Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are there ANY Coins you would consider a "National Treasure"?

2»

Comments

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lincoln looks at Kennedy pennies.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<Are there ANY Coins you would consider a "National Treasure"?>

For what it represents and its' impact on the direction of our Nation, my vote goes to the 1936 Gettysburg Commemorative coin.image

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When a coin is declared a "National Treasure" Does the current owner forfeit ownership? Does it now belong to the federal government?

Might wanna be careful what is a national treasure.

<< <i>When a coin is declared a "National Treasure" Does the current owner forfeit ownership? Does it now belong to the federal government?

Might wanna be careful what is a national treasure. >>

image...Sure don't wanna give up my Getty!!!imageimage

• << <i>Any of the four original Confederate Half Dollars. >>

I cant agree with this at all. They are not U.S coins. They are essentially tokens made by rebels in a "country" that never really existed.

<< <i>

<< <i>Any of the four original Confederate Half Dollars. >>

I cant agree with this at all. They are not U.S coins. They are essentially tokens made by rebels in a "country" that never really existed. >>

DickyBetz, to call them simply "tokens" made by "rebels" is like calling the lincoln cent a "token" made by "blue-scum bellies". The Confederacy during the early 1860's was a proud and determined people who believed in their cause and under tremendous odds, turned what was thought to originally be a four month fight, into a four year war. I don't think we can simply brush their historical significance away. They believed in their cause and fought for their beliefs. But in the end, to the victors belong the spoils, and I for one feel strongly for both sides of a divided country during a very dark time in our Nation's history. I think their coinage and currency has a valid and substantial place in our history.

• << <i>DickyBetz, to call them simply "tokens" made by "rebels" is like calling the lincoln cent a "token" made by "blue-scum bellies". The Confederacy during the early 1860's was a proud and determined people who believed in their cause and under tremendous odds, turned what was thought to originally be a four month fight, into a four year war. I don't think we can simply brush their historical significance away. They believed in their cause and fought for their beliefs. But in the end, to the victors belong the spoils, and I for one feel strongly for both sides of a divided country during a very dark time in our Nation's history. I think their coinage and currency has a valid and substantial place in our history. >>

I didnt mean to be so blunt in my opinions. They did believe in their cause and fought valiantly. I do not believe that they could be considered "national" treasures because they were not made by this "nation." They were made by The Confederate States of America not the United States of America. Would Continental Currency silver dollars be considered British national treasures because they were minted by a part of the British Empire? I think not.

• << <i>If you don't know the story of this coin, you should read it. I didn't wanna post pics of it here because they're all clearly copyrighted, but you can read about it and see a picture here. >>

What a great story. thanks LM
  • Of course none of you mentioned the complete set of 1891 Barber coins, and this is coming from a completly unbiased source....me.

Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • SS Central America 1857s $20 Liberty's; Yeah ; there's over 5000 of them found off the coast of NC, but after reading the story on them;the passengers and the mailship steamer SSCA, they certainly are considered a national treasure by me..image
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably already been mentioned but the 1792 half disme.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file