Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Show off your favorite TTM autographs

Almost a decade ago, and inspired by the likes of Doug (Dboneesq), Matt (lawnmowerman), Barry (yankeeno7), Mike (thekid8), and so many more that I apologize for leaving out, I started sending out rookie cards for players to sign TTM (through the mail). My original TTM thread from 2009 can be seen here:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/698449/nam812s-hof-star-signed-rookies-thread-ttm-ip/p1

It's a really good feeling when you open your mailbox and see your own handwriting on the return address of the SASE (self addressed stamped envelope) you sent because you know it's a TTM mail response from a player.

Over the years I have gotten some of them authenticated by PSA/DNA, but I have kept a lot of them raw as well. Here are some of my favorite responses, and hopefully others will share some of theirs as well.

First some of my favorites that I have kept raw:

Here are some of my favorites that I have had encapsulated:

Comments

• lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

Being a cowboys fan, getting Darren Woodson's auto was a thrill. My pro line set is in my link. I need to get busy on it again.

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!
    I just learned of this ttm practice last week. I mailed out about 12 letters between Friday and today.
    I added SASE to all envelopes, and started sending 2 cards in each one, in the event they wanted to keep one. I am excited to see what results occur.

@Aspie_Rocco said:

started sending 2 cards in each one, in the event they wanted to keep one. I am excited to see what results occur.

Some players surely will. I've had.more than one player keep my pro line cards and send cards from another set instead. It was nice of them to take the time to send something but not being able to fit in my set was a bummer.

• burghmanburghman Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2019 8:33AM

Not cards, but my Dad sent each team a pile of cuts that looked like baseballs back in the early 50s. Here's a sampling of some of the cooler ones. The Yankees were mostly authentic (all except the Stengels) and I auctioned them last year; unfortunately, the Dodgers were deemed fakes so I assume they were done by a ballboy - even if they're not legit, they're still very cool in my opinion (if only Lasorda had signed the correct side!). I've got these for every team, just about every player, for 52-54 (I think he sent to some teams each year vs. every team in a single year).

Yankees

Dodgers

Random (sold the Waners and the combo Harridge/Connolly are at HA and selling over the next few months)

Jim

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burghman said:
    Not cards, but my Dad sent each team a pile of cuts that looked like baseballs back in the early 50s. Here's a sampling of some of the cooler ones. The Yankees were mostly authentic (all except the Stengels) and I auctioned them last year; unfortunately, the Dodgers were deemed fakes so I assume they were done by a ballboy - even if they're not legit, they're still very cool in my opinion (if only Lasorda had signed the correct side!). I've got these for every team, just about every player, for 52-54 (I think he sent to some teams each year vs. every team in a single year).

Those are cool Jim. I bet a lot of that went on (ballboys or clubhouse attendees signing for the players) in the innocent times of the 50s. Thanks for posting those.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to admire the dedication and effort that it takes to do TTMs.

I confess, I'm a procrastinator. Always thought of doing it but never did.

Thanx for sharing Nick and Jim.

Mike

@Stone193 said:

No worries Mike! There's always tomorrow

😁

@Stone193 said:

More effort than anything else Mike, especially if you're including personal notes like I was. Based on the comments in the original thread of mine where some members said I had gotten some tough signers, I found that the personal notes helped my successes so it was definitely worth the effort.

@nam812 said:

@Stone193 said:

More effort than anything else Mike, especially if you're including personal notes like I was. Based on the comments in the original thread of mine where some members said I had gotten some tough signers, I found that the personal notes helped my successes so it was definitely worth the effort.

Every single ttm I have ever sent went out with a personal note. Taking the time to hand write it is a big plus. As long as it's not a bunch of BS but instead, comes from the heart, your passion really shines through and goes a long way towards a success

@lawnmowerman said:
    Every single ttm I have ever sent went out with a personal note. Taking the time to hand write it is a big plus. As long as it's not a bunch of BS but instead, comes from the heart, your passion really shines through and goes a long way towards a success

>

I did not hand write mine Matt. :(

edited April 8, 2019 1:08PM

@nam812 said:

@lawnmowerman said:

>

I did not hand write mine Matt. :(

I didn't at first and was bummed about the returns. I thought just signing my name was personal enough. Then, after Randy and I discussed it one night, I started hand writing like him and was amazed at the difference. I think hand writing puts it on a way more personal level for both the player and collector

• hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

• tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭

I did this years ago, and still have a bushel of the cards acquired TTM. The last cards I sent out were probably over 7 years ago or more. Glen Hubbard returned two signed cards from 86 Donruss and 88 Fleer after being sent over 7 years ago. Amazing.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Some great signed cards here. Really love this stuff. Returning TTM must feel better than getting hits ripping packs.

Nam was that Frydrych TTM when stamps cost .15c and dial up internet was cutting edge? :#

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

@akuracy503 said:
    Some great signed cards here. Really love this stuff. Returning TTM must feel better than getting hits ripping packs.

Nam was that Frydrych TTM when stamps cost .15c and dial up internet was cutting edge? :#

2009 to 2010 just like all the rest. What would inspire that assumption? That he signed it in pen?

• akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@akuracy503 said:

2009 to 2010 just like all the rest. What would inspire that assumption? That he signed it in pen?

Since Frydrych passed at somewhat an early age I thought that could’ve been vintage ink. Cool piece.

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

edited April 8, 2019 7:59PM

@akuracy503 said:
    Since Frydrych passed at somewhat an early age I thought that could’ve been vintage ink. Cool piece.

Mailed out on February 10, 2009. Received back February 20, 2009. Fidrych passed away April 13, 2009.

Here are a few more successes from back in the day.

• rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

I use to do TTM as a kid, but no longer have many of those items.
    I just sent out to Vida Blue (sent my 78 OPC card from my pack in the recent group break).
    I am thinking about starting to send some TTM again...where is the best place to get current address lists?
    -Michael

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rounding3rd said:
    where is the best place to get current address lists?

I think this is the best resource, but I'm sure others can confirm: http://www.sportscollectors.net/default.aspx

• If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars. J Paul Getty

TheBenchTrading.com also has/had a free TTM database. I'm sure there are a bunch of free TTM resources to try before going to a paid list of TTM addresses.

• Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

I did a lot of TTM years ago... Here are a few autos...

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s two that I just sent in for the group sub we’re doing. I’m doing living mvp’s of the players I liked as a kid.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

@BPorter26 said:
    Here’s two that I just sent in for the group sub we’re doing. I’m doing living mvp’s of the players I liked as a kid.

You got these TTM?

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that personal notes are a big boost. My favorite part of all my TTMs was developing a relationship with Gino Cappelletti, first as “pen pals,” then in person at shows and such. My favorite TTMs in my collection are the personal notes he sent back when he returned my cards:

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ironmanfan said:

@BPorter26 said:

You got these TTM?

IMF

Technically yes because I put them in the mail, but this was a private signing I did on sportscollectors.net

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭

Here's my favorite of the no-fee TTMs I've sent out over the last few years:

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2019 7:43PM

Sent this card in recently, and Hubie signed and returned it within a week!

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Are you supposed to send money with ttm requests?

Mostly no, but a $5 bill to a guy everyone knows doesn't sign a lot of requests can go a long way. The worst that can happen is that he tosses your letter in the garbage and then goes out and has a hot dog and a root beer on you.

When you do enough TTMs you'll get to know who is tough and who is not by work of mouth. It never bothered me to add a few bucks for the older, non-star guys that didn't make big bucks during their playing days.

@nam812 said:

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Mostly no, but a $5 bill to a guy everyone knows doesn't sign a lot of requests can go a long way. The worst that can happen is that he tosses your letter in the garbage and then goes out and has a hot dog and a root beer on you.

When you do enough TTMs you'll get to know who is tough and who is not by work of mouth. It never bothered me to add a few bucks for the older, non-star guys that didn't make big bucks during their playing days.

I agree with this. Additionally, there are a bunch of guys who sign for donations to their charities. Steve Garvey and Lenny Wilkens are 2 who come to mind.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• 45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2019 11:44AM

I sent Goose Gossage a check for $10 and left it blank, so he could fill in the name of his favorite charity. He gladly signed a rookie card for me.

• RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@45isodd said:

I sent Goose Gossage a check for $10 and left it blank, so he could fill in the name of his favorite charity. He gladly signed a rookie card for me.

Gorgeous sig!

Most all stars prefer a dontation to their charity
    Ryne Sandberg
    Andre Dawson
    Roger Clemens
    To name a few.

Two I know off the top of my head that won’t sign outside of private signings are
    Bob Gibson and Dennis Eckersley . I’ve even heard that Sandy Koufax rejected an Auto despite the fact the person sent like, $200 cash. He returned the cash as well.

My TTM spring training Sigs I got this year have been Jose Leclerc, Trevor Williams, and Ned Yost (a really good signer).
    Matt Williams is a phenomenal signer as well.

You can also send your cards to their respective front office throughout the year as well.
    Occasionally a high profile name will sign and send back to you, but it may take a really long time.

Wow that Gossage is tremendous! And thanks for the tip!

Yaz Master Set

edited April 13, 2019 8:27AM

@Rofles said:

@45isodd said:

I sent Goose Gossage a check for $10 and left it blank, so he could fill in the name of his favorite charity. He gladly signed.

Most all stars prefer a dontation to their charity

>

You can also send your cards to their respective front office throughout the year as well.
    Occasionally a high profile name will sign and send back to you, but it may take a really long time.

How much on average do you send for donations?

I have now sent 19 requests through the stadium addresses. Is there a better mailing address choice for most players?
    Is the stadium mail less likely to be read/signed?

Thanks for all the pics and info folks!

For those that send cards TTM, do you just have the signer return the card in the SASE without any protection for the card? I have heard stories where signatures were smeared and/or cards damaged if providing a top loader or card saver for return...what is everyone's personal practice?

-Michael

edited April 16, 2019 9:01AM

@Aspie_Rocco said:

Louis Oliver (Miami dolphins) sent my money back. Nice dude

@rounding3rd said:
    For those that send cards TTM, do you just have the signer return the card in the SASE without any protection for the card? I have heard stories where signatures were smeared and/or cards damaged if providing a top loader or card saver for return...what is everyone's personal practice?

-Michael

For sure. I have received my fair share of smudged autos. I then switched over to bubble mailers and use magnetos in place of card savers. Since then I've never received a smudged auto. I know it's more expensive this way but I'd rather have quality, unsmudged autos

Vida Blue returned back in 16 days (I included $10 donation to his charity)

• _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

I waited 20 years and it finally came.

EagleEyeKid said:

See you in leaves?

• _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

I think it's heaven. Thou shalt not makis funus of autous.

EagleEyeKid said:

I don't know Bryan. God has been known to have his boy Jesus do clubhouse signatures for him. I'd get a quick opinion on that.

I sent out 20 ttm requests and got my First one back today!
    Pat responded in less than a week!
    Rock on Pat Neshek and Phillies!!!

All requests sent through stadium addresses

Rocco, Neshek is also facilitating TTM requests for his Phillies teammates, most in exchange for a small charitable donation.

Yaz Master Set

edited April 24, 2019 10:58AM

@DBesse27 said:
    Rocco, Neshek is also facilitating TTM requests for his Phillies teammates, most in exchange for a small charitable donation.

Doh! I just sent him a team set as a thank you for the reply. That is a fantastic idea! Any recommendations on the donation size. As a Phillies fan this would be the crown of my collection.