing from Sudysta1 as to why he believes the account of the silver in the half dismes to be from some other source than George Washington's silver. As the owner of a half disme I have read everything I can find on this coin and the more I research it the more I have to come to believe that George Washington supplied the silver. The most important historical support comes from inventories of items at Mt Vernon. While a silver service was reportedly listed prior to 1792, thereafter the reference was only to silver plate - strongly suggesting that George and Martha substituted the less valuable silver plate to replace the silver that went into the half disme coins.

That George Washington highly valued the importance of the newly established Republic having its own coined money is without historical dispute from the fact that he made specific reference to the coinage of the half dismes in his inagural/"State of the Union" address of 1793. Yesterday morning I had the opportunity to spend a few hours in Philadelphia where I sat in the room where that address was given and was awed by the fact that the original chair in which George Washington would have sat was still there to view. (Until the capital was located onto the Banks of the Potomac in 1800, the U.S. Congress met in the building adjacent to Independence Hall, with the House of Representatives on the first floor, and the Senate above on the 2nd.)
  • Options
    I vote for cal gold it's americana and history in one coin only set in a frame of time never to repeat
    made by the people for the people
    we'll never see the like's again just my guess
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............................, mine, of course.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are there ANY Coins you would consider a "National Treasure"? >>

Every single one of them. image
  • Options
    1) For beauty, the extra high relief Saints
    2) For interest, the "Strawberry" Cent as the first counterfiet of a US issue, plus the super grade Chain cents
    3) Historically, the 1792 half dismes
    Or-- the first strike of our US Dollar--the 1794 copper one in the Smithsonian
    4) The Brascher Doubloons for historic gold
    5) The 2 best Proof 1884/85 Trade Dollars for beauty combined with their current world Trade significance
    6) The fair/good 1894S dime for the world's most expensive ice cream cone
    7) My rainbow toned MS67 DMPL Morgan $1??
    morgannut2
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1860 $20 dollar gold coin found in the CSS Hunley that belonged to Lt. George Dixon.

That coin has a great, great story, but I don't buy the argument that it's a "National Treasure".

the first strike of our US Dollar--the 1794 copper one in the Smithsonian

Well, the starless version came first, but I still agree that the Smithsonian example is a national treasure.

I'll also add the following:

Any of the four original Confederate Half Dollars.

The pattern Fugio Cent with state names on the rings.

Any silver Continental Dollar.

JJF's set of Nova Constellatio patterns.

Any 1792 pattern. (Half dismes in silver are not patterns, BTW.)

Any Templeton Reid gold piece.

Humbert's own proof $50.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>1794 $'s.....

I agree wholehartedly
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I'd expand the list of the coins mentioned here to a complete high-grade Type Set, and I'm willing to use your tax dollars to accomplish it.image
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgannut2 - I had never heard the story about the "most expensive ice cream cone." Doesn't take much imagination to guess the details though. Is it factual or more likely an urban legend?
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
    Haven't seen them mentioned yet, so how about the 1787 Brasher Doubloon and the Neil/Carter specimen 1794 Flowing Hair silver dollar?

Significant because the 1787 doubloon is considered America's first gold coin struck and the 1794 silver dollar is considered America's first silver dollar struck.

They are fresh in my mind since I just saw both at the Money show in KC. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    >>>>>>Haven't seen them mentioned yet, so how about the 1787 Brasher Doubloon and the Neil/Carter specimen 1794 Flowing Hair silver dollar?

Significant because the 1787 doubloon is considered America's first gold coin struck and the 1794 silver dollar is considered America's first silver dollar struck.

They are fresh in my mind since I just saw both at the Money show in KC. <<<<<<<<<<

Is it true that the above National Treasures are being donated to the Smithsonian ? I seem to remember the present owner of those two coins claiming them to be National Treasures, and am wondering when they will be officially donated.
  • Options
    busco69busco69 Posts: 815 ✭✭
    The washington encased postage cent very rare very nice.
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • Options
    All colonials and the Walking Liberty Half.....
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are there ANY Coins you would consider a "National Treasure"? >>

To me, the term "national treasure" refers more to a single, individual coin, rather than a type of coins.

And when I think of a particular individual coin that is a national treasure, I think of a certain bent and engraved 1860 double eagle.

It stopped a bullet at Shiloh, saving Lt. George Dixon from severe bodily harm, and was later carried by him as a lucky charm, but it didn't save him when the Confederate submarine CSS Hunley went down with all hands in 1864, just after becoming the first sub in history to sink an enemy warship.

The story that coin tells, and the way it went from being a historical rumor to a real find when the sub was discovered and raised, makes it a national treasure, in my opinion. It's difficult for me to think of any other individual US coin with such a colorful history.

If you don't know the story of this coin, you should read it. I didn't wanna post pics of it here because they're all clearly copyrighted, but you can read about it and see a picture here.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭
    YEAH! All the coins in MY collection! imageimageimage

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1849 double eagle in the Smithsonian would certainly qualify. The 1907 Saint Gaudens double eagle that was the personal possession of President Teddy Rosevelt would also qualify as a "National Treasure".

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for helping to compile a list of coins I will be writing to my congressmen about, asking him to help get these really declared National Treasures and to confiscate them from their current owners and placed in the National Collection at the Smithsonian for all of us to enjoy. Think that can't happen? Think again, the government can steal your house to build a Wal-Mart now.
    Varieties are the spice of a Type Set.

Need more $$$ for coins?
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Smithsonian won't put them on display. They will put them in storage with the other coins they have as part of the national numismatic collection.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>Thanks everyone for helping to compile a list of coins I will be writing to my congressmen about, asking him to help get these really declared National Treasures and to confiscate them from their current owners and placed in the National Collection at the Smithsonian for all of us to enjoy. Think that can't happen? Think again, the government can steal your house to build a Wal-Mart now. >>

Isn't that a crock???? Although we do need more Wal-Marts.

Interestng post, really enjoying this.
  • Options

<< <i>The Smithsonian won't put them on display >>

That's fine though, they don't need to be on display. As long as they're in a musty government owned basement somewhere, where they can be polished to a nice bright shine, lacquered, and glued to traveling displays once a decade, these national treasures NEED to be taken away from their loving collectors. The travesty of personal property rights is coming to an end, I for one am happy to see this happen, too many rich people own these things, and it's just not right that they make all this money by breaking the backs of the little people, we the people need to confiscate that wealth and their accumulated collections. I'm sure Thomas Jefferson would agree.
    Varieties are the spice of a Type Set.

Need more $$$ for coins?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The Smithsonian won't put them on display >>

That's fine though, they don't need to be on display. As long as they're in a musty government owned basement somewhere, where they can be polished to a nice bright shine, lacquered, and glued to traveling displays once a decade, these national treasures NEED to be taken away from their loving collectors. The travesty of personal property rights is coming to an end, I for one am happy to see this happen, too many rich people own these things, and it's just not right that they make all this money by breaking the backs of the little people, we the people need to confiscate that wealth and their accumulated collections. I'm sure Thomas Jefferson would agree. >>

I agree with you 100%, Wekar. It would be well if you opened a thread in the open forum for this. The latest Supreme Court decision is a clear example of how government greed and corruption if left unchecked can take away our most fundamental rights.

And you will not that the "liberal" Supreme Court justices led the charge for this. The modern liberal has no respect for human rights, only “government rights.”
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    You guys are a riot.

We went on the "slippery slope" some time ago. It is only a matter of time......................
  • Options

<< <i>You guys are a riot.

We went on the "slippery slope" some time ago. It is only a matter of time...................... >>

So what do you propose to do, give up?

Your rights can still be preserved if you remain vigilant and support candidates for public office who believe in the American system of human rights. AND property rights ARE HUMAN RIGHTS!

Down here in Florida Jeb Bush has already made it clear that he does not agree with the decision and will support legislation to curb this stuff. There was law that made it "legal" in Connecticut.

This decision should drive the point home that Supreme Court appointments have more a stake that just the anti-abortion stuff that that the fundamentalist Christians want. Liberals, with their agenda of insatiable government greed, are constantly looking for new ways to seize your income and your property. Yes, it’s a tough battle made more difficult by the appointed dictators in black robes who call themselves “judges,” but it’s a battle that we must continue to wage.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, the treasure retrieved from the from the SS Central America should be considered a national treasure.
    I'm not sure why the Govt. didn't try to accumulate the treasure before it was sold (the govt. could have afforded to buy it)
    Imagine seeing that treasure in one place, such as the Smithsonian ? It would have been a huge money making attraction.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file