Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newly found branch mint proof specimen?? TAKE A LOOK!

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    @JBK

Aw shucks.... ur gonna make me blush :D

Thank You! :)

You certainly earned your keep - I'll start giving all your posts a like or agree so that you get your 5th star sooner than later (not that it makes any difference having 5 stars). I'd give you one of mine but I don't know how I earned them so I might not get it back. :p

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

$1.14 and FREE SHIPPING from China!

I wonder if anyone has proposed to the government that the best way to defeat the Chinese threat is to buy $1 items from Aliexpress and let the Chinese government go bankrupt on the shipping subsidy!

Maybe the Chinese government negotiated a great deal USPS, and it is the USPS providing a shipping subsidy.

I got this great card protector after waiting 6 weeks, but it was worth it.

https://ebay.com/itm/Retro-1881-E-Pluribus-Unum-Nackter-weiblicher-Schütze-Silberdollar-1-Silbermü/113470528652?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now if I can only remember what I learned.

Not being facetious.

I did learn something that should have been obvious.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2019 10:41AM

Just realized insider2 has posted something related exactly to this as I was going through some of my old responses looking for a coin I've posted before.
    I'll add it here as a reference link.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12231358/#Comment_12231358

@Insider2 said:
    Image provided by the ANA's Numismatist magazine. The anonymous writer claims that the doubling resulted from a laser used to make the counterfeit die.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2019 2:04PM

Shape of o in god seems off to this non expert.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2019 11:09AM

Would be better if this pile of felgerkarb thread were locked and left up for educational purposes rather than poofed.
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@yspsales said:
    Now if I can only remember what I learned.

Not being facetious.

I did learn something that should have been obvious.

Yes, there is a lot to digest. I think I will book mark the thread and refer back to it occasionally.

One thing that sticks in my mind is the reminder that on dies which had a mintmark added separately (all older dies), identical doubling on everything (incl MM) should not occur.

Also, a “perfect strike” does not necessarily prove authenticity.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I wonder if anyone has proposed to the government that the best way to defeat the Chinese threat is to buy $1 items from Aliexpress and let the Chinese government go bankrupt on the shipping subsidy!

Maybe the Chinese government negotiated a great deal USPS, and it is the USPS providing a shipping subsidy.

International postal rates are determined by UPU. So, no, it is the Chinese government unless the distributor ships from a U.S. address.

upu.int/en/activities/transport/basic-rate-and-internal-air-conveyance-rates.html

• Options

@davewesen said:

@jmlanzaf said:

https://ebay.com/itm/Retro-1881-E-Pluribus-Unum-Nackter-weiblicher-Schütze-Silberdollar-1-Silbermü/113470528652?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

ooo...Chinese hobo dollars!

• Options

@ChrisH821 said:
    Just realized insider2 has posted something related exactly to this as I was going through some of my old responses looking for a coin I've posted before.
    I'll add it here as a reference link.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/12231358/#Comment_12231358

@Insider2 said:
    Image provided by the ANA's Numismatist magazine. The anonymous writer claims that the doubling resulted from a laser used to make the counterfeit die.

Excellent catch!

Yes, this coin coupled with the @insider2 coin sort of prove two things:
    1. The Chinese dies are laser cut (hence the stria on the 1887-S)
    2. The Chinese need better vibration isolation in their workshops because the laser raster is creating doubled dies!!!

AND we also can get ready because:
    3. Chinese counterfeiters accidentally create doubled dies which are going to start to get posted to this board by the hundreds!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Nicely detailed, but not struck on a medal press (SF didn't have one), not properly polished for a proof (SF used lime to resurface dies and never polishing rouge), not a proof.

But- remains a nice coin.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2019 11:56AM

@JBK said:

Also, a “perfect strike” does not necessarily prove authenticity.

Ain't that the truth!

Not sure what stretch of logic got him to, "It doesn't look like any other Morgan I've ever seen....therefore it must be real!!" :frowning:

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

@Barucci911 said:
    This guy will be giving me a full refund plus “emotional distress $$$” 😂😂

you mean, giving the forum emotional distress money!

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options

@RogerB said:
    Nope. Nicely detailed, but not struck on a medal press (SF didn't have one), not properly polished for a proof (SF used lime to resurface dies and never polishing rouge), not a proof.

Oh. this is embarrassing.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2019 12:36PM

AT.

Reminds me, did the OP weigh the coin? Silver-plated copper would be easy to distinguish. I thought that all the tests had been run.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@TradesWithChops said:

@RogerB said:

Oh. this is embarrassing.

Now that you have all quoted him he can't just edit it out of existence! :/:D

• Options

Another amazing journey down the wormhole with another alt.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    AT.

Reminds me, did the OP weigh the coin? Silver-plated copper would be easy to distinguish. I thought that all the tests had been run.

Yes he weighed it. But those are actually struck in silver...which is why they aren't $1.14 like the cheap ones.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me want to buy a few counterfeit Morgans just for educational purposes.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@yspsales said:
    Makes me want to buy a few counterfeit Morgans just for educational purposes.

dont do it. dont feed the hand that may single handedly take down the industry.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there an apple badge for the teacher? :D

• Options

Oh, I'm amazed by the expertise here. No doubt about that.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2019 1:50PM

@AUandAG said:
    Looks messed with and AT to my eyes. Rims are not proper for a proof specimen.

bob

Agreed. Whether it’s genuine or not, the toning is artificial.

Didn’t read full thread before posting.
    I now see it is confirmed fake.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have I read this thread before??? :p

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2019 8:49AM

"...is that the Morgan I have shown has the strongest strike out of any Morgan I’ve seen"

I agree.

You said this several times and that's why I agreed with the others that it had to be fake. The detail on the hair above the ear and breast feathers on the reverse were sharper than and UNLIKE any proof that I have seen. It didn't look like anything that I've seen, and I've seen many, many of these dollars, too. That's exactly what makes it very suspicious.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    I am coming to the party late, sorry. I do not like the engraving on the hair, eyes, etc. The "lesser" details are missing and the simple bits (eg hair strands) are more deeply incised into the die. I think this gives the mistaken impression that it is well struck, not to mention the more modern means counterfeiters have of producing their version of the original coins.
    This is the part of just not looking right....

Totally agree with this about the hair looking off. Especially the curls of hair closest to the neck. Morgan’s aren’t my series, but the hair just looked off to me.

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

I have learned a lot by observing threads like this one where it turns out to be fake. Today I learned that there is such a thing as "laser doubling".

I'm curious - if eBay intervenes on behalf of the OP and gets them a refund, do they have to return the "coin"?

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barucci911 said:
    Here are some more pics, natural sunlight. Gonna try and have this really photographed professionally soon.

e

o

Obviously fake.
    It's your money to waste though.

• Options

@kbbpll said:
    I have learned a lot by observing threads like this one where it turns out to be fake. Today I learned that there is such a thing as "laser doubling".

I'm curious - if eBay intervenes on behalf of the OP and gets them a refund, do they have to return the "coin"?

If they didn't, wouldn't it be stealing?

• Options

@kbbpll said:

Usually. You don't get the money and the item.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is a counterfeit, ebay will refund, and normally, you do not ship it back.

In some ways, that is great, others it just feeds the bear. Also, the person selling the fake is not going to pay for a $9 return label on a $2 fake. It is just the cost of doing business, losing a few along the way.

• Options
    kbbpllkbbpll Posts: 542 ✭✭✭✭

I was curious because you would be returning a known counterfeit to a known seller of counterfeits. Sort of like "aiding and abetting" a future crime.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great thread! Appreciate the enthusiasm of the OP. I thought I cherried a MPL Lincoln... and I was a bit older than 19!

Also really appreciate those who (gently) educated the OP.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

@kbbpll said:
    I was curious because you would be returning a known counterfeit to a known seller of counterfeits. Sort of like "aiding and abetting" a future crime.

If the seller is intentionally selling counterfeits (accidents happen), he can get 100 new ones from Aliexpress.

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2019 3:41PM

Is that Chinese? Nice workmanship. Could be Gallery Mint :p

Hair and breast feather detail incredible. As in unbelievable.

I'll take a 33-S Walker any day :#

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options

@ColonelJessup said:
    Is that Chinese? Nice workmanship. Could be Gallery Mint :p

Hair and breast feather detail incredible. As in unbelievable.

I'll take a 33-S Walker any day :#

Did we ever look for 33-S walkers on AliExpress?

• Options

@ilikemonsters said:
    @Hemispherical Wow, where did you find so many Branch Mint Proofs?!?!

From the new branch Mint -> Shanghai

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

Well, if there is one thing I learned here today, its that Ali Baba and his 40 Thieves are alive and very busy.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options

Occam’s Razor.

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

200!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file