Home U.S. Coin Forum

Saints

Which of the following Saints do you have or have had?

“Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching”. - CS Lewis

Saints

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1928

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of the above.

When in doubt, don't.
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of the above.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Matt91Matt91 Posts: 54 ✭✭✭
    1920 1920-S

@BillJones I was informed via the poll counter that I could not post more than 10 options 🙄

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure I have some 24's and probably a few 1908 motto and no motto.

1920 1920-S

@FredWeinberg of those which would you consider the rarest? The 1933 is probably the ultimate conditional rarity (especially after the loss in the Langbord case). Collecting these today is quite the challenge. How has the numismatic arena changed in your time as a dealer to present?

• Matthew

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of the above, but I previously owned a 1924 and a 1908 No Motto. I now own a 1927.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had the common dates and the somewhat better ones like 1907 "arabic numerals" and HR. The super rare dates have less appeal to me than the $20 Libs. that are much tougher in pop. figures.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never had one. There was not an option for this in your poll.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

After the '33, the 27-D is the rarest date St. G.

To answer your other question, it would take a
    lot of time and verbiage - so many different
    changes in numismatics - suffice to say, PCGS
    was the biggest lasting change to the coin industry/hobby,
    in my opinion, from the 'raw' days to now.

(the Modern Issue market, and all it encompasses,
    would be a good candidate for the 2nd biggest change)

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
    1920 1920-S

@FredWeinberg thank you for your input. A gentleman such as yourself could write a book on those changes. I’d be one wide eyed individual if I ran across a raw collection of those rare dates as I’d imagine most are slabbed at this point. I was listening to an interview with John Albanese on coinweek about the changes he’s seen, makes for an interesting listen. https://youtu.be/WDBaogB0aO0

• LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of the above. Why the limited options?

1920 1920-S

@LJenkins11 I figured I’d list some of the rarer Saints that I could think of. Would have added a none of the above but couldn’t add any more options.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nada !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2019 4:11PM
    1920 1920-S

Two 1920 coins.
    A 64+ and another one I can't bring myself to part with because it's a 64 that our host thinks is a 63. :o
    (They should invite me to teach a class on the difference)

Otherwise, date sets only require 5 expensive coins.
    1921, 1929, 1930-S, 1931-or-1931-D & 1932
    I'm zero for five so far :'(

You can collect 18 out of 23 without selling your kidneys.

I picked up a raw 33 at a lawn sale recently for $50. Do you think I should get it graded? It came with a pretty modest display board. :D

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zippo!

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2019 5:51PM

@matt_dac said:
    I picked up a raw 33 at a lawn sale recently for $50. Do you think I should get it graded? It came with a pretty modest display board. :D

$50? :o

What’s on the edge? How much does it weigh? Is it magnetic? What’s on the reverse?

Sorry but I don’t think that’s real. You might have overpaid for a gold colored slug.

IMO

Cropped the pic.

You should also start your own thread.

edited April 16, 2019 6:08PM

@Hemispherical said:

@matt_dac said:

What’s on the edge? How much does it weigh? Is it magnetic? What’s on the reverse?

Sorry but I don’t think that’s real. You might have overpaid for a gold colored slug.

IMO

Cropped the pic.

I don't know if you are kidding, apologies if yes!

This is the real deal from the National Museum of American History. The above post was my attempt at humor with the discussion about the rarest Saints. :)

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2019 6:25PM

@matt_dac said:

@Hemispherical said:

@matt_dac said:

IMO

Cropped the pic.

This is the real deal from the National Museum of American History. The above post was my attempt at humor with the discussion about the rarest Saints. :)

Hmm... do not think they would use those peg/prongs/nails on the real coin. Still a fake or a facsimile for display. The following are pics from the National Museum of American History.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search?custom_search_id=collections-search&edan_local=1&op=Search+the+Collections&edan_q=1933

1920 1920-S

That's a nice one.
    1920 saints are their own deal.
    They don't seem to be graded like any other coin.
    In the old days with the coin facts you could run through them all and it would make more sense.

1920 1920-S

@ReadyFireAim I suppose a 1920 is the closest we mere mortals will come to a semi key date Saint. I hear 24 D/S-27-D/S are hard to come by 😉

They have two 33’s on display and I took pictures of both. I’ll post the other one when I get to that computer.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put me down as another nada here :/

@Hemispherical said:

@matt_dac said:

@Hemispherical said:

@matt_dac said:

IMO

Cropped the pic.

Hmm... do not think they would use those peg/prongs/nails on the real coin. Still a fake or a facsimile for display. The following are pics from the National Museum of American History.

https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search?custom_search_id=collections-search&edan_local=1&op=Search+the+Collections&edan_q=1933

This is the second one they have on display. I was taking pictures with my phone through glass of course:

The flash blocks some of the detail, but several identifying marks match. I agree it's an awful way to display these.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few old Saints... do not recall the dates.... slabbed too.... I will have to check later. Likely not the rare dates though... have had them for at least 20 years....Cheers, RickO

1920 1920-S

@Matt91 said:
    I too have a 1920 and she’s quite pretty in my opinion. I too am 0/0 for the fab 5 Saints and probably will be for a bit till >retirement. I can dream though!

So what do you think about starting a saint date set?
    You already have a great example of one of the 2 hardest to find coins in the 18 that are doable.
    (I've seen 64+ 1920 that aren't as nice looking as your 64)

The other hard one is 1912.
    Then the 1913-D is easier and it opens up considerably after those 3

1920 1920-S

@ReadyFireAim that’s what I’m planning on doing in the near future, just need the assistance of a gold master like Doug Winter to help locate the nice ones as my LCS isn’t of much help. 1915-1916 are more common and I found a few of the fab 5 on collectors corner for sale but they’re a mortgage. Here’s my latest Saint pickup. https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1018120/newest-purchase#latest

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    1931 1931-D 1932

I guess it really doesn’t qualify when your grandparents (married in 1932) received bright shiny 1932 $20 dollar gold for a wedding gift, and then promptly deposited it into their bank account.
    So, unfortunately, I never owned one.

1920 1920-S

@7over8 eh technically by proxy but that’s a stretch 😉. That’s quite an interesting story to tell.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the "nada" club :'(

1920 1920-S

Looks like someone stepped on it & did a pirouette.
    Glad I'll never have to hold myself back on that one.

• olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

@7over8 said:
    I guess it really doesn’t qualify when your grandparents (married in 1932) received bright shiny 1932 $20 dollar gold for a wedding gift, and then promptly deposited it into their bank account.
    So, unfortunately, I never owned one.

Only if they kept it

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

None of the above dates. Sorry.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old thread alert - and all I have is a 1924

Mr_Spud

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud Catches me every time. :smile:

• jomjom Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2023 12:49PM

I've owned these at one time or another (no longer). The 1924 was one that had that weird toning (near lower center of the obverse). I've seen that a few times on 1924 for some reason. The 23-D had a great toning band around the obverse rim you can't really see in the photo. The 10-S I sold to Mark Hooten's brother....anyone remember Mark? He wrote a lot of articles on various topics. I was going to ask if anyone knew what happened to him....I might as well as now. :smile:

jom

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭✭✭

• OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve never really felt any attraction towards saints, but I can agree that they have a pretty design.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had that model as a kid!! 'The Fate of the Mutineers!!' in the Pirates of the Caribbean series. Also had 'Dead man's raft'!! Ah yes, 1972....A much simpler time. But I digress......

I never had any of the Saints in the poll but would like to pick up a common date, such as 1923, 1925 or 1927 P in MS 64.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file